Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We can rebuild her!"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Ah the Markevicz, the warmest gym in Ireland with no AC. I used to say i was a trinity student in there long after i was a student to get in for half price :) I lived across the road in trinity plaza and it was convenient but i hated the place. I'm sure the pool is fine though.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Plan for today - 45 minutes steady. 8km in a hair over 45 minutes + 2km easy to get back to my apartment. Total distance covered 10km / 6.22 miles (it was 9.96km to the door of my building, there was a tiny out and back added to make up the distance :pac: ), average pace overall 9.11/mile. Average HR 161/max 177.

To be honest? I've had better. I'd planned the route so that I would be climbing for the first 5km, and almost entirely downhill (straight down Chesterfield Avenue) after that, and after that first 5k I really did want to give up! Think I need to have some harsh words with my central governor, it's being a right silly fecker. Maybe I broke it in Barcelona :pac:

It's also bloody shocking how much effort it took to run 9 minute miles :eek:

Plan for today - 70 minutes easy. Absolutely gorgeous evening for running, relatively cool and the sun was shining, so I was a little bit on the bold side and stretched the run out a bit. 13.09km / 8.13 miles, 10.13/mile average pace, average HR 153/max 169. That was lovely, really enjoyed it. Longest run since Barcelona :D

28.3 miles for the week, very happy with that - a good solid week overall.

Yesterday - stretching and strengthening work. Kinda need to do more of that :pac:

Today - plan was 45 minutes easy, and I did pretty much exactly that. 7.32km / 4.55 miles, 10.02/mile average pace, average HR 156/max 174. Enjoyable run, nice and relaxed through the park with the sun setting, lovely stuff. :D

Intervals tomorrow (6x400). Will probably head to UCD if I remember to bring my running gear to work with me - if anyone wants to join me, give me a shout. :cool:

Yesterday - stretching and strengthening work. Kinda need to do more of that :pac:

Today - plan was 45 minutes easy, and I did pretty much exactly that. 7.32km / 4.55 miles, 10.02/mile average pace, average HR 156/max 174. Enjoyable run, nice and relaxed through the park with the sun setting, lovely stuff. :D

Intervals tomorrow (6x400). Will probably head to UCD if I remember to bring my running gear to work with me - if anyone wants to join me, give me a shout. :cool:

Long way out to UCD for just 6 x 400m wouldnt you say. Couldnt you do it on the Trinity cricket pitch or the polo grounds in the park?

You giving out tshirts again on Saturday? :)

• Advertisement

Probably could, yeah, but I like getting out to the track. :pac: If I did them on the Trinity cricket pitch, could probably get them out of the way at lunchtime though...

Haven't volunteered yet, haven't decided if I will or not. Have to go home to De Mammy on Friday night because it's her birthday...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You could have done 400's with us tonight. In the park at the same time as us probably too. :p

Is that a subtle "Join Donore" hint? :pac:

Probably could, yeah, but I like getting out to the track. :pac: If I did them on the Trinity cricket pitch, could probably get them out of the way at lunchtime though...

Haven't volunteered yet, haven't decided if I will or not. Have to go home to De Mammy on Friday night because it's her birthday...

The lanes should still be on the track, usually are for a few months after the races there. Its about 500m around the outside otherwise. Won't be much students around which makes it easier, except for the dunces studying for the repeats :p

Your going home to get mammy to do the washing/cooking for you isnt it, birthday me arse!

Is that a subtle "Join Donore" hint? :pac:

I'm just sayin' :pac:

• Advertisement

Didn't get out to UCD in the end - it was nearly 7 by the time I got out of work, so I decided that the more sensible option was to go home, grab a very quick snack and head up to the park just after 8. Did my intervals in the polo grounds, nice place to run apart from the lingering whiff of horse excrement. 6x400m with 200m jog recovery, splits were between 1:52 and 1:58 in each case. Total distance covered 8.39km / 5.21 miles, average pace overall 9.28/mile, average HR 156/max 183.

Happy with the session overall - I don't want to die in a heap after speedwork as much as I did a month ago, which can only be a good sign. :)

Plan for this evening - 45 minutes easy. Did 7.35km / 4.57 miles @ 9.43/mile average pace. Average HR 152/max 169. Was pretty meh for the first mile (doesn't help that the steepest uphill of my entire run happens at this stage too), but felt pretty good after that. Seriously contemplating a short recovery/pre-emptive penance run tomorrow before work, my team at work is going for a meal at lunchtime and then a full-on Mammy Dinner in the evening... oh the gluttony :pac:

Probably going to either have to do my run on Saturday at a silly hour of the morning, or during the race. Option two is more appealing right now :pac:

Plan for today - 15 mins easy, 15 mins at HM pace, 15 mins easy. Did 15 easy, 15 at pace, ran over to watch the finish of the 10 mile, and then ran back to my apartment. Total distance covered 10.39km / 6.45 miles @ 9.17/mile average pace. Average HR 164/max 182. First 15 minutes felt tough because I was more than a little hung over, but meh. Was ok once I got going with the HM-paced stuff, even if that was starting to feel a bit tough towards the end. Kinda cheated a little though by doing the pace stuff as 3 laps of the polo grounds rather than over anything hilly! Got speeded up a little too on the way down from the race finish by running with Brian for some of it. Enjoyed the run though today once I'd sweated all the beer out!

