Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICC considering 12 teams for next World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Just read the news after seeing it on SSN. Shocking shocking.
    For a sport that imo, among my own friends at least, is growing in huge popularity. This si terrible news and can only set the ICC back a few years in a tough time for icreasing popularity and exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Get onto our new minister of sport Leo Varadkar. He has an Indian father so hopefully a love of cricket is in the family ;)

http://www.leovaradkar.ie/?page_id=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Just heard the news now, truly depressing and disgusting news. What more can you say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Not shocking at all but truly disgraceful.

The BCCI and the ECB should be ashamed of themselves. The whole thing is a money fueled sham.

Look at the improvements Ireland has made in just a couple of short years of having 10-15 full time players? Imagine what we could achieve with another 10 years of that improving structure and the increased exposure the sport will now get?

I lived in the Carribbean for a year recently and I can tell you that cricket is a dying sport out there. They have no interest in it - it's all basketball and football. The current decline of West Indian cricket is a terminal one. Zimbabwe are another country to have moved drastically backwards in the previous decade. Why are these organisations - performing poorly, shambolically run and with gloomy futures ahead - getting supported while the fast develloping nation gets screwed??

A disgrace, a complete and utter disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I see that Sir Ronnie Flanagan (former chief constable of the PSNI and RUC) has been appointed as head of the ICC's anti corruption unit.

I suggest he uses this role to investigate his own employers.

I actually laughed when I saw the "Anti Corruption" heading on the ICC website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Not shocking at all but truly disgraceful.

This is a truly shocking decision. A ten team tournament was expected, but the qualification process that has been put in place is a huge shock.

I was hoping for a qualification process that would allow associate nations compete with the lower ranked test nations in order to qualify for the tournament.

The worst case that I expected was for qualification to be based on the ICC ODI rankings. Although Ireland are currently 10th in the rankings, this qualification method would allow the ICC to give Zimbabwe every opportunity to leap frog Ireland into 10th place, thereby qualifying.

But to eliminate teams such as Ireland from the 50 Over Cricket World Cup four years in advance because they don't play test cricket is simply bizarre. The backlash has been very strong so far, and hopefully it will get stronger.

Michael Vaughan and Andrew Flintoff have both described the decision as a disgrace via twitter. This article (http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/509549.html) on the Cricinfo website has over 300 comments, none of them in favor of the ICC decision.

I am looking forward to seeing how the worlds leading players will react to the announcement over the coming days, especially the Indian players who have made some very positive comments about Irish Cricket in the past few weeks. Michael Clarke spoke out prior to the decision being announced in favor of the associate nations. I wonder if he will make another statement given this decision.

This story has a long way to run. Lets hope Cricket Ireland can get some big names behind them in an effort to have this ludicrous decision overturned.

randomer wrote: »
    This is a truly shocking decision. A ten team tournament was expected, but the qualification process that has been put in place is a huge shock.

I made it about 80% chance of the ICC introducing a closed shop so it was not a massive surprise/shock. The BCCI thinks only with their pockets and they control the game because they control the money.

Shame on the ECB and Cricket Australia for letting it (or encouraging it?) happen.
    I was hoping for a qualification process that would allow associate nations compete with the lower ranked test nations in order to qualify for the tournament.

You were hoping for common sense and fairness to win out so. A 4 team qualification tournament (Bangladesh and Zimbabwe facing the top 2 associates who qualify from a larger tournament) would have been the sensible decision for all parties involved. Everyone involved in cricket around the world could bee this apart from the people making the decisions.

'Spincricket' summed up the lack of sense when tweeting:

So you can throw matches or have an admin that threatens players and you're fine. But show improvement and the ICC kick you out. Weird world

EDIT:
    I am looking forward to seeing how the worlds leading players will react to the announcement over the coming days, especially the Indian players who have made some very positive comments about Irish Cricket in the past few weeks.

This is an interesting point. Andrew Miller has good piece on Cricinfo about the decision. He basically says that the timing of the announcement is very smart as India will be completely distracted with what happened on Saturday. It's supporters who took a shine to Ireland will be celebrating and it;s players fulfilling duties before starting the IPL. It's a good time to go under the radar in India.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/509570.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I was so incensed by the decision I decided to wait until I had calmed down before posting. It hasn't worked.

Talk about the tail wagging the dog. This new tournament, the ICC Members' Cup or whatever it is - certainly not a World Cup - deserves the support it will get - 10 countries for and 95 against. Obviously it is about money and none of the 10 full members want to divide the cake in more slices, but their tunnel vision means they cannot see the potential for increased revenue if 95 other countries have the opportunity to qualify for what should be their showpiece. To try and fob all 95 off with the promise of allowing the plebs of cricket qualify for a 20-team T20 is an insult and is only an attempt at clouding the issue.

Warren Deutron is one of a 6-man committee of Chief Executives from Associate Nations and listening to him with Des Cahill this morning didn't give me much hope of any change in the ICC position. If someone like him who has right of attendance, but no vote, at ICC meetings, is only 50/50 at best hopeful of a change, then I think there is little chance of any campaign having a positive outcome.

That is not to say I am defeatist and will just roll over and accept the ICC decision, but to be realistic it is going to take some massive campaign to make them even consider a review of their idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I hope the next world cup is the irrelevant trash-heap it deserves to be.

Edit: I wonder if Hamish Marshall will still want to play for us now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Surely they can challenge this to Court of Sports Arbitration.

Even to challenge the brand of the World Cup. A world cup is a competition where all teams have an equal chance of competing in. Even in the Rugby world cup, so many teams try to qualify no matter how small

But at the end of the day, money talks and they are protecting their own interests. Plus England are not going to complain when they can snap up the likes of Dockrell and any other decent young player coming through

• Advertisement

kilns wrote: »
    Surely they can challenge this to Court of Sports Arbitration.

Even to challenge the brand of the World Cup. A world cup is a competition where all teams have an equal chance of competing in. Even in the Rugby world cup, so many teams try to qualify no matter how small

But at the end of the day, money talks and they are protecting their own interests. Plus England are not going to complain when they can snap up the likes of Dockrell and any other decent young player coming through

Dockrell is/was going anyway.
    This will just makes it more important to him.

TBH, unless this goes down, we may as well go back to the ECB with our tails between our legs looking for some county cricket. Its horrible to say, but what's the point? This floats and international cricket is dead to me.

Spirit of my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I hope the next world cup is the irrelevant trash-heap it deserves to be.

Edit: I wonder if Hamish Marshall will still want to play for us now?

I would like to see players boycott the world cup in protest.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've head from the ICC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I love how the most controversial announcement in recent ICC times can't be found anywhere on their official website. I'm tempted to email them telling them that I was devastated to hear the news that associates are cut from the world cup but relieved to see that it was only a rumour as there is no record of this on their website.

They have tonnes of news updates from today and the last few days so there is no excuse. Just want to see what theyve to say for themselves.

edit: Theres a tiny bit thats just passed over in one article and thats it. No reasoning for it either

I would like to see players boycott the world cup in protest.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've head from the ICC.

They won't though.
    Its about them and the reality is that if we aren't there, it will still be about them.

Boycotting the WC because the minnows aren't in would be mental.

Its telling that Freddie and Vaughn came out in criticism yet nobody out of the England playing staff, not even Morgan, have said a thing in anger....

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

If anyone feels like signing this,

http://www.petitiononline.com/wc2015/petition.html :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

This is a ridiculous decision, talk about shooting themselves in the foot. I don't see how limiting the tournament to the same old teams (especially considering Zimbabwe are ranked below Ireland) achieves anything positive apart from some short-term extra money for those taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

They're getting a bit of a Movement going on the official Cricket Ireland Facebook Page

Answer the poll and recommend the page to your mates as the more fans they get the better position they're in to put something across...

www.facebook.com/cricketire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Ireland coach slams ICC's 'despicable' decision

Tuesday, 5 April 2011 19:31
    Ireland coach Phil Simmons has added his voice to the growing condemnation of the International Cricket Council's 'despicable' decision to exclude associate nations from the 2015 World Cup.

Ireland captain William Porterfield and chief executive Warren Deutrom led the outpouring of emotion and disappointment yesterday after the ICC's executive board resolved to cut the next edition of the tournament to 10 teams and hand automatic qualification to all full member nations.

That means the likes of Ireland, who are currently ranked 10th ahead of Zimbabwe, have no chance to build on the positive aspects of their 2011 campaign - which saw Simmons' men capture the public imagination with their defeat of England as well as pushing the West Indies and Bangladesh close.

As a former West Indies Test player, Simmons can see the situation from both sides and he is convinced the move, which puts sides like his own into World Cup exile for a minimum of eight years, is wrong.

Simmons said: 'It is a dark day for cricket but a great day for greed and fear.

'It is hard to find words to describe this despicable decision made by some who want to keep things among themselves and some who fear us.

'There can be no cricketing reasons for this decision, as we answered the cricket question, the television rating question and we are the 10th-ranked nation in the world. What else is needed?

'I'm afraid the next World Cup will be like the American World Series - you are crowned World Champions but the world did not take part - congratulations to India on winning the last real World Cup.

'Finally - congratulations to ICC for pulling the game we love back 10 years.'

A Cricket Ireland statement confirmed they are actively pursuing ways in which the decision can be challenged.

It read: 'The decision was ratified, not surprisingly, by the full members themselves, who have shown themselves to be unfit for purpose or governance.

'Ireland are currently in discussions with their fellow associates and affiliates about the avenues of action left open to them following the shameful ruling by ICC.'
    rte

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

Porterfield was the best captain in the 2011 World Cup to be honest and Ireland generally were one of the top 2 fielding sides, if not the top fielding side. The team needs a couple more innings builders with the bat and at least 1 more bowler that is Dockrell/Johnston class. Also you need Johnston to be about 5 years younger because at his age hes not gonna be around for the next World Cup.

The problem with handing out test status is that it doesn't make sense unless you have a solid domestic first class structure. If you don't have this then you won't be producing players that can compete at test level. Both Zimbabwe and Bangladesh suffer for this because their domestic first class cricket is in disarray and has been for a while. Their test sides are pretty much international punching bags for other sides to bring up their batting/bowling averages and wicket hauls. Then again, we aren't talking about test cricket, we are talking about one day international so I'm not sure why test status even means a fig when it comes to the World Cup.

You won't see many English folk or Aussies kicking up a stink over this because it frankly won't make any difference. The only voice that carries weight is that of the BCCI and the PCB because they hold by the biggest cricket viewership block by a long long way. I mean the India/Pakistan semi final clocked a billion viewers and you can guess which countries had the most people tuning in.

So no, they don't give a damn if Ireland or the Netherlands or any associate team doesn't ever develop beyond what they are at now, because they will for better or worse chase the viewership figures and the associated advertising and sponsorship revenues. The only thing more messed up than real politics unfortunately is cricket politics.

I'm a pomme and Ireland has my vote for inclusion in the next world cup. I'll sign any petition I can find to that effect. The Ireland/England game was one of the most exciting matches of the tournament (though for me it was for all the wrong reasons. :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

such a conservative short sited decision - its like in rugby , if the 6 N kicked out Italy - yet one of the best games from recent 6N was Italy v France - shame on the cricket board - certainly helps to lose many recent converts to the game , including myself

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    such a conservative short sited decision - its like in rugby , if the 6 N kicked out Italy - yet one of the best games from recent 6N was Italy v France - shame on the cricket board - certainly helps to lose many recent converts to the game , including myself

No.
    It would be like if Rugby kicked fiji, tonga, samoa, japan argentina and all the rest of the tier 2 nations out and told them they could only play the 7s world cup.

WHich fiji or samoa would have a good shout at winning.
    So its not like that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Just something from our friend Mr.Lorgat,

Lorgat also said the ICC was pleased with the implementation of the Umpire Decision Referral System (UDRS) at the World Cup.

"DRS was successful. It has improved umpiring standards by more than five percent," Lorgat said. "There has been no blatant errors or no complaints from teams over decision that could have affected the outcome of the match." ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

d'Oracle wrote: »
    No.
    It would be like if Rugby kicked fiji, tonga, samoa, japan argentina and all the rest of the tier 2 nations out and told them they could only play the 7s world cup.

WHich fiji or samoa would have a good shout at winning.
    So its not like that at all.

wow - i was only giving an example ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

Cremated wrote: »
    Just something from our friend Mr.Lorgat,

Lorgat also said the ICC was pleased with the implementation of the Umpire Decision Referral System (UDRS) at the World Cup.

"DRS was successful. It has improved umpiring standards by more than five percent," Lorgat said. "There has been no blatant errors or no complaints from teams over decision that could have affected the outcome of the match." ...

Clowns!

In terms of a monetary decision (which lets be fair is how most if not all organisations really operate) it makes perfect sense to reduce it to 10 teams, expanding the game is pointless when you've got such a massive potential fanbase in the sub-continent. Its hardly a surprising decision and aside from the minority of people in this country who care nobody will really take a notice. Sad but true

I'm not agreeing with the above, just putting forward the obvious and logical thinking

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Harps wrote: »
    In terms of a monetary decision (which lets be fair is how most if not all organisations really operate) it makes perfect sense to reduce it to 10 teams, expanding the game is pointless when you've got such a massive potential fanbase in the sub-continent. Its hardly a surprising decision and aside from the minority of people in this country who care nobody will really take a notice. Sad but true

I'm not agreeing with the above, just putting forward the obvious and logical thinking

I know what you're saying but there is a few problems with that thinking. 10 teams alright fair enough, but which 10 teams? Surely the best 10 teams? Not according to the ICC.

And while yes it is mainly about the money for most governing bodies, taking soccer for example, FIFA proved it with their decision to hold the WC in Qatar, yet FIFA haven't compromised the integrity of the tournament by saying who can and can't qualify.

And if its just about money then why insist on keeping Zimbabwe involved? Surely at this stage Ireland must be as much of a draw on subcontinent tours as Zim? At the very least we have the potential to be bigger. Also how much tv revenue do tours of Zim generate? Keeping Zimbabwe a part of the inner circle is purely a political move

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Has a single active-player actually come out and said anything yet?

I'd imagine as theyre under contract theyre instructed not to say anything controversial, cant blame anyone in that sense

As for your other post, I'd largely agree with it, the Zimbabwe decision is probably a legal one in that excluding a test nation to our expense would lead to all sort of legal ramblings and it was probably easier to let them in instead of a top 10 ranking system.

Dont ask me about the details because I have no idea but in short I'd imagine it was easier to keep the present structure instead of breaking it up based on current form of associate nations.

Theyve obviously got a logical reasoning to their decision as much as we'd like to dispute it which is what I'm trying to get my head around

Has a single active-player actually come out and said anything yet?

And risk their IPL contracts????

Eoin Morgan is a disgrace for not coming out against it. I fully support the man playing for England and am proud of how successful he is but he needs to remember where he came from. He has tweeted since the announcement but has not said a word against it. Why? Because he is an IPL player. Another slave to the BCCI (Board of Complete C*nts from India) dollar.

EDIT

I may be harsh on Morgan here. Seems the ECB is looking to gag players according to the Indo:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/england-try-to-gag-irish-fury-over-exclusion-2611231.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

The best thing Ireland can do now to strengthen its case for inclusion in 2015 is to hammer the Pakistanis (not impossible) in May and catch England out (I'd have Ireland down as favourites for that one) again in July:).....

If that dosen't send a rocket up the a**es of the ICC (Oops sorry..I meant the BCCI) I don't know what will:mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement