Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

nowayjosie wrote: »
    The parking is free alright but the Showgrounds has not got the same variety as the town centre. People go to the town centre for shopping in the likes of Boots, Penny's, Connolly Man or the other mens shops plus the variety of cafes and hairdressers and barbers the town centre has to offer. Showgrounds could never compare to the town centre. In comparison to the town centre that shopping centre is sadly lacking you couldn't swing a cat in M&S there is at least one great shoe shop and one or two women's and men's shops and a cafe and two fast food restaurants and not much more to it really. The parking in the town centre is a huge issue which urgently needs looking at as it curtails foot fall, to the detriment of this lovely town the powers that be have never sat down and sorted it out.
    disagree

alexmcred wrote: »
    But that's the whole point of what our councillors are suppose to be doing instead of feathering their own nests and tied up in their own pet projects.

To be honest The biggest problem I see in Clonmel is the complete lack of leadership in the council they keep their heads down and then come a knocking for votes for the local elections. The lack of new blood in local politics is also another factor in it.
    why do you not get involved , run for election and change it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Departed wrote: »
    wrong
    disagree

Any chance you'd develop your one-word answers into more informative messages?

Any chance you'd develop your one-word answers into more informative messages?
    why? the word wrong can be check ed by going to showgrounds. the word disagree is self explanatory, I disagree wth the highlighted section of the quoted statement

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭nowayjosie

why? the word wrong can be check ed by going to showgrounds. the word disagree is self explanatory, I disagree wth the highlighted section of the quoted statement

Why don’t you run for election yourself instead of asking the other poster get elected and change things? Why are you so abrupt – boards.ie is a forum for discussion if you don’t like it log off.
    As for your one word answers – you come across as if your offended by the posters yet you’ve no suggestions yourself. Everyone else is making valid points maybe you don’t understand what boards.ie is about – it’s not about getting snotty with people if you don’t agree with what’s being said then articulate yourself I’m sure we will all understand if you string a few words into a sentence and there's no need to hi-light I'd say we'll figure out your answer:D. Also do you really think anyone will leave their home to go to Showgrounds to check your meaning of the word WRONG as you suggest they do?

• Advertisement

Why don’t you run for election yourself instead of asking the other poster get elected and change things?
    was merely suggesting it to him/her as he is complaining about the councillors. iam not and have no interest in beingon the council
    Why are you so abrupt – boards.ie is a forum for discussion if you don’t like it log off.
    you are a mod?
    As for your one word answers – you come across as if your offended by the posters yet you’ve no suggestions yourself. Everyone else is making valid points maybe you don’t understand what boards.ie is about – it’s not about getting snotty with people if you don’t agree with what’s being said then articulate yourself I’m sure we will all understand if you string a few words into a sentence and there's no need to hi-light I'd say we'll figure out your answer:D. Also do you really think anyone will leave their home to go to Showgrounds to check your meaning of the word WRONG as you suggest they do?
    you are the one getting snotty cos you seem to have some dislike of the showgrounds.the meaning of wrong is obvious there are at least two empty shops at showgrounds. i never suggested anyone go there. And i do not have to dance to your tune, if you do not like that you log off
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

why do you not get involved , run for election and change it?

I would love to but wouldn't know where to start to be honest.

The ultimate thing that is stopping me is the hours I work would make it near impossible to do so. I would like and indeed support any candidate that puts themselves forward for election who principles I'd agree with.

In my opinion people working get a very raw deal from the council at the minute as well as people living in private estates with regards to the services they don't receive such as the council taking control of the estates grass cutting on the estates etc. i.e. councillors working for everyone that elected them. Of course that would require funding and again I can see funding dropping rather than increasing so surely it would make sense to cut what ever waste we can out of the system to try and preserve what services are there this includes reducing number of councillors and what ever payments they receive.

With regards to the Showgrounds I'd say it's not even at 50% capacity for the stores it can take. I'd love to see it full along with the town centre but alas with the current climate I can't see that happening indeed I'd unfortunately say it's going to be the opposite.

was merely suggesting it to him/her as he is complaining about the councillors. iam not and have no interest in beingon the council

you are a mod?

you are the one getting snotty cos you seem to have some dislike of the showgrounds.the meaning of wrong is obvious there are at least two empty shops at showgrounds. i never suggested anyone go there. And i do not have to dance to your tune, if you do not like that you log off
    :rolleyes:

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

The ultimate thing that is stopping me is the hours I work would make it near impossible to do so. I would like and indeed support any candidate that puts themselves forward for election who principles I'd agree with.

