Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    at 10 am on a Saturday? For shame, for shame
    :pac:

Yes, staring down the barrell of a 4 year olds birthday party in the house and it's raining, comprende?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I had the course map up on my office wall last year and as I reached each marker I ticked it off, great for the confidence to see how far you've run in training and once you reach 20, how 'little' there is to go! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I had the course map up on my office wall last year and as I reached each marker I ticked it off, great for the confidence to see how far you've run in training and once you reach 20, how 'little' there is to go! ;)

SUCH a good idea!!! new to the thread folks (and boards!) :D but it's great to have all the questions answered!! Just did my 20mile, and i'm buzzing after it!! If I can do 20, I can definitely do 26, yay!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

SUCH a good idea!!! new to the thread folks (and boards!) :D but it's great to have all the questions answered!! Just did my 20mile, and i'm buzzing after it!! If I can do 20, I can definitely do 26, yay!!! :D

Well done bubblypinky. It's a great confidence booster alright. The other 6.2 will be no bother to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

Thanks Nules10, it was my first time using gels, and couldn't believe the difference they made!!! Roll on the 31st!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'm doing my 20 tomorrow morning with 3 others. Massive plate of pasta and meatballs on the way now, plus a huge bowl of porridge in the morning. I will hopefully get to do another 20 next week, house move going according to plan. Hope it stops raining!
    Good luck everyone, just 30 days left to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

I'm doing my first 20 tomorrow, and had planned on doing another 2 x 20. This would mean I only have 2 weeks from the last 20 until the marathon itself. Talking to friend whos a fairly experienced runner and he reckons the last 20 is too close to the race and I should be on the taper from that weekend. Will 2 x 20 mile LSR's be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

antomagoo wrote: »
    I'm doing my first 20 tomorrow, and had planned on doing another 2 x 20. This would mean I only have 2 weeks from the last 20 until the marathon itself. Talking to friend whos a fairly experienced runner and he reckons the last 20 is too close to the race and I should be on the taper from that weekend. Will 2 x 20 mile LSR's be enough?

Hmmm, I wouldn't recommend doing three - or even two - 20 mile runs on successive weekends.
    And your friend is right, on your first marathon in particular you should take the three week taper.

The only real advantage to doing a 20 mile run instead of 18 or 19 is psychological, you're going a distance closer to the full marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Hi Ray, there seems to be a fairly big difference between novice 1 and novice 2 with respect to the three week taper. I was gonna switch to the novice 1 now and do the more mileage. Good or bad idea?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|||333 miles||
    Nules10|||384.5||
    liamog|||249.1 miles||
    Concerned2|||440.33 miles||
    Househunter|||488 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    TomD101|||262since 04/07||
    ShivDCM|2|8|345m|calf strain|
    BobMac104|||360.05 ||
    red face dave|||204 miles||
    Younganne|||217.5m|
    rom|||328.43 miles||
    TiptoeMushroom|||260.5km since June 22nd. ||
    mazken|||285.8 miles||
    maggiemissy|||419 miles| |
    run44 (Aoife)|||384.7 miles since June||
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1||

finished 5m on tuesday with a sore calf. I stayed off it until this morning. i tried a few miles but still some soreness there. I stopped running so as not to do any more damage. This week was a step back week for me so no great loss but next weekend I was planning a 20 mile trial run before the taper. ive been doing plenty of stretching and rolling. worrying me this is after so much work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Vagga|||333 miles||
    Nules10|||384.5||
    liamog|||249.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    BobMac104|||360.05 ||
    Younganne|||217.5m|
    rom|||328.43 miles||
    mazken|||285.8 miles||
    run44 (Aoife)|4|30miles|414.7 miles since June|Starting to feel like a runner now... ;)|
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1||

Vagga|||333 miles||
    Nules10|2|7|391.5|leg still at me getting worried now :(|
    liamog|||249.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    BobMac104|||360.05 ||
    Younganne|||217.5m|
    rom|||328.43 miles||
    mazken|||285.8 miles||
    run44 (Aoife)|4|30miles|414.7 miles since June|Starting to feel like a runner now... ;)|
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1||

shivDCM wrote: »
    finished 5m on tuesday with a sore calf. I stayed off it until this morning. i tried a few miles but still some soreness there. I stopped running so as not to do any more damage. This week was a step back week for me so no great loss but next weekend I was planning a 20 mile trial run before the taper. ive been doing plenty of stretching and rolling. worrying me this is after so much work.

