Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICC considering 12 teams for next World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Cremated wrote: »
    A member from another forum received this back from the ECB,

Dear Katherine

Thank you for your email and your comments re the 2015 Cricket World Cup

ECB has been a strong advocate of meritocracy in the qualification process for the ICC Cricket World Cup. ECB supports the decision to manage the volume of cricket by reducing the number of global events to one in each format of the game in a 4 year period.

A qualification period for a 10-team World Cup, which is by far the best format for this event, needs to commence in 2013 and 2014 and ECB will fully support its introduction at the earliest possible stage.

With best wishes

ECB Feedback...

This is kind of odd.
    They'll support qualification if introduced (because theyll have to) but wont vote for it in the first place?
    I'd love to see what the original email sent to them was, i dont really get this reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Noo wrote: »
    This is kind of odd.
    They'll support qualification if introduced (because theyll have to) but wont vote for it in the first place?
    I'd love to see what the original email sent to them was, i dont really get this reply.

There was no vote to vote on was there?

Well speak out during the decision making process or however they decided to come to their wonderous decision

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

I asked the person for his/her original email to the ECB, I'll post it up here if I get it...

Great! i'm really surprised they got a reply, anyone know of anyone who has gotten any more replies?

• Advertisement

This is what the person on the Cricket forum said to me when I asked about the email he sent to the ECB,

'' I think I better not post it in full, I was a bit outraged. Basically I said that I was unhappy that the ECB were involved in removing the opportunity for associates to be in the world cup, that it's therefore not a 'world cup', and so I'd not see the point of following 50-over cricket any more. That I didn't see the point of watching domestic list A cricket any more, and I'd rather watch the IPL, domestic T20, and the T20 world cup.

Anyhow, it seems to be a generic reply from the ECB that they've sent out to anyone who emailed them. ''

now there is this on the Cricket Europe website,

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES4/articles/000007/000752.shtml ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I know very little about cricket but have been here in India for three months and there is a massive amount of good-will felt towards Ireland, due to cricket. It is impossible to over-stress how enamoured they are with the game here, it is played absolutely everywhere, on the beach, in fields, town squares, schoolyards. I was cycling through a small village the other day and kids were playing in a small square trying to bowl their way over a water buffalo that was sitting there quite unbothered. Almost everyone I meet has actually heard of the country now and they all know Kevin O'Brien... no-one was taking the India game for granted either. I snapped this front-page poll from the Times of India on the 17/03:

154548.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

I have to say, from reading comments on cricinfo and elsewhere, the support for Ireland from the fans on the subcontinent has been really heartwarming. It's good to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Interesting poll from India. I also think Shahrukh IS the most popular Khan in Bollywood :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Pauleta wrote: »
    Interesting poll from India. I also think Shahrukh IS the most popular Khan in Bollywood :cool:

Undoubtedly +1.

He is the only Khan I know of in bollywood.

• Advertisement

On topic, I think that is hot air from ECB.
    10 teams is a pile of my ass anyway.

12 with qualification is good.
    It doesn't matter though.
    The moment you attempt to devalue the premier competition in favour of matches outside that competition, you start down the slope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Trent Johnston on Twitter
    Zimbabwe have just withdrawn an invitation to play us in Sept. Very interesting stuff.....#cricket

:rolleyes: I cant blame Zimbabwe. They are only trying to protect themselves but with them actually being afraid to play us, it shows how much of a farce this is.

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES4/articles/000007/000771.shtml

'' Zimbabwe withdraw touring invitation to Ireland '' article from CricketEurope,

one of the main things from the article,

'' Ireland may have lost their place at the next World Cup but they could get up to 15 one-day internationals against Full Members each year between now and 2015 as consolation for their devastating omission.

That was the most positive result from Cricket Ireland chairman David Williams’ visit to India last week where he had a personal meeting with the chairman of the all-powerful Board of Control for Cricket India, Shashank Manohar.

“One of our ambitions is to increase our ODI exposure against full members to between 10-15 per annum and we received some support from full members to accommodate us. There is, without question, among all the Full Members chairmen I spoke to, considered to be very clear water between us and the rest of the Associates,” said Mr Williams.

What Williams did not receive was a positive intent for India to play a bi-lateral series with Ireland - they don’t even play ODIs against Bangladesh, their neighbours - but South Africa and, perhaps with their tongue firmly in their cheek, Bangladesh also give their support for increased ODIs between Ireland and the Full Members. ''...

That makes me sick.

The Zimbabwe situation d'Oracle?, it's bad alright :(...

Cremated wrote: »
    The Zimbabwe situation d'Oracle?, it's bad alright :(...

Yeah.
    Who was it playing them when their vicious ****heel dictator had them effectivly partially banned from playing?

We are clearly better than them too.
    If they want to get game, they should not be turning us down.

At least when they get their test matches back Bangaldesh will have someone to beat regularly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm not surprised at all, it looked like Zim had no intention of playing us again after the Intercontinental cup game back in September, when they forfeited the Scotland game it was obvious they liked to think themselves a level above the Associates, which seems to be their reasoning again here.

Rather unsporting and contemptuous.

I'd say most Zimbabwe fans are pretty disappointed too, from what I've seen on the net most of them would like the opportunity to prove that they are indeed better than Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

10-15 regular games isn't pretty good...

Were it ever to happen in a fantasy world.

• Advertisement

Statement up on cricinfo with Bvute and our own Warren Deutrom saying Zimbo not to blame,

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ireland/content/current/story/510923.html

Similar statement up on zimcricketforums (I'm actually a big fan of Zim on-field ;) ) , but at the end it says:
    That being said, it must be noted that the latter half of the year has been deliberately blocked for our domestic cricket as we endeavor to ensure that all our national players are able to turn out for their local franchise teams and they cannot do this if they are called to national duty. Our long term strategy is to grow our domestic cricket and increase the spectatorship numbers for our local games. The people in Kwekwe, Mutare, Masvingo and Bulawayo will only support their franchises if they can expect to see players that they can identify. The greater the crowds the more likely the corporate world is to further support the game. It is our hope that in the future, with these efforts, we will have a domestic competition that is in itself financially viable and sustainable.

All that is fair enough I suppose.

Bar one thing.

Are they Contractually obliged to play A sides?

The A tours might be 4 day games maybe? Zim are supposed to be going back to test soon enough I think.

What bugs me is how they say they've closed off half the season for domestic cricket (which I think is actually a good idea) but how long would a few odis against Ireland take, a week? So at most they would miss 1 domestic game if they scheduled it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

ICC is reconsidering the composition of the 2015 world cup. Hopefully the criticism aimed at them has woken them up to the injustice.

Decision likely in June, hopefully common sense prevails, and Ireland are at the least given the chance to play a qualifying game.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭Trampas

Do we know which test nations are in favour in allowing associate members in or if there are any.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Trampas wrote: »
    Do we know which test nations are in favour in allowing associate members in or if there are any.

Considering, the test line-up is not being sought to be re-jigged or expanded, the countries that stand to lose out on the revenue share from the WC are the ones most likely to be against. Add England to the list as the better associates - Ireland and Netherlands - always would raise their performance against England and therefore are at risk from a results standpoint!

Trampas wrote: »

According to the fall out from Zimbabwes cancellation, they were in favour of the associates.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

It seems they were in favour of the associates if there was 12 teams allowed in the world cup. Once India / England / Oz told them there would only be 10 teams in, they were happy enough to vote for the 10 full member world cup. I don't blame them, mind - turkeys voting for christmas and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

That's certainly encouraging news at least. You might almost wonder if the ICC had some shame.
    Time to step up any campaign I think to capitalise on this, if it's not sorted in June, that's probably going to be the end of it.
    I'd gladly take qualification based on the top 10 in the rankings at this point. It at least gives us something to fight for over the next 4 years. Hopefully Zimbabwe will give us some games soon too. They made themselves look very bad indeed with that cancellation.

Advertisement