Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday and no meat.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

ajjmk wrote: »
    I definetely wouldnt refer to myself as a religious person, yet I would never eat meat on Good Friday or Ash Wednesday. I also go to mass most Sundays. It's not because Im such a devote Catholic or anything, but it's just "the done thing"..

Yes- it's the "done thing" by religious people. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Gotta love all the righteous non-conformists on here :rolleyes:

So, the OP doesn't want to insult his religious mother, who raised and looked after him by, by eating a few rashers and he's apparently some pathetic looser who can't stand up for himself??

I can kind of understand why everyone seems to get their knickers in a knot about not being able to have a pint or two but it's not illegal to eat meat. It's a completely religious thing for members of that religion so why do you all feel that you're getting one up on something - unless you're all still technically roman catholics??!

I'll not be having meat today and I will be going to the church as I did last night. I'm a non-believer and even though I will hate every second of it my family are religious and since I'm staying with them this week I will go for their sake.

The same way as I would attend somebodies wedding or christening....but I suppose all the courageous souls on here refuse to attend either of those two ceremonies as a matter of principle too???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

ilovesleep wrote: »
    so its good friday and i'm not allowed meat.

Says who? Can't you make decisions for yourself? :confused::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

ilovesleep wrote: »
    so its good friday and i'm not allowed meat. I was planning on going for breakfast today and get a fry but my mam reminded me of no meat. I would have went fcek it, i'm eating meat but family is not eating meat either today. dont want to be the black sheep and all

Independent thought isn't suitable for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Religion is a tool to manipulative stupid people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mconigol wrote: »
    Gotta love all the righteous non-conformists on here :rolleyes:

So, the OP doesn't want to insult his religious mother, who raised and looked after him by, by eating a few rashers and he's apparently some pathetic looser who can't stand up for himself??

I can kind of understand why everyone seems to get their knickers in a knot about not being able to have a pint or two but it's not illegal to eat meat. It's a completely religious thing for members of that religion so why do you all feel that you're getting one up on something - unless you're all still technically roman catholics??!

I'll not be having meat today and I will be going to the church as I did last night. I'm a non-believer and even though I will hate every second of it my family are religious and since I'm staying with them this week I will go for their sake.

The same way as I would attend somebodies wedding or christening....but I suppose all the courageous souls on here refuse to attend either of those two ceremonies as a matter of principle too???

And its exactly that "i'll go along with it for the sake of it" thats kept this country in the catholic dark ages for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

positron wrote: »
    Been off meat for all of lent (except for a few socail occasions where it would have been impolite to not to eat meat), and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
    positron wrote: »
    lol, no, just normal parties at normal restaurants, that (as usual), with no vegetarian alternatives..!

So you haven't actually given up meat for lent?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

How come we can't buy drink on good Friday but we're allowed buy meat?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

krudler wrote: »
    And its exactly that "i'll go along with it for the sake of it" thats kept this country in the catholic dark ages for so long.

Have you been to a:
    Wedding
    Christening
    First holy communion
    Confirmation

lately??

Religion is not what's keeping this country in the dark ages.

Allowing religious organisations to run the show is, that's why there should be a complete separation of church and state.

I'm not going along with it for "the sake of it". I'm going along with it out of respect to my family and their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭KH25

I haven't paid attention to any of the black fast days since I was about 15. Theres no reason why I shouldn't be able to eat what I want any day of the week. My family still stick to it but most of them eat fish on Fridays anyway so its not so much a religious practice as it is routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I had lovely black pudding with egg,beans, sausage, rasher and hash brown this morning washed down with a lovely mug of tea.

Hmmmm, rashers.....

It was definetly a Good Fry day..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Does dog count?

mconigol wrote: »
    Have you been to a:
    Wedding
    Christening
    First holy communion

none of the above for a good few years now, the next wedding I'll be going to is a couple who are my friends and they're having a civil ceremony, because neither of them are relgious and find it hypocritical and disrespectful to marry in a church when they dont believe any of the religious connotations.

gcgirl wrote: »

No offence but that's one of the stupidest, ill-informed things I've ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i hope my brother comes on and posts. he wasa in work a few years ago on good friday anf wanted a fry in the canteen but the old woman woudnt serve him meat, in the end she had to

i hope my brother comes on and posts. he wasa in work a few years ago on good friday anf wanted a fry in the canteen but the old woman woudnt serve him meat, in the end she had to

wtf? its not up to her who eats what, fcuking old bat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

niallers1 wrote: »
    I had lovely black pudding with egg,beans, sausage, rasher and hash brown this morning washed down with a lovely mug of tea.

