Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Olympic Athletics Days - which one?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

^ Probably more chance in 2016, as for as much as we are priced out of the London tickets and limited by corporate ones I'd expect the locals in Brazil to be even more priced out than we are currently.

Maybe I'll be a multibazzillionaire owner of various corporate sponsors by then and will get loads of free tickets which will make things easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

At least they've announced what events there are still tickets for and at what prices so we have some time to work out what if anything we want to try and get.

Apparently the 100 metres is not sold out and there will be a few thousand more tickets released for it later in the year.

Not sure if I will try to buy any in this 2nd round. Even though there are Athletics tickets left, I want to see the Marathon but the stuff that still has tickets available is on about a week earlier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So nobody was interested in the volleyball then, and I bet the people who went and bought all the £30 tickets for the preliminary football in Coventry on the 1st August are kicking themselves that there are still £20 tickets available.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

robinph wrote: »
    ^ Probably more chance in 2016, as for as much as we are priced out of the London tickets and limited by corporate ones I'd expect the locals in Brazil to be even more priced out than we are currently.

Maybe I'll be a multibazzillionaire owner of various corporate sponsors by then and will get loads of free tickets which will make things easier.

Brazil not an option as taking my dad. He wouldn't be able to travel that far. Bummer, he really wanted to go, loved Athens :(.

Tickets available should Katie Taylor get thru to the end. Had applied for that thou wasn't needing a ringside seat.

Have a solitary corporate friend. Must invite him for dinner. Next week :cool:

LONDON 2012 Olympic organisers have apologised to the public after admitting that 1.2 million applicants had failed to secure tickets in the first public ballot. Two-thirds of the 1.9 million people who applied for tickets failed to receive a single seat, prompting the organisers to apologise.The latest figures of those who missed out are higher than previously suggested and mean that only 36pc of applicants (700,000) received any tickets. The organisers also said that 1.3 million people had applied for the 30,000 tickets that they revealed were available for the 100m final, the marquee event in the Olympic Stadium. Of the 61,000 tickets total, half had been allocated to the public. Early estimates had suggested that just 250,000 people might have been unlucky.

Paul Deighton, the chief executive of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (Locog), apologised and admitted that fewer tickets had been available than initially announced. Originally, Locog had said the public could apply for 6.6 million tickets. In fact, just 5.3 million were up for grabs in the first round -- a further 1.3 million were kept aside in case dignitaries, the media or bulky television cameras took up more seats than expected.

Of the 5.3 million available, just 3 million tickets have been allocated to the 700,000 successful applicants. No-one applied for the rest. Locog chairman Lord Coe said: "We are absolutely determined to get these available tickets to people who missed out. Our commitment is absolutely clear, we want two-thirds of the 1.9 million ticket applicants to get a ticket to the 2012 Games if they want."

Consumer groups said that the system had been "rigged" to fill stadiums, rather than give sports fans and taxpayers a chance to enjoy the games.
    Those who were not allocated any seats, including Olympic gold medal-winning cyclist Bradley Wiggins, will have the right to buy unsold tickets from the first round from next Friday, on a first-come, first-served basis.
    However, of the 2.3 million tickets left, 1.7 million are for football. The rest include a handful of tickets to the athletics. Most are for the more expensive seats. (© Daily Telegraph, London)
    - Harry Wallop and Jacquelin Magnay
    Irish Independent Saturday June 18th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Woke up this morning to find my ticket allocation in my inbox.

Got Atheltics, showjumping, handball and weighlifting so got nearly everything i applied for.

I got fierce lucky, can't believe i got nearly everything i went for. Must be one of the lucky few who did from reading on here.

