Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

tippspur wrote: »
    The new call center will be up in Ard Gaoithe Business park lads.

Good news for the town, would imagine the roles are low paying though?

Same senior management as Intellicom also

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Good news for the town, would imagine the roles are low paying though?

No lower than the min wage and still better than the dole. Ideal for people looking to get back into the workforce and students looking for part time work and good news for the local economy in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

yeah right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

snipey wrote: »
    yeah right

Care to expand on that post? Do you think 200 jobs are bad for the town!!!

Care to expand on that post? Do you think 200 jobs are bad for the town!!!

There are some who will begrudge others getting on with life. They hate the thought of anyone earning a cent a week more than them. The knock on effect of employment in an area is greater than just the one wage. But this fact is lost on begrudgers.

• Advertisement

There are some who will begrudge others getting on with life. They hate the thought of anyone earning a cent a week more than them. The knock on effect of employment in an area is greater than just the one wage. But this fact is lost on begrudgers.

Absolutely true. Some people will moan no matter what. Those 200 jobs will support as much if not more jobs in other businesses around South Tipp and will only be of benefit to the local economy. Even better is the fact that they are doing the work for a foreign company so it's money coming into the country rather than out. Things are turning for the better regardless of what the naysayers would have us believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

Strolling in town on Saturday I notice a planning application for the old Slattery's/Boyds shop.
    Apparently the cinema want to extend and, given that it's listed,are going to preserve the 1930's facade as a new entrance.
    This seems like an excellent idea, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

heard the Arms was bought,I don't know who bought it or for what purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Be great to see this re-opening in some form, would it do good business if it re-opened as a hotel?

It used be called D'Arms for D'Arse, but it would be nice to see it open as a hotel or shopping centre, good for the centre of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bar/Nightclub going in there, stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Thought the Arms was bought years ago for a multistory car park or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

tippspur wrote: »
    Thought the Arms was bought years ago for a multistory car park or something like that.

It was but the planning was shot down and it never went ahead and I believe the company then went bust.

It would be nice to see it open again, I have some great memories of that place from when I worked there 20 years ago.

On a separate note, I see a local marlfield lad camped out at the side of the road just past the roundabout in marlfield.. Been there a few weeks now at this stage. Anyone know what's going on there? I'd hate to have to camp out in rain like we had the last few days..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Vizzy

On a separate note, I see a local marlfield lad camped out at the side of the road just past the roundabout in marlfield.. Been there a few weeks now at this stage. Anyone know what's going on there? I'd hate to have to camp out in rain like we had the last few days..

I saw that alright. But if you see him in town he looks like he had just walked out the front door of Fitzgeralds. I wonder if he is actually staying in the tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Vizzy wrote: »
    I saw that alright. But if you see him in town he looks like he had just walked out the front door of Fitzgeralds. I wonder if he is actually staying in the tent.
    Yes he is living in the tent. Apparently the council own the house and have been trying to evict him for ages, they finally managed over the summer. His mother was living there but she had moved on and was living with a sister. I also heard he was offered other housing but turned it down.

solerina wrote: »
    Yes he is living in the tent. Apparently the council own the house and have been trying to evict him for ages, they finally managed over the summer. His mother was living there but she had moved on and was living with a sister. I also heard he was offered other housing but turned it down.

Yeah, he is certainly living there, passed him outside it a few times late in the night. Hopefully he will be sorted out before the bad weather sets back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Clonmel arms development eventually got the go ahead from An Bord Pleanala. They had to reduce the height of the building & exclude the hotel. Borc partnership applied for an extension to planning last year and got it in September 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Has the logo shop (for want of a better description!) opposite Lyons closed down or just relocated? Sad to see yet another empty building.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

Below is the planning that was received, no hotel included

for mixed use development including a multi storey
    car park, permission for works to a protected
    structure No. 4 O'Connell St (RPS No. 200), the
    Clonmel Arms Hotel, (RPS No. 283) and former Bank
    (RPS No. 284). These works include the removal
    and replacement of existing timber frame shopfront
    at No. 4 O'Connell St, and partial demolition of
    internal walls of 4 O'Connell St and the Clonmel
    Arms Hotel to permit mall entrance to proposed
    mixed use development. Permission is also sought
    for the following: (a) demolition of more recent
    extensions to the Clonmel Arms Hotel, (b) change of
    use of existing Clonmel Arms hotel and associated
    renovations to provide for restaurant/cafe (gross
    floor area 856.8 sq.m) (c) construction of 18 no.
    apartments (d) construction of 9 no. retail units
    (gross floor area 2518.3 sq.m) and associated store
    rooms (gross floor area 207.4 sq.m) (e) construction
    of a medical centre (gross floor area 550.4 sq.m) (f)
    construction of 9 no. office units (gross floor area
    1446.6 sq.m) (g) construction of a multi-storey car
    park providing 466 no. spaces (h) construction of a
    plant room, store rooms and service yard, (i)
    connection to local authority foul and surface water
    sewers and public water mains and (j) all associated
    site development works. An Environmental Impact
    Statement is included with the planning application
    Sarsfield Street/O'Connell Street, Blue Anchor Lane
    and Quay Street

