Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday and no meat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i shouldn't have read this thread. I'm dying for a big lump of steak

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Its a way to show you can resist temptatation from beef for one day. Jeez go any enjoy some cod for a change.

i could only imagine ye lot during ramadan :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

thomasj wrote: »
    Its a way to show you can resist temptatation from beef for one day. Jeez go any enjoy some cod for a change.

i could only imagine ye lot during ramadan :-P
    How come fish doesn't count as meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Brought the OH a brekkie roll coming home from work this am, she wolfed it down, loved it....I just reminded her that today's Good Friday, she called me a cnut!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

phasers wrote: »

Because the Catholic Church at the time of making the rule, was made up of 17-year old female airhead vegetarians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Hate missing out on meat! Thankfully, Fridays we have chips and omelettes for dinner at home! nomnomnom:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I sometimes think "where are these people who actually follow this religious prattle, surely nobody actually buys in to it anymore" and then OP's like this remind me that yes, they are indeed out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I love how many "catholics" stick to the no meat on a random day rule, yet routinely dont go to mass, use contraception, think gay sex is ok, think most of the bible is a load of load tosh really and dont follow any of the other rules of being a catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

krudler wrote: »
    I love how many "catholics" stick to the no meat on a random day rule, yet routinely dont go to mass, use contraception, think gay sex is ok, think most of the bible is a load of load tosh really and dont follow any of the other rules of being a catholic.

Sorted! Going for a fry now. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭westdub15

yay another bash the catholic church thread... just because some people choose not to eat meat one or two days a year they're hypocrites?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

phasers wrote: »

So people have an excuse to eat meat on good friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

westdub15 wrote: »
    yay another bash the catholic church thread... just because some people choose not to eat meat one or two days a year they're hypocrites?

No, because some people force themselves not to eat meat one day a year because a cult told them to, they're idiots.

yes? while ignoring all the other parts of being a catholic the other days of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Smiley G

Hot Cross Buns is the main tradition I can remember growing up about Good Friday... It was the one day of the year my mum would always have them in the house and they are gorgeous covered in butter straight off the grill with a nice cup of tea.. hmm.. off to get some now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

To be honest I don't understand all the people who whine about not being able to eat meat today.. not being allowed use artificial contraception, have sex before marriage, get divorced etc.. would probably bother me more than no meat on Good Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I will not eat meat today, not because I'm religious it's just tradition and It's only one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the catholic cult says it follows the bible so can you show me where it says you must not eat meat on good friday, that your pope is infallible and that sinners (priests) can forgive sins. the list goes on and on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Chicken Curry and chips for lunch, cracking.

Does the Bible make any mention of this no meat thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

is this in any way related to the Woman denies biting off testicles thread? :p

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    I will not eat meat today, not because I'm religious it's just tradition and It's only one day.

fffuuuuu

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭westdub15

not defending the catholic church just saying if someone chooses to not eat meat today its their choice. realistically no one is forced into not eating meat today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

This is why I cant take religion seriously - its not ok to eat meat on a Friday, but it is ok for a 50 year old priest to pump the living shlt out of a the local under 8's football team every other day of the year?

We need to stop the problem at the source ... 'yes, we've got to stop our boys from telling!'

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seriously though, what's the basis for this no meat today thing? I take it that it's not a biblical order, so where does it come from?

Seriously though, what's the basis for this no meat today thing? I take it that it's not a biblical order, so where does it come from?

from the worlds most evil and dangerous cult, the catholic cult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

krudler wrote: »
    fffuuuuu

It's what we grew with and I just stick with it myself. I Don't ask anybody else in my house to abstain from meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Dam i had a meatball sub in Eddie rockets about 1am last night, Full fry up for brekkie and a steak sub for lunch.. now going to a BBQ for more meat and some beers..

whats this good friday you speak of??

Dam i had a meatball sub in Eddie rockets about 1am last night, Full fry up for brekkie and a steak sub for lunch.. now going to a BBQ for more meat and some beers..

whats this good friday you speak of??

meatball subs are 'good'

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

I definetely wouldnt refer to myself as a religious person, yet I would never eat meat on Good Friday or Ash Wednesday. I also go to mass most Sundays. It's not because Im such a devote Catholic or anything, but it's just "the done thing"..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You were not supposed to eat meat ANY Friday years ago, according to the catholic church. But you can now, just not Good Friday.
    So did the people who ate meat on Fridays years ago and went to hell for it get released from hell and let into heaven when the new law was passed? :confused:

Advertisement