Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Mooney Show *MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

chemical loos with no chemicals in em.

what could you use them for eh ?

:D

ah poor ol derek

theyre all out the get ya eh ?

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Here comes the guilt trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

i don't really understand the context of that letter, are we now on the topic of adopting g@y children ?

i just love how he keeps using religious nutters as a counterbalance.

god forbid theres actually a secular reason to be against it.

its is fun listening to him rail though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The wildlife part of the show is fine, the rest is utter crap.

I have to even complain about the wildlife part. Who is the guy with the faux know it all accent? He asks rambling questions that answer themselves.

There was an expert on a while back who had developed some new treatment for cancer. The man who's name I don't know (one of the regulars) has in fairness done his research but then continues to ask the question

what are the problems with the treatment is it perhaps ...... or perhaps that ..... or even perhaps that ....

The expert replies well yes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Derek is playing a blinder. This thread hasn't got so many comments from presumably straight men.

Keep the gay topics going.

Until it gets to a point where gay people are seen as equals and bullying ends, then what's the harm in him mentioning it every day. If you don't like it turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hightide

No wonder those tits leave the box so quick.

Derek is playing a blinder. This thread hasn't got so many comments from presumably straight men.

Keep the gay topics going.

Until it gets to a point where gay people are seen as equals and bullying ends, then what's the harm in him mentioning it every day. If you don't like it turn it off.

You see thats where you're missing the point.

Its the very fact that Mooney continues to deny that his programme has a gay driven agenda when it obviously has that annoys most people.

Its got nothing to do with bullying, and I as a straight man have always considered gay people as equals.

Its this adversarial them v us stance that pisses people like me off.
    How can anyone call for equality if they begin by taking sides ?

By all means let Mooney 'keep the gay topics going', but at least have enough respect for the listeners to admit that the programme has constant gay angle to it. I'd have nothing against that, but I would prefer if he came out (;)) and admitted that gay issues were a central theme of the programme, rather than trying to convince the listeners that they aren't. We're not complete idiots.

As for turning it off - I often do, but thats often due to other items covered on the show (and his co presenter) than any of the matters mentioned above.

Lapin wrote: »
    You see thats where you're missing the point.

Its the very fact that Mooney continues to deny that his programme has a gay driven agenda when it obviously has that annoys most people.

Its got nothing to do with bullying, and I as a straight man have always considered gay people as equals.

Its this adversarial them v us stance that pisses people like me off.
    How can anyone call for equality if they begin by taking sides ?

By all means let Mooney 'keep the gay topics going', but at least have enough respect for the listeners to admit that the programme has constant gay angle to it. I'd have nothing against that, but I would prefer if he came out (;)) and admitted that gay issues were a central theme of the programme, rather than trying to convince the listeners that they aren't. We're not complete idiots.

As for turning it off - I often do, but thats often due to other items covered on the show (and his co presenter) than any of the matters mentioned above.

I never really listen to his programme so I suppose I shouldn't be commenting. But I doubt he presents it as a them versus us situation.

His programme is a load of rubbish and it has no particular agenda. It's just a cheap 90 minute load of crap that happens to occasionally mention topics that relate to gay people.

If his agenda is to normalise "gay" issues in mainstream radio, then what's the harm in that? I somehow suspect that it's only some straight men that this bothers, as reflected on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

I've no problem with his sexuality but it's getting very tiresome listening to it all the time, he made a quick comment the other day about the number of underpant he would bring on a 14 night holiday (15, one extra in case he got lucky.........FFS) Brek thought it was hilarious. I mean FFS

In fairnes if every straight presenter kept referring to their sexuality as much as he does to his it would be fairly pathetic.

The show just isn't good and he is quite heavy handed with all issues. I think the problem is, the show presents itself as lighthearted and then tries to bring issues into the heart of the show, unfortunately Derek is unable not to be heavy handed with his views and often comes across as ill informed and uneducated (I am not just taking about the gay issues he raises). His jokes are ill advised on most occasions causing him to look no more then an Alan Partridge type presenter.

The show comes from a successful lighthearted weekend wildlife programme, however it just hasn't be successful with other issues that the show takes on.

Some of the relationship advice is awful and moronic. The show is moronic. He is too self obsessed and how Brenda got on radio should be questioned. When on the Gerry Ryan Show back in the day at least you could forgive her shouting over wind and rain as the live reporter down in the country, now we realize she shouts when she speaks.

Back to Derek, he is as patronizing as was Gay Byrne to his audience, unfortunately it often back fires on him, again causing to seem Alan Partridgesque.

The programme also lacks much need diversity. During Xfactor its wall to wall Xfactor, you'd wonder why RTÉ have a show that is "soooooooooooo" obsessed with a programme on another broadcaster. But I suppose the show also continues the same line with the Eurovision Song Contest. Every ****ing year a discussion about what's good and what's bad in Eurovision, mostly bad, I know its only once a year but it seems to go on and on for weeks.

And then there is the prerecorded question,

True or False does Derek Mooney present The Derek Mooney Show, If you think you know the answer then.....

Or The incredibly annoying

Rule of Three :eek:

Yes you are right I prob should change station.

I don't think anyone under the age of 75 should listen to Mooney, or Liveline for that matter.

I don't think anyone under the age of 75 should listen to Mooney, or Liveline for that matter.

Yeah but we'd miss these threads on boards.ie :) It's like were giving out for the old codgers online because they can't do it for themselves. Public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

europa11 wrote: »
    Putting on these bible-thumpers might backfire against him here.

3 o'clock in the afternoon on RTE-1, got to guess the listener profile around this time won't fit his agenda whatsoever.

Today on the Mooney Show, Derek chats with Iranian President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Iranian-president-Mahmoud-001.jpg

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Well done Derek, insulting your co-presenter within 5 seconds of coming on air. Is this a record? Or is it that Mary doesn't put up with your shoite like Brek does?

He's not used to seeing wimmen dressed up as wimmen.

Its usually blokes dressed up as ......... (I better stop now)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Mary Kingston sounds like an over-excited 11 year old just back from her holidays. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Mary might find that it's also frowned upon here in Ireland to take your smelly shoes off while on a train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Why doesnt Derek just grow and pair and bring his concerns directly to Brenda?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

To avoid any further controversy about the homosexual content of his program offending conservative Ireland, Mooney has done what any broadcaster would do... Send your reporter down to the sex shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

An announcement came on radio 1 here in the south east anyway around 4 saying "you may experience a loss of service for half an hour" and sure enough no signal until 4.30.Did I miss anything? Gutted I missed it:(..............:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

To avoid any further controversy about the homosexual content of his program offending conservative Ireland, Mooney has done what any broadcaster would do... Send your reporter down to the sex shop.

I found the 'shades of grey' segment of the slow and visiting the sex shop and the chat not suitable for afternoon listening especially with young children within listening distance. A lot of young people listen to Mooney for the Wildlife stories. He should stick to the bee, the bat, the butterfly, the cuckoo and the swallow and leave the adult content to the late night shows.

I found the 'shades of grey' segment of the slow and visiting the sex shop and the chat not suitable for afternoon listening especially with young children within listening distance. A lot of young people listen to Mooney for the Wildlife stories. He should stick to the bee, the bat, the butterfly, the cuckoo and the swallow and leave the adult content to the late night shows.

Young children do not listen to RTE radio.

Nothing wrong with sex being talked about during the day. It's 2012.

I know children who listen to Mooney for the wildlife content. A day trip to Miss Fantasia ? a guided tour of a sex shop is not suitable listening for 8,9 or 10 year olds.

I know children who listen to Mooney for the wildlife content. A day trip to Miss Fantasia ? a guided tour of a sex shop is not suitable listening for 8,9 or 10 year olds.

It's up to the parents to turn it off if sex shops shocks them.

The wildlife part is done on its own.

There are children that listen to the show and the show is made out to be a family show, sex shops don't suit the show. I can only imagine the moronicness to any discussion about either 50 shades of grey or sex shops and the absolute cringe worthy hosting style of Mr. Mooney. (neither are serious subjects I know but I can't imagine him getting away with it). He was never a good presenter.

I think hotmail.com that other posters are more in annoyed by Mr. Mooney than by the content of the show. Mr. Mooney just can't handle the content and he comes across as insulting.

It's not me who's shocked, but what I find shocking is the fact that the show has such a topic at 3.39 or 4pm in the afternoon when young children can hear a discussion about sex toys. Call me old fashioned but I think that's just not on. What does the Children's Ombudman or whoever is is charge of children's welfare in Ireland have to say about this I wonder.

It's not me who's shocked, but what I find shocking is the fact that the show has such a topic at 3.39 or 4pm in the afternoon when young children can hear a discussion about sex toys. Call me old fashioned but I think that's just not on. What does the Children's Ombudman or whoever is is charge of children's welfare in Ireland have to say about this I wonder.

What's wrong with sex shops and sex toys?

I don't know of anyone under 40 that listens to RTE Radio One, let alone children.

• Advertisement

What's wrong with sex shops and sex toys?

I don't know of anyone under 40 that listens to RTE Radio One, let alone children.

You've gone off the topic here slightly, I'm talking about the Mooney show, it's subject content and innocent children hearing same.

I'm not talking about the merits of sex shops.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement