Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ideally, we'd have JJ-Keatley as the 10-12 going forward.

Obviously it's good for them to have competition, keep them on their toes.

I've seen no evidence that JJ is good enough, nor has the potential, to be better than Keatley at 10. I know a lot of people are big fans of his and won't agree, but Keatley has really grown into the role at Munster and, while JJ is younger, I think his development has stalled and he shows no sign of being as good as those fans claim he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Zzippy wrote: »
    I've seen no evidence that JJ is good enough, nor has the potential, to be better than Keatley at 10. I know a lot of people are big fans of his and won't agree, but Keatley has really grown into the role at Munster and, while JJ is younger, I think his development has stalled and he shows no sign of being as good as those fans claim he is.

JJ seems to be further along in his development than Keatley was at the same age. Seems strange that you thing he has less potential than Keatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ideally, we'd have JJ-Keatley as the 10-12 going forward.

Obviously it's good for them to have competition, keep them on their toes.

The simple fact is that there is no one behind JJ and Keatley. Holland is leaving and Scannell still has a lot to learn. Munster need at least 3 players who can play 10 and 12 if they want to play the style of rugby they want next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

We will have to see how he progresses I suppose. I think we'd all like to see him become a top player.
    I also think the media and us as fans put a lot of pressure for younger players to produce solid consistent performances from a young age. Some players are so talented they do, some take longer to develop and some sadly don't develop in the players we have high hope they will become. I think we need patience foremost for younger lads to come through the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

This is the Keatley who was let go from Leinster without playing a game at the age JJ is now in fairness. You're talking about the development of a 21 year old outhalf "stalling", J Sexton didn't start a H Cup game till he was 23.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I have to disagree with you there. First of all, I think Keatley is better at 12 than at 10. And JJ is a hugely gifted player... he's not the finished article yet, but I would definitely disagree with saying that his development has stalled.

Stuff like his tries against Perpignan and Glasgow, you can't really teach that kind of thing. His general distribution is excellent, he has a lovely, wristy pass; I think he's a better distributor from 10 than Keatley already. And then you've got his goalkicking which is mostly excellent.

His decision-making can be questionable, he has thrown some high-risk passes... kicking the ball away against Edinburgh cost us, and I remember him running into TOD towards the end of a crucial match giving away a penalty. Some of his tactical kicking is a bit off at times, but some of it is excellent.

He has a lot to learn, but he has the basics and I reckon he will be a super 10- ROG, Sexton, Jackson all made mistakes on their upward learning curve, everyone does. Plus the fact that we have looked better then this season when they've both been on the field together, generally with JJ at 10.

The simple fact is that there is no one behind JJ and Keatley. Holland is leaving and Scannell still has a lot to learn. Munster need at least 3 players who can play 10 and 12 if they want to play the style of rugby they want next season.

That is true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'll be very happy to be proved wrong about JJ, and maybe I am being a bit harsh on a young player, actually thought he was older than that. Maybe it's the hype from some fanboys, calling for him to start ahead of Keatley when he clearly wasn't playing well enough to merit it. Keatley was IMO the player of the year for Munster this year, and I honestly think JJ has a lot of improving to do to push him out of the starting 10 spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Josh Furno gone to Newcastle, that's a great signing for a club at their level. He wouldn't have been a bad lock signing for Leinster but he would miss parts of the season with the Azzurri.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Josh Furno gone to Newcastle, that's a great signing for a club at their level. He wouldn't have been a bad lock signing for Leinster but he would miss parts of the season with the Azzurri.

Yeah, but tbh leinster have a ridiculous record during international windows. And our Ireland representation is probably gonna dip anyway.

Shame we didn't pick him up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'll be very happy to be proved wrong about JJ, and maybe I am being a bit harsh on a young player, actually thought he was older than that. Maybe it's the hype from some fanboys, calling for him to start ahead of Keatley when he clearly wasn't playing well enough to merit it. Keatley was IMO the player of the year for Munster this year, and I honestly think JJ has a lot of improving to do to push him out of the starting 10 spot.

I'm calling for JJ ahead of Keatley at 10 but Keatley starting at 12 because I think Keatley has shown up very well at 12 when he has played there.