Hope some of ye get good news in yer inbox as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I got the evening of 7th of august (AT009). Men's 1500 :) will loo into picking up some tickets for other sports now. Wasserstein sweating my allocation was going to coincide with the 4-5th of august as I wouldn't have been able to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

Boxing and handball. No athletics, not even morning qualifiers. Not exactly delighted really.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Wrestling - Greco-Roman.
    Disappointed.
    Had applied for a few other events aswell, were going to make a family holiday out of it but not sure if we will go now that its only for one event.
    Will hopefully try and get some other tickets.
    Apart from the second round, how difficult is it likely to be to get other tickets?
    Will individuals be able to sell unwanted tickets to eachother?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

TheTubes wrote: »
    Wrestling - Greco-Roman.
    Disappointed.
    Had applied for a few other events aswell, were going to make a family holiday out of it but not sure if we will go now that its only for one event.
    Will hopefully try and get some other tickets.
    Apart from the second round, how difficult is it likely to be to get other tickets?
    Will individuals be able to sell unwanted tickets to eachother?

I expect the system to crash at 6am Friday morning, and it will be restored as soon as anything worth getting will be gone, as Seb Coe and his b*m buddies all get whatever they want ahead of everyone else. :rolleyes:

This whole ticket thing has made me quite cynical :)

Edit, i wouldnt bother going over just for wrestling, you'll end up spending a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I just had an email confirming an allocation of 2 athletics tickets for the 11th august - 4x100m, 4x400m and 5k finals day. I'm delighted

I didnt put in for tens of thousands. I only applied for these, and some rowing, at just under €500 in total. So I guess I've been lucky, but obviously there were tickets made available for the small buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Got boxing, not 10000m final night as I was hoping. Anything I applied for I wanted to see but had myself convinced I had the 10000 so a little disappointed now!

I got a front row ticket to every event... in front of my TV :( :pac:

I got an email last week saying I got diddly squat in the first round of sales and saying I can try and book from this Friday at 6am. There are a couple of athletics events left but I think only one evening session and the cheapest ticket is £250, with the others being morning sessions which are still somewhat pricy.

I'd like to see the marathon and but it's several days after the evening session that there's tickets left for so even if I got it, I'd be screwing around doing nothing for several days.

Hmmmm, sort of torn between the feeling of "I should try and get tickets as it's a once in a lifetime event" and the "Screw it, I applied for stuff I wanted to see and got f*** all, forget it". Although that last option definitely has a little element of a teenage strop about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

G-Money wrote: »
    I got a front row ticket to every event... in front of my TV :( :pac:

I got an email last week saying I got diddly squat in the first round of sales and saying I can try and book from this Friday at 6am. There are a couple of athletics events left but I think only one evening session and the cheapest ticket is £250, with the others being morning sessions which are still somewhat pricy.

I'd like to see the marathon and but it's several days after the evening session that there's tickets left for so even if I got it, I'd be screwing around doing nothing for several days.

Hmmmm, sort of torn between the feeling of "I should try and get tickets as it's a once in a lifetime event" and the "Screw it, I applied for stuff I wanted to see and got f*** all, forget it". Although that last option definitely has a little element of a teenage strop about it :)

If the evening session that still has tickets left is the first evening (which I assume it is) then do not apply for it. Its a rubbish session in comparison to the others and forking out 250 pounds for it is insanity. You could get the entire championships in Daegu for less than that.

04072511 wrote: »
    If the evening session that still has tickets left is the first evening (which I assume it is) then do not apply for it. Its a rubbish session in comparison to the others and forking out 250 pounds for it is insanity. You could get the entire championships in Daegu for less than that.

Yeah it's the first night. Also checked and there's a £725 ticket for one of the last evenings. Not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I got an athletics night so I'm happy, it includes:

Women's 3000m Steeplechase Victory Ceremony
    Men's High Jump Final
    Women's Long Jump Qualifying Rounds - Groups A & B
    Women's 100m Hurdles Semifinals
    Women's Pole Vault Victory Ceremony
    Men's Discus Throw Final
    Men's 800m Semifinals
    Women's 200m Semifinals
    Men's 400m Victory Ceremony
    Men's 1500m Final
    Women's 100m Hurdles Final

