Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Provided he got injured on the job, he is entitled to his ordinary wages. Unless there is some stipulation in the contract, his insurance will pay up.

He wasn't injured. They just don't want him anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Deano7788 wrote: »
    He wasn't injured. They just don't want him anymore.

Think he thought the question referred to Ali Williams.

Just reading that Evans only signed a pre - contract whatever that means, and that Toulon were looking to cut down on non - French players.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

...Toulon were looking to cut down on non - French players.

b45f67abed0f69113633f290ad478569.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    b45f67abed0f69113633f290ad478569.jpg

If they break the JIFF rules they will get in a lot of trouble, the LNR can withhold TV/marketing payments.

They'll be pretty stuck for a second row for the start of next season, Bakkies Botha will be playing RC with SA and Ali Williams is out injured. Gorgodze can play there but he'll be needed in the backrow with Fernandez Lobbe and possibly Juan Smith playing RC as well.

If they break the JIFF rules they will get in a lot of trouble, the LNR can withhold TV/marketing payments.

That's it exactly. Signing Taofifenua meant they needed one less lock, and if you've Ali Williams, Bakkies Botha and, erm, Ian Evans, which of them is going to get the bullet? No-brainer really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Quentin MacDonald back to NZ to play for the Chiefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Quentin MacDonald back to NZ to play for the Chiefs.

Gratitude to the man for his service.

I must say he's the only hooker to play for Munster, that I can remember, who never made a fault in his line-out throwing. He looked very light but he did his job well.

Ian Evans signs for Bristol after his Toulon contract was rescinded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

What a weird decision. Exeter and Scarlets were supposedly interested in him. He's gone from a Lion to playing in the 2nd tier of English rugby in 12 months.

They have serious money behind them and will be odds-on for promotion next season I'd say. Still, a serious step down from Toulon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Surprised Oxford Welsh didn't go for him. They are buying a new squad after all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They have serious money behind them and will be odds-on for promotion next season I'd say. Still, a serious step down from Toulon.

Step down from Ospreys and Lanelli too!

Mad decision if you ask me.

The RFU Championship is very competitive there is a drop off after the top 4 but considering only 1 team goes up it's still mad eg last year Bristol and Welsh won 19 games, Leeds 18, and Rotherham 17.

He's risking his RWC (as close to a home RWC as you can get). Must be getting serious cash and he's in his prime now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Bristol have huge backers behind them and are throwing big cash around. They must have been gutted to not get promoted. They have to be certainties to go up this year. I hope that Worcester spoil the party.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Bristol have huge backers behind them and are throwing big cash around. They must have been gutted to not get promoted. They have to be certainties to go up this year. I hope that Worcester spoil the party.

They were "certainties" to go up last year and it didn't happen. With the promotion play off there is really no guarantee of anything. It's a weird and stupid decision.

Transfer XV:

1. De Marchi (Treviso to Sale)
    2. Hibbard (Ospreys to Gloucester)
    3. Figallo (Montpellier to Saracens - if he gets back fit!)
    4. Hamilton (Montpellier to Saracens)
    5. Douglas (Waratahs to Leinster)
    6. Mowen (Brumbies to Montpellier)
    7. Smith (Suntory to Lyon)
    8. Gorgodze (Montpellier to Toulon)
    9. Laidlaw (Edinburgh to Gloucester)
    10. Flood (Leicester to Toulouse)
    11. Dulin (Castres to Racing Métro)
    12. Burgess (NRL to Bath)
    13. Davies (Scarlets to Clermont)
    14. O'Connor (London Irish to Toulon)
    15. Halfpenny (Cardiff to Toulon)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Transfer XV:

It's a pity to see that this list of top transfers includes 5 that are leaving the Pro12 & only 1 coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

Transfer XV:

thought i heard he was being considered for backrow by bath?

leonard7 wrote: »
    thought i heard he was being considered for backrow by bath?

Bit of a guess on my part! I assumed Bath were looking to use him at centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Bit of a guess on my part! I assumed Bath were looking to use him at centre.

Think they are but they are saying they are going to play him at 8 because the rfu didn't help them with the transfer fee.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Wow Nick Cummins off to Japan, didn't expect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The translators will have to earn their salt there...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Winters wrote: »
    Wow Nick Cummins off to Japan, didn't expect that.

