Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Olympic Athletics Days - which one?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Was hoping for both Basketball and Boxing. There was no basketball left at 9.30 this morning and only women boxing left so that's it for me no London 2012:(. All well there is always the TV but its just not the same

Without trying to be harsh but when tickets are put on sale at 6am, and you don't log on until 9.30am, a full 3 and a half hours later, then you really are asking for trouble. Surely after the shambolics of the 1st round, you would have anticipated high demand, and would have been sitting at your computer at 5.58am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just got an email from the Olympic people. I missed out on tickets again! :( 2nd chance sales? More like 2nd chance to be left empty-handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

G-Money wrote: »
    Just got an email from the Olympic people. I missed out on tickets again! :( 2nd chance sales? More like 2nd chance to be left empty-handed.

I'm in the same boat - am f***in raging with BoI, can't believe they implemented that crap authentication system without telling anyone first. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Apparently there will be more tickets released in December so hopefully we will get first choice. 15,000 missed out although it looks like only 150,000 applied for tickets out of the 1.2 million who missed out and were eligible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13918958

We again missed out on Athletics tickets! Utter sickener. 3rd time now (1st round, 2nd round, and also a hospitality package we applied for).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

Got two for the mornign Athletics session on August 6 so should see Dervla O'Rourke in action - not sure what our 800m men are like but we'll surely have someone in the heats - it's tradition.

Gutted to be missing seeing Bolt in action but them's the breaks.

I can't see much being left for the final round of ticket offerings.

Just gotta sit and wait to see how much Ryanair put their flights to London up by - I reckon it could be a case of getting the ferry to Liverpool and the train down then.

ondeball wrote: »
    Got two for the mornign Athletics session on August 6 so should see Derval O'Rourke in action - not sure what our 800m men are like but we'll surely have someone in the heats - it's tradition.

Sorry to be pedantic.

Can I ask what time you managed to get the application through ?
    Can't understand why they couldn't use the standard ticketmaster system to assign tickets until the process was completed as per normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

Sorry to be pedantic.

Can I ask what time you managed to get the application through ?
    Can't understand why they couldn't use the standard ticketmaster system to assign tickets until the process was completed as per normal.

I've no idea how it eventually went through. I just got to the point where I kept refreshing when it timed out and my application for two sessions was registered. I was successful with one but I've no idea what it went through when everybody else's did not.

Just counting my blessings now.

Was hoping for both Basketball and Boxing. There was no basketball left at 9.30 this morning and only women boxing left so that's it for me no London 2012:(. All well there is always the TV but its just not the same

Should have gone for the womens boxing. I got that in the first round be great to hopefully see Katie Taylor take the gold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's kinda stupid really, they say its first come, first served, so why can't they tell immediately whether or not the application was successful.

Agreed.

Which caused me confusion over the weekend as I got an email saying that my brother had successfully used my log in to apply for tickets. So just assumed that when they had previously said it was first come first served that was actually what it was and we'd got lucky and all was OK. It was not first come first served, it was another lottery and Seb Coe clearly needs some help with a dictionary.

I was slightly addled in the head at the time however, as I was at the other event that is held most years in the UK and manages to sell 150,000 plus tickets to a couple of million people making applications without the same kind of issues. Glastonbury copes with selling a limited number of tickets when a huge number of people apply, but does not go through a ballot process for it. Yes, the website may crash and appear not to work for people, but if you get through and put in your card details it does not then send you a PFO email a couple of days later. :(:(:(

• Advertisement

They used a Ticketmaster system for the 2nd chance sale as well as the ballot and apparently it was the same system for both so it "wasn't designed for a first come, first served" sale.

Bit of a stupid excuse if you ask me. Ticketmaster is used for tons of concerts on a first come, first served basis so they should have just used that for the 2nd chance sale and the original one for the ballot.

Should have gone for the womens boxing. I got that in the first round be great to hopefully see Katie Taylor take the gold.

I did apply for this in the first round, amongst many more events in my £2k+ application, to no avail.

Diamond League at Crystal Palace LONDON has not sold out yet, and probably wont, even though the stadium is tiny and the best athletes in the world will be there.

I think those fat cats should take themselves down to Crystal Palace and brush up on a thing or two about athletics before they get to witness the Olympics from seats which the real fans would give their right arm for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

04072511 wrote: »
    Diamond League at Crystal Palace LONDON has not sold out yet, and probably wont, even though the stadium is tiny and the best athletes in the world will be there.

