Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Nothing beats Facebook political activists :')

I hate asshats like that probably because in my younger and more foolish days I would have used this dim-witted train of thought most likely in an attempt to claim some sort of moral superiority. Because, like, Gaaaaawd…

It's not a zero sum equation. It is possible to feel outraged at what is happening in Gaza AND feel saddened that an actor whose work you enjoyed through the years arrived at a point where his mental anguish drove him to suicide.

It really annoys me when people use the words "purge" or "cull" when talking about Facebook friends ... if you don't want to be friends with them, then quietly unfriend them, why does anyone else have to know, and why does it have to be a big deal?! :confused:

Because when you're starring in the movie of your own life, everything has to have added gravitas. 'Purged' and 'culled' sounds way cooler than 'clicked unfriend'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I hate asshats like that probably because in my younger and more foolish days I would have used this dim-witted train of thought most likely in an attempt to claim some sort of moral superiority. Because, like, Gaaaaawd…

It's not a zero sum equation. It is possible to feel outraged at what is happening in Gaza AND feel saddened that an actor whose work you enjoyed through the years arrived at a point where his mental anguish drove him to suicide.

Hear, hear. For a lot of people in their early 20s, Robin Williams was almost a babysitter. I didn't realise how much my childhood was associated with his movies until he died and I am genuinely upset thinking about the torment he must have been going through.

Does that mean I don't think what's happening in Gaza or Iraq is terrible and wrong? Does it mean I don't value those lives? Of course not. As you say, it's not a zero sum equation. What was it in Dead Poet's Society about staying alive for beauty and love? Art and entertainment are among the most important things there are, they can change the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Is it weird for me to hate people plagueing facebook with pics of their babies??? Seems to be all facebook is used for anymore. Just today i saw one of my friends upload a scan of an unborn baby who wont be born until feb next year. I mean come on isnt that a bit ott??

One of my friends sister gave birth to her first child recently. Every day for about a fortnight leading up to the birth, she was providing updates on the status of the pregnant sister and the baby, giving inspirational quotes etc. Since the baby was born, she must have about 4 status' everyday with different pics of the baby. I've noticed the mother herself isn't so keen to tell the world via FB. Very annoying.

But if she isn't telling everyone that she's an auntie, she's constantly going on about how much she ran today, the healthy dinner she's after cooking, giving "inspirational" quotes to the women that use her gym.

Don't know how I've put up with her so long!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

It really annoys me when people use the words "purge" or "cull" when talking about Facebook friends ... if you don't want to be friends with them, then quietly unfriend them, why does anyone else have to know, and why does it have to be a big deal?! :confused:

Its no big deal. How do they ever know? I don't talk to them hence there removed? No ones the wiser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Open to the Universe to show me where i am to Be & Live come Sept/Oct. New chapters a-coming. Ready to step into more embodiment & empowerment. Ready to unwind into hOMe with TribeCommunity that awakens heArt. The highest path in Light; may it be shown in pristine clarity. Aho~

Tomorrow.:.interview for a grant from the [BANK} to start up a small business! Send prayers of light to the process! PhoenixLyght StarSense events would love to be born into [CITY] to channel new codes through our collective tribe through embodiment, multi-sensory awakening artistic endeavours! May Hanuman, archangel Michael, Ganesha, Lakshmi and the Dolphins be with the birth of this visioned holographic entity :) aho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Open to the Universe to show me where i am to Be & Live come Sept/Oct. New chapters a-coming. Ready to step into more embodiment & empowerment. Ready to unwind into hOMe with TribeCommunity that awakens heArt. The highest path in Light; may it be shown in pristine clarity. Aho~

Tomorrow.:.interview for a grant from the [BANK} to start up a small business! Send prayers of light to the process! PhoenixLyght StarSense events would love to be born into [CITY] to channel new codes through our collective tribe through embodiment, multi-sensory awakening artistic endeavours! May Hanuman, archangel Michael, Ganesha, Lakshmi and the Dolphins be with the birth of this visioned holographic entity :) aho

Sorry... what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

All the badly spelt "rip robin williams u wer a ldgend" statuses that are litering my FB feed this morning irritate the balls off me.Just don't see the point of it,these people didn't know the man personally and I'd highly doubt any of his relatives or friends will see their posts either.

