Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If your white Liv was knicked in Dun Lao...(f'ck if I can spell it) today DLB have it after a chase!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/566967983332763/permalink/1965552700140944/

Lmao the scoobie even had the helmet on :D

"Ya didn't see fookin nutin"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

And he stopped at a red... feckin hell

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gmacww

About a year or two ago there was a very good bike stolen at the end of a sportive. Can't recall where but was discussed on here. Thief was decked out in full cycling kit looked like anyone else that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And he stopped at a red... feckin hell

AND made sure to put on his own rear light - most conscientious thief in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

gmacww wrote: »
    About a year or two ago there was a very good bike stolen at the end of a sportive. Can't recall where but was discussed on here. Thief was decked out in full cycling kit looked like anyone else that day.

I remember hearing that this happened at the Tour of Meath at the second control maybe 3/4 years back so could be the same incident - very easily done I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I never would have thought of that risk.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/12/11/cross-cut/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

KOR101 wrote: »
    I never would have thought of that risk.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/12/11/cross-cut/

there were videos of thieves in dublin doing that. You use the bike itself as the leverage tool. Just shows how strong the kryptonite is, doesn't even look bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

The guy in the video does very well and deserves great credit. Having been in a some situations a little similar to this, I think what's best to do is, if possible, ring the guards immediately and see if you can have them on the way while you're giving chase. That way you've a better possibility of retrieving the property and achieving a conviction. But again, kudos to this guy. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

bennyc wrote: »
    Just had my bike stolen from the bike rack at the entrance to Dundrum Town Centre accross the road from the Balally Luas , a 20 year old giant hybrid but my 20 year old giant, sickening feeling to see it gone even if its worthless. it was parked next to one of those blue garda bike with the security warning on them. Any point in reporting this ?

Late reply, but always report it. You won't get it back, but it will be used in gardai statistics. Let them know bike theft is a problem in the area

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I don't have any photos at the moment.

But I took a bike off some scrouts in Dublin 13 last night.

Its a childs/female white Townsend 'Bay'.

Photos to follow (Christmas party last night and too bloody hanging this morning to take photos lol).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posting this for someone who has been unable to sign up completely but PM'd me the info:

Brand new, not used yet Cube Attain Race Disc 2017 (picture below) stolen last night in Belmont Stepaside next to Aikens Village. Bike was locked up in a pad-locked shed. Also Carrera Zelos bike stolen. Please keep an eye out online or if anyone sees it - easily spotted! Thanks
    csm_876350-large-01-14_62c89642ab.jpg

Hopefully they will be along to follow-up here if I can work out what they still need to do to register

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Anyone missing this?

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/is-this-yours-giant-defy-4-2016/14539631

Giant Defy 4 2016

ZjAxYTdiMzAzZDcxMWQ0ODhhYTJmNTlkNDViYWMwNGJfIEVGqRcGoPmezPebDp4yaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMDY5MTdkMTdkZmRhZDMyZWI1N2E4MjYxN2Y3MTM0NDhmNTNlYTU1ZDI1YTAwMWE2ZjliY2ZkOWMxNzRjMmZkNS5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjIzfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Came across it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is that guy you accepted the offer from genuinely the owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Thargor wrote: »
    Is that guy you accepted the offer from genuinely the owner?

Isn't my ad Thargor, just putting it here so it gets better coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 weevixx

Last night our garage was broken into and our two bikes were stolen. Ladies Scott Speedster and Men's Giant FCR Hybrid. Walkinstown area.

This is the Speedster.... It's an XS frame.
    https://ibb.co/fV7N6m

This is what the Giant looks like (not a picture of the actual bike)...
    https://ibb.co/dQ8qsR

If you could keep an eye out online I'd be really grateful. I've checked Donedeal, Adverts, Facebook Marketplace. Any other ideas of where I could look?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Woman got in contact with me via my club fb page re a cube agree that was found by her ballyogan area. any one lose one.. pm me and ill put you in touch with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

weevixx wrote: »
    Last night our garage was broken into and our two bikes were stolen. Ladies Scott Speedster and Men's Giant FCR Hybrid. Walkinstown area.

This is the Speedster.... It's an XS frame.
    https://ibb.co/fV7N6m

This is what the Giant looks like (not a picture of the actual bike)...
    https://ibb.co/dQ8qsR

If you could keep an eye out online I'd be really grateful. I've checked Donedeal, Adverts, Facebook Marketplace. Any other ideas of where I could look?

out of interest what kind of garage, how did they manage break in, i feel its always good to educate on how these gangs get access to our bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

weevixx wrote: »
    Any other ideas of where I could look?
    Check out any local places where kids could have sold them. I found one of mine in a place which converts gold to cash amongst other things. They got €10 euros for it.......worth over €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

There's a fishy looking PlanetX Codeine on adverts for €2k. Could well just be a terrible ad but definitely looks suspicious. Description is just a full suspension mountain bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 JamieIRL

Hi everyone,

My bike was stolen from a pole on Suffolk Street on Thursday night. It’s a silver State Bicycle Company - Contender. There’s not very common, I’ve never a seen another in Dublin. It was locked with a

Please, if anybody sees it on an ad, or for sale somewhere could you message me.

Many thanks,
    Jamie

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

JamieIRL wrote: »
    It was locked with a

If everyone posted what locks were broken, people would be more informed as to how sophisticated the typical Irish bike thief is. I'm not sure what happened the rest of your sentence! (obv every lock can be beaten, but it seems an orange Kryptonite is adequate the typical for Dublin commuter)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Probably better off hitting him with his car

Obviously I wouldn't condone any action of that sort

• Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I can understand the frustration. But he's very lucky.
    He basically attacked a minor in an unprovoked assault.
    Borderfox wrote: »
    Probably better off hitting him with his car

Obviously I wouldn't condone any action of that sort
    Eh?
    That would have been a jail sentence for sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mellor wrote: »
    Eh?
    That would have been a jail sentence for sure.
    Regrettably, sentences imposed by Judges in Ireland would imply that no, it probably wouldn't. In fact should he throw in another few factors while driving that show he wasn't fit to drive, he would probably keep his license and have the judge pass comment on how it could happen to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

No charges for the 16 year old for being in posession of stolen goods then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mr Healy, cycling the bike on the day it was stolen was unaware of that fact.... Yeah, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

air wrote: »
    No charges for the 16 year old for being in posession of stolen goods then?
    Wouldn't apply if article is true.
    It only applies if you are in possession "knowing that the property was stolen or being reckless as to whether it was stolen".
    Mr Healy, cycling the bike on the day it was stolen was unaware of that fact.... Yeah, sure.
    Its quite possible tbh.
    Thieves steal bikes to mainly sell them. I'd imagine a quick sale is preferred when there's drugs to be had and more bikes to steal.

This was a circuit court case. I'm sure they considered the possibility that the kid stole it and was simply lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have there many cases of people done for possesion of stolen bikes? i.e. those who bought them. I wonder what it takes to prove they were reckless, is there any precedent. I would imagine the vast majority of purchases of stolen bikes, sold the same day would be reckless (esp. the same day as I guess it was sold very cheaply). Wonder if they the lad in this case had a receipt, or how much he paid vs market value.

You hear of €1000 bikes being sold for pittance.

It would be good if they officially gave some sort of expected info you need to get while buying a bike, and if you do not have it then it would be considered a reckless buy.

I remember reading some people asking for the sale of bikes to be simply illegal, or maybe to have to register them or something, but to treat it differently somehow since so many being sold are stolen. I wonder if any other items are close to it, i.e. % of phones which are stolen and then sold on.

Advertisement