Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Mooney Show *MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Mooney has set his sights on demolishing Beckett's reputation! Panic everyone!

Coming from a man who thinks the Eurovision is the cultural highlight of the year, I think the literary world needn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Coming from a man who thinks the Eurovision is the cultural highlight of the year, I think the literary world needn't worry.

You can laugh Harry, I was a bit stressed hearing that today!....:pac:

"The Hare and the Hedgehog"

That's a new one on me, Bren :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

As my old man said to me the other day...

"Did you ever hear that Brenda Donohue wan on the radio.... :( *sighs*... the Lord Jaysus Christ."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

mackeral maddness !

:D:D : D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

friends of Dorothy on today

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

friends of Dorothy on today

Careful now...

lol, "the critics just don't seem to get Mrs Browns Boys"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ill be honest my problems with Irish films is in the main there fecking depressing dirgefests.

even the fecking commitments is set against a period of recession that'd make ya want to slit your wrists.

why the hell is it so dificult to make one thats a bit of fun?

A 50 minute long discussion about the Wizard of Oz, involving at least 2 openly Gay commentators, and absolutely no mention whatsoever about the movies' place in Gay culture. The item also randomly finished by playing "Am I losing my mind" , by the Pet Shop Boys and Liza Minnelli (2 more gay icons)

I wish this programme would come out of the closet and openly acknowledge that it's target audience is the Gay community, rather than insidiously trying to "sneak" topics past the listenership.

It's time the Mooney Show grew up and stopped being disingenuous. It snickers behind it's hand like a 12 year old schoolboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Robert2012 wrote: »
    A 50 minute long discussion about the Wizard of Oz, involving at least 2 openly Gay commentators, and absolutely no mention whatsoever about the movies' place in Gay culture. The item also randomly finished by playing "Am I losing my mind" , by the Pet Shop Boys and Liza Minnelli (2 more gay icons)

I wish this programme would come out of the closet and openly acknowledge that it's target audience is the Gay community, rather than insidiously trying to "sneak" topics past the listenership.

It's time the Mooney Show grew up and stopped being disingenuous. It snickers behind it's hand like a 12 year old schoolboy.

And mentioning the gay connection with the Wizard of Oz would prompt the anti-gay people to say that gays have taken ownership of the film. Can Derek not do an item without mentioning gay stuff etc etc. Derek can't win.

I'm sure a lot of people found the discussion on The Wizard of Oz very interesting - straight or gay.

And mentioning the gay connection with the Wizard of Oz would prompt the anti-gay people to say that gays have taken ownership of the film. Can Derek not do an item without mentioning gay stuff etc etc. Derek can't win.

I'm sure a lot of people found the discussion on The Wizard of Oz very interesting - straight or gay.

I have no problem with the discussion of the movie. But I am sure any discussion of the movie, on any programme, whether on TV or Radio, would reference it's place in Gay culture. There is something ironic about it's discussion on the Mooney Show without any reference whatsoever.

And if you actually listen to the programme on a daily basis, as I do, you will find that practically every item covered has a Gay connection, in some cases a tenuous one, in most cases an overt one.

So I would suggest that not only is the Mooney Show being disingenuous with it's running order, but perhaps you are being too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I have no problem with the discussion of the movie. But I am sure any discussion of the movie, on any programme, whether on TV or Radio, would reference it's place in Gay culture. There is something ironic about it's discussion on the Mooney Show without any reference whatsoever.

And if you actually listen to the programme on a daily basis, as I do, you will find that practically every item covered has a Gay connection, in some cases a tenuous one, in most cases an overt one.

So I would suggest that not only is the Mooney Show being disingenuous with it's running order, but perhaps you are being too.

I very rarely listen to his programme. It's terrible.

The gay connection was more with Dorothy and Judy Garland and that came in the years after the film was released AFAIK.

What's this disingenuous phrase meant to mean? Lying?

I very rarely listen to his programme. It's terrible.

The gay connection was more with Dorothy and Judy Garland and that came in the years after the film was released AFAIK.

What's this disingenuous phrase meant to mean? Lying?

Disingenuous doesn't mean lying, as I'm sure you know. I was simply suggesting that you were failing to acknowledge the normal content of the Mooney Show, but as you have admitted, you rarely listen to the programme, as you think it's terrible.

The gay connection with TWoO existed long before the 1939 film version of the story, through a series of books, several movies, a stage musical and is well documented.

My post was questioning the fact that a programme presented by an openly Gay presenter neglected to mention it's place in Gay culture. I would expect even an openly Hetrosexual to reference it.

d5f677de91012168a6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

trojan-horse.jpg?w=480&h=362

"Yoo Hoooooo!"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe all this uber gay stuff like yesterday is his way of giving the two fingers to the catholic far right headbangers that came down hard on him a few weeks ago

if it is i take my hat off to him

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

you will find that practically every item covered has a Gay connection, in some cases a tenuous one, in most cases an overt one.

um, i finish work at 4 on a friday and always listen to the last half hour where they talk about wildlife. whats the gay connection there?

i was driving from dublin yesterday and heard the entire mooney show, and as someone who likes history and movies i thought the bit on WoO was very interesting. his remark about liza was bitchy though, i'll grant you that.

Seriously, does anybody care about "Flower of Scotland" enough to spend half an hour listening to its origins? They wouldn't even put up with this shyte in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭joe6pack

How many times has he had Rory Cowen on at this stage?
    Other guests that know Derek must point blank refuse to take part in the show.
    It's sounding desperate at this stage

• Advertisement

joe6pack wrote: »
    How many times has he had Rory Cowen on at this stage?
    Other guests that know Derek must point blank refuse to take part in the show.
    It's sounding desperate at this stage

Derek has all his mates on a rota, and brings them in at least once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Derek has all his mates on a rota, and brings them in at least once a month.
    Didn't he say he was in Manchester last week watching Godot with that Rory "Mrs Brown's Boy", and he fell asleep at it....?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did Rory steer the conversation to Israel again? Or is that a silly question

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Jedward on again!
    You couldn't make this stuff up.
    Crystal Swing should be due another outing soon.
    It must be at least a couple of weeks......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I have to listen to this in work most days. Though, I can't hear a good bit of what is being said, the bits I can pick up on can be rather cringeworthy. But, it's obviously popular with the listeners, who obviously don't find it that bad, hence why it is still on the go after all this time. I really feared the worst when Jedward came on, but from what I heard, they didn't seem as juvenile and annoying as normal. Still, I would have turned them straight off, if I had my way.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Derek seems to take half the days off - he was missing again a couple of days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

A man of his stature is permitted a day off now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

• Advertisement

MJ23 wrote: »
    Hopefully it's true.

We're not out of the woods yet. It might become "The Brenda Donohue Show" after he leaves :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement