Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you carry your gels

Options
  • 20-09-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

For a Marathon.

I've tried a few things.
    • I hate those batman utility belts!
    • I've used old rowing suits rolled down and gels tucked into the rolls (I tucked in mars bars for my first marathon :D). This is a favoured option actually but since I often lose some gels I have to pin them to the suit. The suit is also a bit heavy and weighs significantly if it rains. I won't wear the suit this time (it needs to be retired)
    • I wrapped them in an elastic band and tucked into the pocket of a cycling top for the last one, but eh didn't use them. Can't guage that one for effectiveness
    • For Conn this year I pinned them to my race/number belt with the flap folded over it. Not too bad but a bit flappy, and I lost one.
    • For the DCM pacing gig last year I held them in my hand but that was annoying too
    Anyone tried putting them under a cap? This will be Marathon number 10 and you would think I'd have this sorted but don't so thats that. Any useful tips much appreciated in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Duke Fame

I have used an old armband thing I caried my ipod in.
    A bit messy to get them out but it did work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I hate those batman utility belts!
    If you have a really good marathon, you'll have sweat in your eyes, blood stains in your socks, salt-lines on your face, saliva dripping off your chin and shoes full of wee. Don't worry about how the batman bet looks. In the grand scheme of things, it won't matter. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

I saw this link recently which describes what sounds like a fairly decent gel carrying method near the bottom of the article

http://runfastermaster.blogspot.com/2007/11/boston-marathon-tip-1-how-to-carry-gels.html

I use a small bum bag something like this but without the bottle holders. It is a bit more discreet than the fuel belts and you defintely won't be mistaken for the Dark Night and have to stop mid-race to defeat The Joker.

Although if it is Dublin you are running what with it being Hallowe'en and all, maybe a Batman style utility belt is the way to go!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Arm wallet for me, I'm used to wearing one for carrying keys/phone etc when running home from work, there's no distracting bounce, and it will hold three gels easily (fourth goes in my shorts pocket)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

There's one way that I like - pin the top of the gell to the OUTSIDE of your shorts, then flip the gel over the hem, INTO the shorts, where they don't flap. Assuming you're wearing underwear, they don't chafe either. Then fish them out and rip them off when you want them.

Alternatively, use running shorts with a zip pocket across the back hem - two of my pairs have this and they take three or four gels handy enough.

The issue I see is the wrappers - my conscience doesn't want to drop them on the road, and my body doesn't want that sticky residue (quite enough of my own, thank you :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

If you have a really good marathon, you'll have sweat in your eyes, blood stains in your socks, salt-lines on your face, saliva dripping off your chin and shoes full of wee. Don't worry about how the batman bet looks. In the grand scheme of things, it won't matter. :)

Never mind KC, the batman utility belt does look awful and I'd be on your side with this one. :D

I've been experimenting over the summer and have decided that pinning the gels to the waistband of my shorts is the way to go, 3 pins per gel so that there is no movement. You need to be careful you don't pierce the gels though, did did on my first attempt and it wasn't pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Does your race belt not have little loops to hold the gels rather than pin them? I have two of these race belts and they carry 6 gels each perfectly. Probably late in the day but if your stuck i could loan you one and post it in the morning, should get it by Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

So dignified ! instantly gone off the idea of a marathon ever ! think it was the weeie shoes that did it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I pin a few to my shorts like TRR does and put a few in the back zip pocket. Another thing i've used is safety pins and rubber bands (using the rubber bands as string to tie around the middle of the gel) which works fairly well but you would want to practice it first. It's usually something i make up the night before in the hotel, i really should give it more attention, there's enough to be worrying about as it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I have one of these, used it in Dublin last year.

http://www.runworx.ie/hilly/Arm-Gel-Carrier

Like JB says if you want to try it I can whack it in the post or pass it on to someone going to Berlin if you want to try it out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I just use a bog standard Moneybelt/Fanny pack. Much more roomy than your standard Gel Belt so it fits more gels (and other stuff like Nuun Tablets etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

This is how I pin the gels to shorts :

http://coachlevi.com/running/how-to-pin-energy-gels-to-your-running-shorts/

Practice this before hand. MY first attempt at this cost me a pair of shorts ! To avoid chafing wrap the sides of the gel with a medical tape. It's also useful to nick the top the gel before pinning them on to make them easier to open on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

pgmcpq wrote: »
    This is how I pin the gels to shorts :

http://coachlevi.com/running/how-to-pin-energy-gels-to-your-running-shorts/

Practice this before hand. MY first attempt at this cost me a pair of shorts ! To avoid chafing wrap the sides of the gel with a medical tape. It's also useful to nick the top the gel before pinning them on to make them easier to open on the run.

