Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

dieselbug wrote: »
    Was Noel Davern not education minister, not for very long though.

Yea. He backed Haughey when Reynolds first tried to oust him and then a few months later when Haughey fell Davern fell with him. Basically backed a horse that everyone knew was on life support but he saw a chance to grab the ministerial pension and took it.

Apparently his son is running for the Dail for Fianna Fail next time. Given how the public have turned against Fianna Failure and against the idea of dynastic seats it seems Davern jr has inherited his fathers sense of when to jump onto a sinking ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

dieselbug wrote: »
    Was Noel Davern not education minister, not for very long though.

Yes that's correct for about four and a half months. Appointed by Charles Haughy as a matter of pure political expediency after a failed attempt by Albert Reynolds to oust Haughey. I sincerely wish Noel well in his retirement. I would say he is happy not to have been a member of Government at the time of the bailout, having retired from politics in 2007.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

C&C says it is committed to maintaining cider production in Clonmel
    Some sales and marketing staff to be made redundant but numbers yet to be finalised

C&C, which make Bulmers cider, has rejected reports that the company plans to move the production of Bulmers and Magners cider from its plant at Clonmel, Co Tipperary, to Scotland after it confirmed that some commercial staff will be made redundant.
    A C&C spokesman told The Irish Times yesterday that reports that C&C were planning to move production of Bulmers and Magners from its plant at Annerville in Clonmel to its Tennant’s brewery at Wellpark in Glasgow were “without foundation”.
    ... “C&C is committed to its manufacturing site in Clonmel and views it as a key manufacturing site. This will remain the case into the future, although naturally the group will continue to make commercial decisions, which may or may not impact the Clonmel site into the future.”
    Last November, C&C acquired the Gleeson Group in a deal worth €58 million when C&C paid €12.4 million and took on Gleeson’s debt of some €45.6 million, resulting in an expansion in C&C’s workforce in Ireland from over 200 to 800
    The Gleeson Group was established by the Gleeson family in Borrisoleigh in Co Tipperary in the late 1960s.
    It manufacturers and distributes Tipperary Water and Finches soft drinks as well as distributing wines and beers such as Warsteiner, Duvel and Estrella.
    On Wednesday, C&C management informed staff that it planned to integrate the commercial team at Bulmers Ireland with the Gleeson Group commercial team, with the transfer of staff scheduled for completion on June 28th.
    According to a C&C spokesman, there are about 70 staff on the Bulmers commercial team, including personnel employed in sales and marketing, with the majority based in Dublin and about 25 based in Clonmel.
    “There will be a number of redundancies as a result of this transfer [of Bulmers Commercial staff] but no number has been specified yet,” the C&C spokesman said.
    He added that the group would now enter into consultation with the employees affected by the change.
    It would only be after this period of consultation that the group would be in a position to confirm the number of redundancies, the C&C spokesman said.
    The integration was necessary to safeguard and protect as many jobs as possible following the acquisition of Gleeson.
    The Irish Times understands that up to 40 staff from the Bulmers commercial team may be made redundant.
    It is expected that most of the sought-after redundancies will be on a voluntary basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

When Noel was appointed there were mentions in the press that Haughey had appointed "backwoods men" to replace the sacked ministers.

Noel addressed a meeting in Clonmel shortly afterwards starting with the greeting "Fellow backwoodsmen"

Noel used to run the Halfway house out on the Fethard road for a while, I used to have an occasional pint there when I lived out in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

it seems Davern jr has inherited his fathers sense of when to jump onto a sinking ship. easy pension
    :D

• Advertisement

Who will be the last Mayor of Clonmel?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Who will be the last Mayor of Clonmel?

Oh I suppose inside the chamber they will all be fighting for that particular "honour" as if it meant fame and fortune for life. Meanwhile outside the chamber the guards wouldnt be able to find anyone who could name the suspect if the Mayor streaked naked down O'Connell street swinging the chain around their head while the whole town was waiting for the St Patricks parade.

touts wrote: »
    Oh I suppose inside the chamber they will all be fighting for that particular "honour" as if it meant fame and fortune for life. Meanwhile outside the chamber the guards wouldnt be able to find anyone who could name the suspect if the Mayor streaked naked down O'Connell street swinging the chain around their head while the whole town was waiting for the St Patricks parade.

Very good, a sense of humor is what is needed here after so many years of people taking themselves too seriously while forgetting the electorate was more important. Having said that my next post here will be no laughing matter I hope.

Interesting to see Seamus Healy T.D. on television bemoaning the fact that Clonmel Borough Council will be abolished.

I wonder did the idea ever strike him while he was putting up posters urging people not to pay the household charge.

Let me tell you that if any business in Clonmel displayed material on lampposts they would have been subject to a heavy fine for breaching bye laws.

Was Mr Healy T.D fined for putting up his posters?

Seamus Healy T.D. is misguided and before the next election many of the electorate who have had to pay penalties after heeding his advice should ask him for compensation after all he has a fine salary as a T.D and a fine pension from his previous employment in the Health Service and a further fine pension to follow as a T.D.

