Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Passing cyclist takes photo of bike thief, result: five months' jail for thief:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10664599.Cyclist_took_photos_of_York_bike_thief/

In jail, the thief got off drugs, ate healthily and regained his health, and qualified as a bricklayer.

Abus warns that social media sharing could lead thieves to your bike

http://www.bikebiz.com/index.php/news/read/strava-leads-thieves-to-your-door-warns-abus/015310

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Abus warns that social media sharing could lead thieves to your bike

http://www.bikebiz.com/index.php/news/read/strava-leads-thieves-to-your-door-warns-abus/015310
    That's been a known concern for some time, and is part of the reason Strava allow you to have a "privacy" setting that excludes portions of your ride within a set area (which you can set-up to include your home)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

Just to let folks know, the scrots around Pearse street area forced open the electronic gates to our office block on Tuesday night. They robbed two bikes belonging to lads who were working late.

The large chain and lock where no issues because they just cut through the bike rack instead !!!

So if you are working late or leave your bike locked overnight then consider bringing it into the office. At the moment we have a stack of about 20 bikes in the corner of the office as no one wants to leave them in the car park.

So much for security and CCTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Well, my beloved Defy 3 was stolen from Grand Canal today. See picture of her attached. Was locked with a kryptonite series 2 lock and flex cable to a proper bike post, came out from work around 7pm and whole lot was gone, no sign of lock left behind either.

Briefly:

Giant Defy 3 2010 model (black and yellow)

Size M

BBB pedals

Kenda Konteder tyres

2 x bottle cages (one black, one silver - see pics)

front mudguard missing (see pic), rear BBB mudguard

Really wish I could have her back but not holding out much hope. Stolen in a busy area, presume the thief would have had to spend a while at it. Going to check if there's any CCTV around, but in the meantime reward offered for information leading to return.

Please see below and high quality pic also attached. Thanks folks :)

CWno7ZG.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Well, my beloved Defy 3 was stolen from Grand Canal today. See picture of her attached. Was locked with a kryptonite series 2 lock and flex cable to a proper bike post, came out from work around 7pm and whole lot was gone, no sign of lock left behind either.

Really gutted for you :(

A Brighton nurse whose bike was stolen left a note: "Please return my bicycle; it is old but loved ♡ and will be frightened without its owner" - and the repentant thief brought it back!

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/12/thief-sees-pleading-note-and-brings-back-bike-3960241/

There are good thieves!

Today's story of bike thieves:

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/biking/Who-Pinched-My-Ride.html?page=all

Interesting article about a probe into the murky world of bike theft.
    I WANT MY BIKE BACK. So do we all. With the rise of the bicycle age has come a rise in bicycle robbery: FBI statistics claim that 204,000 bicycles were stolen nationwide in 2010, but those are only the documented thefts. Transportation Alternatives, a bicycle advocacy group in New York City, estimates the unreported thefts at four or five times that—more than a million bikes a year. New York alone probably sees more than 100,000 bikes stolen annually. Whether in big biking cities like San Francisco and Portland, Oregon, or in sport-loving suburbs and small towns, theft is “one of the biggest reasons people don’t ride bikes,” Noah Budnick, deputy director of Transportation Alternatives, told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oarsman

Hello fellow cyclists

My Cube Reaction was stolen on Wednesday night at 9pm. I work in the Academy on Pearse street (the old cinema building), opposite the new trinity sport building. My bike was locked with a heavy lock to a heavy duty bike rack at the time, inside a secured garage. The thieves - from CCTV looks like 5 guys, maybe 6, physically forced the gate into the garage and ran in with large pincers. Instead of attempting to cut the lock, they snipped through the heavy-duty bike rack, after which it took a few of them to bend the bars back, after which they ran off carrying the bike with the lock still on it, presumably to use an angle-grinder or similar on the lock in a more convenient location.

They exited the garage which is at the back of the building and headed along the rear alley towards lombard street, or perhaps into the flats out the back. Building security speculated they were heading down towards the flats further down along or near pearse street, down towards ringsend or the docklands.

It sounds almost professional but from the - poor quality - CCTV footage, they look like a bunch of regular scobes/scumbags. Young enough lads, late teens or early twenties.

Another guy had his brand new bike stolen as well - they only took 2 bikes out of about 15 bikes that were locked onto the bike racks at the time. The thefts have been reported to the police in pearse st station.

My bike is extremely recognisable - I am attaching a photo of it below.

I'm keeping an eye on gumtree, donedeal, adverts etc and the garda flickr bicycle page.

