Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Blue Trek 7.1fx (22) stolen from Inchicore today. Cut through a kryptonite lock. Getting CCTV tomorrow which should show the theif, reckon it was and the local kids though and therefore don't hold up much hope of getting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SheilaA

Almost new bike stolen yesterday at Coolmine train station - we need more secure bike parking facilities. They cut right through an Abus U lock with extention cable locked in a busy commuter train station car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

My Giant Escape 2 was stolen just off Nassau St yesterday. Normal locking spot was occupied so I locked it to a lamp post, but it was too big for the u-lock so I looped the cable around the post. Stupid in retrospect. Should be CCTV but they likely waited until it was getting dark and I doubt we'll see a face. Reported it but don't have much hope.

500 quid down the tube :/

Definitely keeping the next one inside the office whether it fits properly or not, just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bike auction this evening @ 17:30, could they have picked a worse time for anyone with a job?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/11/07/buy-your-bike-back/#comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Shur if you had a job you'd be able to afford a car and wouldn't need a bike...

• Advertisement

AltAccount wrote: »
    Shur if you had a job you'd be able to afford a car and wouldn't need a bike...

I love having the privilege of paying through the nose to sit in traffic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I reckon my Trek (posted above) was stolen by local kids. Has anyone put up posters around the local shops offering a reward with no questions asked and had any success? Thinking of doing this. It would kill me handing over money to a bike thief but it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I'd very much doubt they'd have kept it. They sold it to someone else who sells stolen bikes.

You'd be hoping someone would dob in the thief themself, but you'd have no proof etc. to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Mods think of printing the theft posts off when they reach 100 pages and handing them to the Depyartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jonppb

It always the same with these stolen bike auction, all low end stuff. Most of them appear to be kids bike and not one racing bike in the whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Do the Gardai not recover any road bikes? Or do they disappear or return to their owners in Garda custody? It's always puzzled me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mods think of printing the theft posts off when they reach 100 pages and handing them to the Depyartment?
    No - it's a public site and the information contained here is accessible by all. Why should the onus be on the mods to do something when they have plenty to do already? You are, of course, welcome to do so yourself should you wish

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Yeah feel free Qualitymark, but it's not our responsibility more than anybody elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EvaCat

My was bike stolen in Limerick outside Supervalu Grove Island Corbally Tuesday evening Oct 29th. Black/dark pink Falcon Montare ladies bike. A bit rusty. Brought me to work and back. Would love to see it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Maybe a timely reminder just to make it that little bit harder for the bike thiefs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn3vUCdxX6o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Paddigol wrote: »
    Do the Gardai not recover any road bikes? Or do they disappear or return to their owners in Garda custody? It's always puzzled me.
    Probably because road bikes tend to be more expensive and therefore the owners are more likely to pursue it, have proof of ownership etc.

High end road bikes tend not be left locked up in public and if stolen are probably sent further away by the thieves. Also high end road bikes are less likely to be disguised -i.e. who's going to buy a carbon bike that has been sprayed/painted.

Probably because road bikes tend to be more expensive and therefore the owners are more likely to pursue it, have proof of ownership etc.

High end road bikes tend not be left locked up in public and if stolen are probably sent further away by the thieves. Also high end road bikes are less likely to be disguised -i.e. who's going to buy a carbon bike that has been sprayed/painted.

I would see this differently.

These bikes are extremly desirable, hence the numbers being stoken weekly, if they want it, they wil get through any lock or secure building, as seen in this tread.

I would also be of the opinion that people are willing to buy sprayed painted, mix and match bikes provided they are at the right price.

A demand exists which is increasing the number of thiefs particularly with high end road bikes.

And I ask the question, how many high end road bikes in this tread have been found and or returned by the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jonppb wrote: »
    I would see this differently.

These bikes are extremly desirable, hence the numbers being stoken weekly, if they want it, they wil get through any lock or secure building, as seen in this tread.

I would also be of the opinion that people are willing to buy sprayed painted, mix and match bikes provided they are at the right price.

A demand exists which is increasing the number of thiefs particularly with high end road bikes.

And I ask the question, how many high end road bikes in this tread have been found and or returned by the guards?
    I'm not sure Boards would have access to this data. Perhaps if you were to go through the thread again, and PM each contributor who reported a bike stolen, asking for an update...?

You could produce a pie chart or something.

:pac:

Yeah feel free Qualitymark, but it's not our responsibility more than anybody elses.

If some random Boards user does this it will be seen as just that. If Boards itself presented the data to the Department with publicity and the message "We have a real problem here, what's being done about it?", this would be quite different.

But if Boards doesn't want to do this, fine.

endacl wrote: »
    I'm not sure Boards would have access to this data. Perhaps if you were to go through the thread again, and PM each contributor who reported a bike stolen, asking for an update...?

You could produce a pie chart or something.

:pac:

It was a rhetorical question.

Rhetorical pie chart. I like pie.

• Advertisement

Jonppb wrote: »
    It was a rhetorical question.

Rhetorical pie chart. I like pie.

But your audience likes bar.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If some random Boards user does this it will be seen as just that. If Boards itself presented the data to the Department with publicity and the message "We have a real problem here, what's being done about it?", this would be quite different.

But if Boards doesn't want to do this, fine.
    I am as anonymous as you are as a Boards user - I do not have any right or powers to represent Boards before the Department or anyone else. If the evidence of this thread is so overwhelmimng it should speak fro itself - the person who presents it is irrelevant

Perhaps rather than advising the rest of us what to do, you could simply go out and do it yourself. If you can't be bothered why should you expect me to be?

Maybe a timely reminder just to make it that little bit harder for the bike thiefs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn3vUCdxX6o

This is very good. I suppose most of it is obvious common sense stuff but its a good reminder to see it all laid out clearly.

My new Giant is living in my office now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Runt

Hi all!

The guards returned both of my stolen bikes within 24 hours. So grateful to them.

Runt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Runt wrote: »
    <snipped by me>

Bummer. Mind me asking how they got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

Hi I need a bit of advice here.

I've came across a bike being sold that matches the description of a bike that was stolen a while ago.

The thing is I've been unable to contact the person that reported the bike stolen. As such I'm unable to confirm whether this is the same bike that was stolen.

Do I inform the Gardai? Or do I wait until I get in touch with person first?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Runt wrote: »
    They prised the shed door open. Disabled the alarm. Took the bikes! They must have wheeled the Trek, as I had taken the chain off of it. So so frustrated!

I started keeping my bikes in my kitchen. Don't trust the shed unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

666bxg wrote: »
    Hi I need a bit of advice here.

I've came across a bike being sold that matches the description of a bike that was stolen a while ago.

The thing is I've been unable to contact the person that reported the bike stolen. As such I'm unable to confirm whether this is the same bike that was stolen.

Cheers

Unless the bike being sold has some unique feature that corresponds with the bike reported as stolen e.g. non standard components, then I'm not sure that the Gardai would be able to do anything. Effectively you would be saying somebody reported an XYZ as stolen and there is also an XYZ for sale here. It's not compelling evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

666bxg wrote: »

Cheers

Report it. Let them check it out. If all's ok, then no harm done. If it is the same bike, the earlier they know about it the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Further to the bike rail that was cut in half at the Dart station bike thieves have started targeting the rails in our office bike park. the Rails were not installed correctly and now the thieves are simply removing the bolts connecting them tot he pavement. Despite the obvious damage many cyclists are continuing to use these rails even though bikes can simply be removed.

Its very concerning on two levels, firstly it shows the levels thieves will go to and secondly it further demonstrates just how clueless many cyclists are when it comes to bike security.

Advertisement