Shiv hope the calf gets better soon. i am sure it will. Keep the chin up. Nearly there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Hi Ray, there seems to be a fairly big difference between novice 1 and novice 2 with respect to the three week taper. I was gonna switch to the novice 1 now and do the more mileage. Good or bad idea?? Thanks

There is a bit of a difference, yeah. Partly that's because weeks 15 and 16 have a pace run in Novice2 while Novice1 has a longer midweek run -- Novice1 has more mileage all the way through the plan because it is all run at an easy pace.

For the last few weeks, it doesn't really matter which one you follow - go with whichever you feel more comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Vagga|||333 miles||
    liamog|||249.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    BobMac104|||360.05 ||
    Younganne|||217.5m|
    rom|||328.43 miles||
    mazken|4|33|318.8 miles|good step back week! not as daunted about next week's schedule as I thought I'd be! we're getting there...slowly but surely :) |
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I am behind in my training and only got up to 15 miles today. Suffered from not having enough water and lack of a breakfast (Stupid i know)

Missed the Half Marathon through injury and most of my runs have been in the 7 to 12 mile range.

Any suggestions for the rest of the month. Can get out 2 evenings a week and at the weekend. Planning on using gels etc to help with my energy levels. Pace is about 5' 10 per km for shorter runs and hoping to do marathon sub 4 hours so 5' 40.

Thread seems to suggest max of one more long run of about 20 miles. Would i need more for my endurance?

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I am behind in my training and only got up to 15 miles today. Suffered from not having enough water and lack of a breakfast (Stupid i know)

Missed the Half Marathon through injury and most of my runs have been in the 7 to 12 mile range.

Any suggestions for the rest of the month. Can get out 2 evenings a week and at the weekend. Planning on using gels etc to help with my energy levels. Pace is about 5' 10 per km for shorter runs and hoping to do marathon sub 4 hours so 5' 40.

Thread seems to suggest max of one more long run of about 20 miles. Would i need more for my endurance?

Shane
    Is this your first marathon? Are you committed to doing this marathon? Personally, if most of my runs were in the 7-12 mile range with a longest run of 15 miles, 4 weeks before the big event, I'd be trying to find another marathon to run. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Hi Krusty,

Yes am committed at this stage and yes first marathon. Was only aiming for the marathon series but decided to give it a go.

I am sure i can do it but i have had to ease up on the pace. Did the 10 mile in 1 hour 23 and was going well for 1 hour 50 for the half marathon.

Given the short period left what do you think would be my best plan.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Krusty,

Yes am committed at this stage and yes first marathon. Was only aiming for the marathon series but decided to give it a go.

I am sure i can do it but i have had to ease up on the pace. Did the 10 mile in 1 hour 23 and was going well for 1 hour 50 for the half marathon.

Given the short period left what do you think would be my best plan.

Shane
    Hi Shane, you gotta face facts; it's not going to be pretty. It's going to be a hard slog. You're biggest challenge is going to be a lack of endurance. Forget about your time goal. you haven't done the training to aim for a time goal. Your focus should be on completing the marathon based on the work you've put in.

You've realistically got one long run remaining, plus a semi-long run the following week. If I were you, I'd be aiming for an 18 mile run next week, but I would slow the pace from your normal long run pace, so that you spend more time on your feet, while reducing the risk of injury due to over-extending yourself (which you will most certainly be doing). The following week, aim for 15 miles (again, slow, slow.. to try to get your body to adapt). Final week: 7-8 miles. Good luck. Watch out for sign of injury and over-training.

Thanks for the advice Krusty.

