Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICC considering 12 teams for next World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

And risk their IPL contracts????

Eoin Morgan is a disgrace for not coming out against it. I

agree , has he zero pride in being Irish - or perhaps he sees himself being 100 % English now - shame on him

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Mr November

A foolish and convetous descision by the ICC which will utterly destroy the development of and interest in cricket as a 'world game'...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

thebaz wrote: »
    agree , has he zero pride in being Irish - or perhaps he sees himself being 100 % English now - shame on him

You should check the previous posters edit. Players are being told to keep quiet about it:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/england-try-to-gag-irish-fury-over-exclusion-2611231.html

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

Harps wrote: »
    In terms of a monetary decision (which lets be fair is how most if not all organisations really operate) it makes perfect sense to reduce it to 10 teams, expanding the game is pointless when you've got such a massive potential fanbase in the sub-continent. Its hardly a surprising decision and aside from the minority of people in this country who care nobody will really take a notice. Sad but true

I'm not agreeing with the above, just putting forward the obvious and logical thinking
    I repectfully disagree. Throwing away the good work done by the associate nations in this way is the worst kind of short-termism. Reagrdless of the size of the fanbase on the sub-continent why would the administrators not want to grow the cricket fanbase worldwide? Doing that won't affect how many people watch cricket in India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh. If anything they should be looking to do things like giving Ireland and Holland "home" matches when the tournament is next played in England in 2019, one each in Dublin and Amsterdam would fit the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I repectfully disagree. Throwing away the good work done by the associate nations in this way is the worst kind of short-termism. Reagrdless of the size of the fanbase on the sub-continent why would the administrators not want to grow the cricket fanbase worldwide? Doing that won't affect how many people watch cricket in India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh. If anything they should be looking to do things like giving Ireland and Holland "home" matches when the tournament is next played in England in 2019, one each in Dublin and Amsterdam would fit the bill.

I seem to remember in the 1999 WC they had a West Indies game here during it. I wanted to go on the hop from school. It was the year i fell in love with cricket :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And risk their IPL contracts????

Eoin Morgan is a disgrace for not coming out against it. I fully support the man playing for England and am proud of how successful he is but he needs to remember where he came from. He has tweeted since the announcement but has not said a word against it. Why? Because he is an IPL player. Another slave to the BCCI (Board of Complete C*nts from India) dollar.

EDIT

I may be harsh on Morgan here. Seems the ECB is looking to gag players according to the Indo:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/england-try-to-gag-irish-fury-over-exclusion-2611231.html

Wow, not only have they effectively destroyed any chance the players had of being professional athletes for their country, the ECB are now threatening their county livelihood, very classy.

The silence from non associate player is pretty deafening to me, to think there isn't even one who cares more about the game than money is pretty disheartening, but not very surprising I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

wow - i was only giving an example ffs

And I was illustrating what a poor example it was....eh....ffs.

Also, who in gods name are you to judge Morgans actions or who is anybody else for that matter?
    No active England player has come out and said anything.
    You don't know the full story, so you should not be criticising people.

The silence from non associate player is pretty deafening to me, to think there isn't even one who cares more about the game than money is pretty disheartening, but not very surprising I guess.

Sorry, but this is bullshít.

"Hey you, remember all that hard work you put in trying to get good enough to earn a living playing a game you love? We would like you to jeopardise that opportunity to play said game because some country you don't play for have been given a raw deal."

The whole decision is ****house. But the ICC don't want to be criticised from within. They have shown what greasy corrupt little shít heads they are in the past with regard to players who don't pull the line (ICL anyone?) you can't expect players to mouth off and risk their livelyhood just cos you feel hard done by. Even if you are.

Also, I really feel that we are giving BCCI and PCB an disproportionally hard time here given that NOBODY seems to be shouting about Blighty in all this. ECB are up to their neck in this. Everyone in the Test game wants England tours. Cos they bring more touring fans than anybody else.
    Which gives ECB serious clout.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Sorry, but this is bullshít.

"Hey you, remember all that hard work you put in trying to get good enough to earn a living playing a game you love? We would like you to jeopardise that opportunity to play said game because some country you don't play for have been given a raw deal."

The whole decision is ****house. But the ICC don't want to be criticised from within. They have shown what greasy corrupt little shít heads they are in the past with regard to players who don't pull the line (ICL anyone?) you can't expect players to mouth off and risk their livelyhood just cos you feel hard done by. Even if you are.

Bs? So do you reckon if Sachin spoke out against it he would be banned from ever playing again? There are players who are big enough to speak out and get away with it if they cared about the game

And I was illustrating what a poor example it was....eh....ffs.

Also, who in gods name are you to judge Morgans actions or who is anybody else for that matter?
    No active England player has come out and said anything.
    You don't know the full story, so you should not be criticising people.

sorry Mr arrogant, I didnt realise Morgan was English ,

t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

The way to deal with this is to find a new Kerry Packer figure.

The threat of a rival international cricket organisation might bring them to their senses.

There are enough countries playing cricket to make it an option.

Bs? So do you reckon if Sachin spoke out against it he would be banned from ever playing again? There are players who are big enough to speak out and get away with it if they cared about the game

Can you back that up?
    I reckon the BCCI would have something to say about it, yes.
    Is the intimation that Sachin doesn't care about cricket?
    If it is then that is more BS.

sorry Mr arrogant, I didnt realise Morgan was English ,

t

There is nothing arrogant about disagreeing with you.

And nobody said he was English.
    Stating that morgan is not speaking out because he has no pride in being Irish is however extremely arrogant.

Condatis wrote: »

The threat of a rival international cricket organisation might bring them to their senses.

There are enough countries playing cricket to make it an option.

I think the test nation players want to play ICC cricket against top nations.
    I can't see that working these days.

There is nothing arrogant about disagreeing with you.

And nobody said he was English.
    Stating that morgan is not speaking out because he has no pride in being Irish is however extremely arrogant.

your put down to my comments have been extremly arrogant in my mind - no wonder cricket has such a pompous reputation ,

Can you back that up?
    I reckon the BCCI would have something to say about it, yes.
    Is the intimation that Sachin doesn't care about cricket?
    If it is then that is more BS.

Do you honestly think Sachin couldn't get away with it? Honestly?
    Indian fans are some of the most passionate in the world, I'd say any attempt to censure a local hero like Sachin for speaking up would lead to a huge public outcry. The BCCI couldn't dare touch their 'god' after winning a world cup.

And yeah I reckon he cares about cricket alright, but in a pretty selfish way. But that seems the be the way things are in cricket nowadays

your put down to my comments have been extremly arrogant in my mind - no wonder cricket has such a pompous reputation ,

No they haven't.
    Your Rugby comment was pointless and irrelevant. They are not similar situations.
    There is no comparison between cricket and rugby at an organisational level.
    I pointed that out and then you went off on one with your ffs and such.

Your Comment on Morgan was ignorant and I treated it as such. You failed to inform yourself at all and then made a hugely harsh judgement of a player. It was an arrogant and not deserving of respect. The you launched a personal attack on me because I didn't just agree with you.

This comment, where you have just criticised the entirety of cricket based on how you perceive cricket as well as how you perceive me.

Do you honestly think Sachin couldn't get away with it? Honestly?
    Indian fans are some of the most passionate in the world, I'd say any attempt to censure a local hero like Sachin for speaking up would lead to a huge public outcry. The BCCI couldn't dare touch their 'god' after winning a world cup.

And yeah I reckon he cares about cricket alright, but in a pretty selfish way. But that seems the be the way things are in cricket nowadays

I reckon he could yeah.
    And I would welcome it.
    But I think if you expect him to be some messiah for Ireland right now, you are being naive.
    Its not his place and he has never been one to speak out or court controversy.
    And to imply he is selfish to not come screaming out about it is absurd.
    I'd also point out that he is basically exceptional in this regard.

We are small fry. Its unfair but its not Sachin Tendulkars job to ensure development of the game.

Also I would point out that you mentioned no test nation player coming out and saying it. Most test nation players still want to play cricket and are earning a living from playing cricket. That point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

What is the FA Cup without the lower league teams? The League Cup...and look at the reputation that has, it lacks the excitement of the minnow.

