Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Mooney Show *MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did they get Brenda down out of the big wheel yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

telekon wrote: »
    heh heh heh...you got burned flutt. :D

Don't think so Tel, just flushed a few real broadcasters out of the rafters.

Just because a real person, and I believe it to be so, shows up to put their
    point of view doesn't mean anyone got burned.

Just shows the comments are effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

Don't think so Tel, just flushed a few real broadcasters out of the rafters.

Just because a real person, and I believe it to be so, shows up to put their
    point of view doesn't mean anyone got burned.

Just shows the comments are effective.

How very thin-skinned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Anyone else enjoying Mooney's Abba Special? - Mooney, Paul G and some other Eurovision lad over in Stockholm following in the footsteps of the great Benny, Bjorn, Anna and the other wan.
    Apart from my Gaydar blowing up, it was a welcome relief after the pretentious w**kology of 'Other Voices' from some pub in New York, supported by Culture Ireland and other Quangos.

Radio One sure has variety in it's schedule today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Anyone else enjoying Mooney's Abba Special? - Mooney, Paul G and some other Eurovision lad over in Stockholm following in the footsteps of the great Benny, Bjorn, Anna and the other wan.
    Apart from my Gaydar blowing up, it was a welcome relief after the pretentious w**kology of 'Other Voices' from some pub in New York, supported by Culture Ireland and other Quangos.

Radio One sure has variety in it's schedule today!

Great stuff, I agree. And Gaydar is still throbbing, so you'll be able to log in again after 30 minutes if you have mis-entered your password.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Not sure why RTE are facilitating this nonsense... it's kinda dangerous ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm allergic to R1 after 3pm... what is being said?

Wertz wrote: »
    I'm allergic to R1 after 3pm... what is being said?

Well, to take just one example, on a Saturday evening at 7 we enjoy Dr Andy O'Mahoney's conversation programme Dialogue.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

That's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Wertz wrote: »
    That's nice.
    lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It started off very well and was quite interesting, but then went down hill when people rang in with their dreams.

Woman:"I have dreams about a bull"
    Guesthost(cant remember his name): "The bull is a symbol for masculinity"

Derek:"Were you brought up on a farm, or ever had a run in with a bull"

He is some f**kin eejit at times. When you obviously dont know about something, shut the F*** up! You just make yourself sound stupid!

Well, to take just one example, on a Saturday evening at 7 we enjoy Dr Andy O'Mahoney's conversation programme Dialogue.

Hugo Brady Brown

I'm a big fan of the dark ochre tones of Andy.

Doctor now is he, what was his thesis?

Very well informed chap in fairness, and the accent is well, mind-blowing.

Brought up in the Home Counties by the sound of it.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Brought up in the Home Counties by the sound of it.confused.gif

You could say that Flutt. South Tipperary is the home county (or half a county) that Andy comes from.

That's how Tommy O'Brien spoke and Matty McGrath has a similar set of recieved pronounciations, don't you think?

You could say that Flutt. South Tipperary is the home county (or half a county) that Andy comes from.

That's how Tommy O'Brien spoke and Matty McGrath has a similar set of recieved pronounciations, don't you think?

I would suggest thinking about the late Tommy O'Brien and Vincent Hanley, in fact. Both men spoke with commendable clarity, and with passion about their particular interests. As with Dr O'Mahoney, it is not the 'accent' that mattered, but the fine quality of their voices. I suspect that Clonmel must have had a good school for boys, or a lively dramatic society, or a fine Speech & Drama teacher. Or, perhaps, the people there are simply gifted communicators, with beautiful voices and faces suitable for TV (television).

Hugo Brady Brown

Permanent hall monitor on the thread now.

Degringola wrote: »
    Permanent hall monitor on the thread now.

Que?

Hugo Brady Brown :)

I rest my case!
    Goodnight.

:D

Degringola wrote: »
    :D

Though I am still no wiser.

Hugo Brady Brown

Dave McHugh me auld flower, heard you on the radio today and, objectively, stay the other side of the mic.

The Aston Martin and 'Mini Cewper' very high pitched delivery, especially when asking the question,very pronounced Dublin accent .

You would bust my balls with too much of that, just being honest.

Do yourself a favour , stick at the producing, sorry 'bout that man, just saying it as it is.

Nothing personal.

• Advertisement

Dave McHugh me auld flower, heard you on the radio today and, objectively, stay the other side of the mic.

The Aston Martin and 'Mini Cewper' very high pitched delivery, especially when asking the question,very pronounced Dublin accent .

You would bust my balls with too much of that, just being honest.

Do yourself a favour , stick at the producing, sorry 'bout that man, just saying it as it is.

Nothing personal.

But does that comment not sound personal? Surely it can be nothing but personal? Are we now to insist on the extirpation of the variety of our own speech patterns in this country? Is the DART accent not a violation of the human rights of anyone who has to be on the receiveing end of it? Do we not find appealing the witty, musical, natural language found in the capital, the city where, according to the dramatist and advocate, Ulick O'Connor, the best English in the world was spoken? The city of Joyce and Wilde and Shaw and Stoker! It's part of what we are.

(Incidentally, I have been the beneficiary of a communication attempting to interpret the use of the term 'permanent hall monitor'. It may be a juvenile term applied to a respected figure in authority. I would wish my opinons to convince by their force, not by any sense of anyone feeling the need to be deferential to me personally.)

Hugo Brady Brown

But does that comment not sound personal? Surely it can be nothing but personal? Are we now to insist on the extirpation of the variety of our own speech patterns in this country? Is the DART accent not a violation of the human rights of anyone who has to be on the receiveing end of it? Do we not find appealing the witty, musical, natural language found in the capital, the city where, according to the dramatist and advocate, Ulick O'Connor, the best English in the world was spoken? The city of Joyce and Wilde and Shaw and Stoker! It's part of what we are.

