Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

I didn't hear this interview, but I did hear the one he did with Pat Kenny. He was advising business people to close the business down and tell their staff that they can't afford redundancy, but inform them how to go about getting it from the State. Then re open the business again, taking back on only the best workers, at a lower rate of pay, Charming!
    when was this was did the plank say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Funny, I listened to the interview and my wife overhearing it threw an absolute sh*tfit when he stated that he doesn't charge for his "counselling" services. She reckons he was interviewed on Midmorning sometime after the launch of the first book and being asked about his new counselling business that he did in fact state that he does charge people for the service...Can anyone find that original Midweek interview?

I'd be dead curious to see if in fact the very man who didn't recognise the tribunal of an aggrieved employee did in fact perjure himself!

iceage wrote: »
    Funny, I listened to the interview and my wife overhearing it threw an absolute sh*tfit when he stated that he doesn't charge for his "counselling" services. She reckons he was interviewed on Midmorning sometime after the launch of the first book and being asked about his new counselling business that he did in fact state that he does charge people for the service...Can anyone find that original Midweek interview?

I'd be dead curious to see if in fact the very man who didn't recognise the tribunal of an aggrieved employee did in fact perjure himself!
    ?? he wasn't at the tribunal

Apologies, bit early for me! Maybe perjure is not the correct term in this context. Did He say previously in the Midmorning show after the launch of the first book that he has a new business/service(Insight I believe its called) and charges clients for his advice.. considering that in the Tipp Fm podcast above that he stated that this is not true and that he does not charge for his services, ie is there a discrepancy in the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

iceage wrote: »

I hope this is true. However I wouldn't believe a word that came out of Reilly's month. He wouldn't hesitate to asset strip STGH if he thought it will boost FG's chances of re-election in Cork or Waterford or Kilkenny or Limerick. The Save our Hospital campaign needs to maintain a vocal presence to remind him that the lives of Tipperary people are just as valuable as those who live in constituencies that are likely to return a couple of FG TDs.

Hmm, have to agree with you Touts. Lets wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

touts wrote: »
    The Save our Hospital campaign needs to maintain a vocal presence to remind him that the lives of Tipperary people are just as valuable as those who live in constituencies that are likely to return a couple of FG TDs.

I wonder will anyone write to Dept. Health.......................and say we in South Tipperary welcome the decision stating it is intelligent to have a major hospital just 15 minutes off the M8 motorway.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    I wonder will anyone write to Dept. Health.......................and say we in South Tipperary welcome the decision stating it is intelligent to have a major hospital just 15 minutes off the M8 motorway.

Good idea. But I dont think the accountants in Department of Health actually run the health service. They handed responsibility to the accountants in the old Health boards who in turn passed it on to the accountants in the HSE who in turn passed it on to the accountants in HIQUA who in turn passed it on to the accountants based in the individual hospitals. And now they get to pass responsiblity on to the accountants in the six new health boards which are apparently already planning to pass it on to another set of accountants in UK style hospital trusts.

Its no wonder accountancy firms are struggling to recruit candidates for jobs. All the accountants are now healthcare professionals and all our actual healthcare professionals have to move to Australia to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

touts wrote: »
    healthcare professionals have to move to Australia to get a job.

We are a small insular inward looking country. Professionals who are brave enough to experience life and work outside Ireland will bring back a more global view and should be given " brownie points" for any position they apply for if they wish to come back.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I'm thinking of buying a small house in Mandeville Place off Wellington Street. Is this a nice enough place to live? Thank you. :)

Right around the corner from the Courthouse and the Dole office and surrounded by rented properties & apartments. Best to go and have a good look round for yourself. That whole area had flood issues before the flood barrier was put in place but I believe that has been addressed now. Very close to the the centre of the town though, literally 2 minutes from O'Connell St in one direction and the Showgrounds in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I lived there for a bit. The flooding was never an issue, as compared to the river side they are well elevated. What did happen was the quay would be closed but you wouldn't need to go that far to get in or out with your car or walking.
    Sometimes you see the 'undesirables' by the court house but it was never an issue. To get to the closest corner shop (don't know if it is a spar/centra or whatever, but the one beside Fieldmaster) ,I went round the other side instead of the court house side but just found it handier.
    The location is really great so if that's a big factor then it can't be beat. No green areas and not a good idea to have kids running around outside with all the cars going in and out, if you are taking kids into consideration.
    If you are partial to takeaway it is a nightmare location! I used to haunt the chinese on the quay and the parnell grill place.
    Not sure what the people are like there now. When I was there, there was a good mix of nationalities with most people working. Not sure if you will get to know the neighbours but I suppose most people don't really see their neighbours these days anyway.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Thanks, folks, for your input.

Regarding the flooding situation see the attached photo from 2000. The flooded street you're looking directly down in the photo is Wellington St., off which Mandeville Place lies. Hopefully the new flood defences have solved the problem.