By the way I totally accept his integrity, he is just misguided.

He is a perfect example of an Independent T.D. who can never have any influence. When he called to my door some years ago I asked him why would he not join the labour party?

Interesting to see Seamus Healy T.D. on television bemoaning the fact that Clonmel Borough Council will be abolished.

I wonder did the idea ever strike him while he was putting up posters urging people not to pay the household charge.

Let me tell you that if any business in Clonmel displayed material on lampposts they would have been subject to a heavy fine for breaching bye laws.

Was Mr Healy T.D fined for putting up his posters?

Seamus Healy T.D. is misguided and before the next election many of the electorate who have had to pay penalties after heeding his advice should ask him for compensation after all he has a fine salary as a T.D and a fine pension from his previous employment in the Health Service and a further fine pension to follow as a T.D.

By the way I totally accept his integrity, he is just misguided.

He is a perfect example of an Independent T.D. who can never have any influence. When he called to my door some years ago I asked him why would he not join the labour party?
    were the circuses fined for it? what about the businesses that have advertising signs on the pavement, do they all pay for it ?see .http://www.southtipptoday.ie/news/business/street-sandwich-boards-and-tables-must-be-paid-for-1-2478245

I am not pro healy or defending him by the way

• Advertisement

Xenophile, you are right on the button there on SH.

I do know that he has integrity and does his best for Clonmel but as an indpendent he has no influence whatsoever.

The only thing that can be said is that he's better that Mattie Mcgrath, and that's really no praise at all.

I did not see the anti household posters on sandwich boards. I am talking about lampposts.

If cafés can put out nice sandwich boards outside their premises great, we can all see some of the value we are getting for money and maybe more important the price and menu and specials for the day.

I did not see the anti household posters on sandwich boards. I am talking about lampposts.

If cafés can put out nice sandwich boards outside their premises great, we can all see some of the value we are getting for money and maybe more important the price and menu and specials for the day.
    they have to pay do they? they were allowed ten years when it was not enforced

why did you not complain re the posters? circus put posters on lamposts too. are they fined?

LoveCoke wrote: »

why did you not complain re the posters? circus put posters on lampposts too. are they fined?

Maybe they are out of town before the authorities are aware of them, who cares anyway circuses are a bit of fun and only last for a day or two.

Under the circumstances I would not complain about circus posters, they are not taking away business from any other business in the town. All is left to say is

Send In The Clowns

Maybe they are out of town before the authorities are aware of them, who cares anyway circuses are a bit of fun and only last for a day or two.

Under the circumstances I would not complain about circus posters, they are not taking away business from any other business in the town. All is left to say is

Send In The Clowns

And who is healy taking business from?
    who cares anyway circuses are a bit of fun and only last for a day or two.
    because they are fun they can break the law? And what about your friends the business people who went ten years in breach of the law and it was not enforced? do they now pay for their tables and ads?

The comment re the clowns is just evasion making fun

i am not pro healy or defending him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Don't know if this is the right place to post but as the topic is Clonmel I'm looking for suggestions for areas to rent in, an apartment is ok but preferably the most decent place/s to be. It would help if it's central, close to town and to LIT campus. Thanks

[edit, saw one bed place listed on Nelson Street that looked ok but I'm curious to know if the area is a bit dodgy as it's so central. Also interested in the riverside apartments, what's the story?]

I think Healy has been a huge disappointment since his election. I didnt have high hopes for him anyway as I didnt forsee any independent having any public profile with such a huge government majority. But Fianna Fail have struggled to define themselves in their new position as a third tier party and Sinn Fein have come across as moaning publicity seekers out of touch with politics in 21st century Ireland.

So to my surprise it has been the independents that have lead the opposition. They are often flawed in their stance and argument but they are the only ones causing any discomfort for the quisling regime. Ross, Wallace, Flanagan, Boyd Barrett, Daly, McGrath, etc have been the only ones making ministers sweat and that has been evidenced by Shatter having to resort to accessing confidential garda information to play the man rather than the ball. And amazingly the independents have overcome their diverse beliefs and policies to work together and share the limelight. Love him or hate him but Mattie has slotted into this team of independents and has had has his fair share of airtime.

Healy in contrast is the most disappointing of the independents. He seems to be doing little more than local work that he really should leave to his councillors. He probably thinks he will hold his seat and in a meltdown for Fine Gael and Labour and he is probably correct in that thinking. But I would have hoped for more from him at an unprecedented time when Dail Independents will never have it better and probably never will have it so good again.

Got no response in the thread above so trying my chances here. Looking to rent in or around the town in the next few months. From what I've gathered from the threads here, Clonmel is a shíthole but forgiving that important piece of information, where's the best place to live preferably close to town or near enough LIT tipp Campus. Thanks. :)

pharmaton wrote: »
    Got no response in the thread above so trying my chances here. Looking to rent in or around the town in the next few months. From what I've gathered from the threads here, Clonmel is a shíthole but forgiving that important piece of information, where's the best place to live preferably close to town or near enough LIT tipp Campus. Thanks. :)
    Way to go to get any help

cml387 wrote: »
    Way to go to get any help
    Way to go to give someone a bit of help.

I was being sarcastic btw, I spent a while reading through some of the threads here to get a better of idea of the area and all there seems to be is a lot of bickering about what a dive Tipperary towns are. It makes little difference to me at this stage of the game what the people are like or how much nightlife/shopping/jobs are available, it's much the same across most areas of Ireland and I'm well used to that. If ya don't or can't or are not willing to help I'm sure I'll manage either way. Thanks again..

• Advertisement

So you basically form an impression of a town by means of the internet.

I could similarly get a very bad impression of some towns and cities(Waterford, to take a random example) if I were foolish enough to trawl the Waterford forum here. But that would be foolish.

Also, sarcasm does not translate well on the internet:cool:

Anyway, I saw your previous post, and I would give one word of advice, avoid apartments on the quay because they are not desirable.You might be lucky but The Gables to take but one do not have a good reputation.

No place in in Clonmel is very far from the LIT campus, even on foot.

cml387 wrote: »
    So you basically form an impression of a town by means of the internet.

I could similarly get a very bad impression of some towns and cities(Waterford, to take a random example) if I were foolish enough to trawl the Waterford forum here. But that would be foolish.

Also, sarcasm does not translate well on the internet:cool:

Anyway, I saw your previous post, and I would give one word of advice, avoid apartments on the quay because they are not desirable.You might be lucky but The Gables to take but one do not have a good reputation.

No place in in Clonmel is very far from the LIT campus, even on foot.
    I think it's normal to check out places on the internet to get an idea of the area before you go and make decisions based on what you've gathered. That's why the internet is such a wonderful tool! and I agree you would get a bad impression if you based your information entirely on a handful of people from one internet forum but I'm not looking for impressions, I've been to Clonmel quite a few times over the years and I'm familiar with the town (which I like a lot!). What I am doing is seeking factual information, from people who live there about accommodation.

Anyway, thanks for your input I was wondering about the apartments on the quay, I passed by them recently and while they looked nice I did wonder about the area itself.

(I do have a permanent base in Waterford so nightlife and shopping and things aren't a big deal, I'm just looking for somewhere decent to live during the week. )

If you are a student, a house share would seem the cheapest option.

There was this thread a small while back that had some information. That guy seemed to have problems walking past traveller sites but hey we all have our phobias!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Im not from Clonmel but think it is a lovely town. Big too. Was there the other day and had some time and went for a lovely walk on the path beside the river suir. Lots out walking and plenty enjoying the sun and the the wildlife by the river.

If your driving you can live wherever you want nearby or down towards the waterford road or wherever you choose. If your on foot somewhere around dillon street or the railway station would be central and mean you are near campus with with the towns shops and pubs a few minutes walk away.

It is a nice place alright, was up last week and made a day of it, did a bit of shopping and took a walk around. I will be on foot and there will be two of us sharing and just trying to make it convenient for us both, campus is about 15 mins walk from town?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

About that id say. The railway station area dillion st area is about ten to fifteen mins at a slow pace id guess and its near shops amenities too. Check it out on google maps. Dont know much about the area but it is a nearby location anyway and id say most places or areas in clonmel will be grand.The colleges section on boards might help provide info on student areas in clonmel.

Sincerely ask yourself this question ! What do I want to prioritise ? My Education or My Social Life. If it is study there is plenty of nice estates from Ard Caoin (North of N24) right over to the LIT campus. Comfortable accomodation and not overpriced.

Local small shops and good take aways, Chinese, Pizza, and very good chipper within five to ten minutes walk of all the estates

It's almost if not a 30 minute walk into town centre. Plenty of taxis to get you back for Five Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Don't know if this is the right place to post but as the topic is Clonmel I'm looking for suggestions for areas to rent in, an apartment is ok but preferably the most decent place/s to be. It would help if it's central, close to town and to LIT campus. Thanks

[edit, saw one bed place listed on Nelson Street that looked ok but I'm curious to know if the area is a bit dodgy as it's so central. Also interested in the riverside apartments, what's the story?]

Are you going to be living on your own? There is a lack of decent one bed apartments in Clonmel. Most of the apt complexes by the river would not be recommended. Can't comment on Nelson St.

If you're willing to share there are some very nice estates on the Cashel and Fethard rd beyond the bypass. Lots of young professionals working in Abbot and Boston Scientific live in these estates.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Are you going to be living on your own? There is a lack of decent one bed apartments in Clonmel. Most of the apt complexes by the river would not be recommended. Can't comment on Nelson St.

If you're willing to share there are some very nice estates on the Cashel and Fethard rd beyond the bypass. Lots of young professionals working in Abbot and Boston Scientific live in these estates.

Would agree most of these houses are South Facing and the heating costs are as minimal as you get in Ireland.

• Advertisement

LoveCoke wrote: »
    And who is healy taking business from?
    because they are fun they can break the law? And what about your friends the business people who went ten years in breach of the law and it was not enforced? do they now pay for their tables and ads?

The comment re the clowns is just evasion making fun

i am not pro healy or defending him
    would you like to tell us who healy is taking business from?

Advertisement