Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭to99

My Specialized Dolce road bike was stolen from the Northumberlands Apartments on Mount street lower.

It was locked in a locked storage unit in a locked gated apartment block!

It had clip pedals and a small pouch behind the saddle. To be honest I didn't use it much so the last time I checked on it was this time last year. But still, am devestated. Worth €830.

116mfsl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

to99 wrote: »
    My Specialized Dolce road bike was stolen from the Northumberlands Apartments on Mount street lower.

It had clip pedals and a small pouch behind the saddle. To be honest I didn't use it much so the last time I checked on it was this time last year. But still, am devestated. Worth €830.

Any CCTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any CCTV?
    Could hardly go asking for 12 months worth of cctv footage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

endacl wrote: »
    Could hardly go asking for 12 months worth of cctv footage?

12 months? It was stole a year ago?

Edit: oh, you hadn't checked on it for a year. Gosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rezzo82

2 bikes was stolen last night from my backyard.
    one its a NORCO city bike grey color.
    The other one its a single speed/fixie blue.
    http://imageshack.com/i/jjindgj
    http://imageshack.com/i/5hqa3bj

The second its really unique...so if somebody see them around. give me a shout.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lidl are selling bolt cutters for a tenner, so I'd imagine every skag will be picking up a set along with their trays of cheap cider. I'd suggest locking your bike out of the catchment area of any lidl stores!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

The Cider any good?

Planet X wrote: »
    The Cider any good?

Absolutely terrible, they sell it in big 2 litre bottles like Devil's bit which is never a good sign.

Planet X wrote: »
    The Cider any good?

Not bad. You'd need a basket on your bike to get it home though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Lidl are selling bolt cutters for a tenner, so I'd imagine every skag will be picking up a set along with their trays of cheap cider. I'd suggest locking your bike out of the catchment area of any lidl stores!

Awesome. I could do with a pair of those.

For actual legal uses - I know, how unlikely is the legal use of bolt cutters!?

• Advertisement

quozl wrote: »
    how unlikely is the legal use of bolt cutters!?

Very unlikely. Sure you'd hardly ever hear of a bike being nicked in this town...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

endacl wrote: »
    Not bad. You'd need a basket on your bike to get it home though...

Can you not sit on the wall outside and lower it? No basket / pannier required.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

to99 wrote: »

116mfsl.jpg

Those gated bicycle sheds are a scumbags dream. Catch the door as someone is leaving or quite alot, someone didn't close it right or a previous tenant has a copy of the keys. Away from prying eyes, you can hear someone approach. I have often had arguments with management of previous accommodation about bringing my bike up but until they give it in writing they will cover the cost of my almost guaranteed loss, they can shove it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,916 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thankfully, based on some lidl tools i've used before, i suspect the lock will have no trouble cutting through the lidl boltcutters.

thankfully, based on some lidl tools i've used before, i suspect the lock will have no trouble cutting through the lidl boltcutters.
    Unless its a Lidl lock. Infinite feedback loop....

1228190346436.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

But but but,,, doesn't Lidl = Vorsprung durch Technik :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

aloyisious wrote: »
    But but but,,, doesn't Lidl = Vorsprung durch Technik :eek:

No it equals Vorsprung dung Redneck

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

If anyone had 2 bikes stolen last night (Monday) in the Richmond Road/Richmond Avenue area they are with the guards in Clontarf. 3 little scumbags were apprehended on Richmond Road by 2 people coming home from work! Not giving any details out about the bikes just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

myxi wrote: »
    If anyone had 2 bikes stolen last night (Monday) in the Richmond Road/Richmond Avenue area they are with the guards in Clontarf. 3 little scumbags were apprehended on Richmond Road by 2 people coming home from work! Not giving any details out about the bikes just in case.
    Well done those two people!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

Does anyone have the kryptonite fahgettaboudit mini (the stubby yellow ones)?