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

pooch90 wrote: »
    Has the logo shop (for want of a better description!) opposite Lyons closed down or just relocated? Sad to see yet another empty building.

closed down due to ill health, Linda the girl that owned it posted on facebook she's in poor health and can't continue with business

• Advertisement

hope everything goes ok for her

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

The original planning application for Clonmel arms included a hotel. That development was appealed to an bord pleanala by an taisce. They appealed that the development was too high and over shadowed the main guard. An Bord Pleanala refused the first application but approved the second planning application. They reduced the height , excluded the hotel, but added 18 apartments instead. It really needs to get some sort of development now. Its become an eye sore in town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

I can't see any sane developer opting to put retail units into a development on the Arms site. You could stand on the roof of the arms throwing stones and chances are most buildings you hit already have derelict retail units. Best thing for the Arms site would be to do something that attracts people into the town for reasons other than retail and that would in turn boost the existing retail units. Like in Limerick where the derelict Opera center development is being turned into a city center campus for UL in the hope that the students will in turn spend in the rest of the city center. A bit of creative thinking is needed. But if the proposal is to put more empty retail units in there in the hope that will somehow resurrect the retail sector in the town reminds me of nothing short of "is there anything to be said for another mass".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

That's why the hotel aspect of the planing really doesn't make sense the town centre could actually do with a proper hotel

Doesnt the rumour of the hotel being developed not usually appear about once a year? A bit like the talk of argos coming to town a few years back :)

I for one would love to see it being developed back into a hotel instead of more retail units. Another place Id like to see developed is the building across from Dudleys Mills, renovation started a few years ago and stopped suddenly. The place looks like there isn't a massive amount of work to be done to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

touts wrote: »
    I can't see any sane developer opting to put retail units into a development on the Arms site. You could stand on the roof of the arms throwing stones and chances are most buildings you hit already have derelict retail units. Best thing for the Arms site would be to do something that attracts people into the town for reasons other than retail and that would in turn boost the existing retail units. Like in Limerick where the derelict Opera center development is being turned into a city center campus for UL in the hope that the students will in turn spend in the rest of the city center. A bit of creative thinking is needed. But if the proposal is to put more empty retail units in there in the hope that will somehow resurrect the retail sector in the town reminds me of nothing short of "is there anything to be said for another mass".

Absolutely right. Look at Market Place for example.

cml387 wrote: »
    Absolutely right. Look at Market Place for example.

I think that's more complicated. The whole street was bought by one party. My guess is they are sitting on it until either all the tenants have left and/or property prices pick up before redeveloping it.

Clonmel Arms sit should include a hotel though. A good mix is required. A hotel, one or two retails units, restaurant, apartment's and car parking. That was I understand the original plan and one that makes sense.

Town centre needs a hotel. The Park is just to far out for those wanting a weekend break and for the town centre to benefit from visitors.

Antone have any ideas what's going into the Posthouse? Some work going on there the last time I was in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I think that's more complicated. The whole street was bought by one party. My guess is they are sitting on it until either all the tenants have left and/or property prices pick up before redeveloping it.

Clonmel Arms sit should include a hotel though. A good mix is required. A hotel, one or two retails units, restaurant, apartment's and car parking. That was I understand the original plan and one that makes sense.

Town centre needs a hotel. The Park is just to far out for those wanting a weekend break and for the town centre to benefit from visitors.

Antone have any ideas what's going into the Posthouse? Some work going on there the last time I was in town.

i think the work on is on the building beside it - there is scaffolding in the passage between the two buildings but seems the actual work is on the other building

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭JonJones

There is someone sleeping in a tent? Where exactly is this? Why was he evicted? A tent would be cold even now I would think. Some cold nights lately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

JonJones wrote: »
    Why was he evicted?

From post 3916
    Apparently the council own the house and have been trying to evict him for ages, they finally managed over the summer. His mother was living there but she had moved on and was living with a sister. I also heard he was offered other housing but turned it down.

Speculation
    Possibly the mother was the council tenant not him.
    In this scenario he may have had no entitlement to remain once she left.
    Possibly there was more than 1 bedroom in the house.
    Consequently the council felt it could be used by a family.

It appears from the post that alternate accommodation may have been offered.

Advertisement