Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Olympic Athletics Days - which one?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I didn't apply for morning sessions as most of the time there was very little track action scheduled to happen, perhaps one event during the entire morning session that I wanted to see and that was it. So I decided to save the money and try to get to more of the evening events.

I applied for every evening of the athletics.

Just wondering if I should apply for something during this 2nd round thing in the next few weeks just so I have something to go to.

I really wanted to get into the Olympic stadium though :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think I had a couple of morning sessions of athletics and one evening session. Also had early heats for swimming, but not the days that Addlington would be in the pool. Not even got the eventing which shouldn't really have had much of a limit on it, although I was never going to that personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I read a comment earlier today under a Guardian article about this farce and somebody made an interesting point....

Maybe the only tickets for athletics that are oversubscribed are the 50 and 95/125 ones as there are virtually none of them available in the first place, and perhaps all the rest will still be available come the 2nd round, and loads of us disgruntled fans will come crawling back at the prospect of a "2nd bite of the cherry" and spend hundreds on tickets, therefore increasing revenue for Coe and co.

Suppose there is the option of a hospitality package, but prices are fairly inflated for those, and I dont particularly need a hotel as I know loads of people in London that I can stay with!

04072511 wrote: »
    I read a comment earlier today under a Guardian article about this farce and somebody made an interesting point....

Maybe the only tickets for athletics that are oversubscribed are the 50 and 95/125 ones as there are virtually none of them available in the first place, and perhaps all the rest will still be available come the 2nd round, and loads of us disgruntled fans will come crawling back at the prospect of a "2nd bite of the cherry" and spend hundreds on tickets, therefore increasing revenue for Coe and co.

Suppose there is the option of a hospitality package, but prices are fairly inflated for those, and I dont particularly need a hotel as I know loads of people in London that I can stay with!

Would be nice if athletics tickets came up in the 2nd round. Apparently we will get an email soon with details of when and how to apply and it will be first come, first served and you will know straight away what you've got tickets for.

I checked Thompson who are doing packages for this and their selection of athletics events seemed pretty bad. Admittedly I didn't spend ages looking either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

You can stick me on the losers list:

G-Money
    robinph
    ecoli
    spurscormac
    Bella-mama
    Peckham

• Advertisement

Peckham wrote: »
    You can stick me on the losers list:

G-Money
    robinph
    ecoli
    spurscormac
    Bella-mama
    Peckham

We have enough of us for a 400m race now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Good news is I have found a way to get tickets for the mens 10,000m................................. bad news is its about 2,500 more than planned budget:(. How can they justify weekend packages for £3000:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

ecoli wrote: »
    How can they justify weekend packages for £3000:eek::eek:

Maybe you get a medal?

ecoli wrote: »
    Good news is I have found a way to get tickets for the mens 10,000m................................. bad news is its about 2,500 more than planned budget:(. How can they justify weekend packages for £3000:eek::eek:

Jaysus, I'd want to be firing the starting gun and presenting the medals myself to justify that price!!

04072511 wrote: »
    Jaysus, I'd want to be firing the starting gun and presenting the medals myself to justify that price!!

Looking through the page looking for the following small print

*price includes genuine Olympic medal as souvenir presented by newly crowned Olympic champion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

G-Money wrote: »
    I really wanted to get into the Olympic stadium though :(

West Ham vs Burnley in the 2013 championship season, be there! :rolleyes:

Just seen the following tweet from James Pearce, BBC Sports editor.

"For those with no #olympictickets remember that you'll definitely get something in second round. Lots left for team sports, so don't despair"

Just seen the following tweet from James Pearce, BBC Sports editor.

"For those with no #olympictickets remember that you'll definitely get something in second round. Lots left for team sports, so don't despair"

Ticketing company : " Oh you are an athletics fan?"
    Me: "Yeah fanatical its all I applied for"
    Ticketing company : "Well you didnt get that, how bout water polo tickets?"
    Me: "Thats not what I applied for"
    Ticketing company: "Oh well buck up, how bout some rowing tickets"
    Me: :mad:^See previous^:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Assuming 1 million people applied for 100 metre final and at a guess 80% of them applied for cheapest 50 pound tickets then about one in 400,000 assuming most people applied for 2 tickets.

