Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Is Richard Kahui in Japan as well? He looked like being a star about four years ago.

He has shoulders made out of glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

molloyjh wrote: »
    Seems to be the norm these days doesn't it?

I met a fellow boardsie at a game once and he told me he started a very unrealistic rumour about Munster. And that it turned up in the Independent a day or two later.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

Racing Metro expected to announce Johan Goosen signing tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Tikoiratuma from the Chiefs is off to Quins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Mike Brown, Tikoiratuma and Yarde is a very potent back-three.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Serious business done by Racing Metro; confirmed that Yoann Audrin, Brice Dulin, Johan Goosen, Antonie Claasen, Anton Peikrishvili, Teddy Thomas, Casey Laulala and Luke Charteris are all joining for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Wow, that's a lot of new names again. They will show improvements again next season but having such a big turnover cant be easy for continuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Couple of guys there will really make a big impact, especially in the backs. Imhoff and Hernandez are top notch players but have the flakey gene imo. Dulin, Lualala and Goosen will give them some serious options there.

A possible starting backline of

Machenaud
    Sexton
    Imhoff
    Roberts
    Lualala
    Hernandez
    Dulin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Winters wrote: »
    Wow, that's a lot of new names again. They will show improvements again next season but having such a big turnover cant be easy for continuity.

They're clearing out some of the guys who have contributed nothing; the likes of Tongaui'ha, Mujati, Estebanez. Wiesnewski and Fall are gone too but probably replaced by better players.

I think Racing will definitely be stronger next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »
    Couple of guys there will really make a big impact, especially in the backs. Imhoff and Hernandez are top notch players but have the flakey gene imo. Dulin, Lualala and Goosen will give them some serious options there.

A possible starting backline of

Machenaud
    Sexton
    Imhoff
    Roberts
    Lualala
    Hernandez
    Dulin

Hernandez on the wing? I reckon he'll be a benching utility back with Dulin as cover for the wing. Thomas or Andreu should be the other starting winger.

Claassen as a number eight is a brilliant signing for them, top player.

I'll be intrigued to see how Laulala goes. He is past his prime and Chavancy is a good 13 in his prime now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah I wouldn't be over the moon in signing Lualala though he will link up with Roberts again!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

La Rochelle signed Stormers 10 Peter Grant and Tahs wing Alofa Alofa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Good signings. Alofa is a good winger and Grant is a really good place kicker. He had a crazily good season with the Stormers a coupe of years ago. 50 out of 54.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

La Rochelle signed Stormers 10 Peter Grant and Tahs wing Alofa Alofa

The rate it's going SA super rugby will be a joke. As it is only the sharks are likely to reach the playoffs. The rand is just so weak. How JdV & BdP are still playing in SA I'm amazed.

The SARFU opened the floodgates and the masses have poured thru. A dime a dozen for a sarfie in your team soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

La Rochelle signed Jason Eaton as well

La Rochelle signed Jason Eaton as well

So much promise, ultimately unrealised. In his breakthru season he looked like a longterm AB, then an injury from memory, and mediocre ever since. Solid but not spectacular.

IN
    Anton Peikrishvili (prop, Castres), Luke Charteris (lock, Perpignan), Thibault Dubarry (lock, Biarritz), Antonie Claassen (n8, Castres), Johan Goosen (fly-half, Cheetahs), Casey Laulala (centre, Munster), Yoan Audrin (winger, Montpellier), Teddy Thomas (winger, Biarritz), Brice Dulin (fullback, Castres)

OUT:
    Soane Tonga'uiha (prop, Oyonnax), Karim Ghezal (lock, Lyon), Antoine Battut (flanker, Montpellier), Masi Matadigo (n8, Lyon), Jone Qovu (n8, La Rochelle), Otilo Kafotamaki (n8, Narbonne), Jonathan Wisniewski (fly-half, Grenoble), Fabrice Estebanez (centre, Lyon), Virimi Vakatawa (winger, France VII), Benjamin Fall (fullback, Montpellier)

A lot of the deadwood is gone out of Racing, Tonga'uiha in particular was a disaster. One loss they didn't want is Antoine Battut who was their captain at times this season.

Possible team (in bold are French qualified):

Brugnaut, Szarzewski, Ducalcon, Charteris, Kruger, Lydiate, Le Roux, Claassen,
    Machenaud, Sexton, Imhoff, Roberts, Laulala, Andreu, Dulin

Bench: Lacombe, Ben Arous, Mujati, Dubarry, Lauret, Phillips, Goosen, Hernandez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

I can't understand how the winger Vakatawa never got a look in and is now off to play sevens. He has unbelievable talent. Saw him the season before last and at times he was unplayable. I'm surprised nobody is looking at taking a punt on him.

