Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICC considering 12 teams for next World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Potentially brilliant news.

Space will be watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I think 12 is the right number. There were too many dead games at this world cup.

I heard a few weeks back though that the 10 team 2015 tournament was set in stone and it would cost the ICC a fortune to change its structure. I'm not sure it was ever explained why it'd cost so much to change things?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭barrera

No, the complete pr1cks at the ICC have gone one worse: ten teams, with no qualification for associates. Is there a more corrupt and inward looking institution in world sport (and they have a lot of competition for that title)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

We have two Champions Trophy tournaments now, Haroon Lorgat please f**k off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

So, which of the articles is the later one?

I don't think it will matter really, because the ICC will not follow logic, as they have proved countless times before. The 10-team announcement was probably before the 12-team one given their past record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Mongarra wrote: »
    So, which of the articles is the later one?

I don't think it will matter really, because the ICC will not follow logic, as they have proved countless times before. The 10-team announcement was probably before the 12-team one given their past record.

Barrera's one is later. What a pile of F*****G B****X

ICC are a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So that's that then. Ten test teams with NO qualification until 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is anyone surprised, the Indian CB have been agitating on this for a while.
    A statement following the meeting read: "The executive board confirmed their decision, made in October 2010, that the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 in Australia and New Zealand and the ICC Cricket World Cup in England in 2019 will be a 10-team event.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/apr/04/icc-cricket-world-cup

"The board agreed that the 2015 World Cup will comprise the existing 10 full members, however, they gave notice to all full members that participation in the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup will be determined on the basis of qualification. It was also agreed that post the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 there will be promotion and relegation introduced in the ODI League."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Congrats to the ICC on effectively killing cricket in Ireland.

What a bunch of deplorable cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Cricket in Ireland will be on its deathbed in 8 years at the absolute best after this decision so the 2019 promise isn't worth a sh*te.

• Advertisement

I reckon a letter writing/email campaign needs to start pronto

KevIRL wrote: »
    I reckon a letter writing/email campaign needs to start pronto

I agree, been in the process of drafting a complaint letter to the ICC since I heard. Might be no harm getting the issue mentioned on Joe Duffy tomorrow, spread the outrage to a wider audience?

spiralism wrote: »
    I agree, been in the process of drafting a complaint letter to the ICC since I heard. Might be no harm getting the issue mentioned on Joe Duffy tomorrow, spread the outrage to a wider audience?

I abhor Joe Duffy, so would say no to that. However letters/mails should be sent also to Guardian, BBC, Telegraph, Aussie Papers, Sky. Everyone possible essentially

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭looseygoosey

cricket is sooooooooo BORING!!
    I wouldnt mind but its not even skilfull to make up for its boringness,such a backward game if there ever was one

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

A very regressive move by the ICC (not that they are known for progressive ones anyway).

But, with the 2015 tournament due to be hosted in Aus/NZ, was the Asian-bloc totally to blame? The likes of England certainly do not seem to want Ireland/Netherlands mixing with them in the WC - a bigger push by Eng/Aus/SA/NZ to have a 12 team tournament wouldn't have resulted in this scenario..

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭looseygoosey

reb47 nobody cares coz cricket is a useless game

reb73 wrote: »
    But, with the 2015 tournament due to be hosted in Aus/NZ, was the Asian-bloc totally to blame? The likes of England certainly do not seem to want Ireland/Netherlands mixing with them in the WC - a bigger push by Eng/Aus/SA/NZ to have a 12 team tournament wouldn't have resulted in this scenario..

Agree a lot with this. I think its very important that any campaign by Cricket Ireland and its suporters has to target these countries media as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

looseygoosey banned for trolling.

Agree a lot with this. I think its very important that any campaign by Cricket Ireland and its suporters has to target these countries media as well

All equally to blame imo, they don't want their tightly knit test clique broken

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Gutted, just gutted :(

I can't believe the ICC can't see the value Ireland bring to the World Cup...giant-killing, young exciting players like Dockrell and Stirling, two of the fastest centuries in WC history, the potential for a massive ex-pat following in OZ/NZ in 4 years time.

By making this decision they are giving the two-fingers to players who over the past few years have become tremendous ambassadors for both their sport and their country both at home and abroad.

It will be very hard for cricket to survive even at the levels it is at now (full time players, goodwill and sponsorship at an all time high etc.) with no WC on the horizon for at least 8 years. Shame on the ICC :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

It is a poor decision for Ireland and other associate country's I have not heard or read of any argument in favour of this new format (the ten test playing country's only)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Its a poor decision for Ireland and the other associate country's, how on earth do they expect to grow the game globally by shutting out the most successful associate nations?
    below are the reactions of some of the irish players to the decision on twitter

Gary Wilson: What is going on? Excuse the French but that is a sh*t decision! Not a world cup now, just a trophy with 10 teams. Heads up their own a***s
    Paul Stirling: @gwilson14 Didn't think u cud get a worse decision than ure lbw gainst the windies... I stand corrected ha!
    Trent Johnston: The ICC have certainly made my decision to retire after the 2012 T/20 World Cup very easy, thanks for the memories... #cricket #icc.
    Boyd Rankin: Thanks ICC!! What does Irish cricket got to do?? Shambles!!
    William Porterfield: Trying to compensate it with 16 teams in the T20, is that cuz they make more dollars by having a few more teams in this format by any chance!!#icc
    Niall O'Brien: mate just got of the field and I'm gutted with this news! This could halt the progress of irish cricket beyond repair. So sad now
    Barry Chambers (media manager): ICC - no morals - no sense of fair play or natural justice. They are a disgrace and unfit to govern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

sgb wrote: »
    It is a poor decision for Ireland and other associate country's I have not heard or read of any argument in favour of this new format (the ten test playing country's only)

I reckon the main reason for this is the ICC wants to have no dead-beat matches (in their opinion). However, if there are 2 groups of 5 there will always be matches that won't effect the outcome assuming that the top 2 quaify for semis or would they have 8 out of 10 qualifiying for quarter finals!

I think a campaign to change the name of tournment to "ICC Cricket (Test Playing Nations Only) Cup" could work - To brand it as a World Cup would be misleading. Do we have a lawyer here to advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Its despicable. I feel their should be an on field protest at the T20 World Cup.

HonalD wrote: »
    I reckon the main reason for this is the ICC wants to have no dead-beat matches (in their opinion). However, if there are 2 groups of 5 there will always be matches that won't effect the outcome assuming that the top 2 quaify for semis or would they have 8 out of 10 qualifiying for quarter finals!

The fukk up by the ICC was having too many teams get through to the knock outs. Make it just 2 to go through from each group and the vast majority of games this time would have had something at stake.

Should be 12 teams next time out - The top 2 in each group through to the semis. The bottom team in each group has to qualify the following time round. Means something at stake in all games, and also gives a big incentive to the associates as they could avoid having to qualify altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

This is truly hateful. I'm so angry I can barely begin to describe it. I can't imagine what the players must be feeling. If an international sporting organisation has made a decision that's brought the integrity of their sport into disrepute more than this I'd like to hear it. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

HonalD wrote: »

I don't think this is the reason at all.

Haroon Lorgat is an account.
    They are counting the beans.

They are horrible horrible slimey ****ers.
    Let them rot.
    Let them and their mouthy-**** captains of their precious test teams rot

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

Pretty deflationary decision. I'd love to know the politics of it, who's responsible, and who was sticking up for the associates. It's just naked self interest and transparent greed, really, and it's very disappointing. These clowns make Fifa look good.

I will say one thing, at least it's only one world cup and they seem to have some kind of plan after that for the associates to qualify. One world cup is still a lot of years though. I dearly hope it doesn't set us back too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The fukk up by the ICC was having too many teams get through to the knock outs. Make it just 2 to go through from each group and the vast majority of games this time would have had something at stake.

Should be 12 teams next time out - The top 2 in each group through to the semis. The bottom team in each group has to qualify the following time round. Means something at stake in all games, and also gives a big incentive to the associates as they could avoid having to qualify altogether.

Even 3 qualifying from each group would have been good in the last/next World Cup.
    Group winners go through to semi-final, 2nd and 3rd in each opposing group play each other in quarter finals.
    So there'd be a decent reward for winning the group, and three teams qualifying would likely lead to less dead rubbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Wow that's some properly **** news!!!

I was getting all excited here seeing how cricket was becoming popular in Ireland since Ireland's pretty descent performance in the World Cup and had big hopes for Ireland to only do better in the next WC, maybe qualify into the next round.

But this new decision from the ICC has ruined any such chances and made the future of cricket in Ireland very bleak...

I second the notion that we need to publicly protest this decision by ICC to not let Ireland play in the next WC. Hopefully the ICC can change their mind.

Maybe if Ireland does well in the T20 WC, it could change minds as well...

Whatever happens, the people shouldn't lose hope and the guys should keep at it at improving their game and make sure cricket stays popular in this country!!

Advertisement