Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi,
    I was just wondering if I could join your thread as I think support is a great thing to have from like minded people when trying to achieve the same thing.
    I started dabbling in a bit of running 3 years ago and I was following the couch to 5k plan, but quit halfway through because of pregnancy sickness. I returned to the plan in June 2009 and built up from there!!!! I ran the Dublin City marathon last year but have not got back into regular running since finishing my training plan for that (Hal Higdon’s Novice 1)…I need to follow a plan to keep me motivated so I am hoping I can do enough for this year…

Here are a few answers to your questions…..

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
     Great Ireland Run 2010 (April 2010) – 59.00
     Boyne 10KM (May 2010) - 54.09
     Frank Duffy 10 Mile (Aug 2010) - 1.38.28
     Dublin Half Marathon (sept 2010) - 2.03.50
     Dublin City Marathon Oct 2010 - 4.41.09
     Great Ireland Run April 2011 - 57.52

I have nothing else so far this year as I have been fairly hit & miss with the training.
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    I am just trying to get back to regular running but so far have not managed more that 3 x 3 m in any one week. I was originally hopping to follow HH Intermediate 1 but I think realistically at this stage I should stick to Novice 2.
    I followed the Novice 1 to the letter last year and really enjoyed my marathon experience with no problems and hit no walls.. Blisters under my toenails was the worst of my problems and I’m still losing and re-growing toenail from that. My target last year was under 5 hr and I managed 4.41 so was very happy with that. This year I want to break 4.30. I dug out the 18 week program HH Novice 2 and cut it down to 16 week and have hopped it there with this week planned as:

Monday - 3 m done in 26.12
    Tuesday - 3 m done in 26.02 - kettlebells class later
    Wednesday - cross or run, depending on where is sore after bells
    Thursday - 3 m run
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 6m
    Sunday cross 1 hr

I’m giving myself 1 -2 weeks doing a little bit less than what’s on the plan and then in week 3 hope to take it up as Hal planned….
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    2nd marathon - Dream finishing 4.15 realistically 4.30 would be great…..
    • How many days a week can you train?
    I can train 5 days per week and I do my weekly runs at lunchtime in Phoenix Park and long runs alone at home on sat/sun…I would love to have someone on some of the long runs…living in Meath if anyone meets up for the long runs I love to meet up too…..

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    I never take walking breaks. Last year in half marathon i was going so slow that walkers overtook me, but i refuse to stop, except for toilet breaks!

• Why are you running this marathon?
    Just to prove to myself that last year was not a dream and that I really can run a marathon!!!

anne

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sure, welcome to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jamesmurphy1

Training for my 2 marathon I will be checking this out for any help I can get

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|3|21 Miles|121 miles|Away for 4 day weekend, so less than should have done :o|
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|4|23.67|79.27 miles|Great week. Enjoyed all my runs and joined a running group:)|
    Nules10|4|23|122|5mile race in 45:18, going to do some strides this week coming haven't done any of these yet|
    Duckee|3|15m|38|5mile not so lsr for the Irish runner this week. Missed last weeks lsr so looking forward to week 4|
    liamog|3|24|63 miles|Set 2 PB's this week 22:50 5k at BHAA on Wednesday and 37:41 5 Mile at the Irish Runner 5 Mile|
    Concerned2|5|31.84m|238.27 miles|Missed 1 planned session.|
    cr17|3|15 miles|66.1 miles|Game of 5 a side during the week destroyed me for 2 days, knew the risks, step back week anyway so no major damage done |
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|5|44|114.8|did the 5 mile in the park but decided to take it easy - my legs thanked me yesterday after 14 mile LSR|
    Mr Abbey|4|15|46|Looking forward to seeing how longer lsrs go now!|
    PDCAT|4|14|48| On holidays, low mileage
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|4|19|62|legs felt it this week|
    BobMac104|3|18|41|Away for three days so only 3 sessions but millage was ok. Hard week this week to make up for it.
    dylbert|4|15|77|Week 5, done the Irish Runner 5 in 38:27:-), will try some PMP this week|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭meijin

meijin|4|15m|109 miles|5mile race in 41:26 instead of planned longer run; this week should be better|
    Vagga|3|21 Miles|121 miles|Away for 4 day weekend, so less than should have done :o|
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|4|23.67|79.27 miles|Great week. Enjoyed all my runs and joined a running group:)|
    Nules10|4|23|122|5mile race in 45:18, going to do some strides this week coming haven't done any of these yet|
    Duckee|3|15m|38|5mile not so lsr for the Irish runner this week. Missed last weeks lsr so looking forward to week 4|
    liamog|3|24|63 miles|Set 2 PB's this week 22:50 5k at BHAA on Wednesday and 37:41 5 Mile at the Irish Runner 5 Mile|
    cr17|3|15 miles|66.1 miles|Game of 5 a side during the week destroyed me for 2 days, knew the risks, step back week anyway so no major damage done |
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|5|44|114.8|did the 5 mile in the park but decided to take it easy - my legs thanked me yesterday after 14 mile LSR|
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|3|18|41|Away for three days so only 3 sessions but millage was ok. Hard week this week to make up for it.
    dylbert|4|15|77|Week 5, done the Irish Runner 5 in 38:27:-), will try some PMP this week|

very happy with my 5 mile time and also nice to get some racing experience :) Looking forward to the 10 mile race one in August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

