Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

Hi guys
    I just discovered this morning that some <snip> broke into my shed sometime this week and robbed my Trek Road Bike - and a few tools etc.

This is the second time in 18 months.

Where the hell do these scum bags sell the bikes - i’ve been searching adverts nd done deal but no joy.

Any suggestions?

I haven’t report to Guards as I suspect that is a waste of time.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you want to claim from your house insurance you'll need a crime number. Bit of a pain, but you might as well let the guards know.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

I found mine on adverts about two weeks later. Set up an account, bid and met your man with the garda where they arrested him and I got my bike. Keep an eye out. My bike was worth about €1500 so I wasn't letting it go and insurance weren't paying out.

Penalty wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I just discovered this morning that some knacker broke into my shed sometime this week and robbed my Trek Road Bike - and a few tools etc.

This is the second time in 18 months.

Where the hell do these scum bags sell the bikes - i’ve been searching adverts nd done deal but no joy.

Any suggestions?

I haven’t report to Guards as I suspect that is a waste of time.

Thanks

I'd have had that view in the past, but around 2 years ago herselfs Trek bike was lifted from the bike cage at her work. Was reported and thought that was a waste of time and the last I'd hear. About 6 months later I got a call to come down and confirm the serial number. They'd raided a scum bags house on an unrelated matter and found 7 bikes in his shed along with a wide assortment of other stolen goods. Doesn't happen often but theres a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Can I ask, was the bike locked in the shed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 audrey27

I guess your shed needs to be secure or you need to transfer the location of the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

Unfortunately it wasn't.

It normally is but I'd left my lock in work the last time I used it - lesson learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 audrey27

Yes, transfer location of shed or store the bike inside the house, something like that. Just a suggestion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mod Voice -- Already a dedicated stolen bike thread so merged.

Non mod, report it to guards anyway. Stick up details here excepting serial number of course, and folk tend to keep an eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,551 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I found mine on adverts about two weeks later. Set up an account, bid and met your man with the garda where they arrested him and I got my bike. Keep an eye out. My bike was worth about €1500 so I wasn't letting it go and insurance weren't paying out.
    Good to hear, was it difficult to get the Gardai involved? I've heard other stories of Gardai not wanting to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Dublin Cycling Campaign Twitter poll from last Friday with two-thirds of respondents saying they've had at least one bike stolen.

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/921306717991862273

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Moflojo wrote: »
    Dublin Cycling Campaign Twitter poll from last Friday with two-thirds of respondents saying they've had at least one bike stolen.

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/921306717991862273

thought it would be a lot higher. Wonder if people were not thinking of bikes nicked as a kid or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

HI Guys, my Trek Soho and my 6 year old Daughters (10 day old birthday present) Carerra Saruna 20" were stolen from my back garden in Fernleigh, D15 on Friday night. Bikes were lifted over the locked gate.

The trek was champagne coloured, had a bag rack and a clamp for a bike seat which will have left some marks/discolouration I'm sure.

I'm afraid I hadn't locked them to anything in the garden which was pretty stupid.

If anyone notices them around or for sale somewhere please let me know!

Can't post images because I am not a regular poster here. if you have a look @stolenbikesdub on Tweeter you will see the post

Thanks for having a look and bearing the bikes in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

Now that I have the necessary number of posts on boards I can post the pictures related to proceeding thread relating to bike theft in D15. The photo co the trek is the same bike, but new obviously. Mine had/has a double sided stand, a child seat clamp on the up post and a bag rack over the back wheel.

Thanks again

431344.jpg

431345.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,551 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gorgp

Hi guys,

I had a bike stolen in Ringsend during the week. It is a black/grey Giant defy advanced 3.

If anybody see's a bike like this for sale I'd appreciate if you could drop me a message.

Thanks,
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

A guy on the Celbridge information page on FB has recovered this bike if anyone recognises it.

22853251_10155795824851228_4314224098111920801_n.jpg?oh=409493983f1d6766261bb91dd5ff6132&oe=5A7C3D2C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

gorgp wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I had a bike stolen in Ringsend during the week. It is a black/grey Giant defy advanced 3.

Thanks,
    Peter

Can you post a catalogue image of the bike or similar? Also, anything more of a description. Large or small frame, new or old condition, any particular features or attachments etc? I live nearby and always have an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dubjay

hello my e bike was stolen Thursday night from Palmerston. is useless to who has it as i have the head unit. if anybody knows or sees this bike i am offering 200 euro reward for its return no questions asked as i use it daily to commute to hospital for my mother and need it badly. its very recognizable black over volt 400 with bright green parts. again please help also reward offered for return.

