Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

As far as representing your country go, there really is only cricket and Union for Aussies. That has to be worth something as far as the attraction of choosing a code goes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

As far as representing your country go, there really is only cricket and Union for Aussies. That has to be worth something as far as the attraction of choosing a code goes?

It's behind footie & I'm guessing the NRL guys see their code as higher in the pecking order than union

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Soccer is close to being the most popular sport in Australia. It has exploded there in the past decade. They had 80k at their last WC qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi. wrote: »
    No idea. They pay the locals peanuts, and the SANZAR imports bucketloads.

I for one hope he stays in Aussie. The hypocrisy on this forum does my head in, gnashing of teeth/wailing about Murray, SOB, JH etc going to France, more than happy to pilfer other countries though. Guess it's human nature.

To be honest I don't think there is that much wailing about the big guns possibly leaving, rational people can see why the players do it and as annoying as it is there's nothing you can do about it, you just have to cross everything and hope for the best... something fans of all countries will be able to relate to over the next while...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Buer wrote: »
    Soccer is close to being the most popular sport in Australia. It has exploded there in the past decade. They had 80k at their last WC qualifier.

Lived in Australia for 2 years and soccer is nowhere near the most popular sport in the country. AFL gets crowds of 80k to 100k week in week out.

IMO the most popular sports in order are cricket, afl, nrl, tennis with soccer and rugby about the same. Not to mention alot of the Olympic sports which are extremely popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sorry, I should have said it's popularity is in terms of playing numbers. The attendance of the national side's game was as much to highlight that it's a widely supported game in terms of a sport with an international element.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Lived in Australia for 2 years and soccer is nowhere near the most popular sport in the country. AFL gets crowds of 80k to 100k week in week out.

IMO the most popular sports in order are cricket, afl, nrl, tennis with soccer and rugby about the same. Not to mention alot of the Olympic sports which are extremely popular.

i think it depends where you are to be honest in melbourne afl is king and nothing else comes close. from what i saw of queensland and to a lesser extent new south wales it seems to be the same for nil didn't get to perth but iv heard its a mix of afl and soccer over there

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The golf buggy company in Newport will be having a party tonight: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9345016,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

GiftofGab wrote: »

Basket Ball is getting extremely popular, and with Exum likely to go high in the draft, its going to explode over there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hopefully he has put the personal issues to bed. From following his Twitter he doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer, I hope he keeps his head down and it works out for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

Teferi wrote: »
    Hopefully he has put the personal issues to bed. From following his Twitter he doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer, I hope he keeps his head down and it works out for him.

Powell?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Very interesting transfer news again coming from Oz. Ben Te'o from NRL side South Sydney Rabbitohs is leaving to play Union. He's copped (and still is copping) a fair amount of stick from supporters all over Oz following allegations (which were proven untrue) that he beat a woman on a night out. He's been linked with joining Leinster.

For those who don't know him, he's a bruising enforcer for both South Sydney and the Queensland Maroons. He has very good hands but isn't the quickest. Would make a useful 6 or 8. Oz media believe he'll be a centre but I think he lacks the subtlety to be a 13 as linked. More of a bruising 12 or backrower.

Watch this space Leinster fans

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Watch this space Leinster fans

But but but....

Russell Crowe said the South Sydney Rabbitos couldn't play rugby union? It's a different sport no?

Bordeaux have signed six foreigners, 19 and under, for their academy. If they stay for three years they will qualify as French produced. This is one of the main JIFF loopholes a la the homegrown rule in the English Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

What countries have they signed them from out of interest?

Teferi wrote: »
    What countries have they signed them from out of interest?

3 Kiwis, 1 Scot, 1 Aussie and 1 Fijian.

http://www.rugby-transferts.com/top-14/bordeaux-begles/0025813-bordeaux-begles-6-jeunes-etrangers-arrivent.html

The JIFF rule is really good for second tier nations like Fiji and Georgia as their young players can be in a professional environment where their JIFF status will mean they'll have a better chance of getting contracts. However I fear a time when the French clubs will be watching youth competitions like the Schools Cup intently to see if they can recruit Ireland's best young players for their academies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

3 Kiwis, 1 Scot, 1 Aussie and 1 Fijian.

http://www.rugby-transferts.com/top-14/bordeaux-begles/0025813-bordeaux-begles-6-jeunes-etrangers-arrivent.html

The JIFF rule is really good for second tier nations like Fiji and Georgia as their young players can be in a professional environment where their JIFF status will mean they'll have a better chance of getting contracts. However I fear a time when the French clubs will be watching youth competitions like the Schools Cup intently to see if they can recruit Ireland's best young players for their academies.

