Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

hope you find the cat - good idea for pet owners to keep animals secure for the next few days as fireworks can send them running scared - happens every year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Link to pdf of the final project for the old barracks.

http://www.tipperarycoco.ie/sites/default/files/Kickham%20Barracks%20Masterplan-%20Final%20Adopted.pdf

It looks like a lot of thought and work has gone into this, and the project looks great imo.

Haven't had time to look at it in detail (it's a long document) but my only question mark would be over the lack of commercial outlets there. I could be wrong, I did see some pics of restaurants in other places they probably intend to emulate, but I think it's absolutely essential to have basic shops/food and drink premises in an area like that to keep it alive, and I haven't spotted any obvious catering premises spot ? They have a pic of a pop open Illy coffee shop in a container ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Churpy

Hi All

I'm a newbie to Clonmel, looking for a recommendation for a hairdressers. I get my hair cut and coloured(blonde) every 5 weeks. I've had the same hairdresser for years and am very picky about who does my hair, due to some previous disasters haha. I'd also like the price to be reasonable, usually costs me 65 for cut, colour and blowdry which is a very good deal (Perks of being longtime customer)

Would really appreciate your recommendations 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Churpy wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm a newbie to Clonmel, looking for a recommendation for a hairdressers. I get my hair cut and coloured(blonde) every 5 weeks. I've had the same hairdresser for years and am very picky about who does my hair, due to some previous disasters haha. I'd also like the price to be reasonable, usually costs me 65 for cut, colour and blowdry which is a very good deal (Perks of being longtime customer)

Can I ask you your age?

I go to Annies Salon in Queen Street (opposite Lyons'), lovely place, lovely people, but the clientele would be at the older end of the scale (though I'm not I hasten to add) - but hairdressers very proficient and its not expensive.

Lloyds in Sarsfield Street is very good as well, but much more expensive. You pay for the ambience in Lloyds.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Churpy

Can I ask you your age?

I go to Annies Salon in Queen Street (opposite Lyons'), lovely place, lovely people, but the clientele would be at the older end of the scale (though I'm not I hasten to add) - but hairdressers very proficient and its not expensive.

Lloyds in Sarsfield Street is very good as well, but much more expensive. You pay for the ambience in Lloyds.

Hope that helps.

I'm 27. Thanks very much for your response I'll have a look into both of those. I don't mind paying extra for the right hair stylist :)

• Advertisement

I'm 27. Thanks very much for your response I'll have a look into both of those. I don't mind paying extra for the right hair stylist :)

Lloyds would suit you better I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Liz Hennessys hair salon up the pedestrian lane beside McDonalds is excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

It looks like a lot of thought and work has gone into this, and the project looks great imo.

Very far fetched with there comparisons of Grand Place in Brussels and the main sq in Munich, Grand Place you just cannot purposely build something like that in the modern day, In Munich beside that sq there is a big shopping district I recall a place there that had a shopping centre with something like 7 floors in it a dozens of shops. This is Clonmel dunno where there gonna whip the people outta it's a vision is all the reality is a culture centre area will just be like any college courtyard where students go smoking between classes.

Very far fetched with there comparisons of Grand Place in Brussels and the main sq in Munich, Grand Place you just cannot purposely build something like that in the modern day, In Munich beside that sq there is a big shopping district I recall a place there that had a shopping centre with something like 7 floors in it a dozens of shops. This is Clonmel dunno where there gonna whip the people outta it's a vision is all the reality is a culture centre area will just be like any college courtyard where students go smoking between classes.

I think it's brilliant that they should get inspiration from other European, and some Irish places, at least it doesn't look like a half hearted attempt with poor design from the word Go. Regardless of the potential in Clonmel population wise, I think when you have a large blank canvas like that, and adequate budget, it's great to be ambitious. Who knows, with the right events (markets, festivals...) it might achieve what they are envisioning. Very much worth a try imo.

Should be lovely in the summer.
    I do hope they have a nice, terraced cafe there. I'd stop there for lunch in the sun after a spot of shopping in Showgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭naughtyfox

Hi All

Llyods are good, a little expensive.

I use Waterlily spa hairdressers in crann ard, 50euro for cut colour and blowdry and i have never had a problem with them.

• Advertisement

looks like facilities that can accommodate many people, I don't think that car park they have will be sufficient - is it the old IVI engines place they are taking there? looks like it. i don't see that site holding enough cars for parking. Also there is often traffic congestion at the entrance to the Showgrounds, and they want to put the entrance/exit to this new car park opposite there? i don't see that ending well.

There is a large and toll free car park literally a stones throw form the barracks at Raheen Court/Old Gas works area. I don't ever recall seeing it full.