Mr Bhadreshwara got the cheapest tickets available - which still work out at just under £5 a second for the 100m dash.

Good to see that this gentleman is interested in the other events taking place that evening!

Still nothing. Just checked my credit card online and nothing has appeared. I guess it's official now. Hard to believe I got nothing at all out of applying for about 7 or 8 nights of athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Still nothing. Just checked my credit card online and nothing has appeared. I guess it's official now. Hard to believe I got nothing at all out of applying for about 7 or 8 nights of athletics.

Yeah its a sickener alright. But when i heard about the 1 million applicants for 40,000 tickets for the Bolt night i knew we were in trouble and i had a feeling i wouldnt get tickets to any of the athletics.

Yeah, I suppose we still have the chance to get tickets to the egg and spoon races now in a few weeks time. First preference too :pac:

Yeah its a sickener alright. But when i heard about the 1 million applicants for 40,000 tickets for the Bolt night i knew we were in trouble and i had a feeling i wouldnt get tickets to any of the athletics.

I am completely bitter towards that guy in the article who applied for nothing but the 100m final, and cared little for it before Bolt, and cares little for the rest of the world class athletes on show that night.

I dont care that I am being bitter. :D

Such hype anyway. 100m is sh1te live anyway. 200m and 400m far better when in the stadium. Unless you have a very good seat then you will innevitably look up at the big screen towards the end of the race to see who wins. The best part of the 100m live is being right at the start line for the build up and tension, the silence and then the gun going off. We did that in Barca and it was fantastic. But if you have a nosebleed seat then you dont even experience that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Paul Hession's Twitter about 20 minutes ago:
    No London 2012 tickets for my family & girlfriend despite applying 4 times over. It's a bitter pill to swallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nada for myself either. even though I applied for a good few events. Will head over and watch the marathon anyway - at least its one running event I can see (hopefully - surely all the route is not a ticketed affair thou it wouldn't surprise me!).

I'm sure I'll apply for other tickets on the 2nd round although with my luck even if I was the only person in the draw, I probably still wouldn't get any.

Yeah might possibly go for other events myself. Would be good if they gave us a few days notice of what events are still available before opening up the sale window.

Most of the marathon route is free, but the finish is ticketed. As far as I know, they are doing 3 laps on the marathon so you should get to see them a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There is €204 gone from my card. Not great seeing as I had applied for around €2000 worth of tickets.
    When is this second round of sales on I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394064/London-2012-Olympics-Corporate-fat-cats-half-Games-tickets.html#ixzz1OS0kiJ7R

City fat cats emerged victorious in the battle for Olympics tickets yesterday as organisers admitted that less than half the seats at showpiece events are earmarked for the public.

The majority are ‘freebies’ going to a parade of corporate sponsors, Olympic bigwigs and their VIP guests.

A quarter of a million applicants failed to get a single ticket in the public ballot. But now it has emerged that only 32,000 out of 80,000 seats in the Olympic stadium – about four in ten – were even available to them for the most popular events.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394064/London-2012-Olympics-Corporate-fat-cats-half-Games-tickets.html#ixzz1OS0kiJ7R

City fat cats emerged victorious in the battle for Olympics tickets yesterday as organisers admitted that less than half the seats at showpiece events are earmarked for the public.

The majority are ‘freebies’ going to a parade of corporate sponsors, Olympic bigwigs and their VIP guests.

A quarter of a million applicants failed to get a single ticket in the public ballot. But now it has emerged that only 32,000 out of 80,000 seats in the Olympic stadium – about four in ten – were even available to them for the most popular events.

I vommited a wee bit when reading that :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They are now saying that half of the 1.8 million that applied didn't get anything, bit of a jump from the 250,000 that they were claiming last week.

robinph wrote: »
    They are now saying that half of the 1.8 million that applied didn't get anything, bit of a jump from the 250,000 that they were claiming last week.

Actually read it was 1 million of the 1.8 that didn't get tickets.

• Advertisement

I would still say there is a chance in the second ballot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13670354

Advertisement