Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

19 Mary street is the address of the Four Seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

It was open last night when I drove past (wed night), The interior was repainted. I've a feeling they close every tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

19 Mary street is the address of the Four Seasons

Well then they have just rebranded as Mary 19. Asian Food. Open Monday to Sunday according to leaflet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Great to see Costa Coffee opening its doors in the Poppyfields. Hardly surprising that its not mentioned here though as we don't really like good news stories in these parts. And the Chinese in Mary Street. Closed on Tuesdays recently re-painted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Costa was mentioned a few pages back. We love good news :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Great to see Costa Coffee opening its doors in the Poppyfields. Hardly surprising that its not mentioned here though as we don't really like good news stories in these parts. And the Chinese in Mary Street. Closed on Tuesdays recently re-painted.

I love all good news about Clonmel posted here. I'm not in the county as much any more so this thread is excellent to keep up with (outside of info from family/friends).

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bobster453

Hi All its that time of year again

Be wary..there are members of the travelling community going around town with cards for money for people who need it...no charity name..no permit number..only a mobile number

Seems likely it is a scam as i asked to see their permit and they ran away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

bobster453 wrote: »
    Hi All its that time of year again

Be wary..there are members of the travelling community going around town with cards for money for people who need it...no charity name..no permit number..only a mobile number

Seems likely it is a scam as i asked to see their permit and they ran away

Careful now. The PC brigade will be along to say how do you know what cultural grouping they come from even if it was obvious. Common scam though and people should only donate if they are 100% satisfied it is a genuine collection. If not walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Welcome to the news from three weeks ago;)

tippspur wrote: »
    Welcome to the news from three weeks ago;)

I am sure if a store was closing it would have attracted a lot more comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Expunge

Maybe it's the fact that it's (yet) another Coffee Shop opening and not, say, a Strip Club, Fabrege retail store or professional sports franchise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

mr price opened up near tesco , place looks great with top prices , wonder how long it will last though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,427 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

pudzey101 wrote: »
    mr price opened up near tesco , place looks great with top prices , wonder how long it will last though

Is it down by Supermacs there? Awful location if so. Rent obviously far cheaper but not being within walking distance of the town is a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Not a terrible location either. For rural people like me, who might come into town just to do a shop in Tesco and out again, it's handy to have a place like Mr Price where it is. No need to drive into town just to pick up a poundshoppy type of thing.

I was in there and loved it. I like that you have the poundshoppy stuff + a few branded items. The stationary department and party supplies are brilliant.

I'll probably end up shopping in Tesco more simply because I can pop in to Mr Price before or after.

pudzey101 wrote: »

Closing it before it even gets going......by the way don't know how it can be considered a "terrible location".

callaway92 wrote: »
    Is it down by Supermacs there? Awful location if so. Rent obviously far cheaper but not being within walking distance of the town is a killer.

Id imagine they will draw their customers from those visiting Tesco and Supermacs which would be quite a few. Town rates are killing businesses. There was a couple of business owners in Tipp town complaining about the rates hike recently and too right. It is quite sad to see market place very ghost town like today. Hopefully the powers that be come to their senses and reduce rates and get businesses and jobs back in what used be an epicentre in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Id imagine they will draw their customers from those visiting Tesco and Supermacs which would be quite a few. Town rates are killing businesses. There was a couple of business owners in Tipp town complaining about the rates hike recently and too right. It is quite sad to see market place very ghost town like today. Hopefully the powers that be come to their senses and reduce rates and get businesses and jobs back in what used be an epicentre in town.

And Chadwicks, the biggest builder providers in Tipperary are only across the road from Tesco!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Pound shops are a big hit with kids,I think having it by supermacs is a great idea.

Xenophile wrote: »
    And Chadwicks, the biggest builder providers in Tipperary are only across the road from Tesco!

True, Flancare, Chadwicks, and many Fethard Rd estates are in the vicinity. Ive been in the Carlow Mr Price and they are the type of place you would probably buy a good bit in one go. Not so much a pound shop but a discount shop and with parking prices in towns it probably would lend itself better to people in cars that can avail of a free car parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,427 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not a terrible location either. For rural people like me, who might come into town just to do a shop in Tesco and out again, it's handy to have a place like Mr Price where it is. No need to drive into town just to pick up a poundshoppy type of thing.

I was in there and loved it. I like that you have the poundshoppy stuff + a few branded items. The stationary department and party supplies are brilliant.

I'll probably end up shopping in Tesco more simply because I can pop in to Mr Price before or after.

Just don't see how the positives outweigh the negatives being located out there. Hoping for the best for them but just hate where it is. I wouldn't bother going there anyway. Poppyfields would be an ideal spot too imo.

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Just don't see how the positives outweigh the negatives being located out there. Hoping for the best for them but just hate where it is. I wouldn't bother going there anyway. Poppyfields would be an ideal spot too imo.

I'm French and back there, these clusters of shops around a larger supermarket are the norm. They are great ! Parking is never an issue, prices are more competitive than in town, choice and stock are usually much better too since storage and shop floor space are larger, even the shopping experience is improved since you don't have to squash yourself in a small space with goods and other shoppers. When a first shop thrives it attracts others, and before you know it you have a fine selection of complementing shops. I know town retailers might not like it, but from a customer's point of view it has a great advantage.
    A lot of French town centres are still doing well, and for those that initially crash, they learn to reinvent themselves : craftier, OOAK gift shops, fresh food shops, cafes, restaurants, tourist shops, tobbacconists, newsagents... they all still have a part to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Expunge

Very good point Mountainsandh but but but..... the planning laws and planning behaviour of French regional authorities would seem to be a world away from what passes for planning here.

Par example, When I have been to a Super U or Le Clerc at the edge of a regional town in Brittany or the Vendee, they cannot keep the same trading hours as in Ireland. They do not trade till 10 or 11 pm. They close at 1 pm on Sundays. Am I right?

Can they sell newspapers, lottery and tobacco, as they do here or is that only permitted in the Tobacco shop?

Those things seem to be the crucial difference between the European experience and the Anglo-American way of trading that we seem to be caught up in. There are restrictions in hours and in what the giant stores can sell.

Here in Ireland, Tesco sell almost fecking everything and you have the situation now in Clonmel where so called convenience stores like McDermotts in Irishtown or Food Fair on Parnell Street are closed at 9 pm and Aldi, Lidl and Tesco are still open for business.

I'm French and back there

Well done on a comprehensive post!

Just wondering if you will be staying in France or returning to Ireland ?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Read that quote again and I think you'll see that they are here in Ireland not in France :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

was in Costa Coffee at the poppyfields today, and the place was buzzin.

Also went to Mr. Price yesterday.
    hard to describe it, its like a cross between Dealz and a poundshop.
    Nice, and very busy.
    I like Dealz in Clonmel, but its too small.

Ireland is home now Xenophile, I meant back over there in France :)

Expunge as far as I know, and in my experience, in France, the hardest bits to get in small supermarkets and their clusters or even their own mini "malls", are cigarettes and medication. (Prescription) Supermarkets are never allowed to sell these.
    The law must be intricate enough, because I seem to happen upon places that have a chemist and tobacconist in the "mall" (you know, big hallway sort of thing attached to supermarket) a lot more often these days. We go back every year in a camper, so these are our stock up points, every where and anywhere there.

But there are often tobacconists cafes at random spots on the road so they don't necessarily bring business to town centres specifically.

Currently big supermarkets cannot open on Sundays and close around 7pm (bar special days exemptions). There is an on going debate about this.

I don't think people always go to town centres to find things they can't find elsewhere though. I think there is an atmosphere and a bit of excitement to strolling in the town centre, that people enjoy. If you make it exciting enough, people will come. Clonmel's town centre has a lovely feel to it like that already imo.

Edit : it's an awful shame small boutiques/ miscellaneous shops are not supported or encouraged more in town centres, they help in making the place exciting and interesting. Ie : music shops, book shops, crafts, presents, tourist shops...

tinyk68 wrote: »
    Read that quote again and I think you'll see that they are here in Ireland not in France :rolleyes:

At least I got a polite reply from Mountainsandh...................?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Anyone here feel Clonmel could improve on nite life in the town? Don't get me wrong, there are some lovely pub's in Clonmel,but we are lacking in choice of late bars. At one stage there were about four or five nightclubs /latebars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

See the lovely towpath walk between Carrick and Kilsheelan is under water in places (could all be under water but could only see parts from the road), wonder will there be much left of all the fine work that was underway in the recent past, when the river subsides?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

btb wrote: »
    See the lovely towpath walk between Carrick and Kilsheelan is under water in places (could all be under water but could only see parts from the road), wonder will there be much left of all the fine work that was underway in the recent past, when the river subsides?

Its under water from the Gas House Bridge in Clonmel, God only knows what state it will be in when it all subsides. It would be a lovely feature to have by the river but might become too expensive to upkeep.

And yes to Maymack, we could do with a few more night spots in Clonmel. A few civilised places, where all ages could go, and not all emptying at the same time - I don't want to come across someone vomiting their Subway roll and booze all over the place.

Advertisement