Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

to add their was judge who said it woudnt be right to put someone in jail who had knocked someone in a coma while driving dangerously, they took his licence for grand total of 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Heads up: Friend from work had his Specialized hybrid stolen from the bike stands behind Central bank in Temple Bar last night. He had forgotten his ulock so only locked it with his chain lock. He left his bike for 5 minutes to pop in somewhere, came back, the bike was stolen with his chain lock on the pavement - it had been cut open.
    He feels guys must have been watching the stands to have been so quick.
    He used the bike everyday to commute to and from work - gutted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

MB Lacey wrote: »

Any CCTV that would have caught them either taking bike or passing nearby with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This might as well be here too.
    @stolenbikesdub Hi. Two bikes stolen from my house in Castleknock this afternoon. Planet X road bike and a Cervelo P3 time trial bike. I managed to see the thieves and caught the registration - 12D8844 white caddy van. Please retweet.

DUlPT-aX0AAttWO.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/pmurtagh10/status/957383640857612288

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

12D8844 is not a Caddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭125m

Hope y’all don’t mind
    Please read n share

https://www.facebook.com/peter.murtagh1/posts/10159928971915346

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Moved from adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭125m

Apologies
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Heads up: Friend from work had his Specialized hybrid stolen from the bike stands behind Central bank in Temple Bar last night. He had forgotten his ulock so only locked it with his chain lock. He left his bike for 5 minutes to pop in somewhere, came back, the bike was stolen with his chain lock on the pavement - it had been cut open.

Delighted to say he got his bike back, not so delighted to say how - he bought it back from the guys who stole it in the first place :( (allegedly!)
    Not a scenario I've heard before so here you go:

After his bike was stolen, he put some photos up on Facebook Market place explaining how his bike had been stolen and asks that if anyone sees it to let him know.
    A message pops up from a guy saying he's just bought a bike and lo and behold it's the same one my friend has just had stolen.
    Of course the person messaging 'didn't realise it was stolen and bought it in good faith', and my friend could buy it back from him if he wanted if he could meet up immediately.
    My friend guesses this is the guy who stole his bike, he needs his bike back to get to work etc so they agree a price. He meets up with 3 teenagers, gives them some money and he gets his bike back.
    He is going to the gardai to let them know everything that happened to help this from happening to anyone else. He realises there were several alternative ways he could have played this out but this is the way he went about it.
    I had never heard of FB marketplace, I can't believe that the people who stole his bike saw his message and then messaged him back - what are the chances - also the brazen neck.
    Not sure what the gardai will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Delighted to say he got his bike back, not so delighted to say how - he bought it back from the guys who stole it in the first place :( (allegedly!)
    Not a scenario I've heard before so here you go:

After his bike was stolen, he put some photos up on Facebook Market place explaining how his bike had been stolen and asks that if anyone sees it to let him know.
    A message pops up from a guy saying he's just bought a bike and lo and behold it's the same one my friend has just had stolen.
    Of course the person messaging 'didn't realise it was stolen and bought it in good faith', and my friend could buy it back from him if he wanted if he could meet up immediately.
    My friend guesses this is the guy who stole his bike, he needs his bike back to get to work etc so they agree a price. He meets up with 3 teenagers, gives them some money and he gets his bike back.
    He is going to the gardai to let them know everything that happened to help this from happening to anyone else. He realises there were several alternative ways he could have played this out but this is the way he went about it.
    I had never heard of FB marketplace, I can't believe that the people who stole his bike saw his message and then messaged him back - what are the chances - also the brazen neck.
    Not sure what the gardai will do.