Now to Ryans. :pac:

Today's planned run was 70 minutes. Ended up doing the same loop as last Sunday, which takes about 80 minutes, and I only remembered that halfway through :pac: 13.15km / 8.17 miles, 9.53/mile average pace, average HR 150 / max 169. First 5km of the route is slow dragging uphill and there's a bit more variety after that, and that's pretty much exactly how I felt on today's run. Pretty meh starting out, and it definitely got better as things went on.

Just under 29 miles for the week, so very similar to last week overall. Happy with that. :)

5 weeks until I'm racing again. I've had 2 good training weeks now, another few would be really nice...

Had some time with the foam roller last night, either my ITB is behaving itself nicely or I'm becoming immune to the Grid! :pac: Bit of stretching and core work too.

Plan for tonight - 45 minutes easy. Did 7.3km / 4.53 miles @ 9.52/mile average pace, average HR 150 / max 171. Nice and easy, felt pretty good out there this evening. I wonder does having a long downhill down the Kyber as part of this loop count as cheating though? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

It's great to see your mileage creeping up again.

I think "creeping up" is exactly the right term for it! It's around 2 months since I got back on the road after that bug, and it's only in the last 2-3 weeks that I'm starting to feel in any way good about my running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I think "creeping up" is exactly the right term for it! It's around 2 months since I got back on the road after that bug, and it's only in the last 2-3 weeks that I'm starting to feel in any way good about my running again.

I don't know if I could have been that patient. But it has paid off and you're back again......

Hills this evening - warmup, 6x45 sec reps, jog/walk back down recovery, cooldown. Moving into my apartment has meant not having that "lovely" big hill at Bohernabreena close by, so hills were done at the Magazine Fort. Did the reps on the grass because I forgot there was tarmac on the other side of the hill, so recoveries involved picking my way down rather delicately! 6.01km / 3.73 miles covered, 10.30/mile average pace (told ye those recoveries were slow!), average HR 152/max 181.

Run up to the magazine fort and back down again? :eek:

• Advertisement

Plan for today - 45 minutes easy. Kinda needed this for sanity reasons after getting an hour-long one-to-one grilling on financial maths in work. :eek: Did 7.35km / 4.56 miles, average pace 9.57/mile, average HR 156 / max 212 (the good ol' Garmin HRM spike strikes again). Took a little while to get going, but was pretty good after that. Also decided that it's still a bit too warm for the DCM long-sleeve shirt :pac:

Very tempted to crack open the bottle of red wine right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

[QUOTE

Very tempted to crack open the bottle of red wine right now...[/QUOTE]

do it it's nearly the weekend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Very tempted to crack open the bottle of red wine right now...

That's what I'm doing right now :D Rest day tomorrow, I deserve this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's what I'm doing right now :D Rest day tomorrow, I deserve this.

Me too. Love rest days :)

Thanks to a bit of bad planning yesterday (had aimed to get my run done in the morning, but spending several hours watching athletics put paid to that), I ended up heading out quite late in the evening to do the planned session (15 mins easy, 10 mins HM pace, 800m easy, 10 mins HM pace, 15 mins easy). Only got half of it done too - got caught in a really, really heavy rain shower and decided to call it rather than plough on (I need to HTFU :( ). Pity, was feeling really good too at HM pace. Overall - 4.72km / 2.93 miles @ 9.20/mile average pace, average HR 155 / max 178.

Missed yesterday's run due to having a bit of a dodgy tummy all day, so headed out for an unscheduled short one this evening to try and make up for it. 6.76km / 4.2 miles @ 9.54/mile average pace, average HR 143 / max 167. Felt pretty good throughout the run, pretty happy overall. Definitely getting colder these evenings, was very tempted to break out the capris instead of the shorts!

After ending up working from 8.30am-8pm today, I badly needed my run when I got home. Plan was 50 minutes easy, ended up doing around an hour easy because I slightly underestimated certain distances in the park! (Note to self, a headtorch should be on your shopping list)

Total distance covered 9.51km / 5.91 miles, average pace 10.13/mile, average HR 152/max 169. Good run, but the lack of a proper evening meal was starting to tell towards the end - mega munchies of death for about the last 2-3km!

Had another godawful long day in work yesterday (8.30am-8.30pm, bleurgh), realised when I nearly fell asleep waiting for the bus home that doing any sort of speed session probably wasn't my best move. So I did yesterday's planned session today, 15 mins easy, 15 mins at HM pace, 15 mins easy. HM-paced section was at the polo grounds, mostly at about 8.30-8.40/mile pace (which is probably faster than what my HM pace should be at the moment, but meh). Overall 7.53km / 4.68 miles covered, average pace overall 9.36/mile, average HR 159/max 181. Spent the first few minutes of this wondering if I'd have anything in the legs at all, but once I got going it was fine.

Going to try and squeeze in today's scheduled easy run before work tomorrow, can't do it after work because I have somehow been roped into shopping for debs shoes in Dundrum with my sister tomorrow. /dies

(btw, if anyone's around Snow and Rock while the sale is still on, BodyGlide is €8 a stick - buy it before I get there and buy more :pac: )

• Advertisement

Much respect to Racheljev, MarySamsonite and all the other morning runners out there... that was an exercise in misery. I'm not a morning person at the best of times, so a 7am alarm with a trip to the Phoenix Park at the end of it wasn't really appreciated! Did 5.1km / 3.17 miles @ 10.10/mile average pace, average HR 147/max 169. "I've had better" is putting it mildly. :pac:

Advertisement