There was talk of a theatre in this complex, the cultural building, which sounds like its penciled in for down the line (i.e. might never be built) is a three story building so thats hardly it - so sounds like its been dropped.

So my impression is that there is more work to do on this proposal.

Anybody know what is happening with all the fire engines racing up the Old Waterford Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

There is a large and toll free car park literally a stones throw form the barracks at Raheen Court/Old Gas works area. I don't ever recall seeing it full.
    l.

That car park is full most days with people parking and heading to work in town and during busy periods acts as an over flow for the showgrounds.

I haven't witness that to be the case at all myself, people tend to park in Dunnes carpark, up along the Davis road and all adjoining residential roads before venturing to that carpark when the Showgrounds carpark is full -

However, if this is the case, it further emphasises my point of having an adequate plan for parking in the area from this stage of the plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I haven't witness that to be the case at all myself, people tend to park in Dunnes carpark, up along the Davis road and all adjoining residential roads before venturing to that carpark when the Showgrounds carpark is full -

However, if this is the case, it further emphasises my point of having an adequate plan for parking in the area from this stage of the plans.
    I park daily in that car park and its always full. Mostly office and shop workers in the town centre.

Since the intent is to use it as a walk through area, I'm not sure it would need that much parking ? For exceptional events, people can walk in from surrounding car parks, or directly from town centre, as you would for a festival. Like Winterval in Waterford.

South Tipperary General Emergency Department to close temporarily on Sunday
    20 Nov, 2015
    The Emergency Department at South Tipperary General Hospital is set to close to patients for 6 hours this weekend.
    It's all part of construction works to increase capacity at the Clonmel based E.D which has by hit by serious overcrowding in recent years.
    The unit will be shut from 9 am until 3 pm this Sunday the 22nd however hospital management insists its business as usual in all other departments including Maternity.
    However the public are advised to contact Caredoc during the hours of the closure or attend the E.Ds in either Waterford or Kilkenny.
    http://tippfm.com/news/news_detail/south_tipp_ed_to_close_temporarily_on_sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Some empty shops down Parnell St have back projection screens running artistic videos (no,not that kind of artistic) adding tothe ambience of the town.
    Interesting idea, whose I wonder?

cml387 wrote: »
    Some empty shops down Parnell St have back projection screens running artistic videos (no,not that kind of artistic) adding tothe ambience of the town.
    Interesting idea, whose I wonder?

Its part of the Design Fest - run by a guy who has something to do with the Junction Festival I think. Anything that promotes the town is okay by me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Its part of the Design Fest - run by a guy who has something to do with the Junction Festival I think. Anything that promotes the town is okay by me

LIT appear to be heavily involved with it as well. As you said anything that promotes the town is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

any reviews on The Lava Rock in Cahir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Went a year ago when they opened first. Found it very over priced to be honest, nice but not €50(with no booze) a head nice. You'd be better going to Befanis in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Mr. Price are opening in the powerstown centre beside Tesco soon. Looking for 6 full time & 6 part time staff. Good see a building that has been empty for so long been put back to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Maymack wrote: »
    Mr. Price are opening in the powerstown centre beside Tesco soon. Looking for 6 full time & 6 part time staff. Good see a building that has been empty for so long been put back to use.

Was in the one in waterford a good few times. The store sells everything and anything its nuts what you might come out with and had no idea what you needed.

Great to see in clomnel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

snipey wrote: »
    any reviews on The Lava Rock in Cahir

I have to say (and I hate saying it since I'm friends with the owner) I've never had a meal there that I've found remotely good.

I've been there three times now and have had a 3-Course each time.

Have ranged from "Spicy" chicken wings which are not so spicy, moreso bland to steak to pasta to the gourmet burger. All have been poor for the prices.

I haven't had lunch there so can't comment on that.

LIT appear to be heavily involved with it as well. As you said anything that promotes the town is good.

Speak of whom, how is the ballingarrane development coming along? Has it been finished as of yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Speak of whom, how is the ballingarrane development coming along? Has it been finished as of yet?

Magnificent building,seems finished to me but I only ever see one car outside it, I guess the caretaker

cml387 wrote: »
    Magnificent building,seems finished to me but I only ever see one car outside it, I guess the caretaker

Lovely building but mostly empty - Clonmel Chamber have a few offices, not sure who else is there. Parking is round the back!

Is LIT - Tipp not planning on closing the bypass campus and moving there eventually? Or will they opt for a multi campus model around the town with the army barracks being the third campus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just wondering does anybody know when the Christmas lights are being switched on or are they switched on all ready?
    Thanks In advance!

Advertisement