I would imagine next season (if Munster do want to play a game with a second five eights) that we will see 10. Hanrahan 12 Keatley 22 Blydenhal as the way things work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Could have sworn this was the transfers thread....

That aside, is there a reason for assuming TB only makes the bench if IK & JJ are available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Swiwi. wrote: »

That aside, is there a reason for assuming TB only makes the bench if IK & JJ are available?

Well if hes 4th choice back home, the very best he can hope for here is 3rd choice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Well if hes 4th choice back home, the very best he can hope for here is 3rd choice ;)

Maybe so. I'm just playing devil's advocate. I might have downplayed TB a bit, but on the other hand he did play for the NZ U20 - as captain no less - so I don't think it's inevitable that he will end up playing 2nd fiddle to JJ & IK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Maybe so. I'm just playing devil's advocate. I might have downplayed TB a bit, but on the other hand he did play for the NZ U20 - as captain no less - so I don't think it's inevitable that he will end up playing 2nd fiddle to JJ & IK.

I wouldnt say thats impossible but Munster will be looking to develop JJ (who also wasn't bad as an u20) and he will get a lot of faith and patience, and I think thats right given his potential. While Keatley also has a fair bit of credit in the bag after the Toulon performance (although I dont think he was that great this season overall)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Spent about 5 mins looking at this post wondering when Mushy Buckley had re-signed for Munster, and for what possible reason he could be on the bench in that instance :o

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I remember him having a shocker from the boot at the start of the season. That's one thing the Munster faithful will demand from their 10.
    With IK and JJ there, I wonder if TB well See a lot more of the 12 short than 10. I didn't know much about him in centre though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I never expect sh imports who have played super rugby and itm/currie cup to impress in year one. Its a long season and they have settle in with a new system. So for year one I expect him to be wearing 22 a lot with Keatley and Hanrahan starting 10/12. Things may well change in his second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

I see John Andress has been released by Worcester.

Also released Euan Murray. Deffo budget related with Murray - he was their highest paid player.

Releasing Andress though seems strange, unless they really don't rate him. Any space for him in the provinces?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Andress was way out of favour there and, from reading their fan forum before Murray was signed, he was very hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

cp wrote: »
    I see John Andress has been released by Worcester.

Also released Euan Murray. Deffo budget related with Murray - he was their highest paid player.

Releasing Andress though seems strange, unless they really don't rate him. Any space for him in the provinces?

Murray might be a tidy bit of business for Ulster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

hype101 wrote: »

How does he feel about Friday nights in close proximity to a church?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

hype101 wrote: »

Especially because Ulster already hardly ever play Sundays, and Ulster is a squad I believe which does have a strong Christian (but non sectarian) religious Ethos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

errlloyd wrote: »
    Especially because Ulster already hardly ever play Sundays, and Ulster is a squad I believe which does have a strong Christian (but non sectarian) religious Ethos.

Dear Errlloyd,

If ever there could be a winner of the "this sounds so wrong it is probably right award" post it `would be yours!:eek:

Unfortunately you phrased it incorrectly, hopefully intoxicated, and it just reads as an assault upon Ulster and the majority of people on the planet that do believe in something...

PS. RB ain't from Ulster and doesn't believe in much....except phrasing things better;)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

I think he phrased it pretty spot on actually, but for fear of dragging this thread off topic i'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

errlloyd wrote: »
    Well said. To qualify, Christians, by definition, are non sectarian. You can't be a Christian and be a bigot......... Sadly misunderstood by many 'religious' people....:D:D
    Darwin has it for me...

Originally written off as an April Fools by the club, Oyonnax have signed Soane Tonga'uiha from Racing. One of the flops of the season, Tonga'uiha hasn't been seen in a 23 for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally written off as an April Fools by the club, Oyonnax have signed Soane Tonga'uiha from Racing. One of the flops of the season, Tonga'uiha hasn't been seen in a 23 for weeks.

What a fall from grace. Scrum law changes really don't suit him as well.

Winters wrote: »
    What a fall from grace. Scrum law changes really don't suit him as well.

Apparently he was on between €400k and €500k. Some waste of money.

• Advertisement

Hook apparently in talks with Ospreys. It would be great for the Pro12 to see him return. It would be the best move for his World Cup prospects.

Advertisement