Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭perry123

Maymack wrote: »
    Great news to see Mr Price opening soon, creating new jobs & filling a building that was lying idle for years.
    On the other hand,very sad news for staff in SuperValu market place losing their jobs so close to Christmas. Hopefully some of the staff will get an opportunity to work in SuperValu poppyfields.
    Market place is gone down the drain.
    That area used to be buzzing. Its shame that its been left fall apart. Feel sorry for the business left there. The landlords don't seem to care about it or its tenants. A lick of paint on the outside isn't going to attract new tenants. I think the whole area needs to get redeveloped. Build an indoor shopping centre or roof the area that's open. Some of the units could be combined to attract larger shops. I hope the council & the landlord wake up & do something before its all gone.
    where exactly is it? near tesco on bypass? what approach road to tesco?

prices were always too high in superquinn. most items had 20 or 30 cent on dunnes/tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Mr Price going into old Glanbia building behind Teagasc. Visible from bypass, entry past Supermac's. Must have been empty since early 00's bar Furniture store for a while and the Lidl weekend sale a couple of years ago

btb wrote: »
    Mr Price going into old Glanbia building behind Teagasc. Visible from bypass, entry past Supermac's. Must have been empty since early 00's bar Furniture store for a while and the Lidl weekend sale a couple of years ago
    Thanks, I know where you mean now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I see the Coast Guard helicopter is in town...hopefully they find the missing teenager safe and well !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Is there 1 or 2 of them? Saw 1 land but didn't see it take off again and there is now one flying around the last half hour. I thought it was waiting to land. I could be mistaken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I only saw one, it is flying very close to the ground, there is a guy looking out of it, seems to be doing a very thorough search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Yeah , was thinking there was a guy hanging out of it. Must have been just the one so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

maximo31 wrote: »
    Yeah , was thinking there was a guy hanging out of it. Must have been just the one so.

One was the Garda Helicopter

Xenophile wrote: »
    Knock it down and make a car park out of it, a few good coffee shops in the area would benefit, I can think of 5 within a three minutes walk.

More car parking space needed for, Post Office, swimming pool, library, and Council offices and band hall and of course a very good Museum.

Bad idea first day to give planning permission for a supermarket at that location, with no facility for deliveries etc. So maybe widen that street which goes out to Kickham Street.

I think a good case could be made for a compulsory purchase order as Super Value are now very close to being Ireland's number one retailer!

How may cars do you reckon would fit in super value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

How may cars do you reckon would fit in super value?

I regret to say I do not know, maybe some engineer on the site could give us some idea.

But I do know that we are shopped out in this area of the town.

As an option, I would like to see the Council consider putting a skate board Plaza there, I am aware of the many difficulties this would create. But we cannot go on moaning and groaning about our youth without considering their needs and how we can help them! Of course this would entail a good deal of thinking outside the box!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

I regret to say I do not know, maybe some engineer on the site could give us some idea.

As an option, I would like to see the Council consider putting a skate board Plaza there, I am aware of the many difficulties this would create. But we cannot go on moaning and groaning about our youth without considering their needs and how we can help them! Of course this would entail a good deal of thinking outside the box!
    You're thinking of the goths outside the library sometimes.

Why don't you put that in a submission to the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Even an indoor skate rink/community youth group premises would be a great way to occupy the space. I've a little nephew back in France who frequented such a place for a while, the ramps etc... all wooden structures, there was a room for skates, one for scooters, and one for roller skates. You had to register and pay a fee (affordable) yearly or per session. They had gutted an old town house and its garage, small enough space but thoroughly utilized.
    There were rules to wear protective gear etc. It was brilliant to see older, burly and heavily tattooed skaters cohabiting with mini Justin Biebers, my sister loved knowing her son spent his free afternoons there, rather than not knowing his whereabouts.

Don't know exactly but I think it was a partly private partly community based initiative.

perry123 wrote: »
    Why don't you put that in a submission to the council?

Seamus Martin, the campaign manager for Alan Kelly's election campaign will bring the suggestion to Alan Kelly's attention, Kelly who is Minister For The Environment, has responsibility for all County Councils, will be attending at meeting being held in Clonmel this evening!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Seamus Martin, the campaign manager for Alan Kelly's election campaign will bring the suggestion to Alan Kelly's attention, Kelly who is Minister For The Environment, has responsibility for all County Councils, will be attending at meeting being held in Clonmel this evening!

What meeting is this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Just the last bit on rates in Market Place the SuperValu store is rated at 1326.88 and the council then have a multiplier of around 56 so the rates payable are €74,305.28.

A shop on Gladstone street attracts a rateable value of 95.23 * 56 so 5332.88 in rates

A shop in Market Place attracts a rateable value of 171.41 * 56 so 9598.96 in rates

While the Council has no power to change the rateable value they can alter the multiplier which they are steadfastly refusing to do.

Vizzy wrote: »
    What meeting is this ?

The subject of the meeting is "The Living Wage". Cannot tell you if it's a Public Meeting or a Labour Party Meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

the poster says everyone welcome

snipey wrote: »
    the poster says everyone welcome

Thanks, if you have the details maybe you might put them up here, I am out of town at present myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bobster453

The subject of the meeting is "The Living Wage". Cannot tell you if it's a Public Meeting or a Labour Party Meeting.

Just curious did he need/get planning permission for all those giant posters blowing around and littering the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bobster453

Bit disgusted with Alan Kelly holding a meeting in Clonmel now when he ran scared from Vincent Brown a few weeks ago and allowed his opponents gain moral high ground

BTW Towards a Living Wage does that mean he accepts the policies of the govt he is a member of have led to people not getting a living wage..interesting choice of topic name..must be a general election coming up :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think it's ironic he wants fight for a living wage. You know to cover the cost of things like water charges, usc, property tax, bin charges, TD expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

bobster453 wrote: »
    Just curious did he need/get planning permission for all those giant posters blowing around and littering the town?

It's a stunt to in effect get his election posters up early. "That's not an election poster its advertising a meeting". I suspect the election commission may have a thig or two to say about it but that won't happen until after the election at this point so whatever happens he won't care. I'd expect several other candidates will follow suit in the build up to the election.

touts wrote: »
    It's a stunt to in effect get his election posters up early. "That's not an election poster its advertising a meeting". I suspect the election commission may have a thig or two to say about it but that won't happen until after the election at this point so whatever happens he won't care. I'd expect several other candidates will follow suit in the build up to the election.

They're up all over Dublin, advertising meetings for community causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

bobster453 wrote: »
    Bit disgusted with Alan Kelly holding a meeting in Clonmel now when he ran scared from Vincent Brown a few weeks ago and allowed his opponents gain moral high ground

BTW Towards a Living Wage does that mean he accepts the policies of the govt he is a member of have led to people not getting a living wage..interesting choice of topic name..must be a general election coming up :)
    True,he wasn't man enough to face the people of Tipperary on the Vinny Brown debate show,Kelly is a spoofer of the highest order.

Thanks, if you have the details maybe you might put them up here, I am out of town at present myself.
    if you are spokesman for kelly you should declare it. you spend all your time promoting him here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

tippspur wrote: »
    True,he wasn't man enough to face the people of Tipperary on the Vinny Brown debate show,Kelly is a spoofer of the highest order.

Spoofer indeed he wasn't man enough to face them today either Lorraine Higgins was sent. He is an out and out cowardly bastrd

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

74K in rates lost at Supervalue. Something the customer actually pays. I remember when the Poppyfields was just that Poppyfields perhaps it wil all be a park one day ( or halting site)!!!!

• Advertisement

perry123 wrote: »
    if you are spokesman for kelly you should declare it. you spend all your time promoting him here

Why? If I were a spokesman for him why should I declare it?

Advertisement