Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday and no meat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

hondasam wrote: »
    religion is free choice, If you Don't like it fine but Don't say anyone that does is stupid. I would not consider myself religious but I do pray every night before I go to sleep. If that makes me stupid so be it.

If you're not religious then who are you praying to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

krudler wrote: »
    so all thats separating a religion from a cult is numbers?

lets compare

cult:
    Led by someone who believes he was chosen by god and is proably infallible (Jim Jones,David Caresh, Fred Phelps, Joseph Smith, etc)
    Recruits people through promises of paradise and everlasting life after death.
    Asks for members to donate money.

church:
    well theres that guy who lives in Rome.
    check.
    check.

Ehh...sorry to disappoint you but that's not the definition of a cult.

Christianity began as a cult but developed into a main stream religion. Not all cults have a belief in god as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Then why consider yourself catholic? There are other religious organisations that would suit you slot better.

really who ?
    stimpson wrote: »
    If you're not religious then who are you praying to?

It's not about been religious, Is this about If I believe in God ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

It's not about been religious, Is this about If I believe in God ?

If you believe in god then you're religious :rolleyes:

JFC..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mconigol wrote: »

Christianity began as a cult but developed into a main stream religion. Not all cults have a belief in god as you say.

thats just a myriad of irony, so why isnt it a cult anymore? numbers. give it a few thousand years and Scientology will have as much basis as christianity? its why the new cults and beliefs have to be crazy from the get go, all the good mental stuff like people living in whales and talking snakes and burning foliage that can command people has been taken. you've gotta hit the ground running with some utterly batsh1t mental stuff these days to keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

–noun
    1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
    2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
    3. the object of such devotion.
    4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
    6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
    7. the members of such a religion or sect.
    8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

Yes its a cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

I can never understand why people feel the need to bash others for their beliefs.

If someone wants to tear into a pound of sausages on good friday, let them. If someone abstains from eating meat, as is tradition for their religion then let them.

Another thing I can never understand is the way quite a number of Athiests look down on those with religious beliefs. They often act as if they have it all sorted and believe that religious people are idiots for having any belief. Just find it very strange that they have a need to continually bash religious people.

Anyway, if you're having a nice fry, enjoy it!

RichieC wrote: »

JFC..

I Don't over think it like you do. why do people who are not religious go to funeral's, weddings etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm not eating meat today, even though I eat it every other day of the year (except Ash Wednesday).
    I don't care what anyone else is having for dinner, and they shouldn't bother themselves about what I'm not.

thats just a myriad of irony, so why isnt it a cult anymore? numbers. give it a few thousand years and Scientology will have as much basis as christianity? its why the new cults and beliefs have to be crazy from the get go, all the good mental stuff like people living in whales and talking snakes and burning foliage that can command people has been taken. you've gotta hit the ground running with some utterly batsh1t mental stuff these days to keep up.

Yes it is ironic but it's exactly that - numbers! Cults are considered something with a small following with a belief that is far removed from the norm. When it becomes the norm (i.e.mainstream) it is a religion.

It's quite possible that Scientology will eventually become a mainstream religion. Hard to imagine now but not beyond the realms of possibility.

There will always be needy, desperate people seeking some kind of meaning for their lives and religion steps in to fill that gap. It's very possible that religion is a product of evolution and a way to help humans get to grips with their ability to think abstractly about their world etc...

• Advertisement

I Don't over think it like you do. why do people who are not religious go to funeral's, weddings etc ?

funerals are a matter of respect to me, not religious.

Weddings are the crack.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Because they are close to the people whose funeral/wedding it is?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

There will always be needy, desperate people seeking some kind of meaning for their lives and religion steps in to fill that gap. It's very possible that religion is a product of evolution and a way to help humans get to grips with their ability to think abstractly about their world etc...

People are afraid of dieing so their brains latch onto elaborate hoaxes so they can pretend they'll never die.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yes it is ironic but it's exactly that - numbers! Cults are considered something with a small following with a belief that is far removed from the norm. When it becomes the norm (i.e.mainstream) it is a religion.

It's quite possible that Scientology will eventually become a mainstream religion. Hard to imagine now but not beyond the realms of possibility.

right so essentially christianity would have zero credibility if only a few people believed it? brilliant.

Weddings are the crack.

You don't see the irony??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Technically yes, in many other ways no.

When I think of the word religious I think of a hyper legalist, somewhere a long the lines of the Pharisees. I don't think I would fit into that category so I wouldn't identify myself as "religious" but as a Christian. Grace is a big difference I think, and Jesus challenged the religious authorities more strongly than he challenged anyone else when He was around.

I answered a survey recently for someone at university about the role of religion in determining attitudes. One of the questions is how religious do you consider yourself to be. Honestly I put down not very even if I do have strong beliefs because I don't consider myself to be "religious" really due to the connotations surrounding the term.

You don't see the irony??

nope. Peoples funerals are in churches, what can you do? not go to pay your last respects?

more often than not these days folks are getting civil ceremonies also.

The Church did not invent marriage or funerals, they co opted them.

Weddings are the crack.
    Because they are close to the people whose funeral/wedding it is?

Is this not been a hypocrite ?

It's ok to go to mass for a wedding or a funeral but It's not ok to say a prayer at home.

It's ok to go to mass for a wedding or a funeral but It's not ok to say a prayer at home.

Strawman.

DarkJager wrote: »
    –noun
    1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
    2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
    3. the object of such devotion.
    4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
    6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
    7. the members of such a religion or sect.
    8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

Yes its a cult.

Yeah congratulations you went online and found the first definition in a google search. That's not a proper definition in my opinion.

You have a great deal of faith in google. Yet more irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Intentionaly bought fish for dinner tonight, then noticed the remaining sausage and streaky bacon in the fridge. Just had that for lunch. Still having my fish for dinner though.

Yeah congratulations you went online and found the first definition in a google search. That's not a proper definition in my opinion.

You have a great deal of faith in google. Yet more irony.

It perfectly and accurately describes the church/cult. What more do you want?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No? The person chose to have that particular ceremony in that building, says nothing about how they feel about religion or god.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Strawman.

care to explain

care to explain

no one said you cant pray at home. you misrepresented our argument.

right so essentially christianity would have zero credibility if only a few people believed it? brilliant.

No where did I say that?

It would quite likely be considered a cult. Not definitely though. As far as I am the classifications are not exactly precise.

No where did I say that?

It would quite likely be considered a cult. Not definitely though. As far as I am the classifications are not exactly precise.

It still fits the definition of a cult, whether it has 100 or 100 million members.

No? The person chose to have that particular ceremony in that building, says nothing about how they feel about religion or god.

should the same not be said If I choose to say a prayer in my own home ?

DarkJager wrote: »
    It perfectly and accurately describes the church/cult. What more do you want?

How exactly do you know that is does?

I'm sure there are people who have spent a great deal of time researching cults and religion and I don't think the definition would be so clear cut.

One definition that you found online is not exactly an argument winner.

It would be like me writing a research paper and only citing one source. One source that I liked the sound of and happened to agree exactly with what I thought!

• Advertisement

should the same not be said If I choose to say a prayer in my own home ?

:pac:

you're taking the piss, right?

Advertisement