Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Olympic Athletics Days - which one?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A brother had applied for a potential 6grands worth, got £49 quid taken. He's not happy.

I had applied for a couple of early sessions of athletics, but must have only put down for the cheapest ticket prices if they are claiming that there were £40 ones available still. They will all be gone within 30seconds of the second sale happening of course.

Going to try via that French site before then though, just need to find someone who can read foreign for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I think you had to register on that French site by midnight last night...

That BBC article doesn't give much hope, it says all the athletics finals are sold out. I did consider going for some of the morning sessions but they were slim pickings.

Still find it hard to believe that out of 7 or 8 nights straight I got exactly 0 tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Those prices get more ludicrous the more I think about it. I mean who in their right mind would pay 150 pounds to watch athletics premlims? Seriously, some of those morning sessions are rubbish, and there is barely anything on the schedule. Whoever would pay 150 pounds to watch Decathlon 400 metre races needs his/her head examined by a qualified medical professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Balls!

Erm, I think balls. I just checked my account and I've scored some tickets. Way more than I can afford though.

Is there anyway you can check what tickets you have?

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Balls!

Erm, I think balls. I just checked my account and I've scored some tickets. Way more than I can afford though.

Is there anyway you can check what tickets you have?

You won't find out until the end of this month when they send you details of which sessions you've got. The only thing I can suggest is to look at what you ordered and try to work out what you got based on that and what you got charged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

G-Money wrote: »
    I think you had to register on that French site by midnight last night...
    Just about got registered in time last night. It being a French site there was no English translation of course, but they then sent me an email and logon details by email which Google translated for me ans says that I'll be able to try in the first sale they do. In theory the foreign sites should still have cheap tickets available for events, but they will go in the first few seconds for anything interesting.

Ah what a head wrecker.

I've either got three days of track and field including some track finals
    OR
    two tickets to the bleeding gymnastics which I mistakenly booked costing me 900 sterling when I meant only to pay 90 or so. :D:eek:

I've applied for four track sessions but if I got a particular set of three, they too would cost 900.

You've got the gymnastics then.

Murphy's Law suggests gymnastics. Which I'll have to wait till next year to flog to some wealthy Russian or Chinese gym fan.

I'm holding out hope that the high booking fee charges is due to the three t&f sessions

robinph wrote: »
    Just about got registered in time last night. It being a French site there was no English translation of course, but they then sent me an email and logon details by email which Google translated for me ans says that I'll be able to try in the first sale they do. In theory the foreign sites should still have cheap tickets available for events, but they will go in the first few seconds for anything interesting.

According to James Pearce the BBC Sports presenter, only 4000 registered for that french site and there will be plenty of tickets to go around. The downside, you may be obliged to take hotel accommodation at the same time. Not a big deal for me, I needed accommodation anyway.

• Advertisement

The registration process was talking about accommodation and how will you get there, but the Google translation wouldn't be a reliable indicator of if they were asking in a "You will have to take accommodation and Eurostar" type way or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

Am I too late?? :mad:

Segment on Skynews currently running re The 1 Million that did get tickets and The ? Marks over the whereabouts, and allocation, of tickets generally. Numbers being released in full next week.

In the interim, their interviewee recommended the French and German sites, and the futher lottery ballots.

Re the mornings sessions, they were empty in Athens.

We were in different spots in the stadium every night of the athlethics, highlight (location wise) being the athlethes in the Men's 100m Final running towards us. Spectacular.

On the night of Sonia's final, we were in The Gods. Nosebleeding stuff. Down below The Corporate Sections were practically empty (no more than 1/10 full). It was like we were in the upper tier of The Hogan Stand, and 2 lower tiers of The Cusack Stand were empty. I told my dad I'd attempt to get in and, if I did, I'd wave the Irish flag and that was his signal to come down. And down he came, along with at least 30 other Tricolour-clad party-goers from All-Over-The-Shop! In fairness to Sonia she acknowledged the support (thru the pain) and I've seen 'us' a few times when that footage has been replayed!

Oh, what was my point?! Corporate Freebies. Not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I also registered last night Robin. I can't seem to get to the stage now to use the password they sent me though.
    Have you succeded in validating the password?

Just had a look at it again and I can't even see where we would login. :confused:

Just had a look at it again and I can't even see where we would login. :confused:

Neither can I.

My guess/hope is that you can't login until the actual day they go on sale.

Hopefully.
    It would be good to have a french speaker at hand for next Monday. That translate thing isn't that accurate.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Hopefully.
    It would be good to have a french speaker at hand for next Monday. That translate thing isn't that accurate.