Most people are only posting it because its the popular thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

All the badly spelt "rip robin williams u wer a ldgend" statuses that are litering my FB feed this morning irritate the balls off me.

Ahem..

• Advertisement

All the badly spelt "rip robin williams u wer a ldgend" statuses that are litering my FB feed this morning irritate the balls off me.Just don't see the point of it,these people didn't know the man personally and I'd highly doubt any of his relatives or friends will see their posts either.

Most people are only posting it because its the popular thing to do.

I've posted about it because I've enjoyed watching him in movies through the years and always found him to be very open and personable in interviews. He seemed like a decent skin and I think his death resonates with a lot of people. You can have everything in the world but it doesn't matter a jot if you're suffering from depression.

Cracked had a nice piece about comedy and depression written about Robin Williams and Guardian reposted an article from 3 years ago when he was promoting World's Greatest Dad which was particularly poignant in light of his passing and I shared the two of them because I thought they were both insightful articles into the mindset of Williams and genuinely I felt quite sad to hear he had committed suicide.

Bt lol, rlly I woz jzt doin it 4 da likez! Robbin Willaimz iz a legdend!

Kunstnugget, off-topic I know, but would you mind posting the link to that Cracked article please? I'd like to read it. Read the Guardian interview and it was v poignant.

ivytwine wrote: »
    Kunstnugget, off-topic I know, but would you mind posting the link to that Cracked article please? I'd like to read it. Read the Guardian interview and it was v poignant.

No problem.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/robin-williams-why-funny-people-kill-themselves/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

Thanks! :) I'd have looked myself only I'm supposed to be job-hunting and I keep getting distracted :o

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

fizzypish wrote: »
    Its no big deal. How do they ever know? I don't talk to them hence there removed? No ones the wiser.

Don't want to put words in that poster's mouth but I think they were referring to those people that post "I just did a friend cull so if you can still see this, congrats, you've made the cut" type statuses. Those people wreck my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Don't want to put words in that poster's mouth but I think they were referring to those people that post "I just did a friend cull so if you can still see this, congrats, you've made the cut" type statuses. Those people wreck my head!

O right. I misunderstood. No of course I don't public post on FB that I'm performing a "Cull". "Cull's" are performed in order to remove uninteresting/boring (to me that is) posts from the general posts list. To be honest I don't think I've ever seen anyone post that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

fizzypish wrote: »
    O right. I misunderstood. No of course I don't public post on FB that I'm performing a "Cull". "Cull's" are performed in order to remove uninteresting/boring (to me that is) posts from the general posts list. To be honest I don't think I've ever seen anyone post that.

I saw a post like that once, written by a guy who added me after meeting briefly at a mutual friend's wedding.
    I accepted the friend request as I thought it would be rude not to; a couple of months later he put up a 'warning' that he was planning to 'streamline' his friends list because it was taking up too much of his time to read posts from his 1000+ friends, and not to take it too personally if you were one of the 'friends' that were removed... I decided to save him the bother and 'unfriended' him on the spot, so I'll never know if I would've made the cut!
    Anyone who's just low-level annoying (always entering competitions or posting updates on stupid fb games, or Made in Fcukin Chelsea references) just goes on the ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The ice water challenge this is pretty stupid, but this is on another level altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

There must have been some big event on the day brain cells were handed out.

How many Darwin awards will be given out due to these idiotic FB spread crazes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

''me little brainbox getting her leaving cert results tomoro ino she'll do graeat making mammy proud<3

''ah good luck to her hun she'll be grand''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Robsweezie wrote: »
    ''me little brainbox getting her leaving cert results tomoro ino she'll do graeat making mammy proud<3

''ah good luck to her hun she'll be grand''

Cue a

"whaddya meen ya faild Eenglish, ya tikk bollix ye"

in the morning.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Ahem..