So heres the plan...Get the Associates to hold their own world cup. 32 teams, 8 groups of 4 format. Promote it in the qualifying countries like theres no tomorrow and get it on the national tv stations...imagine the ratings (if properly promoted) with the likes of china, usa, brazil cricket teams battling it out in a major tournament. The associates have nothing to lose and everything to gain so you can guarantee the games would be more exciting than the other 10 countries'. Imagine turning on a tv and saying "wow i didnt know antarctica had a team...and theyre playing easter island...thats so cool". You of course invite ALL countries to participate in qualification as a gesture of good will, of course 10 will decline. You then hold it just before the ICC World Cup 2015...so by the time theirs starts everyone will be in love with the minnows and flick off the tv at the boredom of seeing england play australia AGAIN.

This of course will never happen, its just a little daydream i've created :)
    And Ireland winning it too :D

I reckon he could yeah.
    And I would welcome it.
    But I think if you expect him to be some messiah for Ireland right now, you are being naive.
    Its not his place and he has never been one to speak out or court controversy.
    And to imply he is selfish to not come screaming out about it is absurd.
    I'd also point out that he is basically exceptional in this regard.

We are small fry. Its unfair but its not Sachin Tendulkars job to ensure development of the game.

Also I would point out that you mentioned no test nation player coming out and saying it. Most test nation players still want to play cricket and are earning a living from playing cricket. That point still stands.

I didn't mean that I was expecting Sachin to save Irish cricket, he is just the best example of a player who has a status within the game that the ICC couldn't just threaten them like the ECB are doing to the Irish county players.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine Easter Island and Antartica are probably Affiliates.

No they haven't.
    Your Rugby comment was pointless and irrelevant. They are not similar situations.
    There is no comparison between cricket and rugby at an organisational level.

perhaps i think your posts are irrelevant, but i dont dismiss them with such arrogance

you have got rid of one cricket boardy - due to your arrogance

goodbye sir

I didn't mean that I was expecting Sachin to save Irish cricket, he is just the best example of a player who has a status within the game that the ICC couldn't just threaten them like the ECB are doing to the Irish county players.

I get that.
    I just don't think there is anybody else who would enjoy that status.
    Punter maybe? He just contradicts himself week to week.

Also I reckon the teams have already been told to stay schtum and I just feel its unfair to expect them to do it. If they do it, I will be the first lad clapping my hands, but you can't expect it from them.

perhaps i think your posts are irrelevant, but i dont dismiss them with such arrogance

you have got rid of one cricket boardy - due to your arrogance

goodbye sir

If you stop posting cos of me it won't bother me one bit.
    You will only spite you.

I'm sorry if I upset you so much. But I felt you were talking rubbish and I called it as I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

C'mon IRELAND......beat Pakistan next month and show the world what they will miss in 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Condatis wrote: »
    Mr D(enis) O'Brien to reception please, Mr D O'Brien.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

HonalD wrote: »
    Mr D(enis) O'Brien to reception please, Mr D O'Brien.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I reckon its 50/50.

I mean you had Kerry Packer = good.
    But lets just cast our minds a year or two back to the last time a stupidly rich man decided to shake up cricket.....

sir_allen_stanford.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Paddypower getting behind the lads with a petition,

http://paddypowerblog.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/sign-our-petition-let-ireland-play/

and Michael Vaughan was on the BBC Breakfast show yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

A member from another forum received this back from the ECB,

Dear Katherine

Thank you for your email and your comments re the 2015 Cricket World Cup

ECB has been a strong advocate of meritocracy in the qualification process for the ICC Cricket World Cup. ECB supports the decision to manage the volume of cricket by reducing the number of global events to one in each format of the game in a 4 year period.

A qualification period for a 10-team World Cup, which is by far the best format for this event, needs to commence in 2013 and 2014 and ECB will fully support its introduction at the earliest possible stage.

With best wishes

ECB Feedback...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

The silence is deafening.

I believe the ICC really expected this annoucement to go unnoticed. They never expected such a massive backlash from all over the world, and their solution is to ignore it.

They need to defend this controversial decision in order to prevent more damage to their corrupt reputation, but they are choosing not to (because they arent able to?)...their silence speaks louder then their words ever could.

Advertisement