Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday and no meat.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

hondasam wrote: »
    I Don't agree with a lot of what the catholic religion is but it will not stop me saying a prayer before I go to sleep. I do it for me and nobody else. I'm not asking you are anyone else to approve or disapprove.
    So prayer is a concept peculiar to Catholicism, aye?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Assuming there was a JC, once emperor Constantine legitimised Christianity in the Roman Empire, we have seen the gradual usurping of JC's message of tolerance, compassion and forgiveness ect, ect. The church has evolved into a militaristic structure of religious rank - Priest, Canon, Bishops ect. Somehow I don't think they got the memo from JC really.

We now have a system of man made dictates issued from the emperor in Roman, bear in mind this guy has nothing in common with JC's message. Centralised control and domination is we what we have today. How can these guys stand up and use JC as a role model. When their church is worth billions, yet millions die of disease and starvation every year. If there was ever a case for evil, then this hypocrisy is surely it?

Anyway OP - I'll eat meat today, who declared it wrong anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Not the bible anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Assuming there was a JC, once emperor Constantine legitimised Christianity in the Roman Empire, we have seen the gradual usurping of JC's message of tolerance, compassion and forgiveness ect, ect. The church has evolved into a militaristic structure of religious rank - Priest, Canon, Bishops ect. Somehow I don't think they got the memo from JC really.

We now have a system of man made dictates issued from the emperor in Roman, bear in mind this guy has nothing in common with JC's message. Centralised control and domination is we what we have today. How can these guys stand up and use JC as a role model. When their church is worth billions, yet millions die of disease and starvation every year. If there was ever a case for evil, then this hypocrisy is surely it?

If more Christians were more Christ-like and less Christian the world would be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

krudler wrote: »
    If more Christians were more Christ-like and less Christian the world would be better off.

Well said and there is the irony of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

I Don't agree with a lot of what the catholic religion is but it will not stop me saying a prayer before I go to sleep. I do it for me and nobody else. I'm not asking you are anyone else to approve or disapprove.

I am very against the Catholic Church(and all organised religions) as an institution, that throughout history caused as much bad as good for people.

Having said that, I am spiritual. I wouldn't say a prayer, but I take a few minutes out of my day to find a quiet spot on a park bench & talk to 'something'. It doesn't have a face that I picture (if I was to give it a name I'd say the Holy Spirit) & I'm not asking for things. It's just something that helps me contemplate my day, work through things & brings a bit of peace to my life. If a prayer before you go asleep gives you something beneficial like that, than stay with it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone else on how religious you are and how many of the man-made religious rules you adhere to. It's a personal relationship.

The Church is a man-made thing & it's rules are man-made, and we all know how perfect man is.. I've had numerous discussions with a friend who is a priest. He agrees with the failings of the Church & agrees that if what I do works for me, then keep it. He actually gave me a bible once & I tried to read it, but again I can only see it a something written by man & was written/interpreted with an agenda, so I didn't go back to it. His spiritual beliefs have led him to help many people in inner city Dublin and he is a very good person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

RichieC wrote: »
    no one said you cant pray at home. you misrepresented our argument.
    :pac:

you're taking the piss, right?

have you told people what you want to happen when You die ?
    will you want prayers?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Countdown to BBQ, delighted.

have you told people what you want to happen when You die ?
    will you want prayers?

I want to be put in the trash, like my hero.

Well said and there is the irony of it all.

indeed, I dont think Jesus had a city sized palace and marble altars in mind when he was going around preaching about the simple life.

• Advertisement

I want to be shot.

out of a cannon.

into the sun.

I want to be shot.

out of a cannon.

into the sun.

this is better!

seriously will there be prayers?

I know people who are not religious etc etc but they would want a funeral and mass, this I cannot understand.

I myself would want a private service and cremation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

mconigol wrote: »
    Yeah congratulations you went online and found the first definition in a google search. That's not a proper definition in my opinion.

You have a great deal of faith in google. Yet more irony.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult

Now, that's the official definition in Merriam webster...I guess that a well respected definition isn't proper because you don't want it to be either?
    mconigol wrote: »
    No where did I say that?

It would quite likely be considered a cult. Not definitely though. As far as I am the classifications are not exactly precise.

You just don't want classifications to be precise so you feel secure in your belief that you are a member of the one true religion, when given you believe in exactly one more god than me, and there are hundreds of religions and gods, how can you be sure of yours?

(P.S. Fry up on, but that was planned before I realised it was good friday.)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I know people who are not religious etc etc but they would want a funeral and mass, this I cannot understand.
    More than likely because it's the way things are done, a lot of people don't really question it and just go along with it. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, it's just not an issue for people.

Personally, religion will not be anywhere near my funeral.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

This thread shows up exactly what's wrong discussing religion in AH. Some of the atheists on Boards border on fanaticism with their preaching.

More than likely because it's the way things are done, a lot of people don't really question it and just go along with it. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, it's just not an issue for people.

Personally, religion will not be anywhere near my funeral.

I agree but it is been hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not eating meat on Good Friday because the church told you to = church is inside your head

Going out of your way to eat meat because the church told you not to = church is inside your head

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Conversation with Himself today:

Me: If you have any ideas for dinner let me know.
    Him: Isn't it Good Friday?
    M: Yeah
    H: So... Steak?

Steak it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I agree but it is been hypocritical.
    It's not being hypocritical, it just means they haven't really taken the time to honestly consider their position.

I bit like you saying you disagree with a lot of what the Catholic Church teaches, but still identify with them because you say a prayer before bed. (If I haven't misconstrued your sentiments).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

stovelid wrote: »
    Not eating meat on Good Friday because the church told you to = church is inside your head

Going out of your way to eat meat because the church told you not to = church is inside your head

And going out of your way to eat meat because it is delicious = bacon inside your belly.

Adyx wrote: »
    This thread shows up exactly what's wrong discussing religion in AH. Some of the atheists on Boards border on fanaticism with their preaching.

what preaching? the majority of athiests on boards know more about the religion that supposed catholics follow. its just people who see through the bullsh1t around religion and can hold an argument better than "ah shure tis what we are" reasoning behind being an Irish Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

what preaching? the majority of athiests on boards know more about the religion that supposed catholics follow. its just people who see through the bullsh1t around religion and can hold an argument better than "ah shure tis what we are" reasoning behind being an Irish Catholic.

I wasn't specifically referring to this thread (although there is a certain amount in it imo). What does it matter what you or I know about the religion? If a person chooses to believe in God or practice the Catholic faith, I can respect that and not feel the need to call them stupid or sheep or hypocrites. But this almost invariably happens in this forum when someone mentions that they pray or don't eat meet on Good Friday or go to mass. It's as if atheists feel they need to educate the poor misguided unfortunates of the errors of their ways.

There isn't half as much preaching from people who are religious in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Adyx wrote: »

There isn't half as much preaching from people who are religious in some way.

You should check out the Christianity forum sometime. The mods there are nearly as fundamentalist as the ones in Cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

fffuuuuu

Personal Abuse or am I mistaken?

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Personal Abuse or am I mistaken?

if you're that rageface meme, sure

stimpson wrote: »
    You should check out the Christianity forum sometime. The mods there are nearly as fundamentalist as the ones in Cycling.

This thread isn't in the Christianity or A&A forum though.

wouldnt piss on the Christianity forum... never seen so much complete bollocks compressed into a single forum in my entire life.

And I freq Free Republic.

wouldnt piss on the Christianity forum... never seen so much complete bollocks compressed into a single forum in my entire life.

And I freq Free Republic.

I got myself banned from there :D (my request) couldnt be bothered with the place anymore, I still go in while logged out for a chuckle sometimes though.

• Advertisement

if you're that rageface meme, sure

So your "raging" about someone following tradition?

Advertisement