+1 on this - but strawberry and banana - couldn't stomach that :p

I've also used a SIS belt which has a small pouch, used it in Amsterdam for a lightweight phone, credit card and 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Sometimes I stuff 'em in a bum bag thing, other times I stick 1 gel in each sock. It chafes a little for a minute until I forget its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

You gotta love this Forum for this very reason :D Cheers folks. Jackyback, I've pm'ed you as that looks like the job. I'd rather have them at my wasit than my arm. The batman utility belt is cool and all but just too busy for me! I'll report on how it fares

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

How many are you looking to carry?? I can fit three in the (small) back pocket of my shorts and that generally does me for a marathon, although they are non ISO gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I wear tri-shorts(awaits the purists backlash):

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=34082

A pocket on each hip that can carry 3 gels each, comfortably. Wore them last year and was grand, no pinning to shorts with safety pins, the pockets are elasticated so the gels are securely fixed in the pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

I have tried the cap aproach in traininig, it works but does feel a bit odd,,,,,,

Recently got a lightweight belt in Runways, cost 17 euro's I think, essentialy a lightweight wallet with straps around your waist, do not even notice it and holds 3/4 gels easy enough, and keys, jelly beans, dioralyte and bus ticket as trialed at the half n the phoenix park last Sat !
    For a Marathon.

I've tried a few things.
    • I hate those batman utility belts!
    • I've used old rowing suits rolled down and gels tucked into the rolls (I tucked in mars bars for my first marathon :D). This is a favoured option actually but since I often lose some gels I have to pin them to the suit. The suit is also a bit heavy and weighs significantly if it rains. I won't wear the suit this time (it needs to be retired)
    • I wrapped them in an elastic band and tucked into the pocket of a cycling top for the last one, but eh didn't use them. Can't guage that one for effectiveness
    • For Conn this year I pinned them to my race/number belt with the flap folded over it. Not too bad but a bit flappy, and I lost one.
    • For the DCM pacing gig last year I held them in my hand but that was annoying too
    Anyone tried putting them under a cap? This will be Marathon number 10 and you would think I'd have this sorted but don't so thats that. Any useful tips much appreciated in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

My favourite long run shorts have 7 (yes, seven!)) pockets, though if I fill more than 4, they fall down. I usually bring no more than 2 gels with me for a marathon, so I have more than enough capacity.

I tried belt, fanny pack and holding them in my hand, and the shorts option wins by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

pgmcpq wrote: »

This looks good, did you see the link of "how not to pin gels to your running shorts" :D advises you not to glue them to yourself, classic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Had previously just used a pair of shorts that I knew had big pockets that I could stuff the excessive quantity of gels into. But I went and got an SPI Belt when I thought I'd need it for carrying my bionic attachment. Turned out I didn't need a belt for that as it would just clip to my waist band, so I now use the SPI belt for gels.

You can now get them from Wiggle I believe. You can fit a surprising amount of stuff into it as it expands, but is still secure and doesn't "wobble" if you've not stuffed it to the gills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Just another suggestion: A tri top with pockets at the back perhaps. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

I use a soft sunglasses case and a couple of sweatbands to hold it against my arm. I use the longish High 5 ones so it's a good fit. It's fine when there's a few gels but gets a bit annoying when there's only 1 left in it.
    Am toying with the idea of wearing a cycling jersey on this weekend's LSR and using the pockets. I'm sure it's been tried before and there's some obvious reason why nobody does it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

Am toying with the idea of wearing a cycling jersey on this weekend's LSR and using the pockets. I'm sure it's been tried before and there's some obvious reason why nobody does it though.

I find that if you put more than a couple of isogels into a cycling jersey that it bounces around a lot - oh and cycling jerseys are a lot rougher on your nipples:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

robinph wrote: »
    Had previously just used a pair of shorts that I knew had big pockets that I could stuff the excessive quantity of gels into. But I went and got an SPI Belt when I thought I'd need it for carrying my bionic attachment. Turned out I didn't need a belt for that as it would just clip to my waist band, so I now use the SPI belt for gels.

You can now get them from Wiggle I believe. You can fit a surprising amount of stuff into it as it expands, but is still secure and doesn't "wobble" if you've not stuffed it to the gills.

Looking at the SPI belts on Wiggle. Since the zip is in the middle and not on the top, does stuff not fall out when you open it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

griffin100 wrote: »
    I find that if you put more than a couple of isogels into a cycling jersey that it bounces around a lot - oh and cycling jerseys are a lot rougher on your nipples:D

Yeah they bounce about a bit, even if zipped in. Cyling jerseys are also usually tight and I find I heat up too much when running in them. That plus the nipple thing...

Nice to see you post back over these parts showry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

In my one and only marathon, I used a passport security wallet for gels. It was made of the same fabric as ‘ladies’ underwear.’ Stuck about 5 gels in and then stuck the wallet under my short’s waistband. Was surprisingly comfortable.

I was under the impression you only need about three gels for the marathon no?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Looking at the SPI belts on Wiggle. Since the zip is in the middle and not on the top, does stuff not fall out when you open it ?

I've not had a problem with that, it kind of wraps itself around what you have in there so it doesn't open fully and just dump it's contents on the road. You only need to half open it anyway to get a gel out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

With the voucher I got with my first order at Wiggle I got one of the Hilly gel belts that holds four gels pretty securely almost for free. I'll have an extra one in the pocket of my shorts for Berlin next Sunday so figure that should see me to the finish handy enough.

race-no-belt-250x250.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My Fuelbelt bottle has a pouch I can squeeze one or two in, don't think I could handle those belts. It'd drive me mental.

Advertisement