Any information or viewings would be really appreciated - I loved that bike! :mad:

Large image: cubereaction.jpg

271695.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

A few days ago, I saw a cut cable-lock by the bike racks across from CineWorld. Today I saw another snipped lock there, this one cut at two points. It seem's that that bike rack spot is NOT safe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

aloyisious wrote: »
    A few days ago, I saw a cut cable-lock by the bike racks across from CineWorld. Today I saw another snipped lock there, this one cut at two points. It seem's that that bike rack spot is NOT safe.

CineWorld and the general area has never been safe for locking bikes. The Aldi only a short distance up the road has been mentioned a few times in thread. I have had staff/friends telling me not to lock their when I was in college many moons ago. A friend recounted almost getting the sh1t slapped out of him for confronting a thief there, Unless the bouncers in the Woolshed are working and they have seen you walk in, your bikes are unsafe up there. That said, the stories are always of those with cable locks getting ripped open. Opportunity knocks for those scummers. I always carry 2 U's and often an extra lock on top when I am heading to the cinema.

• Advertisement

I always carry 2 U's and often an extra lock on top

It seems this is the only way anymore, multiple locks, and hopefully of various kinds.

That said, the poor guy above who had the bike rack cut open shows us that in some cases absolutely nothing except standing guard over the bloody thing will do.

I have a fantasy that were I to win the lotto or something I would set up a crack team of undercovers to map out the city and catch these thieving bastards in the act. I can't share what happens next as it may violate a law or two somewhere lol....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fatbiker

These intrepid cycle tourers had their bikes stolen in Galway yesterday. It may be too late, but if anyone is offered these for sale, be alerted..
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=342410&v=62

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Fatbiker wrote: »
    These intrepid cycle tourers had their bikes stolen in Galway yesterday. It may be too late, but if anyone is offered these for sale, be alerted..
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=342410&v=62

That's ffing terrible. I posted on their Guestbook a few days ago welcoming them to Ireland and explained to them what the ladies cycle race they witnessed in Co. Clare was.
    Unbelievable crap altogether!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Amazingfun wrote: »
    It seems this is the only way anymore, multiple locks, and hopefully of various kinds.

That said, the poor guy above who had the bike rack cut open shows us that in some cases absolutely nothing except standing guard over the bloody thing will do.

I have a fantasy that were I to win the lotto or something I would set up a crack team of undercovers to map out the city and catch these thieving bastards in the act. I can't share what happens next as it may violate a law or two somewhere lol....;)

Dublin is scum bag central, there doesn't seem to be as much a scum bag problem in other cities I've visited. Not saying they're perfect but other countries are pretty good at dealing with them. It's been allowed to fester here with little effect so I can see how visitors here are caught off guard - in particular our cycling tourists above

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Dublin is scum bag central, there doesn't seem to be as much a scum bag problem in other cities I've visited. Not saying they're perfect but other countries are pretty good at dealing with them. It's been allowed to fester here with little effect so I can see how visitors here are caught off guard - in particular our cycling tourists above

Yes, Dublin is pretty bad in the bike-theft department (I've had three stolen in the 8 years I've lived here, grrr) but those poor folks on tour had theirs stolen in Galway of all places. I feel awful for them, really hope they catch the bastards who did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

It really is a problem that is escalating out of control. The gardaí have dozens of unclaimed bikes in their possession that are auctioned off every so often. It would be an idea surely to set up a trap in a theft prone area with one and keep it under surveillance. Obviously manpower resources are limited, but I don't see many other ways of catching thieves in action. Dangle a nice bike in front of a thief though and I don't think it will take too long to catch one.

It really is a problem that is escalating out of control. The gardaí have dozens of unclaimed bikes in their possession that are auctioned off every so often. It would be an idea surely to set up a trap in a theft prone area with one and keep it under surveillance. Obviously manpower resources are limited, but I don't see many other ways of catching thieves in action. Dangle a nice bike in front of a thief though and I don't think it will take too long to catch one.

I'd say this will work - but only if it's done regularly, and accompanied by public ridicule. I'd really love to see one of the TV prank programmes pranking would-be bike thieves.

Stealing bicycles is an awful thing to allow, because it's easy, it's profitable, and it turns good boys bad. Many's the man who might have had a decent life and a proper job but has sunk into the pointless sub-life of the petty thief because he successfully stole a few bikes as a lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

and accompanied by public ridicule.

What would constitute public ridicule - I propose the Mick Byrne, on a Dublin bike, in a shiny tracksuit. That'll learn them.

I'd say this will work - but only if it's done regularly, and accompanied by public ridicule.