How many back rows have Lyon signed?

George Smith, Matadigo, Pierrick Gunther, Deon Fourie can play back row, Julien Puricelli. They are after Koleleshvilli from Clermont and still have the likes of Leguizamon already there.

They'll be watched with interest next year.

I'm not sure what happened with Vakatawa. Toulon were reportedly interested this time last year (Vakatawa is JIFF) but nothing came from it.

The last time Lyon came up they signed a virtually new team as well and they were relegated. This team looks a lot more impressive than the equivalent last time though! I'd be surprised to see them relegated.

Folau to Toulon? If Wilkinson was on 750-800k then surely Folau could demand in excess of a million! Would be class to see him in Europe some day.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9343922,00.html

Then again this is being reported by Midi Olympique who need to fill column inches in the post season.

• Advertisement

Folau to Toulon? If Wilkinson was on 750-800k then surely Folau could demand in excess of a million! Would be class to see him in Europe some day.

Then again this is being reported by Midi Olympique who need to fill column inches in the post season.

Folau was very close to a return to the NRL before resigning with the ARU, will more than likely head back to that before coming up north

I'd say that'd be a month worth of wetdreams for you there thomond.

I'd like to see Folau do a SOB or JH, and say screw the money I'm proud to play for my province and country.

At least for a few years anyway. There's no doubt Aussie will have to break the bank to keep Folau, most exciting back since Lomu.

He's a player that I believe the IRFU / one of the provinces should make a big money move for. I think you'd get a lot more people through the turnstiles for the Pro12 to watch him play. If possible I'd prefer to see the provinces bring in one or two foreign marquee names as opposed to four or five lesser players.

He's a player that I believe the IRFU / one of the provinces should make a big money move for. I think you'd get a lot more people through the turnstiles for the Pro12 to watch him play.

Don't think the Irish provinces have the pull. As you say, he'd command a million plus a season. It'll be Aussie, Japan, or France for mine.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Don't think the Irish provinces have the pull. As you say, he'd command a million plus a season. It'll be Aussie, Japan, or France for mine.

Not Japan please! I get why players go (hard to turn down silly money a la SBW or Jaque Fourie) but they become invisible to the rest of us.

You'd wonder how sustainable that Japanese model is. Do the matches get good attendances or is it just an ego trip for all the companies trying to outdo one another? At least they have strict limits on foreign players so that the domestic players aren't blocked.

On a similar topic as Folau, Karmichael Hunt is looking set to snub the NRL and head to Union to the Reds from AFL. Another guy whose gonna command all sorts of 0's on his contract

Not Japan please! I get why players go (hard to turn down silly money a la SBW or Jaque Fourie) but they become invisible to the rest of us.

You'd wonder how sustainable that Japanese model is. Do the matches get good attendances or is it just an ego trip for all the companies trying to outdo one another? At least they have strict limits on foreign players so that the domestic players aren't blocked.

No idea. They pay the locals peanuts, and the SANZAR imports bucketloads.

I for one hope he stays in Aussie. The hypocrisy on this forum does my head in, gnashing of teeth/wailing about Murray, SOB, JH etc going to France, more than happy to pilfer other countries though. Guess it's human nature.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    No idea. They pay the locals peanuts, and the SANZAR imports bucketloads.

I for one hope he stays in Aussie. The hypocrisy on this forum does my head in, gnashing of teeth/wailing about Murray, SOB, JH etc going to France, more than happy to pilfer other countries though. Guess it's human nature.

I agree, think Folau should stay, but I don't think he'll stay in Union too long. NRL is where he made his name, he'll end up back there. Especially with the new Marquee player deals which now have no effect on clubs salary cap. NRL very upset at losing Burgess, SBW and not getting Hunt & Folau back so taking drastic action to get/keep the best league players in league.

Harinordoquy rumoured to be going to Toulouse. They need cover as Nyanga, Dusautoir and Picamoles will be limited to 30 matches for club and country next season under the new LNR/FFR agreement.

• Advertisement

I agree, think Folau should stay, but I don't think he'll stay in Union too long. NRL is where he made his name, he'll end up back there. Especially with the new Marquee player deals which now have no effect on clubs salary cap. NRL very upset at losing Burgess, SBW and not getting Hunt & Folau back so taking drastic action to get/keep the best league players in league.

We'll see. League is really only taken seriously in Australia plus working class Northern England and working class NZ (mainly Auckland), whereas rugby is now a global sport. Folau could do serious marketing deals based off worldwide rugby fame.

Advertisement