Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH royal wedding mega thread (no flaming queens)

Options
  • 18-04-2011 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I was disgusted to read today that RTE ONE Television will have live coverage the royal wedding, Why are they doing this? Would they cover a royal wedding in Norway? What have those brits who were born with a sliver spoon in their mouth got to do with us? Why would us Irish want to watch that trash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kunle wrote: »
    Why would us Irish want to watch that trash?
    Perhaps that's the question you want to ask. RTE are showing it because people want to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I was disgusted to read today that RTE ONE Television will have live coverage the royal wedding, Why are they doing this? Would they cover a royal wedding in Norway? What have those brits who were born with a sliver spoon in their mouth got to do with us? Why would us Irish want to watch that trash?

To see god come down and personally handpick william. duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

seamus wrote: »
    Perhaps that's the question you want to ask. RTE are showing it because people want to watch it.

I would rather chop all my limbs off than watch that dirt.....Like the OP said, if it was anywhere else we wouldn't care, and Britain are last on my 'list of royal weddings to care about', so.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

it's hardly going to be an enormous cost, will doubtless attract a large viewership and therefore advertising revenue... so if you don't like it turn off the tv, get some sunshine, or switch the channel.

Who cares!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Britain are last on my 'list of royal weddings to care about
    I'm sure that will hit a nerve with HM and the British people; but one day they shall understand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

They should show 'Michael Collins' instead. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I agree,i am not paying for a tv licence to watch that cods wallop.If they had anyone famous here and covered their wedding i would be pissed off aswell.
    I am not paying for tv for that rubbish to be shown.And their tv listings are bad majority of time.
    I hardly imagine they asked if people want to watch it.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would rather chop all my limbs off than watch that dirt.....Like the OP said, if it was anywhere else we wouldn't care, and Britain are last on my 'list of royal weddings to care about', so.....
    I don't see why it's a political issue though. I couldn't care less about desparate housewives, yet RTE still pay good money to bring it in and show it. Because there's demand.

Consider this just another piece of entertainment that others want to watch and you don't.

As our closest neighbour, we culturally have very strong ties with the UK. Indeed as a country 15 times our size (in population terms) and speaking the same language as us, it's only natural that we will passively import huge amounts of their culture and entertainment, including such mundane topics as the royal wedding and "what Cheryl Cole is wearing this week".

If you don't like it, ignore it. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It's all about ratings. The Royal wedding will most likely do bigger numbers than anything else in that time slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

later10 wrote: »
    it's hardly going to be an enormous cost, will doubtless attract a large viewership and therefore advertising revenue... so if you don't like it turn off the tv, get some sunshine, or switch the channel.

Who cares!

We pay their wages ;)

God the whole tv will be covered in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Almost every major media company worldwide is covering this event. America, Australia, China, Germany, France etc will be covering it because people want to know about it and it's the same in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

It's newsworthy. Pure tripe but sure since us bottom feeders won't ever get to go to or be involved in an event of this magnitude, watching it on the telly with a can of Strongbow and a packet of Walkers will be the next best thing.

Plus the last two royal weddings went without a hitch, the law of averages dictate that something has to go wrong this time. I'll be glued to it and may even run a book on it (5/1 - Falling Queen, 10/1 - Horse Pulling Carraige Gets Explosive Diarrohea, 5/2F - Nip Slip From Kate Due To Mad Diet etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

RTE should be fooking ashamed of themselves :mad:

That's it, further evidence for the reason why I'll never, ever pay my TV licence again.

Watching the son of a slag get married to some other slag!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

IngazZagni wrote: »
    It's all about ratings. The Royal wedding will most likely do bigger numbers than anything else in that time slot.

True, and it's probably on at 11am or something on a Friday morning, hardly prime time for ratings so this should be a huge boost.

I remember the Charles Diana wedding was also on RTE back in 1981

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The royal wedding wouldnt even be the worst thing RTE shows!!

- Late Late show
    - Yore wan that puts on the pikey accent
    - Joe Duffy
    - Republic of TV

And loads loads more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

The British Royal family are and have always been at the centre of the cult of celebrity in England. Irish people who slavishly follow the cult of celebrity gravitate towards such guff as royal weddings etc. RTE know this and are exploiting it for the ratings over TV3. It is incredibly cheap television.

When princess Diana died the FAI instructed the Irish soccer team to wear black armbands and observe a minutes silence versus Iceland. Now FFS.

I am afraid that my posts can be construed as republican. I can assure you I am not. I think Eirigi are fücktards but I think the hero worship of those work-shy anachronisms is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

It's a Friday afternoon when most wont be watching television. It is probably dirt cheap. Some old biddies will watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

What have those brits who were born with a sliver spoon in their mouth got to do with us? Why would us Irish want to watch that trash?

Prince William is in the Premier League of eligible bachelors and Kate Middleton has that X-Factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Are the people complaining hapy to watch english football on rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

no you wouldn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I have no issue with their showing it. They show lots of stuff made in the UK as it is, soaps, sports. They also cover British elections US presidential debates and US elections.

Is it purely an anti monarchy issue you have OP, or is it an anti British monarchy issue?

why aren't we all speaking in Irish anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

sollar wrote: »

That's entertainment, weddings are boring, even more so when you're not invited to it to get pissed!!!

I wonder if Daithi O'Se will be doing the voiceover, "Chrisht she lookin' fair well today, wahey!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭petroltimer

kfallon wrote: »
    RTE should be fooking ashamed of themselves :mad:

That's it, further evidence for the reason why I'll never, ever pay my TV licence again.

Watching the son of a slag get married to some other slag!

"slag" that's a bit strong, if you've got any evidence of Kate girl been so you could make a lot of money give the SUN a call and see if they listen to your ramblings

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you can watch it on BBC1 or 2 anyway over here, why do RTE need to show it.

Are there still people who don't get BBC over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I guess they're coinciding the broadcast with the Queens visit just to prove that she is infact a harmless old women.
    you can watch it on BBC1 or 2 anyway over here, why do RTE need to show it.

Are there still people who don't get BBC over here?

I dont have the BBC where I live. I was honestly going to go home that friday morning to watch it. Thats a saved trip now.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

meh i imagine its on around the time that the afternoon show or whatever they call that program now. is it really any worse than what **** rte normally show at that hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

"slag" that's a bit strong, if you've got any evidence of Kate girl been so you could make a lot of money give the SUN a call and see if they listen to your ramblings
    Kates a stone cold FQILF. Trademarked acronym btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

I could say the same about English soccer. I have no interest in it, it's constantly on, waste of my TV licence to watch a load of pansies falling around the place like ballerinas.

Different strokes for different folks. The wedding is of interest to lots of people who will enjoy watching it. So what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Everyone in Ireland has to watch it. You're automatically a dissident republican if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

sollar wrote: »

Not to mention all the rest of the sh*te mind numbing drivel that we are supposed to pay them to pump endlessly into your home!

Amazing that anyone can give a toss what RTE or any other TV channel puts on at any time. TV seems to play a large part in many peoples lives which is sad in itself.
    Who gives a toss what the TV companies show?
    Apparently quite a few!
    Switch the damned thing off and you will see that there is a real world out there.

Advertisement