Are both ''spelled'' and ''spelt'' not correct,depending on which vernacular you are using?

Thought being a grammar nazi was frowned upon in AH.

Are both ''spelled'' and ''spelt'' not correct,depending on which vernacular you are using?

Thought being a grammar nazi was frowned upon in AH.

Pointing out irony isn't...

I've posted about it because I've enjoyed watching him in movies through the years and always found him to be very open and personable in interviews. He seemed like a decent skin and I think his death resonates with a lot of people. You can have everything in the world but it doesn't matter a jot if you're suffering from depression.

Cracked had a nice piece about comedy and depression written about Robin Williams and Guardian reposted an article from 3 years ago when he was promoting World's Greatest Dad which was particularly poignant in light of his passing and I shared the two of them because I thought they were both insightful articles into the mindset of Williams and genuinely I felt quite sad to hear he had committed suicide.

Bt lol, rlly I woz jzt doin it 4 da likez! Robbin Willaimz iz a legdend!

Don't get your point.

I've suffered massively from depression and self harm and still don't see how that excuses morons,who have no comprehension of the illness, posting about Robin Williams' passing on FB.It's popularity/like scoring/attention seeking pure and simple for the most part,and it annoys the balls off me.

Don't get your point.

I've suffered massively from depression and self harm and still don't see how that excuses morons,who have no comprehension of the illness, posting about Robin Williams' passing on FB.It's popularity/like scoring/attention seeking pure and simple for the most part,and it annoys the balls off me.

I think your view on people's motives is a bit skewed. My point is that generally I believe people were posting about it because it was a shock to many and they were showing their appreciation for the man. I don't think people were in the main doing it for attention seeking or like scoring. His appeal was pan-generational. For my age group, Dead Poets Society was a seminal film, for people older than me it was Mork and Mindy and people younger it was Hook, Jumanji and Mrs. Doubtfire. Sure, some people are going to post because they think it's the thing to do but in the main I think most posted because they felt an affection for the man.

It's true that many people commenting on it have no comprehension of mental illness but as someone I know said in relation to it today 'I wouldn't wish depression on my worst enemy.' I have never suffered from depression myself but I have seen the devastating effects it has had on people very important to me. It's a horrendous and insidious illness and it's part of the reason I find the passing of Williams so sad. To the outside world, it looked like Williams had everything going for him but his depression meant it was of no help to him in the end.

I genuinely hope you are getting the help you need in dealing with any mental health issues you are having at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

A strange comment on a Facebook friend's status about Robin Williams.

Status:Shocking News of the passing of Hollywood's greatest Comedian and actor Robin Williams who died at the age of 63.. So sad to hear...May he rest in peace poor man

Comment: I hear ya NAME REDACTED.....tore my heart out.....SUICIDE?????? You Dick, Robin......YOU DICK!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think the whole 'should we people post about Robin Williams' debate can be summed up with: things people do are stupid, until I want do the same things...then they're really meaningful and poignant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Young lad found dead around here yesterday (had been missing) People who dont know him putting up status's saying I didnt know him but feel devastated, so sorry to his family etc... All for a few ****ing likes!

Ive deleted 6 from my friend list this morning over it already

Young lad found dead around here yesterday (had been missing) People who dont know him putting up status's saying I didnt know him but feel devastated, so sorry to his family etc... All for a few ****ing likes!

Ive deleted 6 from my friend list this morning over it already
    I know the ones you're on about. Same happened a relation of mine not so long ago, the crocodile tears from people who didn't give a **** were (and still are) pretty sickening.

EDIT: Also the usual different stories going around about how he was found etc. I hate the sick ****s who have to pretend they know something in a situation like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

From a dating site

Hi. I'm a mom to a beautiful 3 year old girl & I'm also 4 months pregnant on my second baby

WTF ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement