Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Anybody invested in a gps tracker for their bike? Was considering one for my next purchase after having 2 bikes stolen in recent years
    This looks like a good idea https://www.sherlock.bike/en/device-app/

That's actually pretty cool and the price isn't to bad either. An extra 200grams in one side of your handle bar might have a noticeable effect though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

How much is it? And is your bike the right size for it? A lot of these require a large bike for the device to fit in the headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Al Katraz

Hi all

I had my blue Specialized Sirrus men's bike stolen from the junction of Capel Street and Little Britain Street in Dublin between 10pm on Friday July 7 and 2pm Saturday July 8, 2017.

I know, I shouldn't have left it overnight and I only had one cable lock around the frame and back wheel so was probably asking for it. I normally use two locks but only had one on me at the time of going to meet a friend who only comes home about once every five years.

The bike is dark metallic blue with white writing and white stripes. Black handlebars, footstraps, silver seatpost, black clip-on mudguards, silver brake levers, and the handlebar grips have been replaced with cheap black rubber ones. The saddle is red and black with hole down the middle.

Any sightings/info/suggestions where to look would be greatly appreciated.

I had this bike stolen before a few years ago and after posting on Boards I got it back, so here's hoping some Boardsers can help me out again!

Cheers

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Al Katraz wrote: »
    I had this bike stolen before a few years ago and after posting on Boards I got it back, so here's hoping some Boardsers can help me out again!

Thunderboards are go!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Wilsonudevil

jaymck wrote: »
    Same bike and colour but unfortunately does not look like mine. Mine has no stickers at all, is a single speed / fixie and has smaller regular handle bars.

Thank you so much for the heads up though!

Like this one?

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,611 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Anybody invested in a gps tracker for their bike? Was considering one for my next purchase after having 2 bikes stolen in recent years
    This looks like a good idea https://www.sherlock.bike/en/device-app/

Here's an alternative that uses the SigFox network instead of a SIM card;

https://www.munstergps.ie/product/hidnseek-sigfox-sim-free-gps-tracker/

Haven't used either - SigFox coverage is very good in urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stugie89

Hi, 
    Hoping there folk out there who could help me out... I had my bike stolen from the SuperValu in Ranelagh Village on Saturday 8th July between 11 am and 1 pm. 
    The bike was a custom build that I've spent a few years on. Specifications (only a few changes since the photo was taken):
    Ribble Frame: Aluminium Black Frame with White letters
    ITM Carbon Forks
    ITM Stem Black
    DEDA handlebars Black
    DEDA Seat Post Black
    Selle Italia Saddle White
    MicroSHIFT ARSIS 10 speed derailleurs and brake levers (black/carbon effect)
    Shimano crank
    SRAM brakes
    FFWD Wheels
    Speedplay peddles

imageshack.com/a/img922/4254/M2Md4P.jpg

Appreciate any help in getting it back.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SazWheely

Giant Hybrid mens bike stolen today from outside Pygmalion on South William Street. Black with some green trim. 

I don't know how to share a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,611 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This was the best bit :
    “They had spruced the bike up a bit overnight – they’d even fixed the front light,” she said.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Hi,
    Second time posting in this thread. Bike was stolen from my apartments's underground carpark on Kevin street. Spoke to someone else who said their bike was stolen too, and it was about a week ago - June 2nd. So I guess mine was taken same time as I hadn't checked on it. White Giant OCR 1. Black tyres with red line in centre.
    28a2syg.jpg

Happy news for me. Found my bike locked to a bike rack in temple bar today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

So you got it back? Probably already sold on

• Registered Users Posts: 24 earl28

Hi All,

My mother had her bike stolen from the Ikea car park in Ballymun last Friday afternoon. Here are the details:

Brand: Trek
    Model: Lexa (Women's)
    Colour: Blue Frame, Black wheels, white saddle

It has one red sticker under the saddle saying "Wheeler's 2017" and a yellow "Stagg's Cycles" sticker near the front of the crossbar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

earl28 wrote: »
    Hi All,

My mother had her bike stolen from the Ikea car park in Ballymun last Friday afternoon.

Spoke with her on the Alzheimer's Society Bray to Wexford cycle on Saturday. She did incredibly well given she was on a borrowed bike that didn't fully fit her. Hope the bike turns up on Done Deal or some other website.

For those who want a really good lock, I just posted on the Bargains thread about a Kryptonite New York lock for £50. Details here: http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1253758/products/kryptonite-new-york-std-nyl-lock-with-flexframe-bracket--3000-.aspx?utm_source=Ecommerce+List+-+Fat+Birds&utm_campaign=cf7bbf3cb8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07_17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3da1d2186d-cf7bbf3cb8-110123145&mc_cid=cf7bbf3cb8&mc_eid=5c2f909f8a

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Wilsonudevil

Jammy basta*d! I'm convinced my bike is in a shipping container on its way to Romania.

How did you get the bike unlocked? Did you have to involve the Guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Jammy basta*d! I'm convinced my bike is in a shipping container on its way to Romania.

How did you get the bike unlocked? Did you have to involve the Guards?
    Yep. Gardai came, and had to call the fire brigade to cut the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Delighted to hear you got the bike back. I wonder about this fire brigade nonsense though. I think I posted before asking if it is just training for them, in which case that is fine to be doing something useful while training newbies how to handle a large grinder or "jaws of life" if it was a pneumatic cutter -in a real life situation with passersby etc.

What type of lock was it? I wonder if this is some health & safety nonsense that a garda cannot use a simple grinder from lidl, which most people I know would be comfortable using. Even safer would be a bolt cutter. I have had to cut off padlocks with a cheapo short one from lidl, each garda station could easily have one of the big 42" badboys the pro thieves are said to use, you see them in youtube videos and can do most locks.

I expect it is treated as a training exercise, otherwise you might get a call out charge (and I presume if there was one you could have cut it off yourself as it would likely be hundreds).

Was there any talk of the gardai considering waiting to see the thief/"buyer of stolen property" return?

You would imagine a bolt cutter would be standard issue in the boot of a squad car should the need arise for them to access a property or something with a chained gate etc in an emergency :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This is a video, maybe posted before (even by me), showing them going through expensive motorbike chains with bolt cutters, many in under 30seconds with no noise of a grinder.

Most of these locks/chains do not even appear on bicycle sites for sale, likely considered too heavy and expensive for most.

I think some bolt cutters are limited in size and could not readily fit shackles of a certain size. So even if the steel was not super hardened they could not begin to think of cutting them. The standard kryt NY is 16mm and I think this was a limit for many cutters, the on guard is 16.8mm, the thicker mini NY is 18mm as is the NY usually marketed at motorbikes.

Even if it is quicker to get through a 16.8mm on guard with a grinder than a kryt NY at 16mm it might be wiser to have a 16.8mm which bolt cutters cannot even get purchase/start on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

I was half expecting someone to post here that their Giant OCR-1 that they just bought was stolen from Temple Bar.
    The thieves had the cheek to cut through the lock in broad daylight!
    Surely someone must have seen them at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

20139886_1269930913115571_6336774116958946677_n.jpg?oh=34a2066f09f61b70278e16993ca6bd19&oe=59ED6AE5
    Please everyone keep a look out for a stolen family cargo bike. Taken from Cabra, Dublin 7. It's MASSIVE, black with brown trim, has three wheels, a big black front trailer with rain cover frame attached. Make is Vogue Family Mover. It's possibly the only one in Ireland, I've never seen another. The bastards stole it, along with three huge locks and the thing doesn't even work properly right now (electric battery is missing). So no doubt it will get dumped somewhere. Please share widely! Two little boys very heartbroken. Thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1269930913115571&set=a.141012949340712.26758.100002960230481&type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Bike on sale on Facebook still with a lock on, seems a bit suspicious.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fayainz

Hi all,

My bike got stolen today from the bike lock up outside the Dunnes in Beacon South Quarter, Sandyford Industrial Estate in Dublin 18.

It's a La Pierre Edge SL 629 29 Mountain Bike 2017 (Large frame) and only 2 months old.
    The bike was locked up along with my wife's and the bust the lock and made off with my bike, leaving her bike a bit damaged. Clearly, they're targeting the more expensive bikes.

I'm new to boards.ie forum so I can't post a picture just yet. (need 5 posts)

If you have any information on how I can go about trying to recover my bike I'd appreciate it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Off topic posts deleted - please stick to stolen bikes

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fayainz wrote: »
    Hi all,

My bike got stolen today from the bike lock up outside the Dunnes in Beacon South Quarter, Sandyford Industrial Estate in Dublin 18.

It's a La Pierre Edge SL 629 29 Mountain Bike 2017 (Large frame) and only 2 months old.
    The bike was locked up along with my wife's and the bust the lock and made off with my bike, leaving her bike a bit damaged. Clearly, they're targeting the more expensive bikes.

If you have any information on how I can go about trying to recover my bike I'd appreciate it.

Catalogue Photo (Fayainz drop me a PM if incorrect shot)

Fiche_A131-EdgeSL-627-TQAV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fayainz

Won't let me PM anyone directly (min 25 posts) lol this is going to be fun...
    I hope this isn't breaking any rules but I am desperate to spread the news. Delete the [spaces] and change [dot] to . to get the url

https[space]://[space]photos[dot]app[dot]goo[dot]gl/lwL0yzCf6FEiBQLQ2

Won't let me PM anyone directly (min 25 posts) lol this is going to be fun...
    I hope this isn't breaking any rules but I am desperate to spread the news. Delete the [spaces] and change [dot] to . to get the url

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lwL0yzCf6FEiBQLQ2

W9Dg-oGjJBEH6VuJ7tVRlorMw8JBiSZ6HM3DvsQbyYEMvc6T9Ekzk7BKqwS9hGK9XQUrgeIK7NTn_vgxd-1niGwNZ8s-YxoCrE63ckXFPU2McFQdzKu3Z5rTQ3hw_vPVYzCAQN6lQuhz-FQpgNPwUmctGSnxXkij0ke5d4wgQzkDkqfLWjYW9DP1MQpWzP_XnElvZb-K3ko8hdZpU7RiFPvw23g8J5zx7OpScEx4bQrUKmkjwZr3Pue7ZxB8aj4rqnZLPYeCNNT3GUsJIvW12XnUn_iKUhhGYJwIGuoGOj-DY3F6LWxfcaG6TSLupUkN6fPAN5M8jx_eYtokeBMqRTeHJRvBGQXk9-1InYKrpRKrCbXJLcyzVk4TtYZq4JZy56KowB2E9JuYwDhYqYPzw28f9qSTsWmxiuwKZMQlMqIFwhm9H9WOQW3dZ_31zLuqBRYlqHncJ_aqujEmSuKkrF1A2P9Cs6QK15dpHN2IGxGpesQCwMJU1uK0E_JzQFGUEbQK1ArcIa5gGXV4K44XHNBaTtVD0IrLWpoD-KpMJfQrnZwJ-UoaSL9EWdvhCr6c8ErSvfVHvmE0rDNF-TEi4-dZTanZxKnrA7fsBqRMQ3mjbUtcP0r70GByoLdyonE_qWV3GNUaBojJ8Fbo1rKXoeJZJAXaF179aViftcwD7a_4RsQ=w851-h638-no

It might help if you ad some where/when detail.

Hopefully you get some luck it's very distinctive especially with those tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It might help if you ad some where/when detail.

Hopefully you get some luck it's very distinctive especially with those tyres.
    They did in their first post:
    Hi all,

Advertisement