Unfortunately have to knock DCM 2011 on the head for this year:(:(. What I thought was a slight niggle in my achilles after the Kildare half has taken a lot longer to sort out than expected almost 10 weeks:eek:. Kind of coming right now but I think it's too late to start training. Best of luck to everyone, hope training goes well and I'll be there on the day offering support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

papamike wrote: »
    Unfortunately have to knock DCM 2011 on the head for this year:(:(. What I thought was a slight niggle in my achilles after the Kildare half has taken a lot longer to sort out than expected almost 10 weeks:eek:. Kind of coming right now but I think it's too late to start training. Best of luck to everyone, hope training goes well and I'll be there on the day offering support.

Sorry to hear that papamike. Take care of yourself. It was around this time last year that I had to give in to my achilles injury and ended up missing DCM 2010. I was pretty annoyed but its amazing how fast time goes and a year later here I am again after taking the time to recover properly. There is always another race, you only have one achilles (well you have 2 but you know what Im saying:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Just a quick question. I have a 4 mile race this saturday morning and Im wondering how to fit it in with my schedule. I ran 3 miles on Tuesday, 6.5 yesterday and should be running 3 this evening with my 12 mile long run this weekend. Should I drop tonights run or does it make any difference as I have a rest day tomorrow?

Bally8 wrote: »
    Just a quick question. I have a 4 mile race this saturday morning and Im wondering how to fit it in with my schedule. I ran 3 miles on Tuesday, 6.5 yesterday and should be running 3 this evening with my 12 mile long run this weekend. Should I drop tonights run or does it make any difference as I have a rest day tomorrow?

As long as you take tonight's run easy it shouldn't hurt your performance on Saturday.

Im training for my second DCM using Hal Hidgon Novice 2 at week 8 completed my first in 2010 04:55 which I was disappointed as I thought I could do 04:30. I done the clontarf half marathon in 2 hours training goin well despite the odd niggle here and there. i tried to put in the odd speed session a few weeks ago but I think I slightly strained my groin. would like to start some speed session again but not sure what would be best for me. anybody any suggestions Im 53 and have no idea about what speed / age. I would like to finish just under 04 30 if possible. Ive been running for only 3 years have done a few 10K and 5 and 4 mile races. all my training runs appear to be the same average pace from 09.11 to 09.40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Bally8 wrote: »
    RayCun wrote: »
    As long as you take tonight's run easy it shouldn't hurt your performance on Saturday.
    +1

Do the LSR as planned on Sunday as well. You can always take an extra rest day next tuesday if you feel the need.

Im training for my second DCM using Hal Hidgon Novice 2 at week 8 completed my first in 2010 04:55 which I was disappointed as I thought I could do 04:30. I done the clontarf half marathon in 2 hours training goin well despite the odd niggle here and there. i tried to put in the odd speed session a few weeks ago but I think I slightly strained my groin. would like to start some speed session again but not sure what would be best for me. anybody any suggestions Im 53 and have no idea about what speed / age. I would like to finish just under 04 30 if possible. Ive been running for only 3 years have done a few 10K and 5 and 4 mile races. all my training runs appear to be the same average pace from 09.11 to 09.40

Rather than doing speedwork, you need to run slower in most of your runs.

If you are planning to run the marathon in 4.30, that's 10 minute/mile. Most of your training runs should be slower than that, around 11 min/mile. That will allow you to cover more distance without the same level of effort, and build up your strength.

In the Novice 2 plan you're following, you see some of the Wednesday runs are 'pace'. Those runs should be 10 minute miles. Everything else should be slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pulpo

Hi!
    I started running in January 2011. I'm from Finland, but few weeks ago moved to Ireland because here is so good climate for running ;)

Answers to questions:

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

10k 41:54 (My first race/Feb 2011)
    Half marathon 1:32:22 (Feb 2011)
    Half marathon 1:26:49 PB (March 2011)
    10k 38:18 PB (June 2011)

How much training do you currently do?

I currently run about 40km/week. I'm following Janne Holmen's marathon training plan. It contains only 3 runs a week, but those are very effective runs.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

I'm training for finishing time 3:15 and I think it's realistic time. Of course I need to avoid injuries (Many years ago I played football and I had some mystical knee injuries).