Not so good for the nations if they become nationalised and play for France.good for the individual perhaps.the French clubs are apparently plundering the island nations. New Zealand will probably have a problem with it if their monoply is affected!

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Not so good for the nations if they become nationalised and play for France.good for the individual perhaps.the French clubs are apparently plundering the island nations. New Zealand will probably have a problem with it if their monoply is affected!

They don't have to play for France though to be JIFF. The French clubs are scouting the islands but it doesn't mean those players won't play for their island

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

TBH the national team is going to get worse, and worse, and worse... I can see by 2020 France will be the regular whipping boys in the 6N.

.ak wrote: »
    TBH the national team is going to get worse, and worse, and worse... I can see by 2020 France will be the regular whipping boys in the 6N.

There's nothing they can do about the French produced versus French qualified issue, it's an employment law issue.

Ireland does alright with what, about 50 IQ starters each weekend with the provinces? France will have at least double that in FQ starters (educated guess) in the Top14. If a young French player is blocked there's plenty of clubs he can move to. I think the whole excuse of foreigners taken der jerbs is a cop out tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

There's nothing they can do about the French produced versus French qualified issue, it's an employment law issue.

Ireland does alright with what, about 50 IQ starters each weekend with the provinces? France will have at least double that in FQ starters (educated guess) in the Top14. If a young French player is blocked there's plenty of clubs he can move to. I think the whole excuse of foreigners taken der jerbs is a cop out tbh.

I think the issue is more how you manage the NIQs like the IRFU attempted to

If all 4 provinces had a NIQ Out-Half we might run into issues pretty quickly etc

Italian soccer in the 1990s ran into big issues as all the top clubs had foreign strikers

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's different when the talent is spread loosely across 14+ clubs though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Lanelli have signed Chris Hala'ufia from London Irish. He's only real+ly been a bit part player for them for the last couple of seasons and all I really know about him is that he's clocked 12 yellows and a red in 86+19 appearances in the Aviva!!

Ian Evans is not going to Toulon anymore. Toulon signed Romain Taofifenua from relegated Perpignan so Evans is now surplus to requirements. They will have Bakkies, Williams, Suta, Taofifenua and Mikautadze on the books next year, plus Gorgodze who has played there at times.

However Ali Williams could miss a large part of the season because of shoulder surgery so Toulon may need to sign a medical joker. They have already signed a young TH prop (tbc) to cover Castrogiovanni's absence for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Ian Evans is not going to Toulon anymore. Toulon signed Romain Taofifenua from relegated Perpignan so Evans is now surplus to requirements. They will have Bakkies, Williams, Suta, Taofifenua and Mikautadze on the books next year, plus Gorgodze who has played there at times.

However Ali Williams could miss a large part of the season because of shoulder surgery so Toulon may need to sign a medical joker. They have already signed a young TH prop (tbc) to cover Castrogiovanni's absence for a few months.

So what happens there I wonder? Does he get a pay off?

Winters wrote: »

He probably did get some form of compensation. The rumour was Toulon expected Evans to retire from Wales duty (which I'm certain is against some kind of IRB regulation - inducing a player to not play internationals etc) and when he didn't they released him from the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The English still persist with League converts with limited success. Joel Tomkins has returned to League with Wigan.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/27914844

Will Burgess be any better at Bath?

Saracens paid £250,000 as a transfer fee to sign him and he was on big wages. Complete waste. He was poor last autumn and he probably knew he hadn't a hope of getting near the England squad again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Provided he got injured on the job, he is entitled to his ordinary wages. Unless there is some stipulation in the contract, his insurance will pay up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Maybe he didn't actually sign?

Advertisement