In my opinion people working get a very raw deal from the council at the minute as well as people living in private estates with regards to the services they don't receive such as the council taking control of the estates grass cutting on the estates etc. i.e. councillors working for everyone that elected them. Of course that would require funding and again I can see funding dropping rather than increasing so surely it would make sense to cut what ever waste we can out of the system to try and preserve what services are there this includes reducing number of councillors and what ever payments they receive.

With regards to the Showgrounds I'd say it's not even at 50% capacity for the stores it can take. I'd love to see it full along with the town centre but alas with the current climate I can't see that happening indeed I'd unfortunately say it's going to be the opposite.

Just to clarify it was a serious suggestion not a smart answer. Could you not start by joining or supporting whatever party has policies you agree with. i fyou are interested I am sure they would welcome you even as a behind the scenes person if you did not want to run for election

i don't think the council cut the grasss anywhere now do they?But isn't the household charge going towards local servces so maybe they will?

I don't know what you mean by councillors work ng for everyone, do youmean they do not represent some. There is a lot of space upstairs in the showgrounds and was there not talk of expansion a while ago

Just look at Ormonde Centre too its half empty - the only thing we can hope for is that this current climate will lift in the years to come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

The population of Clonmel is about 17,000.
    Yet we expect (and idiot developers have built) shopping precincts that are fit for a town three times the size.
    Plus Cork is now an hours drive, Waterford half an hour,Limerick one hour.

cml387 wrote: »
    Yet we expect (and idiot developers have built) shopping precincts that are fit for a town three times the size.

A lot of people travel to the said places, but I've heard that a lot of Kilkenny, Waterford & Cork people travel into Clonmel on a Saturday for shopping, how true is this - I don't know but if it is true then it has to be because of the new shops we've got in Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

cml387 wrote: »

2011 census says there is 88,433 living in South Tipperary not to mention the very near Waterford/Kilkenny borders. The town of clonmel is meant to serve much more than the 17k(I'm not suggesting all of them)

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/Prelim%20complete.pdf

I think one of the biggest problems the town has faced is a lack of development during the good times. The Arms site is a crying shame. If that was allowed to be developed at the time it would have brought new life into the area and the planned muti story car park would have helped ease the parking issue. On another note how bad the damage to the building was after the recent fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Just a note in relation to parking. I don't think many people are aware that at weekends the council open their carpark behind their offices - just opposite the swimming pool and library. There's a meter at the standard rate for parking there. I always park there on saturdays and it's rarely even half full. You see people doing laps of the swimming pool and superquinn carpark and ignoring it. And it's well signposted.

Are people not aware of this facility or just don't want to walk the extra few steps to the shops? Not being smart just genuinely want to know if people are aware of this car park.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Just a note in relation to parking. I don't think many people are aware that at weekends the council open their carpark behind their offices - just opposite the swimming pool and library. There's a meter at the standard rate for parking there. I always park there on saturdays and it's rarely even half full. You see people doing laps of the swimming pool and superquinn carpark and ignoring it. And it's well signposted.

Are people not aware of this facility or just don't want to walk the extra few steps to the shops? Not being smart just genuinely want to know if people are aware of this car park.

I think they are not aware of it - I was unaware of it till now, thanks for that info:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I think they are not aware of it - I was unaware of it till now, thanks for that info:D

No problem, just bugs me so much the way people in Clonmel are obsessed with parking. I was in town today and parked in St. Mary's car park behind the White Memorial theatre at half two - there was about 40 empty spaces. Walked through the old Tesco carpark towards Boots and queues and queues of cars going around it. I understand that some people have mobility issues or young children so need to park close to shops but that's the exception.

No problem, just bugs me so much the way people in Clonmel are obsessed with parking. I was in town today and parked in St. Mary's car park behind the White Memorial theatre at half two - there was about 40 empty spaces. Walked through the old Tesco carpark towards Boots and queues and queues of cars going around it. I understand that some people have mobility issues or young children so need to park close to shops but that's the exception.