(Incidentally, I have been the beneficiary of a communication attempting to interpret the use of the term 'permanent hall monitor'. It may be a juvenile term applied to a respected figure in authority. I would wish my opinons to convince by their force, not by any sense of anyone feeling the need to be deferential to me personally.)

Hugo Brady Brown

No 'Ugo it does not.

Purely an objective observation on the subjects contribution to today's Mooney Show.

I'm sure the lad is an excellent person, but his place, with that diction and cadence is behind the mic.

'Ugo anyone who did not understand the term 'permanent hall monitor' is either a ree or taking the piss.

Unless of course you are as un -street wise as Aoife Kav. who on MI who did not understand the term 'Today bantam cock-tomorrow feather duster'. or something near that.

Tells one all one needs to know.

No 'Ugo it does not.

Purely an objective observation on the subjects contribution to today's Mooney Show.

I'm sure the lad is an excellent person, but his place, with that diction and cadence is behind the mic.

'Ugo anyone who did not understand the term 'permanent hall monitor' is either a ree or taking the piss.

Unless of course you are as un -street wise as Aoife Kav. who on MI who did not understand the term 'Today bantam cock-tomorrow feather duster'. or something near that.

Tells one all one needs to know.

Thank you FlutterinBantam, but I find myself again perplexed, since I have no idea in the wide earthly world what a 'ree' is. Can you enlighten me, please? You may have no appreciation of how elusive a sound translation of such terms of art can prove to be, transparent as they may well appear to be to people who move in certain circles that do not intersect with mine.

On the matter of your earlier post itself, as you have enlarged upon it in the immediately preceding post to this, I would hold in rebuttal that it cannot in principle be for anyone, however well-informed and however sound their judgement, to assert with any credibility that their own view is an '[p]urely and objective observation' on any matter. These Boards are in fact a nexus of exchange of heightened subjectivity, not objectivity. And that is in the good moments.

We also, I feel, need to use state media so that every type of voice in the land is heard. We are no longer in the domain of the inter-war BBC talking down to people, simply on the basis of the timbre or tone of their voice, or because of their use of regional or other dialects. Happily, we have made some progress.

I appreciate that you yourself may have a special insight into the minds of farmyard fowls, but it is to make an extreme demand to expect such familiarity and ease of communication in others. In relation to the Aoife Kav. (who?) business, I think it is no cause for shame for anyone not to have heard or understood a particular idiomatic phrase, since it may be outside her experience, most especially if a person is young, inexperienced or the product of a sheltered upbringing. In a case such as this, it seems to me to involve a complex image that requires a person to understand what a bantam is (and urban dwellers might well walk past an escaped bantam on the roadside, taking it for an unusual pheasant), remembering immediately what a feather duster of old was, and imagining a feather duster composed of the corpse of a single entire bantam. If one has heard the fabricated novel but seemingly idiomatic phrase before, one has a headstart on someone who must generate a mental image from first principles.

So, I appeal for a little more consideration for our broadcasters and the difficult job they must do, simultaneously talking and controlling complex studio broadcasting equipment.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Hugo, might I be as forward as to suggest, that you lighten up a little and not take everything so literally.

You may find boards are rather more enjoyable experience if you do not feel the need to reply in such a rigid fashion.

As to the topic at hand, I am still of the opinion that the show is terrible. Were it not for the fact that the canteen radio's dial has been sabotaged so it will only receive Radio 1, I would never listen to the show.

'Ugo... you are some card!!

I did laugh at your reply and baulked somewhat at your defense of Aoife K. and her focking disastrous appreciation of what is going on.

Here is someone to whom people hang on their words, but in reality know fcuk all!! Surely she should have been able to deduce the meaning of what the lad said?

A frikken spa could figure out the meaning 'Ugo.

this is an ANCHOR on a hard news prog.

Cmon man ...give the licence payer a frikken break.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Slidey wrote: »
    Hugo, might I be as forward as to suggest, that you lighten up a little and not take everything so literally.

You may find boards are rather more enjoyable experience if you do not feel the need to reply in such a rigid fashion.

As to the topic at hand, I am still of the opinion that the show is terrible. Were it not for the fact that the canteen radio's dial has been sabotaged so it will only receive Radio 1, I would never listen to the show.

Thank you Slidey, but I am afraid that some can never see a belt without hitting below it. But, as you suggest, I shall endeavour to tolerate the intolerable, endure the unendurable and avoid the unavoidable.

But seriously, isn't Derek really a fine young chap, every day the same happy, smiling self, affecting a form of gormlessness that can only be the product of long practice and effort? He is more like a dramatist of the radio than a compère, generating a quasi-real, quasi-fictional world out of the different turns that come in to see him, for the joyful consumption of the undemanding audience at that time of day, looking for something light and undisturbing. And who can ever forget him with Richard the swan man, and Éanna the naturist on those earnest programmes of long ago: how he must have suffered during his apprenticeship! (My researches once revealed that the odd name Éanna is a rendering in Irish of the adjective 'birdlike'. It's the kind of thing that can come up at a table-quiz.)

:)

Byyyyyyyyyyeeeeeee,

Hugo Brady Brown

Thank you FlutterinBantam, but I find myself again perplexed, since I have no idea in the wide earthly world what a 'ree' is.

Hugo Brady Brown

No probs 'Ugo

No probs 'Ugo

oooooh

Can one say that?

Hugo Brady Brown
    :o

• Advertisement

oooooh

Can one say that?

Hugo Brady Brown
    :o

Jaysus ,I think so, once one doesn't identify anyone in particular.

Like ...make a statement like... like calling out some geezer 'coming the auld soldier'

:eek: Surely you know what that means:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement