Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

misslainey wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

A Taxi Driver (!!!) stole this bike last night ( and a macbook pro) while the owner stopped to get money at ATM in Roselawn shopping centre.

Blue Didier Louis racer with worn yellow leather saddle. Missing nut from rear brake assembly, which is just wrapped around the saddle stem.

Please pm any info

How did this happen?
    Was the owner of the bike a customer of the taxi at the time???
    Any info on the type of taxi and any businesses in the area with cctv?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 misslainey

Yes the owner was the customer/ passenger in the taxi and asked the driver to stop for ATM to pay fare. Gardai are looking into CCTV footage but hopefully someone on here might come across the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

London police are cracking down on bicycle thieves

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/70-arrests-in-one-week-as-police-crack-down-on-cycle-theft-across-greater-london

and have put thousands of bicycles online

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metropolitanpolice/

Can you spot yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My wife was in a district court today on business and was telling me some bloke was up on stolen goods charges. He was caught because he advertised the bike he stole on Done Deal and was spotted that way. It's not exactly master criminals we're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

misslainey wrote: »
    Yes the owner was the customer/ passenger in the taxi and asked the driver to stop for ATM to pay fare. Gardai are looking into CCTV footage but hopefully someone on here might come across the bike.

Dirty rotten low life pond scum of a taxi driver - (that is if he were a genuine taxi - some fake taxis driving about the city)
    If you mate had 'find my Mac' activated (with iCloud) and the thief is online - there might be a chance of locating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

ThisRegard wrote: »
    My wife was in a district court today on business and was telling me some bloke was up on stolen goods charges. He was caught because he advertised the bike he stole on Done Deal and was spotted that way. It's not exactly master criminals we're dealing with.

great! are the gardai actively looking for stolen goods on DoneDeal?

lads pop a mail off to StickyBottle on these, they have advertised stolen bikes lately, might help to get the word around for non-boards users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 planc

Hi all,

My BH (coronas) cross-country bike was stolen yesterday in Shankill (Co. Dublin) area.
    19'' frame, suntour forks, shimano deore xt gears.

Don't have an actual photo, but found similar bike on adverts.ie, so I'm posting the link:
    http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/bh-team-coronas-mb/3747046

On my bike, one bottle holder is white.

A reward (100€) for anyone who will find the bike.

Double for the information about the thief.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

planc wrote: »
    Hi all,

My BH (coronas) cross-country bike was stolen yesterday in Shankill (Co. Dublin) area.
    19'' frame, suntour forks, shimano deore xt gears.

Don't have an actual photo, but found similar bike on adverts.ie, so I'm posting the link:
    http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/bh-team-coronas-mb/3747046

On my bike, one bottle holder is white.

A reward (100€) for anyone who will find the bike.

Double for the information about the thief.

Thank you.

Have you put out word to the clubs, like Orwell Wheelers, Sorrento Road Club and Bray Wheelers? Their members might see stolen bikes while out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 planc

Good idea, will contact them on Monday.

During the last 3 months there were 7 bikes stolen, including 2 children bikes(!!!), from our area (castlefarm).
    Locked sheds, locked side passages etc.

Guards are just... helpless.

I think its time to take the law into our own hands.
    Hunt the guy and teach him a lesson.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

planc wrote: »

I think its time to take the law into our own hands.
    Hunt the guy and teach him a lesson.

If you wish to retain posting privileges in this forum you had better cut out this sort of talk. No-one is permitted to encourage posters to take the law into their own hands on this site.

Any questions, PM me. Do not respond in-thread

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Recovered Planet X SL Pro Carbon

Posted on Planet X Ireland facebook page. Some good news for once!

Stolen and Recovered Thanks to our friends at an Garda Siochana an SL Pro carbon has been recovered in the Dun Laoighaire area albeit not necessarily stolen from there. The thief was apprehended in August and they have contacted us to try to trace the owner. Please forward genuine enquiries/serial numbers/details of colour size and spec including distinguishing alterations or components by private message only. If you have been the victim of a theft regarding one of these machines we would certainly like to help you recover it. No further info will be given on the description and enquiries will be replied to by pm however please share this post. You may alternatively contact Dun Laoghaire Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

4 bikes stolen from friends Wooden Shed in Tallaght on Monday morning. 3 brand new ones and an older hybrid. Only house that was hit so we think it was targeted. Pics of 3 new bikes below. Soul destroying for the family, were just starting to get interested in cycling and then the scum hit.

10447306065_1305d03475_o.jpg

10447265424_c5166ba985_o.png

10447266114_e43c989390_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I have since sorted out my claim with the insurance company since the break in of my shed back in September,And have replaced the bike taken on me.
    From what I noticed most shed doors including the bolt that goes across from the door to the shed itself,Are mainly just nails that can be easily pulled out using a hammer.
    What I did was pull the lock off all together including the hinges and replaced the nails with nuts and bolts,I then got a hacksaw and cut the tread down the center so they cannot try and unscrew the bolts.
    I also fitted another door bolt & lock plus a shed alarm I picked up in Argos which is loud,Then I got a tin of the anti intruder paint and painted the back wall,The paint is like grease doesn't dry and ruins a person clothes meaning they have to be thrown out.
    Now it might not stop these f**kers from breaking in to my shed again,But hopefully it is a deterrent for them as more than likely they were opertunist scum.
    Forgot to mention that I got sheets of sticky back paper to cover over the windows in the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Minister asks for garda report on Dublin bike thefts
    http://www.thejournal.ie/garda-bicycle-thefts-1141202-Oct2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Use carriage bolts instead of screws, they've smooth oval heads, no grip. Re the anti-intruder paint, try waste engine grease/oil from some obliging garage. If the shed-door is facing the house, paint it's inner side white, so's it'll show if the door is open/ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Niamh Corcoran

My giant escape 2 bike was stolen on Monday,it is a size small,24 speed,white& orange frame,white & silver saddle.black handle bars,black fixed mudguards,black fixed basket,silver water bottle holder,brand new.please contact me if u see it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Moved to stolen bikes thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Thargor wrote: »

F**K so much for having the best locks on the market when all they have to do is cut the bar..

The Cops need to do more... like in England they place a bike in an area and wait till some one tries to take it and then they move in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Similar was done in my work place last year. No bikes were nicked cos someone spotted it.

278253.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Cork24 wrote: »
    F**K so much for having the best locks on the market when all they have to do is cut the bar..

The Cops need to do more... like in England they place a bike in an area and wait till some one tries to take it and then they move in.

That's been cut for at least 6 months now. I would never leave either a car or a bike overnight at Killiney Dart station. I've seen cars parked at the side of the street with their windows tapped in by 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cork24 wrote: »

I've always been wary of those cheap ones - pretty sure they're aluminium. An angle grinder would go through them in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Stolen from underground carpark in Belfield Office Park yesterday, November 1st between 9.30am-5.30pm

Hyde Pro 54cm Shadow-Black 2012 ID:338001-54-1-45242 Make: Cube

Below are some images of the same bike and accessories I've pulled from the net, as I don't have any pics of the actual bike. It's the same model as the one pictured and it has a distinctive Altura saddle bag with some tools in it, as well as a black and red Polisport bracket for a child seat attached beneath the saddle.

It also had a white Bell helmet resting on the handlebars at the time of theft, front and rear mudguards front and rear lights and a safety bell mounted on the handlebars. An Abus lock is mounted on the rear of the frame also. It wasn't locked at the time as I forgot my keys, hadn't expected to be nicked from an underground carpark, rather naively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

It wasn't locked at the time as I forgot my keys, hadn't expected to be nicked from an underground carpark, rather naively.

Damn, I am really sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pjbike

hey, my bike 1970's Peugeot got stolen last night from Cabinteely. it has a lot of sentimental value. I'd greatly appreciate if you could keep an eye out and let me know if you see it around anywhere ! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Saw a fairly heavy duty Abus U lock in bits at the bottom of Dawson St.. The U part had been sawn twice by an angle grinder so I'm thinking it was one of the Abus ones that lock on both sides of the U prongs. There was a bit of corrosion on the sawn ends so the lock may have been there for a while, but it was grim to see this on one of the busiest streets in the country (day or night). I'm thinking the owner of the bike would have been fairly confident with a lock like that in that location to still have the bike when they came back. The bike theft gangs are a little too organised nowadays. I suppose it's an attractive proposition when getting caught does not have any real consequences currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Posting this on behalf of a friend - two bikes stolen from shed in Lucan area between Tues of last week and today, details as follows:

Black Specialized Sirrus, lg frame and white Giant Escape, both in pristine condition.

Would really appreciate any info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Dawson St, Nassau St, Dame St and Temple Bar have terrible problems with 'lads' walking around checking the locks on bikes. I've seen the same gang several times giving bikes a push or a pull to check the locks, or checking out the saddle on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Farm_Dog

Bike stolen in Ashtown from underground carpark, Purple and brown khaki paint job which is quite distinctive, It was a Claud Butler Explorer (I think) hybrid, a women's bike so quite small unfortunately I don't have a pic but the same bike is here:

http://claudbutler.co.uk/cycle-range/range/claud-butler-hybrid/cb3015

If anyone see's it anywhere please pm me!

Advertisement