Nothing now.
    The time to call the gardai was after he'd arranged to meet them and before they met.
    They'd have gone along.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

josip wrote: »
    Nothing now.
    The time to call the gardai was after he'd arranged to meet them and before they met.
    They'd have gone along.

or turn up with a few mates and just take the bike back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That FB marketplace is a bit mad. You see everything for sale from secondhand clothes to cigarettes and booze and even drugs from time to time. Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭secman

A guy on Joe Duffy today, lives in Castleknock, his house was broken into on Sat afternoon, in broad daylight , a Cervela and Planet X bikes were the only items taken, looks like he was targeted. Gave chase to the van but they got away, got the van reg plate and up to this afternoon hasn't been contacted by the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

secman wrote: »
    A guy on Joe Duffy today, lives in Castleknock, his house was broken into on Sat afternoon, in broad daylight , a Cervela and Planet X bikes were the only items taken, looks like he was targeted. Gave chase to the van but they got away, got the van reg plate and up to this afternoon hasn't been contacted by the Guards.

Just saw the story in the Independent
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fathers-horror-as-armed-men-break-into-home-and-steal-bikes-while-he-was-upstairs-giving-his-children-a-bath-36543402.html

edit to add, it was the same guy that was posted a page earlier [245] with some facebook and twitter links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fathers-horror-as-armed-men-break-into-home-and-steal-bikes-while-he-was-upstairs-giving-his-children-a-bath-36543402.html

edit to add, it was the same guy that was posted a page earlier [245] with some facebook and twitter links.

Wow, scary to think that will do this while you are at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Just heard these bikes were recovered by the Gardai after finding the van involved in Tallaght. Good work by the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Just heard these bikes were recovered by the Gardai after finding the van involved in Tallaght. Good work by the gardai.

nuts isn't it for them to target an occupied home for two bikes, normally they would only do that for cars, cash jewels.

manafana wrote: »
    nuts isn't it for them to target an occupied home for two bikes, normally they would only do that for cars, cash jewels.

Likely far easier to shift the bikes though , watching that one on RTE or TV3 last week about tool theft and gangs sending them back and forth between the UK and here, I'm sure it's the same for bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

https://www.facebook.com/LivingDublinAltogether/videos/1898870266792477/
    The cameraman (Renato Araujo) had to stop recording to be able to stop the guy from stealing the bicycle, which was brought to a Garda station (yesterday) once he managed to cut the locker in the end. We hope the owner will watch this video and manage to get it back.

Anyone had a bright green road bike disappear from outside a DIT campus(?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Might not be the place for it, but something that I would like an explanation for if anyone has one!

why is bike theft not punished in the same way that stealing a car or motorbike is punished?

Is it due to the relative value?

One of my bikes is worth maybe 1.5k. One of my cars is worth 1k.

If the car is stolen, I expect the Gardai to take that more seriously than the bike.

Or, is that the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Is there any way to guarantee a bikes saftey when it is locked?

They seem to just cut through anything including pedestrian crossing barriers to get them.

It really sucks :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

They seem to just cut through anything including pedestrian crossing barriers to get them.

What about removing front wheel and/ or the saddle???? Would that move a would be scrote along the line to some other poor unfortunate??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pretty much
    Masala wrote: »
    What about removing front wheel and/ or the saddle???? Would that move a would be scrote along the line to some other poor unfortunate??
    Sounds terrible but it is one of the key rules of locking your bike up. Aside from locking it well and in the right place, you have to make it a less attractive proposition than the bike nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭tampopo

White Ladies Giant Auckland with white carrier stolen from outside Milano's restaurant Temple Bar, Crown Alley at noon today.

https://imgur.com/a/bS9qS

Pulse registered

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Stolen from Galway city rail station between Wed and Sunday evening. Old racer, grey with black details and burn/rust marks on seat tube. PM me please.

<snip> (Mod note phone number deleted-nee)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Anybody missing white and tourquise Trek racer or yellow child's racer please check stolen bikes Dublin on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

boombang wrote: »
    Anybody missing white and tourquise Trek racer or yellow child's racer please check stolen bikes Dublin on twitter.

https://twitter.com/LetsImproveIt/status/972110826999074816

Advertisement