Hmmmm, rashers.....

It was definetly a Good Fry day..

I'd the exact same but swap the tea for a can of coors....

W I N N I N G!!!

none of the above for a good few years now, the next wedding I'll be going to is a couple who are my friends and they're having a civil ceremony, because neither of them are relgious and find it hypocritical and disrespectful to marry in a church when they dont believe any of the religious connotations.

But would you refuse to attend any of the above for a close friend or family member based on your beliefs?

I don't believe in being a hypocrite either, which is why I wouldn't marry in a church either.

Doesn't mean I won't attend ceremonies that are important to the people that are closest to me. I'd have no problem attending a synagogue or mosque or any other religious building either. I'm not so insecure that I'd take it as being offensive to my own beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

gcgirl wrote: »

religion is free choice, If you Don't like it fine but Don't say anyone that does is stupid. I would not consider myself religious but I do pray every night before I go to sleep. If that makes me stupid so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

from the worlds most evil and dangerous cult, the catholic cult

You quite obviously know nothing of what a cult is...the catholic church is one of the main religions in this world it is certainly not a cult....your obviosuly bitter about the catholic church but have some grow up and stop calling it a cult !!!

On the meat thing, its everyones own choice, noone is forced to do it...anyway its two days a year and hardly a major hardship !!

(I am catholic, but Im not religious at all...I just happen to respect tradition....and laugh when people who sneer at the churchs traditions are the very hypocrites who get married in the church / christen their babies in the church etc....Al La Carte Religion !!!!)

• Advertisement

solerina wrote: »
    You quite obviously know nothing of what a cult is...the catholic church is one of the main religions in this world it is certainly not a cult....your obviosuly bitter about the catholic church but have some grow up and stop calling it a cult !!!

On the meat thing, its everyones own choice, noone is forced to do it...anyway its two days a year and hardly a major hardship !!

(I am catholic, but Im not religious at all...I just happen to respect tradition....and laugh when people who sneer at the churchs traditions are the very hypocrites who get married in the church / christen their babies in the church etc....Al La Carte Religion !!!!)

errr.....

hondasam wrote: »
    religion is free choice, If you Don't like it fine but Don't say anyone that does is stupid. I would not consider myself religious but I do pray every night before I go to sleep. If that makes me stupid so be it.

I'm vegetarian but eat steak all the time, and I'm not gay but love a bit of cock on weekends.

see how stupid that sounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I always thought it was a fasting Day for catholics, so not just Meat, you cant have anything nice!

I've just polished off a Meatcake with some holy wine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

phasers wrote: »
    How come fish doesn't count as meat?

Because Jesus fed 5000 people with just fish an bread. This is a way to see his sacrifice. Me, I'll be eating meat just because it will annoy my mother. Juvenile yes, but better than here infantile "beliefs" which she doesnt usually follow, but she is still catholic. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I was too late for breakfast, so got steak with mushrooms, onion rings and chips instead. I made love to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Fúck meat and good Friday.

I'm having ice cream for dinner :D

so all thats separating a religion from a cult is numbers?

lets compare

cult:
    Led by someone who believes he was chosen by god and is proably infallible (Jim Jones,David Caresh, Fred Phelps, Joseph Smith, etc)
    Recruits people through promises of paradise and everlasting life after death.
    Asks for members to donate money.

church:
    well theres that guy who lives in Rome.
    check.
    check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'm vegetarian but eat steak all the time, and I'm not gay but love a bit of cock on weekends.

see how stupid that sounds?

I Don't agree with a lot of what the catholic religion is but it will not stop me saying a prayer before I go to sleep. I do it for me and nobody else. I'm not asking you are anyone else to approve or disapprove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

nope, it's a cult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

hondasam wrote: »
    I Don't agree with a lot of what the catholic religion is but it will not stop me saying a prayer before I go to sleep. I do it for me and nobody else. I'm not asking you are anyone else to approve or disapprove.
    Then why consider yourself catholic? There are other religious organisations that would suit you slot better.

Advertisement