Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

thats the start of the new bridge works

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

copy1 wrote: »
    thats the start of the new bridge works
    Yeah,there widening the bridge and badly needed it is to,when the main work starts on it traffic will be one way over the bridge so might cause a bit of chaos for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hamco

Nice to see they are sorting out that bridge, its a nightmare at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I used to love that cottage in the summer, there was always a really beautiful purple flower/weed growing up through it. I wonder is that bridge listed or is it more modern than it looks. Hope they don't have to knock it completely to widen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Meathlass wrote: »
    I used to love that cottage in the summer, there was always a really beautiful purple flower/weed growing up through it. I wonder is that bridge listed or is it more modern than it looks. Hope they don't have to knock it completely to widen it.

A couple wanted to buy that cottage years ago and put a youth hostel there but when the locals found out they put an end to it, So it just remained idle !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

charlemont wrote: »
    A couple wanted to buy that cottage years ago and put a youth hostel there but when the locals found out they put an end to it, So it just remained idle !

Seems a pity that there's no youth hostel in Clonmel. I think there's one up at Powers the Pot or there used to be anyway but that's not really convenient for anyone relying on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

A couple wanted to buy that cottage years ago
    who were they when was it?
    when the locals found out they put an end to it,
    any more info was there a planning app?

Meathlass wrote: »

I was asking a few people about the works going on there today, no one seems to know for sure how they are planning to widen the road, the two foundations laid dont really give much away either.
    Time will tell unless someone here can tell us more.

hamco wrote: »
    I was asking a few people about the works going on there today, no one seems to know for sure how they are planning to widen the road, the two foundations laid dont really give much away either.
    Time will tell unless someone here can tell us more.
    http://www.nationalist.ie/news/local/funding_for_railway_bridge_project_welcomed_1_3499502

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/racist-attacks-in-tipperary-on-home-of-14-year-old-boy-0024708-1

I see some scumbags were at it again. There should be no need for this type of crap.

Racist attacks in Tipperary on home of 14-year-old boy
    today at 2:30 pm
    Us Irish may think we're not really that racist, just in a funny, loveable way. But, we may want to look at the treatment of one black teenager in Tipperary before we trot out that gem again...

There is no place for the scum that carried out that attack in our society, sad thing is when and if they get locked up, we will foot the bill for that, still it would be a small price to pay to have them off the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/racist-attacks-in-tipperary-on-home-of-14-year-old-boy-0024708-1

I see some scumbags were at it again. There should be no need for this type of crap.

Us Irish may think we're not really that racist, just in a funny, loveable way. But, we may want to look at the treatment of one black teenager in Tipperary before we trot out that gem again.

Thomas Channon is only 14-years-old and has been attracting the ire of local thugs just because of his skin colour. The boy has been bullied and tormented over the past five years in Clonmel, Co Tipperary.

Things went to a new and more violent level on Friday night when a gang attacked the house. They broke almost every window in the house, leaving the family shocked and distraught and lumbered with a massive glazing bill.

His mother, Ann Marie, who's white, has also been targeted with abuse by some locals. She told the Irish Sun: "I'm traumatised over this and Thomas has been very upset.

"For the past five years we haven't been able to live with the sickening levels of abuse because my son is mixed race. I get, 'You n*****-loving whore' thrown at me. I've had bananas thrown at me as recently as yesterday."

Gardaí say they are investigating the incident and that a man has been arrested with a file being prepared for the DPP.:mad:
    Shocking stuff,people who do this sort of thing are pure scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

tippspur wrote: »

Us Irish may think we're not really that racist, just in a funny, loveable way. But, we may want to look at the treatment of one black teenager in Tipperary before we trot out that gem again.

Thomas Channon is only 14-years-old and has been attracting the ire of local thugs just because of his skin colour. The boy has been bullied and tormented over the past five years in Clonmel, Co Tipperary.

Things went to a new and more violent level on Friday night when a gang attacked the house. They broke almost every window in the house, leaving the family shocked and distraught and lumbered with a massive glazing bill.

His mother, Ann Marie, who's white, has also been targeted with abuse by some locals. She told the Irish Sun: "I'm traumatised over this and Thomas has been very upset.

"For the past five years we haven't been able to live with the sickening levels of abuse because my son is mixed race. I get, 'You n*****-loving whore' thrown at me. I've had bananas thrown at me as recently as yesterday."

Gardaí say they are investigating the incident and that a man has been arrested with a file being prepared for the DPP.:mad:
    Shocking stuff,people who do this sort of thing are pure scum.

