Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Mooney Show *MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Donna and Joe?

Marty Morrissey?

/runs!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr_Ekan

When's Joe from Donna & Joe on, cos the person they've got on now sounds more like a middle-aged lady called Josephine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I thought it was Brian from Big Brother (with a cold) until I twigged who it was and went "Jaysus, more Eurovision indulgence". *Click*.
    (As in clicked my mouse and killed the stream)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Interesting interview with Joe... I'd say it's hard for him.. He must have taken some amount of abuse, and didnt really get a lot of money out of it. On the dole a few years ago.

But with regard to his singing, I'd say he's wasting his time.. He's a good singer (not brilliant), but he doesnt have the looks to make it as a serious pop star, or a leading man in stage musicals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I don't know of anyone under 40 that listens to RTE Radio One, let alone children.

You either have a small circle of friends or the people you do know are very limited in their interests.

I'm under 40 and have been listening to Radio 1 for years. I grew out of 2FM in my early teens. Despite the faults we highlight here, Radio 1 continues to offer some of the best quality output in this country across a wide range of subjects catering for all age groups from teens upwards.

To assume the station only caters for the interests of people over 40 is narrow minded to say the least and continuing to comment on the content of some programmes, while admitting you don't listen to them simply demonstrates a willingness to remain ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

That fairy from Athlone is on there now. I agree with above poster, he sounds like a middle aged woman who smoker 50 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Interesting interview with Joe... I'd say it's hard for him.. He must have taken some amount of abuse, and didnt really get a lot of money out of it. On the dole a few years ago.

But with regard to his singing, I'd say he's wasting his time.. He's a good singer (not brilliant), but he doesnt have the looks to make it as a serious pop star, or a leading man in stage musicals.

Just wish he could have been stopped from singing an awful version of one of my favourites from the last 10 years - 'My Immortal'. :pac:

I am sure he is not too bad of a guy, but he went the easy route of 'You're a Star' when he was still a teen, instead of working his way up. So, all in all, he did better than a lot of people.

Lapin wrote: »
    You either have a small circle of friends or the people you do know are very limited in their interests.

I'm under 40 and have been listening to Radio 1 for years. I grew out of 2FM in my early teens. Despite the faults we highlight here, Radio 1 continues to offer some of the best quality output in this country across a wide range of subjects catering for all age groups from teens upwards.

To assume the station only caters for the interests of people over 40 is narrow minded to say the least and continuing to comment on the content of some programmes, while admitting you don't listen to them simply demonstrates a willingness to remain ignorant.

The poster is not all that wrong - it is a station geared mostly for middle aged people.

As for quality output - the docs are very good. I was interviewed by Ronan Kelly once, and he definitely has a passion for that type of radio.

Otherwise, it is a station dominated by over the hill, high earning luvvies, who overestimate their overall importance. It needs a good change, but I won't hold my breadth.

It is pretty telling that the stand-in presenters in general are more interesting than the regulars.

Just wish he could have been stopped from singing an awful version of one of my favourites from the last 10 years - 'My Immortal'. :pac:

I dont understand. Mary Morrissey said it was great.. :confused:

I dont understand. Mary Morrissey said it was great.. :confused:

What was that about having him as a sidekick? Could you imagine George Hamilton, Darragh Maloney or Michael Corcoran doing that? I can't.

• Advertisement

What was that about having him as a sidekick? Could you imagine George Hamilton, Darragh Maloney or Michael Corcoran doing that? I can't.

How about John Kenny? I'd say he'd last about ten minutes before giving Mooney a bunch of fives (and he'd probably hit him three times cos things are better in threes :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lapin wrote: »

I was being flippant, I'm under 40 and sometimes listen to it.

But everyone knows that RTE Radio One is aimed at an older audience. The idea that young children will be listening to Derek Mooney is just laughable.

Funnily enough, the only radio programme on RTE Radio One that may cater for a younger audience, Derek Mooney, gets criticised whenever he mentions gay, sex, Jedward or X Factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

I was being flippant, I'm under 40 and sometimes listen to it.

But everyone knows that RTE Radio One is aimed at an older audience. The idea that young children will be listening to Derek Mooney is just laughable.

Funnily enough, the only radio programme on RTE Radio One that may cater for a younger audience, Derek Mooney, gets criticised whenever he mentions gay, sex, Jedward or X Factor.
    Derek Mooney might be on in the kitchen with children doing their homework. Quite apart from being irregular, children within earshot of Mooney would be common.

Blue stuff should be on after watershed, it's totally out of place in the afternoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It would take Mooney to tie an outside broadcast in Drogheda with a link to the Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

WhatAMelon wrote: »
    Derek Mooney might be on in the kitchen with children doing their homework. Quite apart from being irregular, children within earshot of Mooney would be common.

Blue stuff should be on after watershed, it's totally out of place in the afternoon.

Mooney announced at the start if the item that it wouldn't be suitable for children and advised parents to switch off if there were children in the vicinity. Can't say fairer than that. I assume you have selective hearing. Might want to get that checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

If he gave advanced warning, then fair enough. Matt Cooper does the same when he has the odd saucy segment on his show. Taking the "watershed" argument to an extreme, then would you have to edit the news segments as well?

If you happen to come across / tune in to a segment that you don't want your kids to hear, change the channel without making a fuss about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yakuza wrote: »
    If he gave advanced warning, then fair enough. Matt Cooper does the same when he has the odd saucy segment on his show. Taking the "watershed" argument to an extreme, then would you have to edit the news segments as well?

If you happen to come across / tune in to a segment that you don't want your kids to hear, change the channel without making a fuss about it.

Matt Cooper and others would get away without such a warning TBH.

There should probably be a warning for the Derek Mooney show, that it is absolute ****. (**** can say **** on boards.ie, I have been down this road before I just won't win with this argument of irony).

Brilliant Derek... you are also the only broadcaster that is state funded and yet still in debt... You're like the Manchester City of the broadcasting world..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

The Mooney show today oh the boredom, oh the frustration, oh the constant talk about nothing of any consequence whatsoever. Welcome to prime time dumbed down national radio; Mooney dumbs down the afternoons .... while Murray dumbs down the morning....

The Mooney show is like listening to a nature program for kids. Thats fine for children on a Saturday morning, but I expect something better on for adults every weekday afternoon. Radio 1 is supposed to be the national broadcasters premium station.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

Bobba Fett wrote: »
    Mooney announced at the start if the item that it wouldn't be suitable for children and advised parents to switch off if there were children in the vicinity. Can't say fairer than that. I assume you have selective hearing. Might want to get that checked out.
    I only listen to Mooney intermittently and indifferently (others rule the radio in my place:(), I'm expressing my views going on the accounts of my fellow posters. You apply warnings for graphic segments dealing with serious issues in exceptional cases not because a couple of yapping RTE poodles get hot and bothered talking about the pros and cons of humping inanimate objects on daytime TV on the flag ship national station.

Stick all that blue-stuff on after the watershed.

Mooney is cracking with nature and plants. Best in the business. Any other issue, he's a menace that only gets stroppy when challenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Bobba Fett wrote: »

I think there should be warnings given, when there is a segment coming up that isn't suitable for Adults. Such warnings would be frequent on the Mooney show.

/Jedward.

the kids think Santa is coming to visit them. they'll be gutted when they realise it's Jedward.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mary kingston you are an embarrassment to the county of cork( and thats saying something). Radio off.

"What movie experience did you get in jail?"

I learned how to copy DVDs.

Mooney and his band of Roving Reporters Outsourcers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well at least they're not trying to demonise the homeless or the underclass for once. The man's discussing a creative passion of his and it's humanising. Sure, he might also slit your throat for 2 euro but he might at least make a well observed literary reference while doing it.

They nicely moved past what that previous guy actually did to end up in court... It was everybody else's fault, for a change..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Had to turn off today when i heard those 2 freaks on today. Mooney is like an 8 year old girl with the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Same here, it was pathetic.

• Advertisement

See Mooney trying to cover up his mistake there.. He was meant to play "Ghost Town" for the empty streets of London .. how original... only he played it over the commentary of John Joe Nevin's fight instead..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement