Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭touts

I see the old slatterys/visionstores building has been sold. Anyone know what going in there. " I heard Argos are comin :)

Argos are already in Clonmel. Why would they set up two stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

touts wrote: »
    Argos are already in Clonmel. Why would they set up two stores?

Sorry it's an old Clonmel thing. Any building free in the town for years had people speculating that Argos was coming to town hence the smiley face after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭touts

Sorry it's an old Clonmel thing. Any building free in the town for years had people speculating that Argos was coming to town hence the smiley face after it.

Ah right. Sort of Limerick and Marks & Spencers. They are fecking livid there is one in Clonmel!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

There doesn't seem to be any planning permission obtained for that site.
    The building may be listed for it's facade,making things difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

touts wrote: »
    Ah right. Sort of Limerick and Marks & Spencers. They are fecking livid there is one in Clonmel!:)
    the limerick fol should go to the on enn clonmel an d do al their shopping there and keep out of thetown centre with it parking fees

• Advertisement

Departed wrote: »
    the limerick fol should go to the on enn clonmel an d do al their shopping there and keep out of thetown centre with it parking fees
    Still having trouble with that iPhone,mmm?

cml387 wrote: »
    Still having trouble with that iPhone,mmm?
    i wish........

There doesn't seem to be any planning permission obtained for that site.
    The building may be listed for it's facade,making things difficult.

Might not be lodged yet. The sign was only changes in the last week I reckon. I saw 2 people come out of the vision store entrance this evening. Would be nice to see something decent go in there. Might bring a bit of custom through market place if there was something there.

Might not be lodged yet. The sign was only changes in the last week I reckon. I saw 2 people come out of the vision store entrance this evening. Would be nice to see something decent go in there. Might bring a bit of custom through market place if there was something there.

Do you remember when it was Boyd's?

Vaguely but more so when Slatterys was in there. Bought a lot of stuff in there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 TooMuchTea

Now there's an old memory, I remember before they built the Vision Store there was a chain link fence and Boyd's had of their farm machinery in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭nowayjosie

I'll keep my fingers crossed - it would be brilliant if something else opened there. Whats the new refurbished building beside "Specsavers" it was totally renovated and its finished now but (maybe i'm wrong) I don't see a name of a company etc.. on the outside. At first I thought it might be a doctors surgery. :D

nowayjosie wrote: »
    I'll keep my fingers crossed - it would be brilliant if something else opened there. Whats the new refurbished building beside "Specsavers" it was totally renovated and its finished now but (maybe i'm wrong) I don't see a name of a company etc.. on the outside. At first I thought it might be a doctors surgery. :D

It's a house. There's a retired dentist living there. Not the biggest fan of the Posthouse either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

there seems to have been a couple of places purchased recently will be very interesting to see whats going to open in town. I'd say we will see Supermacs opening somewhere soon I know they have been looking for a long time in Clonmel for a place to open in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

alexmcred wrote: »
    there seems to have been a couple of places purchased recently will be very interesting to see whats going to open in town. I'd say we will see Supermacs opening somewhere soon I know they have been looking for a long time in Clonmel for a place to open in.

I thought Supermacs were going in where the Renault garage was,just as you turn in for Chadwicks? Granted,it was a while since I heard that.

DT100 wrote: »
    I thought Supermacs were going in where the Renault garage was,just as you turn in for Chadwicks? Granted,it was a while since I heard that.

I heard that too but you'd never know who's planning to go where. Hopefully we will see some new sustainable businesses opening in town and bring some life back into the town centre.

Supermacs have bought the old GBM Renault garage near Tescos. So yeah Im sure it won't be long til we have one of them.

Supermacs have bought the old GBM Renault garage near Tescos. So yeah Im sure it won't be long til we have one of them.
    Being bored and having checked these things, there is no planning application for a change of use for the GBM site either.

Being bored and having checked these things, there is no planning application for a change of use for the GBM site either.

I'm fairly sure there was a planning application up outside there a whole back. Could be wrong though.

I heard that too but you'd never know who's planning to go where. Hopefully we will see some new sustainable businesses opening in town and bring some life back into the town centre.

It would be nice to see the units in Ormonde Centre being let - besides the 3 shops in it which seem to be doing very well - the rest are idle for the moment

• Advertisement

nowayjosie wrote: »
    It would be nice to see the units in Ormonde Centre being let - besides the 3 shops in it which seem to be doing very well - the rest are idle for the moment

Absolutely work on O'Connell mall seems to have stopped again would be great to see something done with that as it has turned into a complete eye sore

Absolutely work on O'Connell mall seems to have stopped again would be great to see something done with that as it has turned into a complete eye sore

Rumour had it that "Dealz" were moving in there. They have opened a few shops up the country in the last few weeks I'm sure the work will be full steam ahead soon if it true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Rumour had it that "Dealz" were moving in there. They have opened a few shops up the country in the last few weeks I'm sure the work will be full steam ahead soon if it true.
    Is dealz a kind of 2 euro shop or what ?

tippspur wrote: »

I hope its not tippspur as the ones we have in Clonmel are adequate and particularly the one in Ormonde Centre its fantastic, and we've enough of them having said that - another one would bring employment etc...so I don't want to knock it either.

tippspur wrote: »

Yep. They're "pound land" in the uk but obviously couldn't use that name over here. From what I hear they do a lot of food items like bread milk etc.

Yep. They're "pound land" in the uk but obviously couldn't use that name over here. From what I hear they do a lot of food items like bread milk etc.

Damn it - the jobs they provide are few and at this stage I think Clonmel have enough of these €savers type shops we need new businesses opening up and the creation of employment - unreal to see yet another one of these opening - they don't provide quality either - dont get me wrong I love the ones we have and I buy from them as there are bargains to be had but do we need or want more of them??? I don't think so one closed down in Mitchel street not too long ago and one in the Marystone centre (walk through to car park) closed down so between the one on O'Connell Street and one in Ormonde Centre and there's another good one in Showgrounds why in Gods name do we need another???

Just out of curiosity - Whats going on in all the new VEC adult education centres there's at least 3 of them now around Clonmel are they providing courses? do they employ many?

That will be good more choice might bring down prices like bread milk essentials etc

Its a shame - for a small town we have our quota of these €saver shops - they dont sell bread or milk cheaper than Dunnes stores - Dunnes have their own brand of bread for €0.65cent I don't know of any where cheaper also Dunnes sell their own branded milk - now if you compare that to even the brilliant €2 store in Ormonde Court they dont beat Dunnes - so if its true that another one of these types of shops are coming to Clonmel its a real pity as at the end of the day they wont beat Dunnes they dont bring any type of well paid employment with prospects to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 waseqr

Hi,

i'm moving to clonmel shortly for work. looking for places to rent can anyone tell me where's the best place to look?

Also what is the non-pub social life like. i.e during the week are there any clubs etc. that take newbies? Looking for clubs like Masters swimming and badmintion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hamco

There used to be a small cottage across from Statoil, it was knocked down recently and the field behind it has been fenced off.
    A foundation has been laid but its hard to figure out what is going to be built on it.
    Over the bridge near the the Fethard road roundabout there is another small field fenced off and a new foundation laid.

I was told the land where the cottage stood belongs to the railway.

Advertisement