Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

Had to go into town today. Traffic was chaotic. Had a look down the Quay. The water was almost at the top of the defence wall. I shudder to think of how things would be if the wall wasn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭EternalHope

iceage wrote: »
    There was nobody in the house at the time of the fire.. Except a cat, which didn't survive.
    thanks for reply,that is sick about the cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭EternalHope

snipey wrote: »
    night for the pub
    lican

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

lican

not getting that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

Had to go into town today. Traffic was chaotic. Had a look down the Quay. The water was almost at the top of the defence wall. I shudder to think of how things would be if the wall wasn't there.

It was over the wall later on in the day..Extra barrier had been put up...I saw down at Sir Thomas bridge,the water was so near the castle..I have seen many floods there,I have never seen it so near the castle,but when it cant come out on the quay,it has to go somewhere..It just goes to show the power of nature

• Advertisement

It was over the wall later on in the day..Extra barrier had been put up...I saw down at Sir Thomas bridge,the water was so near the castle..I have seen many floods there,I have never seen it so near the castle,but when it cant come out on the quay,it has to go somewhere..It just goes to show the power of nature

It sure does. Beautiful, but cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I never knew flooding was a spectator sport, was stuck in slow traffic around parnell st, dr croke place area, when i finally got to the Gashouse bridge, i could see what was the issue, gawkers abandoning cars on double yellows to have a peek at the water. already a few bridges closed in town, might be a good idea to keep this one clear folks

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Took me an hour to get from N76 roundabout to Bulmer earlier this afternoon. From what I could see it was just from people ignoring the traffic light signals, although sequences set very short meaning traffic was still meeting g each other in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Took me an hour to get from N76 roundabout to Bulmer earlier this afternoon. From what I could see it was just from people ignoring the traffic light signals, although sequences set very short meaning traffic was still meeting g each other in the middle

Have to agree with this, I drove to Clonmel from Kilsheelan earlier in the day and have to agree, loads of vehicles ignored the lights when they went red.

But it has to be said, the duration on green allowed about 4 vehicles to cross over at the pace allowed by the high water.

Even so, I,m not complaining things could be a lot worse. loads of people in big trouble with houses fooded etc. so anyone not affected, count your blessings and be grateful.

Reading reports on various news sites online,that say a man has died following a house fire in Kilmacomma..Nothing on the tipp fm news site,nothing on news at two...

• Advertisement

Reading reports on various news sites online,that say a man has died following a house fire in Kilmacomma..Nothing on the tipp fm news site,nothing on news at two...

RTE News has this:

"Man dies in house fire
    A man has died following a house fire just outside Clonmel in the early hours of this morning.
    Gardaí in Co Tipperary are investigating the fire which happened in the Kilmacomma area around four o'clock this morning."

May he Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I went to town this morning, went via Nire road, the diversion sign was still in place. The road is fine, there was a sign "road closed" on the Clonmel direction at the turn to Powers the Pot, but I kept on going towards Clonmel, and everybody was doing same. There were a few men working at clearing the road on the stretch of the tall trees "tunnel".

I have to agree, the gawkers are out in force, and it's really annoying when you want to get from A to B. Some people will just dramatically slow to a crawl when they see a little stream gone heavy on the side of the road !
    I was fit to kill someone by the time I got home, aaaaages later than I should have been.

I went to town this morning, went via Nire road, the diversion sign was still in place. The road is fine, there was a sign "road closed" on the Clonmel direction at the turn to Powers the Pot, but I kept on going towards Clonmel, and everybody was doing same. There were a few men working at clearing the road on the stretch of the tall trees "tunnel".

I have to agree, the gawkers are out in force, and it's really annoying when you want to get from A to B. Some people will just dramatically slow to a crawl when they see a little stream gone heavy on the side of the road !
    I was fit to kill someone by the time I got home, aaaaages later than I should have been.

Ahhhh. Take a deep breath and count slowly to 10. Shur, the poor things are deprived of any excitement.
    Happy New Year!

Happy New year ! All relaxed now with a drink. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Happy New year ! All relaxed now with a drink. ☺

Glad to see that you are relaxed. At least the people had something interesting to observe!

God help you if you are trying to make a flight at Dublin Airport and you are held up by "rubbernecking" on the M50.

Happy New Year ! Are you enjoying a good bottle of French Wine ?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Hope that drone operator is licensed.

I took the high road from old bridge across to the the dungarvan road late this evening just before dark. It's to avoid around where the apple green is flooded. It took about 30mins for the 2 or 3 km. it is fairly potholed and the surface is covered in mud in parts. But the main problem is negotiation with other drivers. One lady in a merc 4x4 just steamed straight ahead of a bunch of us taking our turn. I decided to go home via the Nire.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Glad to see that you are relaxed. At least the people had something interesting to observe!

God help you if you are trying to make a flight at Dublin Airport and you are held up by "rubbernecking" on the M50.

Happy New Year ! Are you enjoying a good bottle of French Wine ?

Ah stop ! I can't handle Dublin, rural Ireland has me spoiled. Somewhere along the way I turned into a culchie, from growing up in a big town ! French Clairette on a festive night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

The council are going door to door in many areas tonight warning people to be prepared to be evacuated. http://bit.ly/1R2aFH5

Officially it is because they expect more rain and the flood is already high but there is no real risk. However I've heard the flood defences failed around houses down by Sir Thomas's bridge (near ferryhouse) and the houses were flooded today. The council are terrified about huge legal action if more barriers fail so the evacuation "warning" included various legal documents tonight that house holders were required to sign if they want to be included in any evacuation by the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

touts wrote: »
    The council are going door to door in many areas tonight warning people to be prepared to be evacuated. http://bit.ly/1R2aFH5

Officially it is because they expect more rain and the flood is already high but there is no real risk. However I've heard the flood defences failed around houses down by Sir Thomas's bridge (near ferryhouse) and the houses were flooded today. The council are terrified about huge legal action if more barriers fail so the evacuation "warning" included various legal documents tonight that house holders were required to sign if they want to be included in any evacuation by the council.

This I can assure you is absolute rubbish. Legal documents??? Are you kidding me? A leaflet was delivered advising people to be ready and prepared should the flood defences fail in a one in fifty year occurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

This I can assure you is absolute rubbish. Legal documents??? Are you kidding me? A leaflet was delivered advising people to be ready and prepared should the flood defences fail in a one in fifty year occurrence.

Thank you for this post. The level of ****e that's spread in times like this is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

Well I'm told that the council asked people to sign documents. But I'm not living there so didn't get the documents and if you are in a position to clarify the council's position then I'll accept that. Can you confirm if the houses at Sir Thomas's bridge were flooded?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

I passed there today and there was a flood on the road outside the scrap yard but it did'nt look like the houses were flooded

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

Flood defences don't go down as far as Ferryhouse bridge anyway.
    The berms don't go as far as the breaker's yard afaik.

Though the volume of water going through the town has to end up somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

touts wrote: »
    Well I'm told that the council asked people to sign documents. But I'm not living there so didn't get the documents and if you are in a position to clarify the council's position then I'll accept that. Can you confirm if the houses at Sir Thomas's bridge were flooded?

Yes 2 properties were unfortunately flooded there. The families are being assisted by the agencies involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

cml387 wrote: »
    Flood defences don't go down as far as Ferryhouse bridge anyway.
    The berms don't go as far as the breaker's yard afaik.

Though the volume of water going through the town has to end up somewhere.

Not so sure about that to be honest. I remember a lot of work going on in that area during of the flood defence project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I haven't been out today but how's the height of the water at the Gas House Bridge? I live 200 metres from the river and I'm terrified it will flood near the car detailing place and run down the road towards my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Water is down about 1 foot from yesterday at Gashouse Bridge. It is now below the level of the quay wall. Most of the flooded roads are still flooded though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Vizzy wrote: »
    Water is down about 1 foot from yesterday at Gashouse Bridge. It is now below the level of the quay wall. Most of the flooded roads are still flooded though.

Thanks for that, very relieved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

the volume of water going through the town has to end up somewhere.

Flood defenses 101 vs Economics 101

Advertisement