I read in the comments on PR that two of his seven siblings have cystic fibrosis, and his single father, I.e. their only carer, has prostate cancer. Forfeiting a world cup place to bring in extra money for his family, which is pretty admirable (if that story is indeed true).

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I read in the comments on PR that two of his seven siblings have cystic fibrosis, and his single father, I.e. their only carer, has prostate cancer. Forfeiting a world cup place to bring in extra money for his family, which is pretty admirable (if that story is indeed true).

Ah, this makes a lot more sense so:
    My family is currently enduring some extremely difficult times in terms of their health and well being and my time in Japan will hopefully provide me with the opportunity to give back to and provide some certainty for my family during this difficult time.The ARU and Rugby WA are aware of these circumstances and have been extremely supportive and considerate of the cards that I have been dealt. I am grateful for their understanding and flexibility in granting me this opportunity.
    It was a difficult decision to make in the context of a Rugby World Cup next year, but the health and well being of my family is paramount and the move to Japan is something I have to do for them. I now must put my own interests in the World Cup aside.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/nick-cummins-quits-australian-rugby-for-japan-20140704-zsvlk.html#ixzz36UbP6Q85

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Nick comes from a family of 8 siblings, two of whom have cystic fibrosis, looked after in rural Queensland by their single parent father who also has prostate cancer.

Massive amounts of respect for him putting his family before his personal goals. Interesting insight into his life, in the below interview.

Fair play, putting family over the big stage of a World Cup is very admirable. I'd love to see him in a Munster jersey some day!

Reading rugbyrama there's a comment that says the Japanese city in question has one of the best cancer treatment centres in the world and the club are paying for Cummins' father's treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

It is true about his family circumstances, it is well known in Aussie circles. Tough decision and one that may make the Aussies think about their policy on picking oversea players for the national team. They might have no choice like the boks but to select players based abroad.

Stanza2 wrote: »
    It is true about his family circumstances, it is well known in Aussie circles. Tough decision and one that may make the Aussies think about their policy on picking oversea players for the national team. They might have no choice like the boks but to select players based abroad.

Would I be right in saying that South African domestic players get paid a lot less than their Australian or New Zealand counterparts? The SA rand has collapsed in the last few years: 1 Euro gets you 14.67 rand as of today while today fours years ago 1 Euro was 9.66 rand.

I imagine South Africans see a much larger increase in wages than Oz/NZers. Plus South Africa is part of the Kolpak agreement meaning they are not treated as "non-EU players" in European club squads. Unless Australians or Kiwis can get hold of a British or PI passport then they won't have as many offers due to their countries not being part of Kolpak. In short the South African union has a much more difficult task keeping players in domestic sides than Oz or NZ.

You'd be concerned about the career longevity of European based Springboks playing a near 12 month season. The Argentinian stars (Fernandez Lobbe, Imhoff, Hernandez) were rested in June but SA played full strength sides. Playing for almost 2 years non-stop probably contributed to Rocky Elsom's near retirement (he's playing for Narbonne next year!), I'd fear the same for someone like Pienaar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I didnt think the Badge could possibly go up in my estimation and then he does something like this. What a top guy.

You'd really think the Australian union would make an exception about the overseas player rule on compassionate grounds. I know every player that leaves is doing it for their financial security and families but this is a very special case. Any player that ever says "But Nick Cummins did it" probably isnt a guy you want representing the Green and Gold.

Gutted I wont be seeing the badge at Lansdowne Road in Autumn. I missed the game last year and he is my favourite player.

• Advertisement

I didnt think the Badge could possibly go up in my estimation and then he does something like this. What a top guy.

You'd really think the Australian union would make an exception about the overseas player rule on compassionate grounds. I know every player that leaves is doing it for their financial security and families but this is a very special case. Any player that ever says "But Nick Cummins did it" probably isnt a guy you want representing the Green and Gold.

Gutted I wont be seeing the badge at Lansdowne Road in Autumn. I missed the game last year and he is my favourite player.

Maybe they were willing to make an exception, but a World Cup campaign could mean up to 2 months away from home (Japan) plus training camps and warm up matches in different countries. That amount of time away from family is probably a non-runner for Cummins under the circumstances.

Advertisement