Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

I take it you've reported this to the Gardai?
    can you pm me i cannot pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

ciano1 wrote: »
    Any jobs going around town. Finished college and need something to do for the summer! :pac:

Ciano you have a PM - company recruiting

Brgds
    Johnny

dahat wrote: »
    Park Hotel gone into administration,no job losses the comapny handling it but it wouldnt be the best sign...

Also i am a member of the leisure centre so pretty anxious as regards the future of it

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/gaa-sponsors-three-hotels-go-into-receivership-29294975.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

My feeling is that anyone with a wedding booked there should relax. The Clonmel hotel has every chance of being sold. I have no inside info but of the three hotels in the group under pressure the Clonmel hotel would attract most interest for potential investors.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

At first i thought it was mis reported about Ballykisteen that it was receivership rather than liquidation, dont want to alarm anyone but the link here http://www.businessbarometer.ie/Risk-Management/Ballykisteen-Hotel-Limited-433210 shows Ballykisteen Hotel is up for Liquidation, that means selling off everything to pay a list of creditors, anyone with deposits or any suppliers would usually be way down the list
    heres another link
    Hopefully it will be bought as a going concern. Lots of jobs and even spin-off employment affected!

I would imagine the 74 weddings are probably ok but i cant see any new couples booking an event there in the near future. Same i guess would go for The Park.
    I hope everyone gets their booking or deposit returned if they do go under!

• Advertisement

Fionn wrote: »
    The Park.

Three of the four hotels in the Brennan Group – the Arklow Bay, Clonmel Park Hotel in Tipperary and the Springhill Court Hotel in Kilkenny – have gone into receivership

A spokeswoman said it was "business as usual" at all three hotels and that they would be managed as going concerns.

Maybe there is value to be had in booking a wedding in The Park, why not inquire and see if it's possible do a deal that includes only a small deposit.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Xenophile wrote: »

Maybe there is value to be had in booking a wedding in The Park, why not inquire and see if it's possible do a deal that includes only a small deposit.

I wouldn't be advising anyone to invest their hard earned cash in a company that may or may not be there next week - life is tough for everyone and nobody can afford to lose any money on a deposit if worse comes to worse.

Its not even the deposit that would be the problem, it would be the fact that if the sh1te hit the fan, some couple, who had invested thousands in a special day would have nowhere to have their reception - can you imagine if that happened the week before your wedding - get real

Really Xenophile, I'd love to live in your cosy little world, where everything smells of roses but I don't. I live in the real world, maybe you would like to join the rest of us

AK333 wrote: »

Really Xenophile, I'd love to live in your cosy little world, where everything smells of roses but I don't. I live in the real world, maybe you would like to join the rest of us

If you want to live your life in fear, well that's your choice, get back to me next year and tell me you were right, in the meantime let those who are brave and intelligent enough to check with the Clonmel Park Hotel and see what kind of deal they can make. I have been running my own business for forty years so I can tell you I know what I am talking about.

If you want to live your life in fear, well that's your choice, get back to me next year and tell me you were right, in the meantime let those who are brave and intelligent enough to check with the Clonmel Park Hotel and see what kind of deal they can make. I have been running my own business for forty years so I can tell you I know what I am talking about.

Matters not a jot what deal they can make - if the hotel closes it doors a week before their function, they are left high and dry and it matters nothing about your 40 years of business - if I am paying 4k or 5k for a reception (or whatever they cost these days) I want to know the hotel will be open on the day - regardless of any deal I can do - you are missing the point. You cannot arrange functions with any pleasure in case the doors close!

Its nothing to do with bravery or intelligence - its planning! Surely you've dealt with planning in your business?

AK333 wrote: »

Its nothing to do with bravery or intelligence - its planning! Surely you've dealt with planning in your business?

It's all about bravery and intelligence. I encourage couples who are planning a wedding to negotiate with the hotel, maybe also talk to their bank and get professional advice. I say again my own feeling everthing will be alright. Please don't peddle fear there is too much of that around at the moment.

• Advertisement

It's all about bravery and intelligence. I encourage couples who are planning a wedding to negotiate with the hotel, maybe also talk to their bank and get professional advice. I say again my own feeling everthing will be alright. Please don't peddle fear there is too much of that around at the moment.

What do the happy couple do if the hotel closes its doors? Answer me that. What do they do. Where do they have their Reception? Have you got a spare marquee?

What does the business do, that has arranged a big meeting/gathering marketing their business and the hotel closes its doors. Where do they go?

nothing to do with a bank - if the hotel closes, because the parent company says enough, the doors close

I'm not peddling fear, I'm being realistic. If you are planning a function, you need to know that the hotel/meeting place will be there on the day - that's all. How you feel doesn't make a jot of difference to a young couple planning their big day - they need certainty, not your feelings (unless of course you own a hotel and can facilitate)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I had some silver jewellery stolen out of my car during the week in town.

Does anyone know if the cash for gold shops in Clonmel accept silver or would it be worth my while going around the antique and jewellery shops to see if anyone has tried to sell it?

Meathlass wrote: »
    I had some silver jewellery stolen out of my car during the week in town.