The other issue is some of them would love the attention, its not going to get hard time or even a substantial fine. A decent solicitor and/or being broke will sort out these issues for them. You have to understand, for alot of the scum that get up to this behavior, they are not ashamed and they won't ever be.

Lads love attention; they don't like public revelation as langers.

• Advertisement

Lads love attention; they don't like public revelation as langers.
    You misunderstand, I didn't mean "lads", I meant the toerags who don't see a future doing anything else. Some seem to love the revelation that they are thieving scum and seem to revel in the fact that they stood and didn't look ashamed, head down to the courts one day and you'll see what I mean, big grin on their face as they get away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist regardless of the offence. It is of little wonder to me that the Gardai don't bother pursuing alot of the cases when all they get is a smug grin from the scumbag as they walk out the door of court.
    Might work in small towns but not in the big cities IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

CramCycle wrote: »
    You misunderstand, I didn't mean "lads", I meant the toerags who don't see a future doing anything else. Some seem to love the revelation that they are thieving scum and seem to revel in the fact that they stood and didn't look ashamed, head down to the courts one day and you'll see what I mean, big grin on their face as they get away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist regardless of the offence. It is of little wonder to me that the Gardai don't bother pursuing alot of the cases when all they get is a smug grin from the scumbag as they walk out the door of court.
    Might work in small towns but not in the big cities IMO.
    They wouldn't be stealing if they didn't have a ready market of buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Moved house to Harolds Cross a week ago, had the bike in a shed (our garden's back wall backs onto another road in the estate), bike gone this AM :(:(.

2012 Giant Defy 2' red/black colour scheme, front tire was a Continental due to a recent mishap, back tire was a regular Giant SR-2.

No bottle cages, detachable back mud guard and regular front guard on it. Also had the fittings for the lights to attach onto (front one on the handlebar, just to the left).

I'm absolutely sick to the stomach with rage.

Pic here - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_uk/bikes/models/images/2000/2012/Defy_2_compact.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Moved house to Harolds Cross a week ago, had the bike in a shed (our garden's back wall backs onto another road in the estate), bike gone this AM :(:(.

2012 Giant Defy 2' red/black colour scheme, front tire was a Continental due to a recent mishap, back tire was a regular Giant SR-2.

No bottle cages, detachable back mud guard and regular front guard on it. Also had the fittings for the lights to attach onto (front one on the handlebar, just to the left).

I'm absolutely sick to the stomach with rage.

Pic here - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_uk/bikes/models/images/2000/2012/Defy_2_compact.jpg[/QUOTE]

My commiserations, had to be a local tea-leaf, too soon after your move for it to be chance-find by him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 finb1

My Bike was stolen from the Rathfarnham area yesterday evening/last night (24.09.13). If anyone sees it around or has any info I would really appreciate it if you could let me know.

273200.jpg14042012567.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Two bike thefts featured on RTE's Crimecall last night. It doesn't seem to be available on the player.

One was the theft of a bike from an underground car park on Shelbourne Rd Dublin from Sept 2012. Just a bit mad that they would take a year to show the CCTV footage.

The other was the theft of a BMW bike somewhere in the midlands - never knew there was such a thing as a BMW bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

RainyDay wrote: »
    Two bike thefts featured on RTE's Crimecall last night. It doesn't seem to be available on the player.

One was the theft of a bike from an underground car park on Shelbourne Rd Dublin from Sept 2012. Just a bit mad that they would take a year to show the CCTV footage.

The other was the theft of a BMW bike somewhere in the midlands - never knew there was such a thing as a BMW bike!

Bit ridiculous to do it a year later... What RTE needs is an investigative show on bike theft in the capital... get some attention from the public towards to problem.

As for the BMW bike, I've seen them in the showrooms before and in catalogues etc. Most are just a marketing tool or raffled... Friend of mine's father won an Audi one a few years back after he purchased a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah couldnt believe that when they read the date out last night, what were they thinking? Think there was a bit of a "F*** it that'll do" attitude in play there.

johnk123 wrote: »
    Bit ridiculous to do it a year later... What RTE needs is an investigative show on bike theft in the capital... get some attention from the public towards to problem.

Not just the capital, though the capital is particularly bad. What about Nationwide - or is that Dublin-free? Is there a Dublinwide? And what about TV3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Not just the capital, though the capital is particularly bad. What about Nationwide - or is that Dublin-free? Is there a Dublinwide? And what about TV3?

in fairness, how many posts in here do you see from other counties? Dublin is the problem spot.

Advertisement