Absolutely right they it saddens me to think this is happening in the town we call home :(

It happened in the village of Lisronagh just outside town , the mother of the young guy targeted spoke out on Tipp fm on Sunday, she comes from a respected Family in Clonmel.
    The guy involved went into hiding for a few hours after this, before returning to his own house and smashing his own windows, before being arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

any one any idea whats going in at bowling alley or is it just ground works area all fenced off with green netting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Paintball going in there from what I've heard

its mad does any1 know if Devans irishtown is a pub or restaurant..i went in there couple nights back and 2 cops at bar looking to see licence...yet they have limited drinks i didnt get any beer barwoman said cant served...so it was ma ryans for me(and the rest is a blur lol)

actually while i m here a chap in ma ryans saying fizgerald/nash old building is taken any1 hear what???

copy1 wrote: »
    its mad does any1 know if Devans irishtown is a pub or restaurant..i went in there couple nights back and 2 cops at bar looking to see licence...yet they have limited drinks i didnt get any beer barwoman said cant served...so it was ma ryans for me(and the rest is a blur lol)
    Must be only a restaurant (and a bad one at that) as ive stated before a group of us got refused drink in there around Easter cos they didnt have a liqour licence.In my opinion its only a make shift of a pub now wont be too long til its closed again, I wont visit there again and the same goes for my group of friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

Devanes is open as a pub and restaurant now. Was in there last weekend and enquired. The guy next door running the pizza place has taken out the lease of it. Seemed like good value to me when I ate there, and I love those pizzas :-)

Deminiman wrote: »
    Devanes is open as a pub and restaurant now. Was in there last weekend and enquired. The guy next door running the pizza place has taken out the lease of it. Seemed like good value to me when I ate there, and I love those pizzas :-)
    I agree with your comments about the Pizzas they are lovely but thats as far as it goes for me the pub has no drink or shouldnt have as they have no licence, theres as much atmosphere in there as there is below in st Patricks cemetery place is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LFC1

heard a bit of what was going on in devanes so had to check it out for myself and sorry i did, place is empty and bare, no atmosphere and no drink except for large bottles of cider and two bottles of whiskey on shelf. had two drinks ( lge cider) in there and i was only one in pub with more staff behind counter than outside it. cant understand a place like that opening with half an effort but then again i know devanes from old pub in gladstone street and their very shady to say the least, place needs new owners to get it back to the days of allens. verdict wouldnt recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

LFC1 wrote: »
    heard a bit of what was going on in devanes so had to check it out for myself and sorry i did, place is empty and bare, no atmosphere and no drink except for large bottles of cider and two bottles of whiskey on shelf. had two drinks ( lge cider) in there and i was only one in pub with more staff behind counter than outside it. cant understand a place like that opening with half an effort but then again i know devanes from old pub in gladstone street and their very shady to say the least, place needs new owners to get it back to the days of allens. verdict wouldnt recommend it.

Devanes haven't had the place in Irishtown for ages and ages at this stage. There's been at least one other set of owners between them giving it up and the new owners going in there.

i went in there when last crowd had it,have to say some difference since at least they had a tv and a draught lager....so how can they sell cider is that a different licence????

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LFC1

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Devanes haven't had the place in Irishtown for ages and ages at this stage. There's been at least one other set of owners between them giving it up and the new owners going in there.
    Thats where your wrong, Devanes still own the pub and are back there now with a polish guy managing it for them, I used to drink there regulary and there was two other leasees there but the phoniex closed due to problems with landlord and gavins closed because the landlord failed to renew the licence all in all it comes back to devanes again. The phoniex were doing ok up there especially with the food, ok not so much on the drink side and Gavins had brought an atmosphere back to the pub people started drinking there again, they had sky sports and racing darts and pool table and the food was very good. when a pub keeps changing hands the problem has to lie with the landlord all tenants cant be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

LFC1 wrote: »
    Thats where your wrong, Devanes still own the pub and are back there now with a polish guy managing it for them, I used to drink there regulary and there was two other leasees there but the phoniex closed due to problems with landlord and gavins closed because the landlord failed to renew the licence all in all it comes back to devanes again. The phoniex were doing ok up there especially with the food, ok not so much on the drink side and Gavins had brought an atmosphere back to the pub people started drinking there again, they had sky sports and racing darts and pool table and the food was very good. when a pub keeps changing hands the problem has to lie with the landlord all tenants cant be wrong.

Fair enough, you obviously know a lot more about it than I do.

I have to agree with LFC1 devanes place is finished they need to face up to the fact people of clonmel dont like them or their ways they ruined the social scene in Irishtown ( ask the drinkers in any pub in irishtown they'll verify this)
    People criticise pubs like the harp,prystan,piper but these people are left alone by their landlords to run their business

Royco wrote: »
    I have to agree with LFC1 devanes place is finished they need to face up to the fact people of clonmel dont like them or their ways they ruined the social scene in Irishtown ( ask the drinkers in any pub in irishtown they'll verify this)
    People criticise pubs like the harp,prystan,piper but these people are left alone by their landlords to run their business
    how dd they riun irishtown?

• Advertisement

Departed wrote: »
    how dd they riun irishtown?
    They ruined it because Allens was one of the best pubs in clonmel and when they came in they tried to change it to a young persons pub which didnt work, they barred alot of the old regulars especially if you had work clothes on you, they got rid of the cards and dart teams from there, pubs in irishtown never needed bouncers on the doors but they did. Drink in careys and ma ryans and ask regulars how they feel about devanes you'll be told the same. I drank there all my life, one day i walked in after work(building site) and told i wouldnt be served no reason just told to leave, and i wasnt alone in this this happened to several people, the dart teams (all regulars) were asked to leave. i think this is ruining irishtown

Advertisement