Does anyone know if the cash for gold shops in Clonmel accept silver or would it be worth my while going around the antique and jewellery shops to see if anyone has tried to sell it?

Sorry to hear about this. No one is going to admit receiving stolen goods or get themselves attention from thieves. Report the matter to the Gardai. Leave it to Gardai and relax as best you can about it. Hope your property finds it's way back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Im sorry Xenophile but from experience you have got to be proactive on things like this. The chances of the Gardai ever getting it back to the owner are slim to none. By all means report it but dont sit back and expect for much if you really want it back.
    Meathlass, id certainly try any gold and antique shops. Even if they have been passed on to another party, someone may try to cash in on it at some stage. Even if the thief is not identified, you stand a better chance of getting it back. Also try a quick search on donedeal or buyandsell.
    Can you say where abouts it was stolen? If there were shops with cameras nearby, who may also be connected to users here, it may be possible to check camera footage.

Robbery has been reported to Gardai and a substantal number of fingerprints were taken from the car and the bottle used to break the window. There is also a eyewitness report. The Gardas seem fairly confident they will get the person resposible. That's not really my concern though. I would just like my property back.

Thanks for the idea about Done Deal and buy and sell, johnny. I'm not going to give any specific details of location (it was town centre) in case this comes to court and I've faith that the Gardai will check cctv and the like that might be nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

I wish you luck in getting your property back but don't hold out much hope. Our house was broken into a while ago and a lot of my jewellery was taken. The gardai caught someone for the crime but my jewellery was long gone. They get rid of it straight away. I'm actually surprised they took silver though because they went through my jewellery box and only took gold. They left everything else behind including silver and alabaster. Gold is worth so much that it's all they really want and it's easy to get rid of with these "cash for gold" outlets everywhere.

Yeah I'm not expecting to get it back but might as well try. I'm sure it's been sold on by now. He actually stole my gym bag from the car and I'd some jewellery in that. Left my runners, clothes and bag on the street though which were probably worth as much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Was this on the Quay?

cml387 wrote: »
    Was this on the Quay?

Yes, near the Gas House Bridge end

Sorry to hear about the robbery Meathlass, this sort of thing leaves a horrible taste in your mouth. I'm with Johnny Adidas on the fact that you need to be proactive in chasing down your jewellery. I know it sounds a bit OTT buy have you thought of emailing the Seamus Martin TIPPFM show, just asking people to be aware if they are offered silver jewellery or maybe offer a reward? Just a thought, don't give up hope you never know, you might be lucky.

• Advertisement

I saw your car on Monday ?? night with both side windows smashed in.
    Sorry to hear about your loss, I'd be really p***** off if it happened to me.
    Just a reminder to everyone, never leave bags in a car so that they're visible.It's an advertisement to scumbags.

Just a reminder to everyone, never leave bags in a car so that they're visible.It's an advertisement to scumbags.

....................................................................................................?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Sorry to hear about your theft and hope you get your silver back @Meathlass - I didn't think there was much of this type of crime in town.

Was it left overnight? lots of taxi's and garda cars would be up along there all night - its a wonder anyone didnt see someone. Dirtbags!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Gas House Bridge is a dodgy place to park a car since those appartments were built close by.

Don't think that was me. Only one side window smashed and mine was robbed on Tuesday at 8pm in glorious sunshine with lots of cars and walkers around.

I was attending a meeting in the area and there was at least another 30 cars parked nearby with lots of people around. Lesson learned though about leaving anything visible in the car.

Don't think that was me. Only one side window smashed and mine was robbed on Tuesday at 8pm in glorious sunshine with lots of cars and walkers around.

I was attending a meeting in the area and there was at least another 30 cars parked nearby with lots of people around. Lesson learned though about leaving anything visible in the car.

That means that another car was robbed in roughly the same location.:mad:

That means that another car was robbed in roughly the same location.:mad:

Bit crazy alright. Like a previous poster didn't really think much of this happened in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bit crazy alright. Like a previous poster didn't really think much of this happened in Clonmel.

Clonmel is rife with Heroin these days and to feed that habit is pretty expensive,robberies are on the rise,it will only get worse,mark my words.Leave nothing visible and double check all locks etc before you leave the house or car.

Was Richard Mulcahy the last Cabinet Minister to represent South Tipperary, he was Education Minister in the 1950s.

Richard James Mulcahy (10 May 1886 – 16 December 1971) was an Irish politician, Army General and Commander-in-chief, leader of Fine Gael and Cabinet minister. He fought in the 1916 Easter Rising, served as Chief of Staff of the Irish Republican Army during the War of Independence and became commander of the pro-treaty forces in the Irish Civil War after the death of Michael Collins.

Mulcahy went on to serve as Minister for Education from 1948 until 1951. Another coalition government came to power at the 1954 election, with Mulcahy once again stepping aside to become Minister for Education in the Second Inter-Party Government. The government fell in 1957, but Mulcahy remained as Fine Gael leader until October 1959. In October 1960 he told his Tipperary constituents that he did not intend to contest the next election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Was Noel Davern not education minister, not for very long though.

Advertisement