I also got tickets for the womans boxing finals. Sure you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I got the same night as you Misty. A reasonably chance that we'll see Dervla in action. I also got the morning before which is a little quieter but includes the first set of 100m hurdles heats.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Got men's 100 final and women's boxing finals (here's hoping Katie Taylor is able to do it for us!)
    Am surprised that we got the men's 100- to be honest I did put in for expensive tickets (relatively for us!) but didn't think we'd get them.
    So we have Sunday night in the Olympic stadium and Thursday in the the boxing arena
    I'm going to look into seeing what else I can get my hands on now, I'm greedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I got an athletics night so I'm happy, it includes:

Women's 3000m Steeplechase Victory Ceremony
    Men's High Jump Final
    Women's Long Jump Qualifying Rounds - Groups A & B
    Women's 100m Hurdles Semifinals
    Women's Pole Vault Victory Ceremony
    Men's Discus Throw Final
    Men's 800m Semifinals
    Women's 200m Semifinals
    Men's 400m Victory Ceremony
    Men's 1500m Final
    Women's 100m Hurdles Final

Jealous! The night of Derval's semi final and final (touching a good chunk of wood of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Got men's 100 final and women's boxing finals (here's hoping Katie Taylor is able to do it for us!)
    Am surprised that we got the men's 100- to be honest I did put in for expensive tickets (relatively for us!) but didn't think we'd get them.
    So we have Sunday night in the Olympic stadium and Thursday in the the boxing arena
    I'm going to look into seeing what else I can get my hands on now, I'm greedy

Question W.B, I got the evening session 10 Aug Athletics, which im happy about, however I had applied but missed out on Aug 4th for bring my kids. Do we have to wait until the next ticket lotters on July 6 - 17 to try again for the remaining tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 podge84

I got the following

Session code: AT013
    Venue: OLYMPIC STADIUM
    Date/Time: 09 AUGUST 2012 18:30
    Price category: E
    Quantity: 4

Applied for over £3000 worth of swimming and athletic tickets so little disappointed but at least i got something. have to sort out accomadation now and flights. Most hotels dont take bookings till 1 year in advance whats everyone else who got tickets doing about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Question W.B, I got the evening session 10 Aug Athletics, which im happy about, however I had applied but missed out on Aug 4th for bring my kids. Do we have to wait until the next ticket lotters on July 6 - 17 to try again for the remaining tickets?

As far as I know that's what we have to do: wait and see what's left on July 6th and then get on the www

So who is getting up tomorrow morning to try and get tickets??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

So who is getting up tomorrow morning to try and get tickets??

Trying to get someone down under to do the dirty work for me as we speak ;) It would be afternoon then.

Failing that i may have to take the plunge myself :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

Def will be.

Priority will be on getting into the stadium for one of the morning sessions now. Tehre some available for the evening sessions on August 3rd but the prices are eithe £295 or £450 so doubt I'll go for that.

I think I might try and get 3 morning session tickets. As far as I know there is a limit of 3 sessions that you can apply for. I might try and get them for later in the week so as to tie in with the marathon on the Sunday.

I got a front row ticket to every event... in front of my TV

Hmmmm, sort of torn between the feeling of "I should try and get tickets as it's a once in a lifetime event" and the "Screw it, I applied for stuff I wanted to see and got f*** all, forget it". Although that last option definitely has a little element of a teenage strop about it

Go with The Teenage Strop!

Those morning sessions are athmospherically dead.

Well done to everyone who got Golden Tickets today.

I'm really happy for you all :rolleyes::mad::P:mad::):mad::pac::mad::D:mad::cool::mad::o:mad:;)

Well it's 5.42am I'm awake and online. Am wondering am I mad to try even think about getting morning sessions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Logged in, added my required session, went through the processing page, submitted By 06:01 and the next thing I get is some new bank of Ireland 3d authentication crap that tells me I'm entering the wrong info even though I'm entering the right details.
    On the phone to BoI, by the time I get it sorted and submit the order, the damn site is overloaded.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ergo

FFS, can't believe I got up early for this ticket site to crash again...it seems :mad:

Advertisement