It's handy being related to a professor of linguistics who speaks 50 million different languages and being able to hand the booking duties over to them, unfortunately it also means handing over my CC details but I know his mother so it's OK. :D

So that means we might still have got tickets in the first round if I'm reading that right. Coe was getting a bit confused himself on Breakfast this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

Would the charge have been completely processed by Ticketing office yet for a Visadebit card?

It seems like I've been unlucky despite applying for over 1100 pounds worth of tkts.

• Advertisement

Anyone get to log on to that French site today? It won't connect for me.

I did, I was able to connect alright but the purchasing options were poor. You could choose a package which include Olympic tickets and accommodation but it was extortion. The cheapest package I could see was about €915 which was for 2 nights I think and tickets to ONE athletics event along with tickets to some other event like gymnastics or something. No harm to them, but I've little or no interest in those sports.

The option to buy just an Olympic ticket for Athletics was there but the only ticket for sale was a morning athletics event for €216. Complete rip-off so I didn't bother buying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

So I found out today that I got one ticket anyway. I'm happy 'cause I had accepted I wasn't getting any!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Got tickets. 472 euro deducted. Had applied for everyday morning and evening for the athletics. I think many who did not get tickets only wanted to go to glamour finals but if you were really interested one should have applied for all days and all sessions. Its the Olympic games so whatever events you get to should be acceptable. Some people only wanted the medal finals and nothing else and then complained that they got nothing. If you are interested in athletics you should have known it would be oversubscribed. If you applied for everyday and every session and still got nothing then that is very bad because at least u made the effort to get to some of the athletics.

To the previous two posters, when did you get charged for tickets?

i008787 wrote: »
    if you were really interested one should have applied for all days and all sessionss.

Yeh if I had thousands of euro lying around to throw on a credit card!!! :rolleyes:

I think travelling half way around the world to Daegu to watch the world championships shows that a person is "really interested" in athletics.

Many of us can't afford to apply for Olympic tickets for all sessions. The prices are ludicrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

i008787 wrote: »
    Got tickets. 472 euro deducted. Had applied for everyday morning and evening for the athletics. I think many who did not get tickets only wanted to go to glamour finals but if you were really interested one should have applied for all days and all sessions. Its the Olympic games so whatever events you get to should be acceptable. Some people only wanted the medal finals and nothing else and then complained that they got nothing. If you are interested in athletics you should have known it would be oversubscribed. If you applied for everyday and every session and still got nothing then that is very bad because at least u made the effort to get to some of the athletics.

You're joking right?? :confused:

Actually don't reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

[QUOTE= I think many who did not get tickets only wanted to go to glamour finals but if you were really interested one should have applied for all days and all sessions..[/QUOTE]

you gotta be joking....
    hammer qualifying, Discus qualifying...
    glamour finals I couldn't afford as the whole family want to go

but regardless, I got Zero...
    BUT...got email just now..
    From 6am on 24 June until 6pm on 3 July 2011 you will be able to request some of the remaining tickets on the London 2012 ticketing website
    These tickets will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. They cover a great range of Olympic sports including Athletics, Basketball, Football, Handball, Hockey and Volleyball
    http://media.ticketmaster.com/en-gb/img/sys/tournament/london2012/oly-athletic-a.pdf

had a look, cheapest athletics tickets are 150yoyo each....and that the morning session of day1....but as its the hammer & shot qual I'm still tempted.
    now I just need to figure out a way to afford tickets for all the family...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

you gotta be joking....
    hammer qualifying, Discus qualifying...
    glamour finals I couldn't afford as the whole family want to go

but regardless, I got Zero...
    BUT...got email just now..
    From 6am on 24 June until 6pm on 3 July 2011 you will be able to request some of the remaining tickets on the London 2012 ticketing website
    These tickets will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. They cover a great range of Olympic sports including Athletics, Basketball, Football, Handball, Hockey and Volleyball
    http://media.ticketmaster.com/en-gb/img/sys/tournament/london2012/oly-athletic-a.pdf

had a look, cheapest athletics tickets are 150yoyo each....and that the morning session of day1....but as its the hammer & shot qual I'm still tempted.
    now I just need to figure out a way to afford tickets for all the family...

Ah come on, 150 euro per person for that crap. Let's be honest, the only tickets left are the rejects for all the sh!te sports.

Also it was announced yesterday that there will be a £200 fine for anyone "caught" cycling in the olympic lanes. first of all none of us get tickets now this sh*t, I for one hope London never gets the olympics again.

• Advertisement

Advertisement