Your right people don't want to walk at all - I don't know how many times I have heard the following "I'm not parking in Oakville and walking right across town" to get to Irish Town - now I'm talking about people in their prime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

A lot of people travel to the said places, but I've heard that a lot of Kilkenny, Waterford & Cork people travel into Clonmel on a Saturday for shopping, how true is this - I don't know but if it is true then it has to be because of the new shops we've got in Clonmel

This is true. I live in Kilkenny and I know a lot of people from Waterford and Kilkenny who go up to Clonmel for shopping. Have done so myself a good few times in the short time I've been living in Kilkenny

This is true. I live in Kilkenny and I know a lot of people from Waterford and Kilkenny who go up to Clonmel for shopping. Have done so myself a good few times in the short time I've been living in Kilkenny

And what do you think of shopping in Clonmel? and how do you rate finding a place to park?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

On a seperate topic how come cafe in railway station is now closed on saturdays ( well the last 2 anyway). was up there for a bus today and again back to the old problem no toilet facilities as cafe was closed, after all the campagining to get it open plus the leasee stated in local paper that it would be open mon-sat, didnt take long to change that, shame you cant get toilet facilities in 2012 in a railway station.

• Advertisement

Royco wrote: »
    On a seperate topic how come cafe in railway station is now closed on saturdays ( well the last 2 anyway). was up there for a bus today and again back to the old problem no toilet facilities as cafe was closed, after all the campagining to get it open plus the leasee stated in local paper that it would be open mon-sat, didnt take long to change that, shame you cant get toilet facilities in 2012 in a railway station.

Shame is right you wouldn't see it anywhere, it must be closed because of lack of custom? I haven't been in it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

And what do you think of shopping in Clonmel? and how do you rate finding a place to park?

It's great. Biggest advantage is m&s and the huge dunnes. Clonmel has a lot of shops that other plaves don't

It's great. Biggest advantage is m&s and the huge dunnes. Clonmel has a lot of shops that other plaves don't

The Dunnes on Waterford road is excellent I love it and when I've money to spend on myself I love the shoe shop in Showgrounds and of late a huge Sam McAuleys chemist and of course I love Clonmel town centre. Hopefully landlords will drop their high rents and we'll see O'Connell Street full of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SeekingWork

Hello everyone,
    This is my first time on Boards.ie - I am currently seeking Secretarial / Administrative work in Clonmel or surrounding area's. Do you think employers check out Boards.ie for would be employee's? I have checked the Jobs Posted by Employers but none are for the Clonmel area - so I thought I'd try this thread. I know there are not a lot of jobs on offer at the moment and I have tried FAS and checked the newspapers and sent CV's to Box No's but so far I've not been lucky. Any advice?

Hello everyone,
    This is my first time on Boards.ie - I am currently seeking Secretarial / Administrative work in Clonmel or surrounding area's. Do you think employers check out Boards.ie for would be employee's? I have checked the Jobs Posted by Employers but none are for the Clonmel area - so I thought I'd try this thread. I know there are not a lot of jobs on offer at the moment and I have tried FAS and checked the newspapers and sent CV's to Box No's but so far I've not been lucky. Any advice?

I would love to be able to give you a bit of advice but I can't I'm hoping some of the more knowledgeable posters on this thread will advise you or hopefully some employers will spot you on boards.ie best wishes in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭touts

Well car parks like St Mary's and the Council one mentioned earlier are like best kept secrets. People don't use them because people don't know about them. The council should invest in a few signs to direct people to them. But then again if they did that then there wouldn't be as much of a sense of general parking chaos around the town making it less likely that any new carparks would be built and the investors in the Arms multistory car park wouldn't be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

People want to park as close to shops as possible look at Tecos how many people park in disabled spaces just to be close as possible indeed some would park in the shop if they could. Some people are lazy others ignorant (parking in disabled spaces) and some have genuine reasons for wanting to park as close as possible to the centre of town.

For me I hate parking in town so walk in as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I don't know why anyone from Cork city and its environs would go to Clonmel for shopping. It makes no sense at all.

Amtmann wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone from Cork city and its environs would go to Clonmel for shopping. It makes no sense at all.

I know - Cork is brilliant for shopping and I love going, but I heard Cork shoppers come to Clonmel - I suppose you see its a lovely friendly town and maybe they've friends / relatives living in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I see the old slatterys/visionstores building has been sold. Anyone know what going in there. " I heard Argos are comin :)

Advertisement