432624.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Hi Dubjay - I know how you feel - I have the 2016 model which was nicked but I got it back when it was dumped in bushes not too far away - would suggest you search the locality as it could well have been abandoned. Unfortunately the head unit is only about €100 to replace - always good to remove the battery too as it can be €5-600 to replace

thanks homer911 i called the bike shop and they told me the motor is matched to that head unit unless they find a dealer who will unlock the codes on a new unit it will not work. i have been checking all lanes ect since then just a race against time as im trying to look after my mam and use the bike to collect med,s etc.. it had had a few parts replaced and over 4000k done so its well used and every part has a serial to be traced. like i said it is no good to who ever has it and i will give 200 euro no questions asked for its return even if its  damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Stolen:  Wedneday 8th November - NORTH ROAD , DROGHEDA , Co. Louth

SCOTT SUB SPORT 40 - BLUE AND GREY
    AF1QipOgM1HMIzFEEif8VMi7iGfQn3URvQGes86qEagf?key=Rkktb1F0SnpQX3l6Rmk3OElUY0NTcjVJZEVxMzJR
    Locked to Pedestrian / Crash Barrier on North Road with

New York Kryptonite Lock
    Abus London Lock
    Generic U lock on front wheel.

One off the spokes on the crash barrier was cut in two. No discarded locks on ground. Cannot figure out how they got the Kryptonite New York off.  

Distinguishing  marks -  cross bar is heavily marked with black distortion from the Kryptonite lock rubbing against.  

Very upset, still paying for it.  As a family going to really struggle to get to work now, really lost without it.432940.jpg

One off the spokes on the crash barrier was cut in two. No discarded locks on ground. Cannot figure out how they got the Kryptonite New York off.
    If there were no locks maybe it was taken away in a van to get the locks off later. I see many bikes with excellent locks but locked to flimsy poles or similar. The pole itself is then the weakest link. I had to cut a bog standard kryptonite lock off my bike as I had a broken key. I could not even begin to cut it with a hacksaw blade. I work with steel in my job and reckon I could get through an average "sheffield stand" in under 2mins with the same saw. They look thick but if you flick them you can hear it is really thin steel.

A NY lock typically requires 2 cuts to actually get it off. A standard angle grinder will do it, the steel is good so also slows them down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

rubadub wrote: »
    If there were no locks maybe it was taken away in a van to get the locks off later. I see many bikes with excellent locks but locked to flimsy poles or similar. The pole itself is then the weakest link. I had to cut a bog standard kryptonite lock off my bike as I had a broken key. I could not even begin to cut it with a hacksaw blade. I work with steel in my job and reckon I could get through an average "sheffield stand" in under 2mins with the same saw. They look thick but if you flick them you can hear it is really thin steel.

A NY lock typically requires 2 cuts to actually get it off. A standard angle grinder will do it, the steel is good so also slows them down a bit.

Yeah I think you are right. Its the worst feeling in the world. Still paying for it. I'm really down about it I have to say. They have rubbish bikes stolen on me and then i spared no expense on locks.. 5 months in to payment on bike to work scheme. I'm being an awful blouse but I am finding this way more upsetting then it should be. Sucks.

Yeah I think you are right. Its the worst feeling in the world.
    I know, not sure how many bikes I have had nicked on me, I seriously do not really want to tot them up. A disgusting sinking feeling when you go back to the spot was locked up.

I seriously pity the scum I ever potentially find robbing my bike, depending on mood I really do not know if I could hold back, I have gone out to check on my bike if I hear people about, and I do bring weapons which I would actually have no qualms using, i.e. not weapons that would seriously injure, ones I would use. Many have "defense weapons" they would likely never use as it could actually kill.

I am actually surprised there is not more vigilantism in regards to bike theft, it stirs up such hatred. I read of some young lad having his legs broke (and did rightly or wrongly think fair play, deserves it), and have heard stories of "what I would do" from lads I know, some of which is "just talk", but I also know some would certainly not hold back as they are so utterly infuriated by the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

A Cannondale Bad Boy 3 got swiped out of my garden shed in Citywest overnight. It's got a rigid "lefty" fork which is unusual. When stolen it had a blue anodized aluminium Hope Vision 1 front light fitted which might stand out. It was a cycle to work bike that still has 6 months of installments to pay off. Gutted is an understatement.

seems like its all in the one area. sounds like a man with a van

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

rubadub wrote: »
    I read of some young lad having his legs broke (and did rightly or wrongly think fair play, deserves it),
    Just for clarity, the correct answer is (a) ‘rightly’.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yeah I think you are right. Its the worst feeling in the world. Still paying for it. I'm really down about it I have to say. They have rubbish bikes stolen on me and then i spared no expense on locks.. 5 months in to payment on bike to work scheme. I'm being an awful blouse but I am finding this way more upsetting then it should be. Sucks.

Nothing about being a blouse, if my bike was nicked, I could not afford another one at the minute, my commute time would double and the cost per week would be a noticeable dent to the pocket, I would have to change my working hours for the creche and so on. Basically, if it happened now, I would slink to the ground and cry for awhile because they would have taken far more than a bike.

Advertisement