Clonmel (Wellington St.)A.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Any jobs going around town. Finished college and need something to do for the summer! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

ciano1 wrote: »
    Any jobs going around town. Finished college and need something to do for the summer! :pac:

The new Supermacs on the bypass are interviewing at the moment. Apple petrol station on the dungarvan road were also looking for someone. check following websites fas.ie, jobrapido.ie, indeed.ie and hopefully you'll get something. Good luck

Boston Scientific or Abbot were taking on students for the summer.

About time! Lets hope it'll be enforced - or will they claim 'it's their culture'?
    http://www.nationalist.ie/news/local/sulkies-to-be-tackled-with-new-south-tipperary-council-laws-1-5119346

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

About time! Lets hope it'll be enforced - or will they claim 'it's their culture'?
    http://www.nationalist.ie/news/local/sulkies-to-be-tackled-with-new-south-tipperary-council-laws-1-5119346

Unfortunately the last time the Borough Council tried to implement these by-laws Pavee Point became involved and the proposal was unfortunately shelved. They wrote a letter to South Tipp Today claiming it was an attack on their culture. Link to the last time this was tried.

Hopefully this time the ban will come in about both horse ownership and the use of sulkies on public roads as they are a danger both to other road users and the riders.

It won't solve the problem in Clonmel. They will just keep the horses tied up on grass verges over the county boundary in Waterford where Council officials won't touch them and then race the sulkies around the town knowing there are too few guards to be bothered chasing them. What is needed is a nationwide law but the government are terrified of Pavee point.

• Advertisement

ALERT

There is a guy going around Clonmel in a greyish/blue Toyota Avensis with a UK reg **** *** asking for money on the apparent pretext of needing to make an urgent trip to see a sick relative.

He hangs around or drive around shopping centre car parks approaching people going to coming from shops. may be stopping on street too. This looks dodgy.. Mods how much of the reg a can be posted, some or all or none?

LoveCoke wrote: »
    ALERT

There is a guy going around Clonmel in a greyish/blue Toyota Avensis with a UK reg **** *** asking for money on the apparent pretext of needing to make an urgent trip to see a sick relative.

He hangs around or drive around shopping centre car parks approaching people going to coming from shops. may be stopping on street too. This looks dodgy.. Mods how much of the reg a can be posted, some or all or none?

I take it you've reported this to the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Park Hotel gone into administration,no job losses the comapny handling it but it wouldnt be the best sign...

Also i am a member of the leisure centre so pretty anxious as regards the future of it

dahat wrote: »
    Park Hotel gone into administration,no job losses the comapny handling it but it wouldnt be the best sign...

Also i am a member of the leisure centre so pretty anxious as regards the future of it

Where did you see that. dahat?

Came up on my Facebook feed,Tipperary news plus the leisure centre Facebook page had a paragraph saying the same on it

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

Fionn wrote: »
    cant remember the year of the explosion but i do remember i was attending a meeting down the quay in the then ITGWU hall, a prefab which shook with the force of the blast, we all ran up Dowds lane to see what happened, the whole building was blown upwards each floor blown up and then dumped down pushing everything into the basement, the street was strewn with the contents of the building.

On the location of Los Vegas, Gus Bonelli had the one where Johnny Dell had the hair salon then in the 80's moved to where Nicky Delicato had the pub (Niamh's).

I lived in Mitchell street right thru the 70's . Gus Bonelli had his las Vegas or playland originally in Number 8 (next to barretts) He was never in Johnny Dels. Before Gus took over there were prevoius owners from dublin, cannot remember their names. Its rumoured thar the Laudy Boo name was coined by Joss Regan when he was asked to read the Las Vegas sign over Number 8.

Came up on my Facebook feed,Tipperary news plus the leisure centre Facebook page had a paragraph saying the same on it

Bloody Hell. That and Ballykisteen in 2 days! Bad news indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

Don't see anything about this on facebook or tipperary news, best not spreading this type of news until 100% sure and a statement is made by management, this can effect future business bookings like weddings, not fair on staff either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Royco wrote: »

Don't see anything about this on facebook or tipperary news, best not spreading this type of news until 100% sure and a statement is made by management, this can effect future business bookings like weddings, not fair on staff either

From Tipperary News FB
    Tipperary News understands this evening that the Clonmel Park Hotel has been put into administration. It is also believed that three other hotels in the Brennan group have also been put into administration. The staff at the hotel were called to a meeting this evening and given the news. The hotel will carry out business as normal and there will be no job losses.

From Park Hotel FB
    The Management & Staff of Clonmel Park Hotel would like to confirm that it is business as usual for all our customers & leisure club member. All staff will remain working in the hotel and we are pleased to confirm the appointment of a new management company HAMS who will oversee the management of the hotel into the future.

• Advertisement

Royco wrote: »

Well it was published elsewhere well before i posted here,rumour it was not.

Advertisement