Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

tui0hcg wrote: »
    got my invite yesterday and installed - looks great so far

Only problem is none of my contacts have Viber as they are all still awaiting their invite so I cant test
    Maybe I should pester some of my contacts that have an iPhone and get them to install

@Viber
    One question is - can this be installed on the SD card? It takes up a lot of space and I am wondering if it runs from the SD card. Might be a deal breaker if it wont work from SD as poor ol' Desire users have limited space on the phone for installs
    Try set up Link2Sd on your phone. It allows app to be fully placed on the SD card (inbuilt froyo way only moves part of the app) so they take up practically nothing. They even work when your phone is connected to your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

How do I get the latest Beta apk? I got the invite a few weeks back and installed it but I reflashed the ROM today and would rather install the latest version if possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Try set up Link2Sd on your phone. It allows app to be fully placed on the SD card (inbuilt froyo way only moves part of the app) so they take up practically nothing. They even work when your phone is connected to your computer.

Wow that app Looks like a winner. Phone not rooted but must take the dive soon.

Viber is kind of flakey when installed on SD card. I thought none of my contacts had Viber but after I moved it back to the phone and rebooted lots of contacts showed up. Still contacts seem to be dropping in and out so it's not a great experience so far. I will give her another spin and see how she fares!

Still its a massive 10mb. The biggest app i have (besides Flash) so its a real space hog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

@Kaiser2000

Download the latest version here: www.viber.com/download
    I will notify you (in this thread) of new versions each time it's released.

@tui0hcg

Viber *should* work on your SD card as a whole (as long as you have an application that connects your SD card to your device's storage, as suggested above), but we can't guarantee that it'll work smoothly.

We do plan to develop support of Viber in SD cards, but we don't know when it's going to be ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I've just signed up and downloaded the beta app there so hopefully will get to try it out soon, just waiting for the code to come through :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I've just signed up and downloaded the beta app there so hopefully will get to try it out soon, just waiting for the code to come through :)

Don't hold your breath just yet :)

@Viber
    How will we be informed of updates? Will we get an email as beta testers?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

You'll receive a text from Viber through Viber messages to inform you of the latest and a link to download

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I dont have access yet so can anyone let me know what the "Switch to GSM" from this screen shot does?

viber-android.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Can be used if the person your calling does not have Viber or is offline (Data wise) it then makes the call on the GSM network

• Advertisement

Anyone else seeing thier Viber contact list showing empty every once and a while? No apparent reason for this. Reboot fixes sometimes but not always. They just disappear and reappear a few hours later.

Posted as a bug in the Viber site but not got a reply yet.

HTC Desire 2.2 Froyo not rooted running launcher pro.

god's toy wrote: »
    Can be used if the person your calling does not have Viber or is offline (Data wise) it then makes the call on the GSM network

But thats in call? Does it stop the IP call first then dial out over gsm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

draffodx wrote: »
    But thats in call? Does it stop the IP call first then dial out over gsm?

yep, it makes a call on the gsm not data when you select it. suppose its a handy way of making a call if you try to ring someone on viber first but they don't have a active data connection.

Hi,
    Sorry for the late response:

1. @ tui0hcg - regarding being informed of updates: I will let you know in this thread, or you can follow us on FB, or you can check yourself at www.viber.com/download , or you will see a notification in your device through Viber. As you can see, it's going to be very hard to miss :)

2. About the missing Viber contacts problem - Enter Viber and find a person you know has Viber in the "All" contact list. Enter his details, change a digit, save and exit. Then enter his contact again, change the digit back (to the original, correct number), save and exit. Wait about 10 minutes and see if he's recognized as a Viber user now.

If it doesn't work, please try manually dialing the number in its FULL format (including the "+" sign, the country code, area code, etc.)

3. As for the Switch to GSM option - as mentioned above, it lets you switch from the data (Viber) call, to a regular cellular call. It is useful when the destination user is suddenly out of WiFi/3G connection, and you want to still use Viber's interface in order to make a regular phone call.

Got an update this morning (6.15am very rude!) Installed but it's jumped from 9mb to over 12mb - massive now the biggest app on my Desire.

Also I don't see any changelog. Would like to know what improved behaviour we have.

Sorry, I seemed to have forgotten to post the news of the update in this thread (the most relevant thread for Viber's beta version update! duh!)

What's new?
    - GSM interruption problem has been resolved, and other bug fixes.
    - Notification icon is back, and optional this time.
    - Battery consumption has been improved.
    - Viber is now integrated into Android's main contact list.
    - Synchronization of Viber contacts has been improved

About the size - unfortunately there is very little we can do :(
    I suggest you visit our support forums and find more and more people with Desire who complain about this. The issue is known, but the app contacts many features and these contribute to its size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I don't find the app to big. I'm using dhd though. For what it does its grand having to move one or two things if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Must be waiting a good 8+ weeks now at this stage....zzzz.

