Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Olympic Athletics Days - which one?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

G-Money wrote: »
    Well it's 5.42am I'm awake and online. Am wondering am I mad to try even think about getting morning sessions...

I cant believe how expensive those morning sessions are. It is criminal to be honest, especially when compared with how much tickets to the World Championships are. I paid 20 euro to be right on the finish line, in the lower tier for a morning session for Daegu.

The "Olympic" brand multiplies the cost by about 8 for essentially the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Anyone get back in yet?

Just got in and tried resubmitting, got kicked out again at the payment step, unable to handle the traffic it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

At the payment page for the 4th time myself, still no luck. It was responsive for the first min or two but I wonder did I miss my chance as I wanted to double check there were no other sessions I wanted to see...

Speak of the devil, finally got through and got my application submitted. Went for the cheapest tickets for two morning sessions. Let's see if I get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I got my application through for the mon and tues morn sessions. That bank verification page caught me by surprise, had to ring my bro back home in Ireland for his password. Fingers crossed i get these now. Site was quiet for the first minute or so then it went mental.

• Advertisement

Now at the payment stage again, entering the extra card authentication stuff for the 3rd time.
    Getting the refreshing "Processing" page again...

Wait, just got successful, woohoo.

Bet the tickets I wanted are sold out already though. :rolleyes:

I got my application through for the mon and tues morn sessions. That bank verification page caught me by surprise, had to ring my bro back home in Ireland for his password. Fingers crossed i get these now. Site was quiet for the first minute or so then it went mental.

Are you Bank of Ireland? I've started getting that extra visa verification step too in the past week or so on various sites. Am glad I could remember the fecking password.

Yeah the first minute or two seemed grand then all hell broke loose. I wondered if I missed my opportunity by taking about 30 seconds extra to make sure there were no other athletics sessions I was trying to see.

Applied for morning sessions on the 7th and 8th.

Are you Bank of Ireland? I've started getting that extra visa verification step too in the past week or so on various sites. Am glad I could remember the fecking password.

Yeah the first minute or two seemed grand then all hell broke loose. I wondered if I missed my opportunity by taking about 30 seconds extra to make sure there were no other athletics sessions I was trying to see.

I had that crap too for the first time, damn thing wouldn't accept my details even though the info I supplied was correct. :mad:
    If I miss out now I'll be pretty pissed off, had originally submitted order at 06:01 without any site issues but had to ring the bank to sort the new authentication crap.

I guess we have to wait and see now if we get any tickets, that's the slightly frustrating part too. Although they say we will get confirmation within the next 48 hours...

I guess we have to wait and see now if we get any tickets, that's the slightly frustrating part too. Although they say we will get confirmation within the next 48 hours...

It's kinda stupid really, they say its first come, first served, so why can't they tell immediately whether or not the application was successful.

• Advertisement

It's kinda stupid really, they say its first come, first served, so why can't they tell immediately whether or not the application was successful.

My thoughts exactly.

No mine was Ulster Bank on my brothers account. That password prompt is coming up more and more these days to prevent fraud. Annoying when you cant remember it alright.

Yeah would be nice to know if i have them or not, lets hope they havent double booked some of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

04072511 wrote: »
    I cant believe how expensive those morning sessions are. It is criminal to be honest, especially when compared with how much tickets to the World Championships are. I paid 20 euro to be right on the finish line, in the lower tier for a morning session for Daegu.

The "Olympic" brand multiplies the cost by about 8 for essentially the exact same thing.

Do the posts on this board not illustrate the demand though compared to a world championships. I really think the olympic committee is between a rock and a hard place. I am not sure how they can respond to this kind of demand in a better way. It is certainly not criminal

And it's not the same thing as the worlds. Every athlete peaks for the Olympics - you cant say the same for a World championship that happens every year. The competition in all sports is at a higher level.

I heard someone on the BBC News last night saying getting tickets for Athens seemed to be handled much better. Was it not the same process or very similar?

steve9859 wrote: »
    Do the posts on this board not illustrate the demand though compared to a world championships. I really think the olympic committee is between a rock and a hard place. I am not sure how they can respond to this kind of demand in a better way. It is certainly not criminal

And it's not the same thing as the worlds. Every athlete peaks for the Olympics - you cant say the same for a World championship that happens every year. The competition in all sports is at a higher level.

Worlds are every 2 years, not every year.

It is ESSENTIALLY the same thing is what I said. Same athletes competing, same standards set down to qualify (actually Olympics is easier to qualify for as you have 2 years to get the standards while you only have 1 year to get the standard for Daegu).

Yes the Olympics are more important, but they aint 8 times more important to justify the amount of times the top tickets are more expensive by.

150 pounds for a top ticket to a morning session is criminal IMO. 20 euro for a top ticket to a morning session, right on the finish line, for the worlds, is about a fair price, especially considering Bolt will be jogging around with his eyes closed.

I heard someone on the BBC News last night saying getting tickets for Athens seemed to be handled much better. Was it not the same process or very similar?

8 years ago now, cant quite remember the exact details. I just remember buying them when they came on sale, about a year before the games i think. 55 and 85 euro were the 2 price categories or somehting like that. Only about half of the athletics nights were a sellout. Funny i had morning session tickets that i didnt bother using then and now i'm getting up at 6am to buy morning sessions for London! Beggers cant be choosers this time round!

8 years ago now, cant quite remember the exact details. I just remember buying them when they came on sale, about a year before the games i think. 55 and 85 euro were the 2 price categories or somehting like that. Only about half of the athletics nights were a sellout. Funny i had morning session tickets that i didnt bother using then and now i'm getting up at 6am to buy morning sessions for London! Beggers cant be choosers this time round!

I remember your quote from Barcelona last year very well...

Something along the lines of "You'd be hard pressed to find me at a morning session".

Of course the very next morning session you were sitting in the stands, witnessing the relay fiasco unfold :D

I remember your quote from Barcelona last year very well...

Something along the lines of "You'd be hard pressed to find me at a morning session".

Of course the very next morning session you were sitting in the stands, witnessing the relay fiasco unfold :D

It was a rest day from running for me that day and i had nothing better to do :D Honestly i've had tickets to 8 morning sessions now (usually included with the evening session) and thats the only one i've gone to. Usually just end up watching it in bed. So much easier! Those morning session in Barca cost 3 euro each, ffs! London ones 35 times more expensive. :eek:

Originally I didn't want any morning sessions but seeing I got nothing in the first round of ticket sales, I thought I'd give this a go. I'm not really interested in travelling to Brazil for the next Olympics so London is the best opportunity.

The organisers said they expect another 1 million tickets to become available towards the end of the year through returns and after they get seating allocations filled. I will be keeping an eye out as I want to get some tickets to the finals in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭runjb

It keeps saying the tickets are currently unavailable when I log in?? Any advice?

• Advertisement

It was a rest day from running for me that day and i had nothing better to do :D Honestly i've had tickets to 8 morning sessions now (usually included with the evening session) and thats the only one i've gone to. Usually just end up watching it in bed. So much easier! Those morning session in Barca cost 3 euro each, ffs! London ones 35 times more expensive. :eek:

I paid 6 euro for the cheapest morning session ticket for Daegu. 20 for the most expensive. There the only 2 I've gone for out of the 6. Probably wont bother with the rest. Watch the walks instead and cheer on Olive and Heff.

I'm not really interested in travelling to Brazil for the next Olympics so London is the best opportunity.

Brazil is absolutely awesome. I couldnt understand why anybody wouldnt want to travel there. The music, the food, the caipirinhias, the scenery, the weather, the beaches, the women.....:)

runjb wrote: »
    It keeps saying the tickets are currently unavailable when I log in?? Any advice?

I think that's a sign to go back to bed mate :)

All tickets went within a half an hour.

runjb wrote: »

Athletics are sold out, since about 6.35am. Have a look at the other sports, there will be an orange rectangle saying "buy tickets" if they are available.

Brazil is absolutely awesome. I couldnt understand why anybody wouldnt want to travel there. The music, the food, the caipirinhias, the scenery, the weather, the beaches, the women.....:)

Damn right, so much more exciting than London!

Rio-de-Janeiro.jpg

ipanemabeachriode-janeirobrazil.jpg

215277311_0ef8e49f54.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Is there much events left now lads? I can't check as I got some in the initial allocation. If there was Basketball left I might ask someone else to try for me.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Is there much events left now lads? I can't check as I got some in the initial allocation. If there was Basketball left I might ask someone else to try for me.

I just checked and I don't see any basketball tickets left .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Was hoping for both Basketball and Boxing. There was no basketball left at 9.30 this morning and only women boxing left so that's it for me no London 2012:(. All well there is always the TV but its just not the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭finbarrk

ebay next year I suppose!

Advertisement