Sound sensible.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jamesmurphy1

Hi Lads

Done the Athlone 3/4 to day 03.17 and as I am aiming for 04.30 for the DCM I am really happy with my time to day considering that I thought it was a very hilly course. Question is I will be doing 1 more LSR before I start to taper what distance should it be and should I do it next week end or the following. To day was second 20 Mile in my program

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Hi Lads

Done the Athlone 3/4 to day 03.17 and as I am aiming for 04.30 for the DCM I am really happy with my time to day considering that I thought it was a very hilly course. Question is I will be doing 1 more LSR before I start to taper what distance should it be and should I do it next week end or the following. To day was second 20 Mile in my program

Well done! Great time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Vagga|4|38 miles|371 miles|Both my and other halves birthday this week, but still got 4 runs done, including my first ever 20 - very happy with how things are going :cool:|
    liamog|||249.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    BobMac104|||360.05 ||
    Younganne|||217.5m|
    rom|||328.43 miles||
    mazken|4|33|318.8 miles|good step back week! not as daunted about next week's schedule as I thought I'd be! we're getting there...slowly but surely :) |
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1||

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Vagga|4|38 miles|371 miles|Both my and other halves birthday this week, but still got 4 runs done, including my first ever 20 - very happy with how things are going :cool:|
    liamog|||249.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    BobMac104|||360.05 ||
    Younganne|4|31|248.5m|training going well, no problems at the moment TG...hope that continues!
    rom|||328.43 miles||
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1||

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

liamog|||249.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    BobMac104|||360.05 ||
    Younganne|4|31|248.5m|training going well, no problems at the moment TG...hope that continues!
    rom|4|29 miles|394.64 miles||
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1|| I started wearing skins as I got sick when I was out for the last 18 miler with a cold. But the skins are too tight and so its making my LSR very hard as they might be restricting my chest a bit. Anyone else use them on a LSR. Also wondering what do you all eat before your LSR morning and the night before ? Feeling very tired all the time now. Sweating at night in bed. I am taking Kinetica after the LSRs and hard sessions but I am going to take it more as I am feeling wrecked. Had planned to do a 20m today but I am a bit mad. Will just try an 18m next week and leave it wat that. My LSRs have been 14,15,sick,17,18,sick,14 (upset stomach so couldn't got farther),14 (toady) Have been doing lots of other millage since 28th June which is when my training started. Still worried that I won't get through it. Will go with a pacer as I find it very hard to slow down and my garmin lies to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

run44 wrote: »
    Well done! Great time
    Last year I took 3:17 at Athlone and came in at 4:30 in Dublin - Today I did 3:04 but had too walk up the two big hills ( ran all the way last year) I think you should go with the 4:30 pacers and kick on if you are feeling strng in the last 5 miles. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

liamog|||249.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    BobMac104|||360.05 ||
    red face dave|3|15|219 miles|Missed my LSR this week a few little niggles so I said better not push it, a tough week this week is more important|
    rom|4|29 miles|328.43 miles||
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1||

I have been advised to adopt a run/walk strategy for DCM :( I feel like such a fake on here now. Maybe i can run REALLY fast and walk REALLY fast too ;) Am a bit disappointed but what can ya do. No point in doing any more damage and i have a sub 2 half i want to chase after DCM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Nules10 wrote: »
    I have been advised to adopt a run/walk strategy for DCM :( I feel like such a fake on here now. Maybe i can run REALLY fast and walk REALLY fast too ;) Am a bit disappointed but what can ya do. No point in doing any more damage and i have a sub 2 half i want to chase after DCM :)

Nules its still possible to get a a desired time..last yr a girl was along side me for alot of the marathon...she'd run ahead of me and by the time i caught her as she was walking she was off running again...at 24 miles she was still doing this......the only thing is you need to practice this, like any new strategy so maybe for the rest of the training do this and see how you get on...whatever time breakdown you decide or are advised stick to it for the rest of the training and you should be fine...don't worry about time too much, just mind yourself.

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Nules its still possible to get a a desired time..last yr a girl was along side me for alot of the marathon...she'd run ahead of me and by the time i caught her as she was walking she was off running again...at 24 miles she was still doing this......the only thing is you need to practice this, like any new strategy so maybe for the rest of the training do this and see how you get on...whatever time breakdown you decide or are advised stick to it for the rest of the training and you should be fine...don't worry about time too much, just mind yourself.
    Thanks younganne. Yeah he said the rest of my training was to be a run/walk strategy. Run for as long as i can but once pain sets in i have to walk and to keep doing this the next day and so on. I have to forget about my training plan as i am basically back to where i was in June :rolleyes: I am quite relieved to be honest as i was beginning to worry about how i would run the full distance and i guess he took all of that worry out of my hands tonight. and gave me some mad looking blue tape to strap on my legs in the morning :D your training is coming on great, i am rooting for everyone else :)

Advertisement