Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Mooney Show *MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

This is terrible radio... too many egos... ego bottleneck at the microphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Assholes anthem "Irelands call" being blasted out by Del and Brenda.

Thought Mooney would like that crap tune. Eurovision trash like Coulters' Call usually does it for himself and the Foghorn.

Fits right in with the tuneless twat who penned it and the right-on idiots of commentators in RTE who now refer to it as our National Anthem.....so termed by our "national" braodcaster prior to the games in Edinburgh and Bordeaux recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

europa11 wrote: »
    Assholes anthem "Irelands call" being blasted out by Del and Brenda.

Thought Mooney would like that crap tune. Eurovision trash like Coulters' Call usually does it for himself and the Foghorn.

Fits right in with the tuneless twat who penned it and the right-on idiots of commentators in RTE who now refer to it as our National Anthem.....so termed by our "national" braodcaster prior to the games in Edinburgh and Bordeaux recently.

eh??

It's not archived on the RTE website as far as I know, but following on from the John Kenny Derek Mooney tension thread, did anyone hear the Brenda O Donoghue-Derek Mooney incident yesterday.

Una O' Hagan (I think it was) had just read out the 3 o'clock news when Derek cut through on the mic and said "I bet you won't say that on air, Brenda, you will not say that on air". Seemed quite serious by his tone.

The introduction music to the show followed, and nothing else was mentioned of it throughout Brenda's interview with Derek. Although I did sense some slight tension in parts.

The unprofessionalism on the Mooney show is nothing new, but what is Derek doing cutting through on the mic and chiding contributors or co-hosts for whatever off air comments they make? The man needs to get a grip.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I'd love to watch a sitcom based on the behind the scenes happenings of the Mooney show... sounds like it would be good based on all that's been said here!

• Advertisement

All the awkwardness of Alan Partridge (complete with sidekick) without the humour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The sound quality of this piece from Brenda is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

What in Gods name is the point of this piece:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Only Mooney could turn 9/11 into a gay rights story..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

What's his problem with EP?
    I was an unwilling listener yesterday when he was offered tickets for free and he turned his nose up at them...tbh it'd be right up his alley (oh err) if he could get past the mud and expensive food...

Thankfully today I have control of the audio *click*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

They sent Dermot O'Neill (who has a fairly prominent lisp) to the Irish Seed Savers Association to get plums.. Somebody in RTE is taking the piss out of him..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is that Joe Duffy on now with Mooney talking about the feet :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Wertz wrote: »
    What's his problem with EP?
    I was an unwilling listener yesterday when he was offered tickets for free and he turned his nose up at them...tbh it'd be right up his alley (oh err) if he could get past the mud and expensive food...

Thankfully today I have control of the audio *click*

Well it shows he has a bit of sense anyway.

Not an EP man flutt? I suppose all those hippies and uncomfortable portaloos wouldn't sit well with you...

Wertz wrote: »
    Not an EP man flutt? I suppose all those hippies and uncomfortable portaloos wouldn't sit well with you...

Deffo not W.

Thoughts of wandering around a soggy field listening to loud music in the pissing rain doesn't appeal.

Wouldn't worry about the porties, just unload behind the tent in a 12litre waste bin bag, tie her up, and cant it at least 35 metres away.

Simples ;)

Sweet Jesus!

The ending of today's show was cringe inducing in the extreme.

Where did they get [offensive term deleted] McHugh from?

Am I paying my license for that crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Did anyone hear the quiz on Monday?
    They had a female caller contestant and the first question went something like
    "What bird wakes you up in the morning?"
    pause
    "A cock"

Cue much laughter.
    The correct answer was the Lark apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just tuned in to Mooney. Why is he playing "I'm so Ronery" from Team America?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

snubbleste wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the quiz on Monday?
    They had a female caller contestant and the first question went something like
    "What bird wakes you up in the morning?"
    pause
    "A cock"

Cue much laughter.
    The correct answer was the Lark apparently.
    yes, I heard it, Derek having a Larry Gogan moment (where's the taj mahal? contestant: at the bottom of Nassau street?)

Mooney: which bird are you said to be up with, if you are an early riser?

Contestant: mm...up with?...mmm...up with the cock!

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

am i actualy hearing this or did my brain melt after yer woman on liveline

chipmunks?

WTF ?

are ya sure they didnt mean "chipmunk" the musician when the kid was bugging ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Brenda Donohue's 'World Record' is ridiculous.

I remember watching Record Breakers as a kid - people needed skill, strength and dedication to get in the Guinness Book of Records back then.

Now it's all makey-up 'stayed on a funfair ride for a bit' nonsense which anyone could beat, if they could be bothered.

Norris McWhirter would be turning in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

iz-on-me-coffe-brek.jpg

World record me hole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dave McHugh

Sweet Jesus!

The ending of today's show was cringe inducing in the extreme.

Where did they get [offensive term deleted] McHugh from?

Am I paying my license for that crap.

Hello Anonymous,

Dave McHugh is my name, and I am from Cabra West.

I have worked on RTE Radio since 1996.

Who are you?

What broadcast experience have you got?

Have you heard the many programmes that I have produced and presented over the years?

I do not hide behind an O'Caseyesque pseudonym.

And I will remind you that laws of libel do exist on the internet, so be very careful about calling people names.

For the record, the item in question might not have been the most earth shattering, but light entertainment afternoon radio does not carry that brief.

You have, of course, as a licence payer, a right to criticise. But calling people derogatory names on an internet forum (whilst at the same time shielding your own identity) is going a step beyond. RTE have a procedure for complaints, which you can use at any time.

I have answered you honestly, and now expect the same in return.

Dave.

Hello Anonymous,

Who are you?

Have you heard the many programmes that I have produced and presented over the years?

And I will remind you that laws of libel do exist on the internet, so be very careful about calling people names.

For the record, the item in question might not have been the most earth shattering, but light entertainment afternoon radio does not carry that brief.

You have, of course, as a licence payer, a right to criticise. But calling people derogatory names on an internet forum (whilst at the same time shielding your own identity) is going a step beyond. RTE have a procedure for complaints, which you can use at any time.

Dave.

Good morning Dave

Other than being a licence payer, I have no experience of broadcasting good bad or indifferent.

However I feel that that does not bar me from criticising excerpts from programmes and presenters of the said programmes.

You say RTE have a procedure for complaints, but I'm afraid the experience I have had has been less than satisfactory, usually a curt one line response that the complaint has been passed on to the producer and that's the end of it.

If I was a bit loose in my language, sorry, but that particular excerpt was so annoying that I probably over reacted.

I am a fan of radio One usually ,and indeed have heard other programmes you have presented and produced, which is why I was amazed you would get involved in stuff like that.

Some of them were very interesting and informative, but really that end excerpt, was gut wrenching and annoyed me intensely.

I will listen out for any programmes you present and produce and if kudos and credit need to be given for them I will certainly do so,in the interests of fairness.

RTE need to get their act together on listener/viewer interaction which is a major reason why people vent on internet fora.

maybe you can give us some tips how to ensure that our complaints are properly handled?

Rgds

FB.

Stirring the hornets nest again eh Flutt?

What was the offending article?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Offensive term deleted from FlutterinBantam's post. Flutt - have a look at the charter with regard to personal abuse please and do keep an eye on the thin ice you're treading on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Yes, it is crucially important that civility is maintained on these Boards. The integrity, honour, professional competence or personal qualities of individuals should never be called into question in inflammatory language.

The work that Dave McHugh does includes high quality Light Entertainment, and this is what most people want from the national broadcaster, especially during daylight hours. Not every hour of the day can be like Pat Kenny's Frontline on RTE1 (TV), nor would it be good or healthy if it were.

There is a mistaken belief abroad that Light Entertainment amounts to fluff; it is, on the contrary, the very life blood of a PSB station, and accordingly it holds a special place in the schedules. Moreover, it is better that people should listen to or view in-house Light Entertainment, rather than turning over to external services, with the concomitant drain on advertising revenue, and the consequent decline in resources available here for programme making.

With my regards,

Hugo Brady Brown
    Hello Anonymous,

Who are you?

Dave.

Yes, it is crucially important that civility is maintained on these Boards. The integrity, honour, professional competence or personal qualities of individuals should never be called into question in inflammatory language.

The work that Dave McHugh does includes high quality Light Entertainment, and this is what most people want from the national broadcaster, especially during daylight hours. Not every hour of the day can be like Pat Kenny's Frontline on RTE1 (TV), nor would it be good or healthy if it were.

There is a mistaken belief abroad that Light Entertainment amounts to fluff; it is, on the contrary, the very life blood of a PSB station, and accordingly it holds a special place in the schedules. Moreover, it is better that people should listen to or view in-house Light Entertainment, rather than turning over to external services, with the concomitant drain on advertising revenue, and the consequent decline in resources available here for programme making.

With my regards,

Hugo Brady Brown

Interesting post Hugo , very interesting.

I would agree with a lot of the points, however I might beg to differ a bit from what you refer to as Light Entertainment.

I read the Irish Times most days and enjoy the rich tapestry and eclectic and diasporic subjects covered,however there is a standard below which they never deviate from.

In other words ,I don't expect a copy of 'Heat' in their magazine section.

Light Entertainment on the premier radio channel of a Public Service broadcaster, in my opinion should have a standard below which it should not go.

Recent episodes of the Mooney show in my opinion have 'breached the hull' of this ship of standards and certain presenters seem to go for the lowest common denominator , I refer to Ms Donohue's Guinness Record as one.

I agree that derogatory terms should not be used ,but neither should presenters and producers of Public service broadcasters be held up as minor deities and exempt from criticism.

There are plenty of 'light entertainment' routes to follow without going down the 'reality' route pandering to the basest and cheapest low brow activity all
    enhanced by a harsh voiced rough accented presenter shouting at the top of her voice.

I make no apology for bridling up at the thought of my taxpayers money going to produce that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Just listening to the podcasts of the show, and the item about the digital changeover was hilarious:).I could just picture the culshies with chickens and ducks and such around the house with wires and cables hanging down everywhere around the tv:p. You're wan that asked if she would be better to buy a new tv rather than buy a box instead was a bit confusing, as also thought by the 3 lads.She had RTE? but wanted to know if she could still get it free or something on saorview? I dont know.Absolute gas:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Hello Anonymous,

Who are you?

Dave.

heh heh heh...you got burned flutt. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement