Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LugsB

Well done for approaching them about it and not just walking past.

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Stopped a bike theft in the IFSC today.

One scumbag was trying to twist the bike from the bike rack.

Walked up and took out my phone and said - leave the bike I have you on camera.

One lad said leg it, the other said he was going to remember my face, come back and kill me! lol

Few minutes later I saw the guards by the rack so I walked out and explained that what I had seen. Thankfully they had caught the scumbags and had confiscated 2 huge cutters from them.

When I looked at the bikes u-lock it was seriously close to breaking.

It appears no bike is safe anywhere. What a sad world we live in. Bike theft is just not taken seriously enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Well done ucd.1985 - good technique with the phone, I need to remember this just in case.

Was the frame damaged BTW? I always thought that a thin-walled tube should give before the ulock does.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

Red brand new carerra hibryd (the best bike I never had :( ) stolen from clonsilla train station monday 26 during working hours, from 8am to 5 pm... the rack is the one just in front the main street, and there is a huge cctv on it.... Both locked snapped and found them in the trash bin....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rezzo82

myxi wrote: »
    If anyone had 2 bikes stolen last night (Monday) in the Richmond Road/Richmond Avenue area they are with the guards in Clontarf. 3 little scumbags were apprehended on Richmond Road by 2 people coming home from work! Not giving any details out about the bikes just in case.
    They were stolen around Richmond street?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Gabriele wrote: »
    Red brand new carerra hibryd (the best bike I never had :( ) stolen from clonsilla train station monday 26 during working hours, from 8am to 5 pm... the rack is the one just in front the main street, and there is a huge cctv on it.... Both locked snapped and found them in the trash bin....

I am gutted for you :( It's just the pits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dossier

My silver Giant Defy was nicked from the bike racks outside Rustic Stone on Georges Street between 12:30 and 5pm today (Saturday).

I normally bring my battered old raleigh into town because noone would bother stealing it but it had a flat today and I was in a hurry. Had 2 cable locks on the Defy, which were entirely insufficient and were cut through with some sort of 'hot' cutter - the plastic was melted and kind of charred.

This is the only time I've ever brought it into town and it's a busy area so I thought it would be okay for a few hours on a Saturday. Learned my lesson!!

Looks like the below but has Gatorskins (orange writing on sides), a mount for an odometer, slots for removable splashguards, a clip under the saddle for a toolbag and pedals with straps. Also covered in mud from Gaelforce!

Longshot but let me know if seen, thanks.

GIAN_13_DEFY_2_1.jpg?width=532&height=375

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sounds like they cut through them with a handheld grinder, the heat from the blade is what melted the plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I think at this stage it's safe to assume you should never bring anything resembling a nice bike into Dublin City Centre. I can't believe how much thieving goes on and so little done about it. I hope I never have to post on this thread.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Sounds like they cut through them with a handheld grinder, the heat from the blade is what melted the plastic.

Idll (rearrange as u will) specials strike again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

dossier wrote: »
    My silver Giant Defy was nicked from the bike racks outside Rustic Stone on Georges Street between 12:30 and 5pm today (Saturday).

I normally bring my battered old raleigh into town because noone would bother stealing it but it had a flat today and I was in a hurry. Had 2 cable locks on the Defy, which were entirely insufficient and were cut through with some sort of 'hot' cutter - the plastic was melted and kind of charred.

This is the only time I've ever brought it into town and it's a busy area so I thought it would be okay for a few hours on a Saturday. Learned my lesson!!

Looks like the below but has Gatorskins (orange writing on sides), a mount for an odometer, slots for removable splashguards, a clip under the saddle for a toolbag and pedals with straps. Also covered in mud from Gaelforce!

^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Speedy_ Gonzales

We had two bikes stolen about 3 weeks ago, Dolan Ares, Red and Grey with alot of paint chipped off, Dura Ace under 16 gears, Giant TCR SL 1 2013, Ultegra, grey, under 14 gears. Presumed to be in Swords area (by nGardaí). Stolen from Brown's Barn outside Clondalkin. Very easy to spot the Dolan as it is custom painted and very high saddle height (also has yellow and green tape on handlebars and crank). Giant had different wheels than pictured. Neither of the bikes had chains when stolen. Any info/suggestions appreciated, cash available for any relevant info. Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found. (excuse weird saddle angle on the Dolan :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dossier

Zyzz wrote: »
    ^

I think it's pretty clear from my post that I acknowledge my naivety but your snide little highlighting / "^" has really been a helpful contribution. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Sorry to hear about your bikes. where did you have them stored ?

i keep mine in my Spare room not a chance in hell will i keep them out the back..

more then likely keep an eye out on donedeal, ebay and adiverts. they could pop up within them within the next month or so, the person who took them will more then likely wait for about a month or so before putting them up on the site, and keep an eye out on the free adds on your local paper..

on top of our car, then went for food, went back out they were gone, on the way to a race aswell... (in donegal, from cork)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

thats fuPcked up !! just went for food and back again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Speedy, Amazing how the cops could guess they are in Swords.
    Long way for average scum to go to rob a few bikes.

Living near Swords myself maybe you could expand on that info.

AmberGold wrote: »
    Speedy, Amazing how the cops could guess they are in Swords.
    Long way for average scum to go to rob a few bikes.

Living near Swords myself maybe you could expand on that info.

They were after buying a cheap car at an auction in Raheen presumably just to go around stealing stuff. It was seen on CCTV while the bikes were being stolen and again in swords area a week later.
    All info that was given. 3 men in a ****e car is what you're looking for I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

dossier wrote: »
    I think it's pretty clear from my post that I acknowledge my naivety but your snide little highlighting / "^" has really been a helpful contribution. Cheers!

Besides, until we abandon this concept that the owner is to blame when the bike is locked poorly, we will never be able to tackle the theft escalation at its source.
    Can we get a definition of poorly?
    How many cables locks and at what thickness are they considerd 100% theft-proof?

An angle grinder can go through any of the most expensive u-lock, padlock, cable lock and combination lock: I am at a stage that every time I go into town, I don't enjoy what I am doing because my mind inevitably goes to my bike, thinking if I locked it in the right place and in the right way.

I am convinced that these bikes are stored somewhere before being shipped, still the authorities can't be bothered to even attempt any kind of measure to prevent these crimes or at least recover the property (e.g. a simple bait with gps tracker would answer a lot of question).

I am thinking about a spring mechanism that eject a pole from the seat and a row of spikes from the handles as this, in my eyes, would be the only solution and well deserved punishment for these scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

darconio wrote: »
    How many cables locks and at what thickness are they considerd 100% theft-proof?

An angle grinder can go through any of the most expensive u-lock, padlock, cable lock and combination lock: I am at a stage that every time I go into town, I don't enjoy what I am doing because mi mind inevitably goes to my bike, thinking if I locked it in the right place and in the right way.

Most thefts don't involve angle grinders, which are noisy and draw attention. Cable locks can be snipped silently and are therefore not sufficient for urban centres.

A u-lock (used properly) plus a cable for the front wheel (or a security skewer) is usually sufficient.

I reckon some bikes (e.g. fancy mountain bikes that appeal to scummers) increase the risk of theft but with any other sort of bike the thieves don't know or care how much it costs. Having a cheaper bike may not reduce the chance of theft much, but it reduces the loss if it does get nicked.

Don't they cut off your hand if the police catch you stealing? I'd be in favour of bringing that here..you get caught stealing a bike? You lose a finger/hand

• Advertisement

Don't they cut off your hand if the police catch you stealing?

That'd be sharia Law and the Muslims can keep that. I'd rather lose a bike.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    That'd be sharia Law and the Muslims can keep that. I'd rather lose a bike.

:pac:

I meant for bike thieves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/dear-bike-thief-stolen-wheels-recovered-with-a-prank-on-the-perpetrator/article14036358/
    ‘Dear Bike Thief’ – Stolen wheels recovered with a prank on the perpetrator
    Bike mechanic Gordon Robb says he’s not one to be a vigilante.
    But that’s what he became last week, when he and his friend Quentin Matheson repossessed Mr. Matheson’s stolen bike, and left a funny calling card as a prank for the thieves.
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Don't they cut off your hand if the police catch you stealing? I'd be in favour of bringing that here..you get caught stealing a bike? You lose a finger/hand

You mean a bike thief might have an unfortunate industrial accident involving careless handling of tools :D

aloyisious wrote: »
    You mean a bike thief might have an unfortunate industrial accident involving careless handling of tools :D

I mean if they are caught stealing a bike, irregardless of the cost, they lose a finger. Im not one myself but if that was the case I certainly would cease and desist :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Brego888

Sigh

My Focus Variado (Red) noted stolen today from the "secure" underground carpark in my apartment block in Dun Laoghaire.
    Used bolt cutters to cut through 2 locks i was using.
    Carpark has no cctv.
    I hadn't used my bike in a month as i was injured and was looking forward to going out for a spin today.

Picture is it brand new. Its 3 years old.

On a side note what are my rights as a tenant in relation to claiming from the management company for the theft?
    I don't have any contents insurance but the carpark was supposedly secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Brego888 wrote: »
    Sigh

My Focus Variado (Red) noted stolen today from the "secure" underground carpark in my apartment block in Dun Laoghaire.
    Used bolt cutters to cut through 2 locks i was using.
    Carpark has no cctv.
    I hadn't used my bike in a month as i was injured and was looking forward to going out for a spin today.

Picture is it brand new. Its 3 years old.

On a side note what are my rights as a tenant in relation to claiming from the management company for the theft?
    I don't have any contents insurance but the carpark was supposedly secure.

I'd imagine there's probably a clause in your lease in regards to the carpark, or there might even be signs that say "property is left here at your own risk" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Doubt theres a carpark left in the country that takes responsibility for owners property if there ever was one in the first place to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vuxlor

HI all,

This is my first tread so I hope it's in the right place!

My Bike was stolen from outside my work in Finglas on Thursday 29th. Caught the guy on CCTV at 13:41 but it's too blurry for a proper ID.

It's a limited edition wine and white colored Trek City / Road bike and has white walled tires. It also has a box attached just above the peddles for inserting a child seat.

I'll upload a pic once I find one. I reported it to the Guards already but they've left me less than hopefull...

It was just repaired as I was hit by a car 3 months ago cycling back to work and was only just using it again. It looks almost new, except for on the handlebars. The right grip is loose, the plastic bit on the end broke off so the grip slides a bit.

If anyone sees a bike like this or happens across someone selling or just bought it could you let me know please?

Thanks
    Vuxlor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Vuxlor, no help, I'm afraid, but if I were you, I would remove the serial number of your bike from your post.

Advertisement