I'm thinking of going all out on the lock but they look like they could be difficult to use around town because of their size. can anyone let me know if they use one ok?

also i see a lot of the orange kryptonite locks about town. are these a good deterrent, has anyone got a bike robbed using these

i don't want to be left screwed again by relying on the 'sold secure' gold rating and have another bike robbed in broad daylight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Sold Secure badge is for your insurance company. An angle grinder doesn't mind it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

grodge wrote: »

I'm thinking of going all out on the lock but they look like they could be difficult to use around town because of their size. can anyone let me know if they use one ok?

also i see a lot of the orange kryptonite locks about town. are these a good deterrent, has anyone got a bike robbed using these

i don't want to be left screwed again by relying on the 'sold secure' gold rating and have another bike robbed in broad daylight

No u-lock is going to be invulnerable to an angle grinder, the only difference is the amount of time it will take to cut through an orange kryptonite compared to the yellow one. Personally I use an orange kryptonite. It is a trade off between being not as thick as the yellow one but lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Orange Kryptonite EVO Mini for me aswell, strong-ish, light-ish and a great bike mount once you manage to attach it securely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

grodge wrote: »

I have one of these. Its basically a 'through the back wheel' sheldon brown method jobby. Its almost impossible to fit the frame, back wheel AND a pole/bike stand in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Gah, didnt want to have to post in this thread..

But my bro's bike was stolen today in town (Dublin), not sure what time as he was working. Its a black and red carrera vanquish with a black lidl saddle. Exactly the same as the picture below (not my pic though). If you see it around town or posted on any ad sites shoot me a PM ASAP.

5vr5sdA.jpg

Edit:

I stuck the stem from my bike onto it which is a Felt Variable Angle stem so its at quite an odd angle, so if the thief has left that stem on its the bike for sure.

Notice the stem angle in this picture - http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360064872/Z6-Tiagra-2012-672-0101.jpg?w=2000&h=2000&a=7

920104-ROADVA110-LRG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

2 bikes stolen from a shed last night in Monkstown. Won't give details, but given the location of the house and the shed, this was an extremely well planned robbery. One bike used regularly on a commute and the other as a weekend warrior. Must have followed the commuter to locate bike. Given the point of entry etc, this was well planned and not an opportunistic swipe.

Could everyone keep an eye out for a white Specialzied Roubaix in 56(or 58?) with Ultegra/DA mix and a 2011 Specialized Dolce Ladies road bike with pastel blue and white frame, white saddle and tape. Fingers crossed they turn up. I will add pictures as soon as I can.

johnk123 wrote: »
    2 bikes stolen from a shed last night in Monkstown. Won't give details, but given the location of the house and the shed, this was an extremely well planned robbery. One bike used regularly on a commute and the other as a weekend warrior. Must have followed the commuter to locate bike. Given the point of entry etc, this was well planned and not an opportunistic swipe.

Could everyone keep an eye out for a white Specialzied Roubaix in 56(or 58?) with Ultegra/DA mix and a 2011 Specialized Dolce Ladies road bike with pastel blue and white frame, white saddle and tape. Fingers crossed they turn up. I will add pictures as soon as I can.

Could be someone local who knew about the shed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Could be someone local who knew about the shed also.
    Very true... when it happens, the mind automatically starts to question everyone who would know about it! It's a hard one to call though.. every house within a mile radius has a garden shed of some description.. and nothing else taken from shed, no helmets, cycling shoes, tools, steal framed bikes.. just the two mentioned. They were also removed from the property over a wall, so more than one person must have been involved I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Didn't think I'd ever be adding my bike (let alone them both) to this thread but I had the below two bikes stolen from my shed.

CubeRoad-resize.jpg

The Agree SL had red bar tape and gp 4000's on it.

Cube1.jpg

I can't imagine too many of the Attentions around Ireland so if one popped up for sale it would be a good chance it could be mine.

If anyone spots them anywhere on sites or hears anyone selling them, please pm me.

DrZeuss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Stopped a bike theft in the IFSC today.

One scumbag was trying to twist the bike from the bike rack.

Walked up and took out my phone and said - leave the bike I have you on camera.

One lad said leg it, the other said he was going to remember my face, come back and kill me! lol

Few minutes later I saw the guards by the rack so I walked out and explained that what I had seen. Thankfully they had caught the scumbags and had confiscated 2 huge cutters from them.

When I looked at the bikes u-lock it was seriously close to breaking.

It appears no bike is safe anywhere. What a sad world we live in. Bike theft is just not taken seriously enough.

Advertisement