Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Had my Felt Q920 taken on me last week along with my lawn mower a part from looking on done deal/gum tree etc anyone know of other sites that I could check.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Had my Felt Q920 taken on me last week along with my lawn mower a part from looking on done deal/gum tree etc anyone know of other sites that I could check.:mad:

If it's last week you're possibly too late; there's an Indymedia article about the zen of bike theft suggesting various places; couple of years old now.

@donkey_balls, perhaps if we set up a sting to steal all the ministers' bikes we might get some action ;)

First thing I am going do is reinforce the shed door and keep an eye on done deal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrdylanhiggins

CHERRY RED DAWES STOLEN IN DUBLIN CITY CENTER.

JOHN O'KEEFFE SIGNED ON CROSSBAR....

ONE OF A KIND.

SINGLE SPEED.

LOVINGLY HAND BUILT AND USED DAILY

PLEASE SHARE!!!

...........REWARD.............

213onq9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Check bikes section on adverts.ie too. Some shady stuff going on there at times.
    First thing I am going do is reinforce the shed door and keep an eye on done deal etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I put two extra latch bolt locks on my garage door two weeks ago to supplement the regular lock. Less than €10.
    Cheap security measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

My bikes stay in the house. Won't ever see the inside of the current shed.

Planet X wrote: »
    I put two extra latch bolt locks on my garage door two weeks ago to supplement the regular lock. Less than €10.
    Cheap security measure.

I am in the process of claiming for the bike and lawn mower off the insurance but before I even replace the bike the shed is going get fitted with extra locks/bolts, Plus some of that anti intruder paint on the garden wall the Garda who stamped the insurance form told me that since the bike to work scheme began there has been an increase in high value bikes getting stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

My Cube Hyde (shadow black) 2012 Hybrid was stolen on 23/08/13 from the underground garage of Longboat Quay South, Hanover Quay.

Bike was secured to a bike rack with ABUS cable lock and there was an ABUS D-lock on the frame and back wheel.
    €100 set of locks, may as well have tied it up with a piece of string.

CCTV captured 2 little scumbag teenagers cutting the cable lock and walking out with the bike. They probably took it somewhere else to pop the D-lock.

€800+ down the swanny!
    Garda in Pearse St basically said the bike was gone, but if the thieves are known to Gardai then they would call around "for a word".
    Apparently there are plenty of dodgy fix-em up shops and internet cafe's where these scumbags can sell them on for €50, not to mention donedeal, adverts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

jayneemac wrote: »

CCTV captured 2 little scumbag teenagers cutting the cable lock and walking out with the bike.
    Garda in Pearse St basically said the bike was gone, but if the thieves are known to Gardai then they would call around "for a word".

Surely "for a prosecution" if they're identifiable on CCTV stealing your €800-worth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Spotted this on DD. I felt so sorry for the poor guy so I hope it helps to get him his bike back.

http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/rewards-500-euro-i-was-crying-/5745892

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

CJC999 wrote: »
    Spotted this on DD. I felt so sorry for the poor guy so I hope it helps to get him his bike back.

http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/rewards-500-euro-i-was-crying-/5745892
    That's terrible.... Sounds like a snatch and grab while he was in a shop or something... Hope he gets it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

That's absolutely terrible, poor guy must so mad with rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I wouldn't charge the chap a cent if I came across his bike. Poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Poor guy, (and everybody else who had their bike stolen here)
    It is a very recognisable bike. I cycle around the city alot, I'll keep an eye out, a success story would be very welcome, it happens occasionally and I hope ths is one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On a good news story, a friend of mine was in Ranelagh on Thursday night (which seems to be under a bike stealing epidemic at the moment). Popped into Milanos to get food, as he was sitting there he seen three gardai around his bike, which he had locked across the road. He thought, oh sh1t, it slipped and someone tripped. So he got up and ran over.

Turns out a little scrote was mid stealing his bike, had broken the lock and was about to leg it when two lovely ladies walking by, copped what he was at, one grabbed the bike and started shouting while the other called the gardai. The guy struggled free and legged it sans bike.

While not good in that the thief got away, it was good that my friend still has his pride and joy, big thanks to the two ladies if you read here.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

johnk123 wrote: »
    That's terrible.... Sounds like a snatch and grab while he was in a shop or something... Hope he gets it back.

There something not right about that add.... As just a day earlier there's a set of mavic wheels for sale with a picture of the exact same bike ... Under a different name and number ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yesterday morning the tv ended up being left on Channel 5 and Police Interceptors was on. They started a piece about the Lake District and how it's so popular with cyclists but there's been a blight of thefts of bikes from cars, hotels etc so they had a one guy cruise around in an unmarked car. He spotted a transit van driving into lots of different car parks so followed it and kept an eye from afar watching them up to something in one particular one. Eventually he pulled it over, 2 guys in the front and one in the back with a couple of grands worth of bikes.

Now the proactivity there alone was impressive enough, but when it went to court they each got a minimum of a 3 year prison sentence (not sure if it was suspended or not) and a lifetime ban from Cumbria. We could only hope for that type of policing when it comes to bike theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Encouraging to be sure but
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    2 guys in the front and one in the back with a couple of grands worth of bikes.

They had 1 and a bit bikes?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Don't get it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

dogsears wrote: »
    They had 1 and a bit bikes?;)

This probably isn't the best thread to be cracking jokes about theft..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Today my bike was stolen in Loughlinstown between 1 o'clock and 4 o'clock. It was a giant defy 3 2010 edition. It had a second pair of breaks added, gator skins, look keo blacks pedals, a rear quick release mudguard and a yellow bottle cage. They are about the only identifying features on the bike. Guards have been contacted and fortunately it was insured, doesn't make me feel any better about it. Having your bike stolen just leaves you with such a sinking feeling. This is one of the few images I have:
    1375021_4999822767027_2099569981_n.jpg?oh=9a414096f232580a2beba948d2cf973a&oe=524BAD35

And this is my poor lock that I found lying on the ground.
    1378529_4999821286990_1927247154_n.jpg?oh=e0b566c7e95b4b2c2e8c1a24ba53f6bb&oe=524B983E

Posting here probably isn't gonna achieve anything but this place is full of helpful people so I thought I might as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I really am sorry for your loss................but that lock! Why oh why would you have such a ****ty one?

It's possible even a good/expensive lock might not have been enough to stop the bastards that stole it, but that one seems sorely lacking. I don't mean to moan at you, I' know that awful feeling of having the bike stolen *3 times*, but that lock just screams "not good enough". I have three locks on mine, one a kryptonite Ulock.

Hope you get it back OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I really am sorry for your loss................but that lock! Why oh why would you have such a ****ty one?

It's possible even a good/expensive lock might not have been enough to stop the bastards that stole it, but that one seems sorely lacking. I don't mean to moan at you, I' know that awful feeling of having the bike stolen *3 times*, but that lock just screams "not good enough". I have three locks on mine, one a kryptonite Ulock.

Hope you get it back OP.

Thanks mate, and about the lock, it was very unfortunately only the second time ever that I have only used one lock since I have started commuting to Loughlinstown. I usually also use a Kryponite and another cheep lock, but I was away over the weekend and brought them with me and left them there. It wouldnt have been an issue for me to get them next weekend but its no use now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

@glass prison: pardon the question, was the theft from the medical facility at L/town or between L/town and Cherrywood? I'd be worried if it was up by/near the Luas as that is an open area with quick access to the M50 and N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 finb1

finb1 wrote: »
    My Bike was stolen from the Rathfarnham area yesterday evening/last night (24.09.13). If anyone sees it around or has any info I would really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Bike recovered . Two detectives caught the guy near the house the same night it was stolen. He was known to Gardai. Very lucky to get it back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

finb1 wrote: »
    Bike recovered . Two detectives caught the guy near the house the same night it was stolen. He was known to Gardai. Very lucky to get it back.

Jaysus, your one of the lucky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Treplev

Bike stolen outside of NCI in IFSC on Sunday night 29/9/13 at 11:45pm. Chased by security guard but just got away. Was seen cycling up past Mace in the direction of Sheriff Street. It is a Parkland Gold Rush bike as seen in this photo. Reported it to the guards and have been keeping an eye out online. Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks for any help.

Treplev wrote: »
    Bike stolen outside of NCI in IFSC on Sunday night 29/9/13 at 11:45pm. Chased by security guard but just got away. Was seen cycling up past Mace in the direction of Sheriff Street. It is a Parkland Gold Rush bike as seen in this photo. Reported it to the guards and have been keeping an eye out online. Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks for any help.

Since my bike got nicked I have been looking on done deal/ gum tree adverts.ie also the Gardai have a section on their website for recovered bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Standing outside clerys 30 mins ago. Few lads with their hands neatly down their tracksuit bottoms talking about the fight they just had with another bunch when along comes their mate showing of the bike he just robbed. Falcon mountain bike similar to this one. Few years old but in good nick. If its yours rest assured it has a new home.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/d4e/259/2a6/45502/product_page/falcon-storm-2010-mountain-bike.jpg

Advertisement