Last update seems to have caused a few issues. Mainly that my Viber contacts are showing blank and not updating
    I have tried the - edit a Viber contact and then re-edit - fix but its a bit flakey. Some times it shows all my Viber contacts and then when I go out and back in again they have all disappeared. Running 2.2 stock on HTC Desire. Wife has HTC Legend 2.2 and its works without fail all the time.
    I will log this in the issues section on the Viber website but wondering if anyone else is seeing intermittent issues with contacts.

Now that I think of it we have another issue where if I call my wife or visa versa via Viber it recognises our details and shows our contact picture etc but if I look at our call logs afterwards it just shows the telephone number and doesn't recognise the contact - asks me if I want to add the number to my contact list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Cianos wrote: »
    Must be waiting a good 8+ weeks now at this stage....zzzz.

I was waiting about the same length last week and got the link from Viber to download it last week. I'd say you should be getting it soon enough. Been very impressed with it so far.

• Advertisement

Viber wrote: »
    3. As for the Switch to GSM option - as mentioned above, it lets you switch from the data (Viber) call, to a regular cellular call. It is useful when the destination user is suddenly out of WiFi/3G connection, and you want to still use Viber's interface in order to make a regular phone call.

But you can just use the interface to place the call, the native phone app will then take over?

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Last update seems to have caused a few issues. Mainly that my Viber contacts are showing blank and not updating
    I have tried the - edit a Viber contact and then re-edit - fix but its a bit flakey. Some times it shows all my Viber contacts and then when I go out and back in again they have all disappeared. Running 2.2 stock on HTC Desire. Wife has HTC Legend 2.2 and its works without fail all the time.
    I will log this in the issues section on the Viber website but wondering if anyone else is seeing intermittent issues with contacts.

Now that I think of it we have another issue where if I call my wife or visa versa via Viber it recognises our details and shows our contact picture etc but if I look at our call logs afterwards it just shows the telephone number and doesn't recognise the contact - asks me if I want to add the number to my contact list

About the first contact problem - are you using a customized ROM? Sometimes this is the cause to the problem. Otherwise - we will look into it, and try to improve the contact sync mechanism.

Regarding the second bug - could you please elaborate? even add a few small screens to demonstrate.

About the first contact problem - are you using a customized ROM? Sometimes this is the cause to the problem. Otherwise - we will look into it, and try to improve the contact sync mechanism.

Regarding the second bug - could you please elaborate? even add a few small screens to demonstrate.

No not on a ROM - just stock 2.2 but I am running Launcher Pro. Wife is just running 2.2 on HTC Legend with regular Sense. The issue seems to be sorted now as I have not lost my contacts at all over the last few days.

On the second issue - I cant take screen grabs as I am not rooted but I will try to post a picture.
    What is happening is that all the Viber side of things are working fine i.e. when someone rings me their contact picture is displayed etc etc on the Viber screen. But when I go to the stock phone logs the call is displayed but the log is not recognising the phone number - it asks me do I want to add the number as a contact

As I say I will try to post a photo soon

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Are there any dates, definite or indicative, when this will be available as anything other than a beta?

@tui0hcg - thanks for the info, I'll be looking forward to seeing your snapshots.

@5starpool - unfortunately not yet. we are getting closer and closer now, but wouldn't want to guarantee false dates. As you can naturally understand, once less and less complaints come in, we will be able to finally start ready ourselves to releasing it to Market. I can tell you though that it won't take months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

@tui0hcg - thanks for the info, I'll be looking forward to seeing your snapshots.

@5starpool - unfortunately not yet. we are getting closer and closer now, but wouldn't want to guarantee false dates. As you can naturally understand, once less and less complaints come in, we will be able to finally start ready ourselves to releasing it to Market. I can tell you though that it won't take months.

Applied for my invite months ago at this stage and still nothing guys.....is there anything anyone can do?

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Applied for my invite months ago at this stage and still nothing guys.....is there anything anyone can do?

Cheers,
    M

Unfortunately there is nothing much we can do - the invitation mechanism is completely automated.
    Check your Spam folder. If it's not there, then a little more patience is needed.

At any rate - we are at the final stages of our Beta. There are no concrete dates for the official release to Market, but it's definitely coming up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Great to here!

Another update received this morning - I will test this version with my contacts issue and post results soon. First impressions is that it is much quicker to launch and seems to be an overall improvement in going through my contacts and call quality seems improved too

BTW - great to see that the size has been reduced. Down from about 12MB to just over 8MB (great news for us un-rooted Desire users that continually struggle with limited space for apps)

• Advertisement

Yep, a new Beta version has just been released - 2.0.109054.

What's new?
    - Specific device improvements and bug fixes

Download it here: www.viber.com/download
    Please make sure to report bugs here: http://blog.viber.com/viber-beta-support

Advertisement