I think those fat cats should take themselves down to Crystal Palace and brush up on a thing or two about athletics before they get to witness the Olympics from seats which the real fans would give their right arm for.

why not start them off at a local county cross country race in december, :),

shels4ever wrote: »
    why not start them off at a local county cross country race in december, :),

In the frosty Scottish Highlands!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Just got a house for the first week. 3 bedrooms, €1,900.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

finbarrk wrote: »
    Just got a house for the first week. 3 bedrooms, €1,900.

Whereabouts Finbarrk?

Plenty of articles in the local papers here about "striking gold" by renting out your property for the olympics. The going rate is thought to be 3 times the standard rent for a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's in Queens Park. I am happy with it, near the tube and it also has a sofa bed in the sitting room.
    Spent a week trying for places, kept getting quoted £2,000 + for 2 bedroomed apartments.
    This is the company I got it with.
    http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/search/keywords:London%2C+United+Kingdom

Just an update from me and well there is no update really, still have a grand total of 0 tickets. I've missed out on a couple of european sales over the last week which has been mighty frustrating.

I'm thinking about possibly going ahead and booking some flights and accomodation soon in the hope to get them cheaper than if I leave it much later. The marathon is free to attend (mostly) so I was thinking about booking flights a few days before or after that for going over and coming back.

I guess the only risk is that I book them and then somehow manage to get tickets outside the dates I'm supposed to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I can sell some wrestling tickets to anyone that wants them.
    Face value.

• Advertisement

TheTubes wrote: »
    I can sell some wrestling tickets to anyone that wants them.
    Face value.

LOL

Oh this thread brings back painful memories!! :)

I'm not giving up hope. I've made some contacts from various countries when I was in Daegu, and some of them are in the press, so ya never know :) Perhaps one of them may be able to sort me out with a cheeky press pass. One can dream anyway.

Oh this thread brings back painful memories!! :)

I'm not giving up hope. I've made some contacts from various countries when I was in Daegu, and some of them are in the press, so ya never know :) Perhaps one of them may be able to sort me out with a cheeky press pass. One can dream anyway.

Don't hold your breath. You still have a womens boxing semi final ticket remember? Not sure i'll bother taking a half day to head down to that. Might offload them.

Don't hold your breath. You still have a womens boxing semi final ticket remember? Not sure i'll bother taking a half day to head down to that. Might offload them.

Ah keep them. You'd be kicking yourself if Katie makes it and you no longer had them. The craic would be mighty if she is fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Should have asked Seb while you had the chance!

I've got my ticket for the men's 1500 metres final, oh yeah, can't wait

Ah keep them. You'd be kicking yourself if Katie makes it and you no longer had them. The craic would be mighty if she is fighting.

You have one of them, no joke, i asked you if you wanted one when i was going for morning session tickets in the 2nd round and we ended up with only the boxing. There's 3 of them in total, the brothers won't be travelling for it so they're left with me. If your over you might as well go, it might be the only ticket you get.

I got mine for the Mens 5k final, beat that!

Should have asked Seb while you had the chance!

Yeh, actually I was in a press conference where Seb and a few others including Bubka (negative banter) and Frankie Fredericks (miserable banter) were getting their feet engraved into some hall of fame rubbish in the stadium. While it was going on we were free to ask questions. We were painfully close to asking Seb for some Olympic tickets in front of everybody in the room. Had he been surrounded by banterhounds like Darren Campbell or Maurice Greene then I probably would have done it. Tough to get a laugh out of Frankie and Sergei.

You have one of them, no joke, i asked you if you wanted one when i was going for morning session tickets in the 2nd round and we ended up with only the boxing. There's 3 of them in total, the brothers won't be travelling for it so they're left with me. If your over you might as well go, it might be the only ticket you get.

I will go, but keep your ticket aswell.

I'll get into the stadium. Mark my words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well I just got some flights through Aerlingus which weren't very cheap (no surprises there). I don't think Ryanair have any flights put up yet (sly!). Has anyone sorted out a hotel that is somewhat resonably priced? Don't care if it's a bit of a kip.

• Advertisement

Tempted to book some flights myself now, but with 0 Olympic tickets to my name it's hard to know what dates to go for.

Advertisement