Why are you running this marathon?

It's time to test my limits on my first marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

what were you doing previous to january?

pulpo wrote: »
    I'm training for finishing time 3:15 and I think it's realistic time

I'd agree, those are some impressive times on the shorter distances.
    Welcome to the thread.

BobMac104 wrote: »
    what were you doing previous to january?

I have played football about 15 years but I hung up it about 5 years ago. Last 3-4 years I have done something sport only once a week or sometimes even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I have played football about 15 years but I hung up it about 5 years ago. Last 3-4 years I have done something sport only once a week or sometimes even less.

....and with one month back running you did a 41min 10k and a 1:32 half???

some people just have it i suppose

pulpo

Welcome,

Can u post a link to training plan as 40K and only running 3 Days even if these are effective runs seems a little on the minimal side for a 3:15 plan. You have the base speed for a 3:15 but without seeing the plan I dont know if it will have enough of aerobic/slow mileage to get you there.

Ger

ger664 wrote: »
    pulpo

Welcome,

Can u post a link to training plan as 40K and only running 3 Days even if these are effective runs seems a little on the minimal side for a 3:15 plan. You have the base speed for a 3:15 but without seeing the plan I dont know if it will have enough of aerobic/slow mileage to get you there.

Ger

I meant that right now in this month I'm running about 40km/week, but later there is more km/week, usually 60-75km/week (only 3 runs/week). Later there is 30-35km runs on weekends and always like 10 last km nearly marathon pace. I have that training plan only in excel, but I can send it if you want. Just put your finishing time and it calculate your training plan.

I meant that right now in this month I'm running about 40km/week, but later there is more km/week, usually 60-75km/week (only 3 runs/week). Later there is 30-35km runs on weekends and always like 10 last km nearly marathon pace. I have that training plan only in excel, but I can send it if you want. Just put your finishing time and it calculate your training plan.

I see this plan leaves the endurance phase till the last 9 weeks, hence why I was worried about your low mileage at this stage. Clearly it is working for you so stick with it.
    If you get through the milege injury free and arrive at the start fresh then 3:15 is very realistic and you may even surprise yourself on the day.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Rather than doing speedwork, you need to run slower in most of your runs.

If you are planning to run the marathon in 4.30, that's 10 minute/mile. Most of your training runs should be slower than that, around 11 min/mile. That will allow you to cover more distance without the same level of effort, and build up your strength.

In the Novice 2 plan you're following, you see some of the Wednesday runs are 'pace'. Those runs should be 10 minute miles. Everything else should be slower.

Thanks RayCun on 5 6 and 7 nile runs I find it hard to run 10 or 11 minutes as it feels very slow done a long run yesterday evening very hot out done 14.27 miles in 2.24 first 10 miles all around 9.40 struggled badly on the last 2/3 miles

Thanks RayCun on 5 6 and 7 nile runs I find it hard to run 10 or 11 minutes as it feels very slow done a long run yesterday evening very hot out done 14.27 miles in 2.24 first 10 miles all around 9.40 struggled badly on the last 2/3 miles

You did a half marathon recently in 2 hours, which is 9 minute mile pace. I presume that was the fastest you could run the distance. You want to run the marathon at 10 minute miles.
    Why do you think it is a good idea to do your long marathon training runs less than 10% slower than your half marathon pace, and faster than your planned marathon pace?
    You need to slow down.

The reason why you struggled for the last 2/3 miles is the first 10 where too fast. Also the effects of this fast training run will follow you into next weeks training as you will not have fully recovered from it.

You have to slow down, its hard at first but its the only way to get the weekly mileage and LSR mileage up without placing too much strain on the body.

Running too fast is the biggest mistake that is made by people running/training for their first marathons, I did it too, got away with on my first marathon but was punished severely for this approach on my second (slowest) marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

How do you update the table?

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Rider|||113m||
    TomD101|||||
    ger664|5|51 Kms| 51 Kms| Just back after a PB in sixmilebridge|

Red Face
    1. Quote previous post
    2. remove quote tags form both ends
    3. add/edit your data
    4. submit reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Rider|||113m||
    TomD101|||||
    dylbert|4|20|97|Tough 9 miles yesterday but got through it, done 10min pace so pleased with the time|

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

dylbert wrote: »
    meijin|||94 miles||have done :o|
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Rider|||113m||
    TomD101|||||
    dylbert|4|20|97|Tough 9 miles yesterday but got through it, done 10min pace so pleased with the time|
    specialk1977|4|28.5|122| lsr 12 miles yesterday,tough one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Nules10|4|25|147|13miles lsr which i found very tough.|
    Rider|||113m||
    TomD101|||||

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Rider|||113m||
    TomD101|||||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Rider|||113m||
    TomD101|||||
    red face dave|1|19|19| First week done

Advertisement